PDA

View Full Version : Kernels Opening Day Roster Released

Jim Crikket
04-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Pitchers: Atherton, Boyd, Duffey, Gruver, Hurlbut, Jones (Tyler), Lee, Mazza, Melotakis, Rogers, Soliman, Tomshaw

Catchers: Arias, Grimes, Rodriguez

Infielders: Goodrum, Harrison, Hicks, Leachman, Pimentel, Polanco

Outfielders: Buxton, Jimenez, Walker, Williams

Inactive: Gallant, Shibuya, Quesada, Bryant, Roberts

jay
04-01-2013, 02:03 PM
No Kepler? Huh??

Vervehound
04-01-2013, 02:12 PM
also missing is angel mata....

glunn
04-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Thanks for posting this, Jim. It would be great if you could give us your thoughts as to the strengths and weaknesses of the players.

tcarlic
04-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Kepler to repeat E-town for the third time? Seems a bit odd.

bobby_baseball
04-01-2013, 02:42 PM
also missing is angel mata....

Also missing Berrios & Luke Bard...

Jim Crikket
04-01-2013, 02:47 PM
Kepler has an elbow issue and won't be added to the roster until it's resolved, hopefully by the end of the month. Berrios and Bard are supposedly getting their arms stretched out and would be added when they're ready to go deeper in to games. Wouldn't surprise me at all if all three miraculously are ready at about the same time game time temperatures in Cedar Rapids start hitting 65 degrees.

I was surprised by a couple of names. I know Soliman is coming back from injury, but I thought he would return to high A. I'm not sure what difference it makes who's DL you're listed on, but Nate Roberts being on the Kernels roster in that capacity is curious.

This should be a really good ballclub. The offense should put up plenty of runs and the pitching, if/when Berrios and Bard are added to the rotation, should be pretty darn good, too.

roger
04-01-2013, 02:50 PM
Kepler to repeat E-town for the third time? Seems a bit odd.

Kepler is injured. Will stay back in Florida for a bit.

MWLFan
04-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Would love to go this weekend, but have business in Dubuque and can't get away. Really excited to see this team, which like last years Snappers squad has good offensive prospects and then tops off with some high prospect arms to match. This could be a real fun year for a Twins fan in the MWL. Hopefully Kepler, Berrios and Bard are up soon. can't wait to hear JC and Seth's impressions of the team.

Vervehound
04-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Also missing Berrios & Luke Bard...

it was announced they were both in extended spring training getting stretched out. i'd guess they'll be up before may and bump rogers and jones to ft. myers.

60ft6in
04-01-2013, 04:33 PM
I believe Beloit ran with 2 catchers the entire season. CR has 3 plus Quesada on the inactive until end of month. Seems like alot. Then again looking at all the rosters we seem to be carrying more catchers then I remember. Does Rodriguez go up? Ft Myers has 2 plus our out/c we just picked up.

Jim Crikket
04-01-2013, 05:17 PM
When those 4 guys on the DL are activated, along with Quesada and, presumably, Berrios, Bard and Kepler, there are going to be a lot of decisions to be made. It's not like the levels above CR are all opening the year with openings on their rosters. A few guys might want to really think hard about getting off to a fast start.

IdahoPilgrim
04-01-2013, 05:47 PM
When those 4 guys on the DL are activated, along with Quesada and, presumably, Berrios, Bard and Kepler, there are going to be a lot of decisions to be made. It's not like the levels above CR are all opening the year with openings on their rosters. A few guys might want to really think hard about getting off to a fast start.
It's going to be a while for Quesada, isn't it? Doesn't he have time to serve in suspension that doesn't start until the short-season leagues start? Like Vargas last year?

Jim Crikket
04-01-2013, 05:55 PM
It's going to be a while for Quesada, isn't it? Doesn't he have time to serve in suspension that doesn't start until the short-season leagues start? Like Vargas last year?

Quesada Tweeted last week that he got great news, that the remainder of his suspension would run based on CR's season, not Elizabethton's. Not sure if they changed the rule or some other circumstance resulted in him getting treated differently. But if it's true, it's great news for him, obviously. I'm not sure how many days he has left, but I was thinking it's about a month for some reason.

Thrylos
04-01-2013, 05:58 PM
The other weird assignment here is Leachman. He should be at least in A+ in his age.

Jim Crikket
04-01-2013, 06:23 PM
Figure Leachman or Williams get bumped up when Kepler is ready.

Thrylos
04-01-2013, 06:35 PM
or Leachman goes the Liddle way...

Jim Crikket
04-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Regardless of the level you're starting at, this would not be a good season to be a Twins minor leaguer who gets off to a really slow start.

lightfoot789
04-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Matt Tomshaw was very good in his short stay in Fort Myers (Miracle) 2 years ago during draft year. He was then sent to Beloit for the beginning of the 2012 season and pitched extremely well while healthy. I was told he had an excellent spring training and is now moving to bullpen. Why would and should he be sent to CR? He deserves to be in Ft. Myers based on performance and age in my opinion. He is my under the radar pitcher for 2013. He almost always has a productive outing. 4 to 5 pitches and throws srikes!! Anyone with a career 2.92 ERA deserves a chance to fail moving forward..............

clutterheart
04-01-2013, 08:57 PM
In my opinion, Tomshaw does not get enough strike outs to be considered a sleeper. I think he has a slow fastball but uses deception to get outs.
He is a good prospect to have in low levels but advanced bats will eat him alive.

Shane Wahl
04-01-2013, 09:17 PM

Well the filler at the top in AAA might be jettisoned and that could hopefully cause a movement up throughout the system.

Jim Crikket
04-01-2013, 11:20 PM
Thanks for posting this, Jim. It would be great if you could give us your thoughts as to the strengths and weaknesses of the players.

glunn, you might find the following link of some interest. My Evil Twin, SD Buhr of MetroSportsReport.com compiled some information about each of the players on the Kernels opening day roster, with the help of course of the research done by Seth, Jeremy and Cody in their Prospect Handbook.

Buxton coming to town with Kernels (http://metrosportsreport.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11805:buxton-coming-to-town-with-kernels&catid=234:kernels-home&Itemid=429)

glunn
04-01-2013, 11:30 PM
glunn, you might find the following link of some interest. My Evil Twin, SD Buhr of MetroSportsReport.com compiled some information about each of the players on the Kernels opening day roster, with the help of course of the research done by Seth, Jeremy and Cody in their Prospect Handbook.

Buxton coming to town with Kernels (http://metrosportsreport.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11805:buxton-coming-to-town-with-kernels&catid=234:kernels-home&Itemid=429)

Thanks, Jim. That is exactly what I was hoping for.

Jim Crikket
04-01-2013, 11:42 PM
Glad you found it of interest, glunn. It has been suggested it was too long and few would be interested in reading that much info.

glunn
04-02-2013, 01:07 AM
Glad you found it of interest, glunn. It has been suggested it was too long and few would be interested in reading that much info.

I did not think that it was too long. I would not have minded more.

Rosterman
04-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Anyone know what happened to Reggie Williams? No Hein Robb at A-ball yet. Updated rosters at Minnesota Twins Baseball Cards, Autographs, Publications, Memorabilia, Players, Stats, History, Collectibles (http://www.twinscards.com).

jay
04-02-2013, 03:38 PM
I'm eyeing a half-day on June 7th to get down to CR in time for the Buxton vs Correa battle, #1 vs #2 in the draft. Should be a great team there in CR this year.

Jeremy Nygaard
04-02-2013, 03:53 PM
Anyone know what happened to Reggie Williams? No Hein Robb at A-ball yet. Updated rosters at Minnesota Twins Baseball Cards, Autographs, Publications, Memorabilia, Players, Stats, History, Collectibles (http://www.twinscards.com).

Reggie Williams hasn't been in the organization for at least a couple of years. Hein Robb will be one of the guys that comes up in the the next month or two. Rory Rhodes, Christian Powell and Angel Mata are some others... along with Bard (potentially) and Jose Berrios.

Thrylos
04-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Reggie Williams hasn't been in the organization for at least a couple of years. Hein Robb will be one of the guys that comes up in the the next month or two. Rory Rhodes, Christian Powell and Angel Mata are some others... along with Bard (potentially) and Jose Berrios.

Add Josh Burris to the players who will come in a month or so to Cedar Rapids, his rehab is going pretty well from what I hear.

Also an outside (but decent) chance is that Andrew Ferreira (2012 32nd Round pick from Hahvahd) will be up there after ST. Totally reminds me of Mitch Williams at this point.

Jim Crikket
04-02-2013, 10:08 PM
This discussion drives home another major difference between the current Twins organization and the Kernels' former parent, the Angels

Even if/when some of the best Kernels on the Opening Day roster get promoted, there are a number of very promising prospects coming up behind them right now to finish out the season. That simply was not the case with the Angels in recent years.

Vervehound
04-02-2013, 10:21 PM
This discussion drives home another major difference between the current Twins organization and the Kernels' former parent, the Angels

Even if/when some of the best Kernels on the Opening Day roster get promoted, there are a number of very promising prospects coming up behind them right now to finish out the season. That simply was not the case with the Angels in recent years.
...nor was it the case with the twins in recent years.