PDA

View Full Version : Android tablet and phone users, please read

Brock Beauchamp
03-30-2013, 09:19 AM
Hey, I'm trying to figure out how the mobile skin handles resolution. If you use TD on an Android tablet or phone, which skin is/was the default for you? The mobile skin (light blue, very simple) or the full skin (red and blue, much more complex)?

If you could tell me the skin that you see by default (not the one you switched to by choice) and what device you're using, that'd be keen. Thanks.

Mr. Brooks
03-30-2013, 10:58 AM
With my Android phone, the default for me is the full skin.

Brock Beauchamp
03-30-2013, 11:39 AM
With my Android phone, the default for me is the full skin.

What phone do you use?

Mr. Brooks
03-30-2013, 11:43 AM
what phone do you use?

htc evo 4g

Brock Beauchamp
03-30-2013, 11:55 AM
Ugh. I am so bent at Android/Google right now. Apple's method of telling the browser its display specs is so freakin' superior to Android.

I'm coming to the conclusion that there is no way to differentiate an Android phone from a tablet. What a cluster****. Fail, Google. Big, fat, FAIL.

Mr. Brooks
03-30-2013, 12:08 PM
Ugh. I am so bent at Android/Google right now. Apple's method of telling the browser its display specs is so freakin' superior to Android.

I'm coming to the conclusion that there is no way to differentiate an Android phone from a tablet. What a cluster****. Fail, Google. Big, fat, FAIL.

If it makes you feel any better I'm switching to Apple when my contract is up in June.

Jeremy Nygaard
03-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Galaxy S III- full skin.

Brock Beauchamp
03-30-2013, 12:21 PM
Galaxy S III- full skin.

That's what I've gathered by asking around for screenshots of the site.

This is going to require a massive re-thinking of how this site is coded.

Um, yay?

ADHFLASDJFLKSGHALDKSGHALSKDHKGAJHDSLFHASIEHFIAWGHD

*deep breath*

;AKLDJ;ALSHJFA;LDJHF;LAKHDFALKDHFALK;SFAL;KSFJDSL; KJFA;LS

SweetOne69
03-30-2013, 06:41 PM
I have both the Samsung galaxy s3 and the tab and both come up with the mobile skin.

Brock Beauchamp
03-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Which Tab do you have?

Chance
03-30-2013, 07:13 PM
I Phone 4. I have the full skin

mike wants wins
04-01-2013, 07:53 AM
HTC Rezound, bule skin, love it.

BTW, on my iPad, when I first go to the site through Chrome, I get some kind of error "something is not right here, admin requests higher level of something....", then I hit back, then reopen and it opens.....

Brock Beauchamp
04-01-2013, 09:24 AM
HTC Rezound, bule skin, love it.

BTW, on my iPad, when I first go to the site through Chrome, I get some kind of error "something is not right here, admin requests higher level of something....", then I hit back, then reopen and it opens.....

Huh. I'll check it out. Thanks.

powrwrap
04-01-2013, 09:35 AM
I've got a Motorola Razr Maxx HD. Looks like it's the full skin? (red/blue).

http://i46.tinypic.com/25umemb.jpg

mike wants wins
04-01-2013, 11:01 AM
well, I do have the red icons like that, so maybe full then....

Brock Beauchamp
04-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Powrwrap, that is the mobile skin.

SweetOne69
04-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Which Tab do you have?

Galaxy Tab 2 (7").

James
04-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Brock-

I'm on a Droid Razr at the moment and it's coming up with the mobile skin when using both the chrome browser and the stock android browser. My galaxy nexus just melted a few weeks ago and it loaded up on the mobile browser as well.

Both these phones were running android 4.1.2 (Jellybean) if that makes any difference. I doubt it, but maybe.

minn55441
04-01-2013, 11:35 AM
galaxy s3 and it went to the mobile AP.

Brock Beauchamp
04-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Brock-

I'm on a Droid Razr at the moment and it's coming up with the mobile skin when using both the chrome browser and the stock android browser. My galaxy nexus just melted a few weeks ago and it loaded up on the mobile browser as well.

Both these phones were running android 4.1.2 (Jellybean) if that makes any difference. I doubt it, but maybe.

Thanks. I'm going to have to buy an Android tablet just for code-checking... I'll probably wait for the new Nexus 7 tablet, which will probably be announced at Google I/O in mid-May.

TheKace
04-01-2013, 12:01 PM

Just download Dolphin Browser. You can set your User Agent to whatever you'd like for webpage rendering. You can even customize individual pages to individual User Agents. The advantage you'll always have using Android is being able to customize the user experience to something that you want. Sometimes it just takes a little work which can be cumbersome to some.

Brock Beauchamp
04-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Wrong.

Just download Dolphin Browser. You can set your User Agent to whatever you'd like for webpage rendering. You can even customize individual pages to individual User Agents. The advantage you'll always have using Android is being able to customize the user experience to something that you want. Sometimes it just takes a little work which can be cumbersome to some.

You realize that I'm saying this as a developer and not an end-user, right? I know plenty of ways to circumvent this problem on a single device but as a developer, I need to find solutions that work under as many environments as possible.

Asking users to download a third party browser has no bearing on this problem, really. The vast majority of users will use whatever browser comes with the phone by default (one of my biggest annoyances with Android... First, they didn't release Chrome for the OS for years and then when they did, some developers ignored it and continued to use their own in-house browser).

Android is super-customizable but it's also a friggin' mess from a development standpoint. Most users still don't even run a version of the OS that supports Chrome, despite the fact that Android started bundling Chrome with Ice Cream Sandwich, which released in October of 2011.

I love some of the stuff Google is doing with Android but as a developer, I'll take Apple's system 105% of the time over Android. It's becoming a complete nightmare to sort device/display issues when tablets are running 1280 resolutions and phones are running 1920 resolutions and some of the manufacturers are doing a lousy job of staying standards-compliant. Allowing manufacturers to make your operating system a free-for-all is good for innovation but it also allows some really bad decisions to be made in place of logical, standards-compliant decisions.

TheKace
04-01-2013, 12:06 PM
You realize that I'm saying this as a developer and not an end-user, right? I know plenty of ways to circumvent this problem but as a developer, I need to find solutions that work under as many environments as possible.

Asking users to download a third party browser has no bearing on this problem, really.

My bad, I did not know that.

mike wants wins
04-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Ubuntu will fix all that for you Brock, just wait......:th_alc:

Brock Beauchamp
04-01-2013, 12:26 PM
Ubuntu will fix all that for you Brock, just wait......:th_alc:

Don't even get me started on Linux. Fantastic server OS but I have absolutely zero use for it past that point (excepting the *nix-based OSes OSX, iOS, Android).

TheKace
04-01-2013, 01:31 PM
You realize that I'm saying this as a developer and not an end-user, right? I know plenty of ways to circumvent this problem on a single device but as a developer, I need to find solutions that work under as many environments as possible.

Asking users to download a third party browser has no bearing on this problem, really. The vast majority of users will use whatever browser comes with the phone by default (one of my biggest annoyances with Android... First, they didn't release Chrome for the OS for years and then when they did, some developers ignored it and continued to use their own in-house browser).

Android is super-customizable but it's also a friggin' mess from a development standpoint. Most users still don't even run a version of the OS that supports Chrome, despite the fact that Android started bundling Chrome with Ice Cream Sandwich, which released in October of 2011.

I love some of the stuff Google is doing with Android but as a developer, I'll take Apple's system 105% of the time over Android. It's becoming a complete nightmare to sort device/display issues when tablets are running 1280 resolutions and phones are running 1920 resolutions and some of the manufacturers are doing a lousy job of staying standards-compliant. Allowing manufacturers to make your operating system a free-for-all is good for innovation but it also allows some really bad decisions to be made in place of logical, standards-compliant decisions.

I appreciate the insight. And to help your project, here's what my phone (Nexus 4) looks like on default using Chrome:

Brock Beauchamp
04-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Excellent, thanks. That's the mobile browser. This issue seems to be rare enough that I don't think I'll need to take action on it for awhile.... At least until 1080p Android phones become more commonplace.

TheKace
04-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Excellent, thanks. That's the mobile browser. This issue seems to be rare enough that I don't think I'll need to take action on it for awhile.... At least until 1080p Android phones become more commonplace.

As a developer, what's your opinion on Blackberry 10 and Windows Phone 8?

Brock Beauchamp
04-01-2013, 02:04 PM
As a developer, what's your opinion on Blackberry 10 and Windows Phone 8?

I haven't toyed with either long enough to form a salient opinion.

I really love the UI on Windows 8 phones, though. For my money, Microsoft has the best UIX in the business (as odd as that is to say). i heart Metro.

BlackBerry is dying. They've bungled every opportunity they've had and should have dropped their OS entirely and moved to Android (or, better yet, they should have actively pursued an acquisition by Microsoft to hold on to their enterprise market). At least at that point, they'd regain developer support but with their ever-dwindling marketshare (now somewhere south of 5%), no developer has a real reason to dedicate valuable resources to the (all new again) platform.

James
04-01-2013, 09:26 PM
I just tried TD on my old HTC G2. It pulled up the mobile skin as well. This one running the stock browser on Android 2.3.4 (ginger bread).

mike wants wins
04-05-2013, 08:50 AM
Still getting that error on the iPad when I first go here on Chrome. I'll try to take a picture and post it this weekend.....

TheKace
04-05-2013, 11:10 AM
Thanks. I'm going to have to buy an Android tablet just for code-checking... I'll probably wait for the new Nexus 7 tablet, which will probably be announced at Google I/O in mid-May.

Here's TD on the current Nexus 7:

Brock Beauchamp
04-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Here's TD on the current Nexus 7:

So you're getting the mobile skin on the Nexus 7.

/facepalm

I'm not really sure how I'm going to do this without a complete redesign... I'll have to think about this long and hard.

Badsmerf
04-10-2013, 03:04 PM
Mobile skin on the S3 for me. Never has loaded the full version.

wabene
04-29-2013, 09:50 AM
I am getting the mobile skin on my Nexus 7. Also in the series preview posts I can't read the stats fully.

spycake
05-02-2013, 11:04 AM
Could there be tiny "Standard" and "Mobile" links at the top of the site to override the default skin and also set a cookie to remember the user's preference? Don't know the details of the site's software, and I don't have a tablet so it hasn't been an issue for me, but perhaps that way a user could easily circumvent default skinning if they wanted to.

Brock Beauchamp
05-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Could there be tiny "Standard" and "Mobile" links at the top of the site to override the default skin and also set a cookie to remember the user's preference? Don't know the details of the site's software, and I don't have a tablet so it hasn't been an issue for me, but perhaps that way a user could easily circumvent default skinning if they wanted to.

Why, thank you for asking such an appropriate question.

There is such a feature!

At the bottom of every page, there will be an option available to every user.

- If you're on mobile, it should say something like "Use Full Site/Skin" or something like that.

- If you're on desktop, there should be a dropdown menu on the bottom left of the page. Choose "Twins Daily Mobile" to switch to the mobile skin.

snepp
05-02-2013, 12:34 PM
At the bottom of every page, there will be an option available to every user.

I don't know if this is browser related or what, but that dropdown box on XP/Firefox starts out with an empty field. If you don't click on it you'd never know what purpose it serves. If it's coming up blank on other people's display they may never realize that the style can get changed.

spycake
05-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Brock: nice feature! Thanks for anticipating my suggestion! Although like snepp, I too see the blank selection by default -- but only when I'm logged in (which I usually am). If I look at the site in a new browser, not logged in, I see "Twins Daily 3.0" as the default.

Although it's probably more important to switch the other way, and I do indeed see the "Full Site" link at the bottom of the mobile pages.

Brock Beauchamp
05-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Huh. That's interesting. I'll look into it. To answer off the cuff, I'd speculate that it has something to do with me deleting old themes and your accounts being older than the theme change. Dunno, have to look into it.

snepp
05-02-2013, 07:10 PM
To answer off the cuff, I'd speculate that it has something to do with me deleting old themes and your accounts being older than the theme change.

I think that's it. Once I re-selected the 3.0 theme it stayed displayed in the box.