PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Movements

Pages : [1] 2

Jeremy Nygaard
03-28-2013, 03:16 PM
From a variety of sources...

-The Twins have released Ps Scott Elarton, Jason Lane and Hung-Yi Chen. There will be more, but those have happened in the last couple days.

-The RockCats will start Logan Darnell in their opener and have some combination of Andrew Albers, Pat Dean and BJ Hermsen in their rotation. Trevor May and Alex Meyer also appear headed to New Britain as well.

-The Red Wings will start PJ Walters in their opener and have a rotation of Kyle Gibson, Pedro Hernandez, Virgil Vasquez and Shairon Martis joining him.

-Joe Benson is expected to head to Rochester but is still having some issues with the hamate bone that he broke last year and may not be ready for the opener next Thursday.

-It's not minor-league news, but Joe Mauer is batting 2nd tonight against the Red Sox on FSN. And he's not playing 2B.

Mr. Brooks
03-28-2013, 03:59 PM

-The Twins have released Ps Scott Elarton, Jason Lane and Hung-Yi Chen. There will be more, but those have happened in the last couple days.

-The RockCats will start Logan Darnell in their opener and have some combination of Andrew Albers, Pat Dean and BJ Hermsen in their rotation. Trevor May and Alex Meyer also appear headed to New Britain as well.

-The Red Wings will start PJ Walters in their opener and have a rotation of Kyle Gibson, Pedro Hernandez, Virgil Vasquez and Shairon Martis joining him.

-Joe Benson is expected to head to Rochester but is still having some issues with the hamate bone that he broke last year and may not be ready for the opener next Thursday.

-It's not minor-league news, but Joe Mauer is batting 2nd tonight against the Red Sox on FSN. And he's not playing 2B.

Do you put any stock into Doogie's "sources"?
Doogie was on Mackey and Ruesse, and said that Benson is upset at how he's been handled, upset that he got passed up by Hicks, and is basically demanding a trade.
If true, I can't believe the nerve of this punk.

Halsey Hall
03-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Diamond got rocked today in a minor league game. I only watched 2 innings and he got no help from Sano. Sano touched the ball 5 times and recorded one out with the help of Vargas at first tagging the runner. No runs given up in the 1st for Diamond, but 4 in the 2nd and only 1 out recorded when they called the inning and switched sides. And with runners on the corners, yet.

Jeremy Nygaard
03-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Yeah. I'd believe it. I didn't hear that particular interview, though I did see two different people cite Benson's injury. I have also heard other instances where he was ticked off and made threats/demands.

Thrylos
03-28-2013, 05:08 PM

About time. Both of those guys were awful in Spring Training. Unwatchably awful. I just wish the Twins quit taking chances on 36-37 year olds and promote kids. Even kids who maxed at Fort Myers last season will be better than these 2.

Thrylos
03-28-2013, 05:11 PM
Do you put any stock into Doogie's "sources"?
Doogie was on Mackey and Ruesse, and said that Benson is upset at how he's been handled, upset that he got passed up by Hicks, and is basically demanding a trade.
If true, I can't believe the nerve of this punk.

Mandelaro over at Rochester pretty much confirmed.
As far as the bolded part, he would not be the first Twins' minor league player who had major issues in the way his injuries and rehab was handled. There have been at least 3 vocal cases and many more non-vocal the last few years; add to that the way major leaguers with injuries have been handled, and there is way way too much smoke for not to be a fire...

Mr. Brooks
03-28-2013, 05:17 PM
Yeah, I guess I hadn't thought of it that way.
You are correct, the Twins medical staff is certainly not known for its top notch diagnosis and treatment.

Twinsoholic
03-28-2013, 08:22 PM
If Benson is upset that Hicks has passed by him, Benson needs to look at the numbers. Benson also needs to be mature enough to realize that so many players make the opening day roster who are not on the active 25 man roster as the season unfolds. If Benson has been mishandled by the medical staff, that is one thing, but he also needs to get to Rochester and play once his hand/wrist is ready. Just play the game, get better, be ready should an opening at Minnesota come his way.

Benson may have a world of talent and potential when healthy, but have his minor league numbers when healthy been above average and sustained? I don't think so. He had one really good season, but last year he was awful thanks in large part to the hamate break. It often takes good while before a player gets healthy from that injury and surgery.

lightfoot789
03-28-2013, 11:54 PM
Saw my first and only minor league games today with my kids. Headed east for holidays. I wanted to see 2012 ETown players again.

Heard and / or Saw:
*Heard Buxton played well in MLB start yesterday and he looked so fast stretching out triple today.
*Heard pitching has been outstanding and should be great at A and high A this season.
*Goodrum is said to look very good at shortstop this spring - played alot of High A earlier.
*Heard Polanco was playing SS alot and Pimentel 2B. Pimentel looked good today on defense.
*Adam Walker is said to be having a strong spring training. Something like 2 Hrs / 2 Triples / 5-6 Doubles. Making much better contact. Looked fast tagging from 1st to 2nd today.
*DJ Hicks continued where he left off in ETown with a Hr down rightfield line today.
*Always thought Arias was a key part to helping pitchers look good. Still good defensively.
*Was looking for Kepler as well but came away disappointed.
*Hoping Romy Jimenez stays healthy and plays like he did last year. Sleeper!
Cedar Rapids is getting a great group of kids this season. They have a visible bond.

stringer bell
03-29-2013, 08:34 AM
I am a Joe Benson fan, but if he is griping that he was sent down, he needs to grow up. He hasn't outhit or outfielded anybody that made the roster and he needs to show that he can play at AAA before he gets another shot with the Twins.

On the other hand, with losing comes greater scrutiny of organizational problems, and the Twins have been blamed properly for mishandling injured players and specific injuries. If Benson is still recovering from his injury, maybe he should be rehabbing rather than trying to win a spot on the roster.

Riverbrian
03-29-2013, 08:48 AM
On Joe Benson... People say things they shouldnt say and re-act to things incorrectly all the time. There is no reason to think that Baseball players are immune to this. I'm not too worried about it.

If Joe Benson did actually request a trade... OK... But the Twins would be wise to hold on to him until he produces decent numbers in Rochester before trying to accomodate the request. Any trade at this point would be selling at the low.

mike wants wins
03-29-2013, 09:04 AM
On Joe Benson... People say things they shouldnt say and re-act to things incorrectly all the time. There is no reason to think that Baseball players are immune to this. I'm not too worried about it.

If Joe Benson did actually request a trade... OK... But the Twins would be wise to hold on to him until he produces decent numbers in Rochester before trying to accomodate the request. Any trade at this point would be selling at the low.

This.

70charger
03-29-2013, 12:02 PM
"Demand" a trade? Ha. Giancarlo Stanton can "demand" a trade. Joe Benson can whine like a bitch from the minor league bus.

Edit: while Anthony Slama sits behind him and nods approvingly.

bobby_baseball
03-29-2013, 12:29 PM
Saw my first and only minor league games today with my kids. Headed east for holidays. I wanted to see 2012 ETown players again.

Heard and / or Saw:
*Heard Buxton played well in MLB start yesterday and he looked so fast stretching out triple today.
*Heard pitching has been outstanding and should be great at A and high A this season.
*Goodrum is said to look very good at shortstop this spring - played alot of High A earlier.
*Heard Polanco was playing SS alot and Pimentel 2B. Pimentel looked good today on defense.
*Adam Walker is said to be having a strong spring training. Something like 2 Hrs / 2 Triples / 5-6 Doubles. Making much better contact. Looked fast tagging from 1st to 2nd today.
*DJ Hicks continued where he left off in ETown with a Hr down rightfield line today.
*Always thought Arias was a key part to helping pitchers look good. Still good defensively.
*Was looking for Kepler as well but came away disappointed.
*Hoping Romy Jimenez stays healthy and plays like he did last year. Sleeper!
Cedar Rapids is getting a great group of kids this season. They have a visible bond.

I'll add to this:

I heard Jose Berrios and Luke Bard will stay back in extended spring before being sent out to Cedar Rapids. Is there a chance they skip Iowa and jump to Fort Myers. It's most interesting because those are the two guys that have a chance to move quickly through the minors... I expect both of those guys to be pitching in New Brittan this year before things are said and done?

PseudoSABR
03-29-2013, 01:19 PM
I'd be really surprised if Berrios makes it to AA this year.

Jeremy Nygaard
03-29-2013, 02:18 PM
I'll add to this:

I heard Jose Berrios and Luke Bard will stay back in extended spring before being sent out to Cedar Rapids. Is there a chance they skip Iowa and jump to Fort Myers. It's most interesting because those are the two guys that have a chance to move quickly through the minors... I expect both of those guys to be pitching in New Brittan this year before things are said and done?

Berrios is still getting stretched out after not pitching much during the WBC. Mix that with the cold and it makes sense to give him more time in EST. Once he makes it to Cedar Rapids, I'd be very surprised if he went back to Fort Myers until instructs in the fall.

Bard is a little different, being that he's a college guy and older. It might make sense for him - who has been injured for the good part of a year - to skip Cedar Rapids and stay in Fort Myers where homebase is. On the other side of that coin, the Cedar Rapids facilities are much more advanced that Beloit's, so I wouldn't be shocked to see the Twins let guys recover/rehab a little more in Cedar Rapids.

diehardtwinsfan
03-30-2013, 08:19 AM
I doubt Berrios skips a level given his age. If he dominates in Cedar Rapids like he did in the rookie leagues, I could see him in Fort Meyers this summer. New Brittian though is highly unlikely. Personally, I'd be thrilled if he landed in A+ ball this summer.

diehardtwinsfan
03-30-2013, 08:26 AM

I think this sums it up well. Benson is an emotional guy, so something like this wouldn't surprise me, and I suspect once he cools off, if he's an honest guy he'll realize that Hicks outplayed him and playing every day as far more beneficial to his long term earning potential than staying on as a 4th OF.

That said, I'd be far more concerned with how he plays in Rochester. If this comes with him, that will destroy his career. He'll be up with the club no later than next year if he looks more like the 2011 version of Joe Benson than the 2012, but if he cannot get over a setback like this, I don't know how he's going to handle the majors when some pitcher makes him look silly.

It seems like this happens in the Twins organization quite a bit. I haven't really payed attention to other orgs, but I wonder if the Twins have an issue with setting expectations. With a guy like Benson, I'd have made it clear to him that while he has a chance to compete for the position, he's very likely going to end up in Rochester even if he does well. That's not a slight, just a simple statement given that Willingham isn't going anywhere, and neither was Parmalee.

bobby_baseball
04-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Berrios is still getting stretched out after not pitching much during the WBC. Mix that with the cold and it makes sense to give him more time in EST. Once he makes it to Cedar Rapids, I'd be very surprised if he went back to Fort Myers until instructs in the fall.

Bard is a little different, being that he's a college guy and older. It might make sense for him - who has been injured for the good part of a year - to skip Cedar Rapids and stay in Fort Myers where homebase is. On the other side of that coin, the Cedar Rapids facilities are much more advanced that Beloit's, so I wouldn't be shocked to see the Twins let guys recover/rehab a little more in Cedar Rapids.

Any word on JT Chargois - is he hurt or do they want to see if he can stretch out as a starter too?

Jeremy Nygaard
04-10-2013, 02:37 PM
I hadn't heard about trying him as a starter. He had some arm issues at the end of last season and appeared on the team's spring training DL list. Not sure exactly what is going on, to be honest. I'll see what I can find out.

Halsey Hall
04-10-2013, 04:37 PM
He's listed on the Extended Roster.

Today Austin Malinowski started the game against the Orioles. He had control issues, but k'd the first two batters looking. Then he walked the next two, gave up a single for a run,and got the last guy to fly out. Second inning he also went deep in the count but recorded two more k's. He was then relieved by Andre Martinez. Malinowski is from Lino Lakes, MN.

Max Kepler has had a setback and is at least 2 weeks from playing. He still can't swing.

Seth Stohs
04-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the report Halsey... I get a lot of questions about Kepler.

Jeremy Nygaard
04-21-2013, 06:26 AM
RockCats activate P BJ Hermsen
RockCats release P Marty Popham

Jeremy Nygaard
04-23-2013, 07:12 AM
Nate Hanson's wife, Liza, tweeted last night that Nate was heading to Rochester. This morning the Red Wings announced that Mark Sobolewski was being transferred to New Britain. Congrats to Nate!

Jeremy Nygaard
04-24-2013, 05:34 AM
Drew Leachman is heading south, from Cedar Rapids to Fort Myers.

Jeremy Nygaard
04-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Dakota Watts was activated (Ft. Myers).

Anthony Slama (back strain) was placed on the D.L. and Bobby Lanigan was promoted from New Britain to take his spot in the bullpen.

The organizational rosters will continue to remain fluid as many teams have roster spots available.

Seth Stohs
04-25-2013, 12:59 PM
Matt Tomshaw activated from the Cedar Rapids DL.

Jeremy Nygaard
04-26-2013, 07:58 AM
Miracle baseball: Levi Michael activated. Michael Gonzales and Lance Ray put on disabled list.

Jeremy Nygaard
04-27-2013, 06:15 AM
Seth is reporting that Josh "Hammercurve" Burris will be joining the Kernels.

He'll take Chis Mazza's spot, who was sent to EST.

Kernels roster still at 24.

Chance
04-27-2013, 07:33 AM
Could this thread name be updated to minor league transaction or something similar. It's a great thread so far! Thanks for posting all the moves being made.

greengoblinrulz
04-28-2013, 01:02 AM
Miracle baseball: Levi Michael activated. Michael Gonzales and Lance Ray put on disabled list. Does anyone know what the injuries were??

Jeremy Nygaard
04-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Seth is reporting that Josh "Hammercurve" Burris will be joining the Kernels.

He'll take Chis Mazza's spot, who was sent to EST.

Kernels roster still at 24.

Apparently on the way to the airport, Mazza hurt his arm, so he's now on the 7-day DL. (The first part is completely sarcastic, bad information evidently.)

Jeremy Nygaard
04-28-2013, 02:18 PM
Does anyone know what the injuries were??

Gonzales left the game on the 23rd after injuring his hand/wrist during a 2nd-inning at-bat. (Ironically, wasn't "hit by pitch".) After it happened, someone with the Miracle tweeted that it looked like he'd miss some time.

Lance Ray played the entire game on the 23rd and hasn't played since. I've heard it was a back injury, but don't know about a timetable for his return.

greengoblinrulz
05-01-2013, 12:35 PM
LHRP Raphael Perez was activated by ROC & Bobby Lanigan was sent back to AA

Jeremy Nygaard
05-01-2013, 03:43 PM
LHRP Rafael Perez was activated by ROC & Bobby Lanigan was sent back to AA

You beat me to it. Interesting that Perez was activated. All indications are that he's a ways away yet. Fastball is only in the mid-80s.

Seth Stohs
05-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Somewhat surprised that he wouldn't start out with a rehab in Ft. Myers. But it's not like he was throwing real hard before either. My assumption is that this was part of his agreement to remain in the organization.

cmathewson
05-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Somewhat surprised that he wouldn't start out with a rehab in Ft. Myers. But it's not like he was throwing real hard before either. My assumption is that this was part of his agreement to remain in the organization.

Right. Let's see how he does against AAA competition. If he succeeds and we still don't have room for him on the ML roster, he can opt out and some other team can give him a shot.

Jeremy Nygaard
05-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Our friend, AJ Pettersen, just tweeted he is heading to Portland, Maine to join the RockCats... he may be posting about it later.

Congrats AJ!!

Jeremy Nygaard
05-03-2013, 09:53 PM
This tips the RockCats over the roster limit, but it appears that James Beresford left the game with an injury tonight, so it would make sense that Pettersen is headed to New Britain to replace him.

SD Buhr
05-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Any further specific word on Beresford's injury?

Jeremy Nygaard
05-03-2013, 10:23 PM
No, he was on first, advanced to second... and was replaced. So either injury... or MLB promotion...? I'm thinking injury.

SD Buhr
05-03-2013, 10:44 PM
Well, let's be honest... neither Dozier nor Florimon have exactly set the world on fire. I wouldn't have expected moves to get made this soon, but I certainly could see Nate Hanson get a call up that results in Beresford moving to Rochester. Petterson moving up behind him to NB and, conceivably, Polanco getting the jump up to Ft. Myers.

clutterheart
05-04-2013, 01:25 AM
Too bad they didn't put Rosario on the plane instead of Peterson. Nothing against AJ but it would be fun to see them push Rosario

Jeremy Nygaard
05-04-2013, 06:59 AM
Adam Bryant to join the Miracle.

Thrylos
05-04-2013, 07:48 AM
Well, let's be honest... neither Dozier nor Florimon have exactly set the world on fire. I wouldn't have expected moves to get made this soon, but I certainly could see Nate Hanson get a call up that results in Beresford moving to Rochester. Petterson moving up behind him to NB and, conceivably, Polanco getting the jump up to Ft. Myers.

Dozier is doing much better and Florimon is better with the glove (and was better with the stick in the minors) than Hanson. Plus Hanson is a third baseman and would have to compete with Plouffe (and there is not comparison) Also of all the aforementioned, only Plouffe is older than Hanson (and that by six months.) He is a 26 year old with 4-5 games only at AAA and career MiLB OBP at .320. He does not deserve a call up. I'd rather see the Twins call up Sano, if they need a third baseman than Hanson...

Nice guy and local and might get it together some time, but he still has not earned a call up.

Halsey Hall
05-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Good for AJ, he's earned it. He brings alot of energy to the ballpark.

SD Buhr
05-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Beresford on the New Britain DL

Jeremy Nygaard
05-04-2013, 09:30 PM
In a move that will generate far more excitement than it is worth...

Samuel Deduno will be activated tomorrow and start for Rochester.

(I will drive the hype machine.)

Jeremy Nygaard
05-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Some Miracle moves: C Kyle Knudson to DL (Achilles). Up from EST: C BK Santy and OF John Murphy.

IdahoPilgrim
05-04-2013, 09:57 PM
Good for Murphy. I met the family that had unofficially "adopted" him while he was in Fort Myers last summer. Glad to see him move to a full-season level.

Jeremy Nygaard
05-05-2013, 07:00 AM
To make room for Deduno, the Red Wings/Twins released OF Brandon Boggs.

Seth Stohs
05-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Ft. Myers: Kyle Knudson to the DL. C/1B Bryan Santy and OF Jon Murphy to the Miracle.
Cedar Rapids: Tyler Jones to the DL. RHP Alex Muren to the Kernels.

SD Buhr
05-07-2013, 04:39 PM
The Twins/Kernels have announced C Jairo Rodriguez has been "transferred" to the Fort Myers Miracle. Interesting choice of words.

The move leaves the Kernels with a 23-man active roster.

Jeremy Nygaard
05-07-2013, 08:36 PM
The Twins/Kernels have announced C Jairo Rodriguez has been "transferred" to the Fort Myers Miracle. Interesting choice of words.

The move leaves the Kernels with a 23-man active roster.

The Miracle side of that move was sending B.K. Santy back across the street. Miracle roster at 25.

SD Buhr
05-07-2013, 10:00 PM
It does probably make some sense for the Kernels to cut back to two catchers. It seems like they've had to use Tyler Grimes as the DH with some regularity just to get him plate appearances. That's not ideal.

Seth Stohs
05-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Yeah, I think it's time to get Grimes more time behind the plate. They could use another hitter, or since they're sticking with the 6-man rotation, never have enough pitching.

rikker49
05-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Pitcher Munoz (FM) to the DL. Licon(IF) called up from EST. Also, OF Bigley (ROC) to the DL, Lehmann called up from NB

Jeremy Nygaard
05-13-2013, 10:33 AM
P Liam Hendriks to DL (elbow inflammation). OF Antoan Richardson to Rochester. 3B Deibinson Romero activated for RockCats.

C Michael Quesada will be joining the Kernels either today or tomorrow.

Seth Stohs
05-14-2013, 12:55 PM
Michael Quesada officially added to the Cedar Rapids roster today. They also receive LHP Josue Montanez and OF Jeremias Pineda (received last year from Red Sox for Danny Valencia). Romy Jimenez was sent down to EST.

jokin
05-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Michael Quesada officially added to the Cedar Rapids roster today. They also receive LHP Josue Montanez and OF Jeremias Pineda (received last year from Red Sox for Danny Valencia). Romy Jimenez was sent down to EST.

Are you surprised about Pineda not going through E-Town, first, Seth? Any implications for CF and Buxton?

Jeremy Nygaard
05-17-2013, 06:16 PM
Rafael Perez has been released.

Re: Pineda - He was old in the GCL and expected to compete for a spot in CR.

jokin
05-17-2013, 06:42 PM

Wow. Closing the book on another dumpster dive. And he was actually considered potential starting material by the Twins braintrust when they signed him???

greengoblinrulz
05-17-2013, 07:14 PM

Must not have been much in the tank as he pitched 4gms 4IP 2h 1er 3bb 2k.....not too terrible
Could it have been only a roster reason as I believe he was technically rehabbing in AAA

greengoblinrulz
05-17-2013, 08:26 PM
Matt Hauser off DL/sent to Ft Myers (to rehab?) & had 2 perfect innings tonight

Seth Stohs
05-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Wow. Closing the book on another dumpster dive. And he was actually considered potential starting material by the Twins braintrust when they signed him???

It was a minor league signing. No harm at all. And no, the Twins never really considered him a starting option... that all came from Perez's side. The Twins just kept saying they see what he was able to do when he was healthy.

Thrylos
05-17-2013, 09:01 PM
It was a minor league signing. No harm at all. And no, the Twins never really considered him a starting option... that all came from Perez's side. The Twins just kept saying they see what he was able to do when he was healthy.

Nope. Anthony said that Perez will compete for a rotation spot after he signed... Here (https://twitter.com/RhettBollinger/status/302105725516271616)

greengoblinrulz
05-17-2013, 09:17 PM
Nope. Anthony said that Perez will compete for a rotation spot after he signed... Here (https://twitter.com/RhettBollinger/status/302105725516271616)
touche

New Brit also activated James Beresford tonight

IdahoPilgrim
05-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Perez was a "jello against the wall" signing. And taking a flyer on someone with a minor league contract and allowing to compete for a starting spot is a lot different than signing someone with the expectation they will be a staple of the rotation. Perez was always in category 1, not category 2.

greengoblinrulz
05-17-2013, 09:42 PM
Wonder if Perez had the stipulation about bein on the MLB team by June 1 & MN knew there was no shot at that & just cut bait.
Dick Bremer talked about Perez heavily in spring training & when he was activated, that it made ya think he had some inside info on how MN thought about Perez, but apparantly not.

clutterheart
05-17-2013, 10:56 PM

Come on. Whats is he going to say?

I highly doubt the He was in the Twin's plans. He was a classic no risk high reward type of guy.

Seth Stohs
05-18-2013, 01:25 AM
Yeah, they tell Perez's camp that they'll let him try to start, and let the media know that they've said that. They may even let him work in an attempt to start, but there was no way he was ever an option as a starter. It'd be like Rich Harden being a starter again.

Jeremy Nygaard
05-18-2013, 09:15 AM
Early morning transactions:

The Red Wings, following the release of Perez, have released another lefty, Mike O'Connor.

They've promoted LHP Aaron Thompson from New Britain.

That's a lot of left-handed reliever shuffling. Could there be more?

Thrylos
05-18-2013, 02:11 PM
The New Britain roster is at 24. Beresford was re-instated from the DL I think that the next lefty to go will be Blake Martin and that will open the door for someone like Corey Williams to move up. This is about the time the internal movement starts happening and you really need changes in Rochester to trigger it. If I were Virgil Vasquez, Ray Olmedo, Jeff Clement or Doug Bernier, I would not be buying a house in Rochester. But pitching is pretty loaded there at this point...

jokin
05-18-2013, 02:34 PM
The New Britain roster is at 24. Beresford was re-instated from the DL I think that the next lefty to go will be Blake Martin and that will open the door for someone like Corey Williams to move up. This is about the time the internal movement starts happening and you really need changes in Rochester to trigger it. If I were Virgil Vasquez, Ray Olmedo, Jeff Clement or Doug Bernier, I would not be buying a house in Rochester. But pitching is pretty loaded there at this point...

....And that's just the Disabled List....(ba-dum-dum). There's not much on Rochester worth considering as future long-term Twins options. The Red Wings have the 3rd worst ERA in the IL (4.81), 2nd worst WHIP (1.54) and 1st Worst in OBA and H/9.

Besides Gibson, is there any pitching option at Rochester that screams "long-term solution" for the Twins?

greengoblinrulz
05-18-2013, 02:41 PM
For New Brit, that spot may be saved for Matt Hauser who pitched in FTM Fri.

Thrylos
05-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Besides Gibson, is there any pitching option at Rochester that screams "long-term solution" for the Twins?

Albers, Hendriks (he is the youngest guy on that roster) Thielbar and DeVries; even Deduno. If the Twins can make players out of Burton and Fien, and a closer out of Perkins (rewind 3-4 years ago), there is still hope for someone in his 20s with decent staff and decent control. Perkins 3 years ago was not considered a "long term solution". Wrong spot. Things change.

So I would not really give up on anyone with some decent track record...

Thrylos
05-18-2013, 03:43 PM
For New Brit, that spot may be saved for Matt Hauser who pitched in FTM Fri.

No spot left. Those are 24-men rosters, unless things changed with the CBA

Seth Stohs
05-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Cole De Vries has been reinstated from the DL and optioned to Rochester.

IdahoPilgrim
05-18-2013, 04:05 PM
No spot left. Those are 24-men rosters, unless things changed with the CBA

All the full-season leagues are 25-man rosters now. Doublechecked my MiLB handbook, just to make sure.

Short-season A is 30-man, with 25 dressing for each game.
Rookie leagues are 35-man, with 30 dressing for each game.

Jeremy Nygaard
05-18-2013, 04:07 PM
According to what appears to be his agents (http://www.truegravitybaseball.ca/2013/05/18/jordan-parraz-agrees-to-terms-with-minnesota-twins-affiliate/), The Twins have added OF Jordan Parraz to New Britain's roster. Parraz was the Royals #19 prospect heading into the 2010 season, spent the year on an optional assignment and then was claimed a couple times off of waivers after the 2010 season. He stayed in the Yankees organization in 2011 before signing with the Braves on a minor-league deal in 2012. He was recently released by the Braves. He's got a significant amount of AAA experience (325 games, over 1100 at-bats), but appears headed to AA. Parraz has spent most of his time in right field.

While it appears that Mastroianni will miss a significant part of the season and Clete Thomas being injured, this seems to be a depth move that was made because of the trickle-down effect on injuries the organization has felt.

Jeremy Nygaard
05-18-2013, 04:12 PM
Yes, all full-season rosters are 25. Rookie-level roster rules are much different.

I think readers of this thread would appreciate if this thread was kept to actual moves and we kept speculative moves on one of the other threads out there.

jokin
05-18-2013, 04:14 PM
Albers, Hendriks (he is the youngest guy on that roster) Thielbar and DeVries; even Deduno. If the Twins can make players out of Burton and Fien, and a closer out of Perkins (rewind 3-4 years ago), there is still hope for someone in his 20s with decent staff and decent control. Perkins 3 years ago was not considered a "long term solution". Wrong spot. Things change.

So I would not really give up on anyone with some decent track record...

If these guys are long-term solutions, that would be me screaming, not their pitching pedigrees. At least Perkins had legitimate stuff who evolved from SP to RP. Burton and Fien were legitimate major league pitchers, in search of an opportunity to re-find their groove.

Thielbar has taken a most unlikely and unorthodox route to reach his current status, I hope he gets a chance, but frankly, his chances for MLB success are somewhere between a wish and a prayer. I like DeVries as a Pitching Everyman, but he was basically contemplating retirement just a year-and-half ago- for good reason. Hendriks is still in search of an out pitch, something he either is physically or mentally unable to develop, and now he has compounded his dilemma with an injury. Deduno is the Twins FO very own Flying Dutchman, a guy that you root will eventually get it all together and find a permanent port of call on the major league club, but has been unable to be merely more than a "ghostly" resemblance of a major league starting pitcher. Albers is the consummate soft-throwing, SSS Twins flavor of the day- another CanAm, ex-TJ surgery, refugee, a college pitcher who blew his arm out and is learning to pitch and survive in the minors with a FB in the 80s.

I'd like to be optimistic, but I still don't see any long-term solutions in this group.

Seth Stohs
05-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Jordan Parraz was signed by the Twins and will be playing in New Britain. He He's spent the past four seasons playing in AAA. Was hitting like .141 in a small sample this year, but 6 of his 11 hits were extra bases (4 homers). He was a former 3rd round pick, showed a ton of power 25-31 homers most years.

Jeremy Nygaard
05-22-2013, 01:31 PM
OF Chris Pettit has joined New Britain. To make room for him, the Twins released Jason Christian.

Obviously, Colabello was promoted to take Plouffe's place (on concussion 7-day DL).

THe R&P page will be edited later tonight to reflect these moves (and possibly more yet to come).

jokin
05-23-2013, 01:56 AM
Delbinson Romero swaps places with Nate Hanson- going to Rochester, Ray Olmedo isn't looking over his shoulder anymore for Delbinson, he's there. Romero must have been playing a lot of ball back in the DR waiting for the via situation to be resolved, he has hit the ground running.

rikker49
05-26-2013, 12:41 PM
With Baxendale and Tomshaw moving up...who is moving down or to the DL??????

greengoblinrulz
05-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Jordan Parraz was signed by the Twins and will be playing in New Britain. He He's spent the past four seasons playing in AAA. Was hitting like .141 in a small sample this year, but 6 of his 11 hits were extra bases (4 homers). He was a former 3rd round pick, showed a ton of power 25-31 homers most years.
This is a misprint, correct?? Parraz has never hit more than 14 in a season & only 2 yrs w/over 10 & 70 in minor league career

Seth Stohs
05-26-2013, 02:06 PM
This is a misprint, correct?? Parraz has never hit more than 14 in a season & only 2 yrs w/over 10 & 70 in minor league career

Yes, those should have been doubles.

Jeremy Nygaard
05-27-2013, 02:35 PM
Baxendale moved up to NB. Tomshaw moved up to FM. O'Rourke activated in FM. Hein Robb joining CR.

Doubting Rochester makes a move since Herrmann will go back down when Plouffe is ready.

Thrylos
05-27-2013, 06:02 PM
Dan Rohlfing to Rochester from New Britain tonight

rikker49
05-27-2013, 10:57 PM
26 Players at FM. Are they moving Koch or Knudson up to NB??

Jeremy Nygaard
05-27-2013, 11:13 PM
26 Players at FM. Are they moving Koch or Knudson up to NB??

I'd expect there to be some move at some point.

Jeremy Nygaard
05-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Cole Johnson and Kyle Knudson from high-A to AA.

Bruce Pugh to AA DL with strained groin.

InfraRen
05-28-2013, 06:37 PM
Just saw this:

Andrew Walter ‏@MNfanfromafar (https://twitter.com/MNfanfromafar)1m (https://twitter.com/MNfanfromafar/status/339525154856124417)
Hearing reports that #Rockcats (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Rockcats&src=hash) starter B.J. Hermsen has been moved to the bullpen, likely to accommodate newly-arrived D.J. Baxendale

Game163
05-29-2013, 10:07 AM
Congratulations to Kyle Knudson, local and all around great guy, was doing very well in Ft. Myers, hopefully he can continue in New Britain

rikker49
05-29-2013, 04:06 PM
Plouffe off the DL, Colabello back to AAA

greengoblinrulz
05-30-2013, 02:04 PM
Michael Tonkin switches spots w/ Dan Turpen.....glad we got so much for Slowey also

Seth Stohs
05-30-2013, 02:12 PM
Plouffe off the DL, Colabello back to AAA

And most likely, the reverse of this today.

Seth Stohs
05-31-2013, 11:08 AM
Jeremy tweeted this morning that Matt Hauser is heading up to New Britain with Jose Gonzalez heading back down to Ft. Myers.

Also, he tweeted that the Twins have released Bryan Augenstein (was on the Red Wings DL).

chopper0080
05-31-2013, 11:22 AM
Free Danny Ortiz to AAA. Just saying.

greengoblinrulz
05-31-2013, 01:25 PM
Jeremy tweeted this morning that Matt Hauser is heading up to New Britain with Jose Gonzalez heading back down to Ft. Myers.

Also, he tweeted that the Twins have released Bryan Augenstein (was on the Red Wings DL).Would that be a player request (player can pitch/not injured anymote but no room on roster OR player retiring) or would/can a team release a player on the injured list against his will (would they have to pay him??)
Curious how some of the player transacations in minors are different than majors

Jeremy Nygaard
05-31-2013, 02:25 PM
Would that be a player request (player can pitch/not injured anymote but no room on roster OR player retiring) or would/can a team release a player on the injured list against his will (would they have to pay him??)
Curious how some of the player transacations in minors are different than majors

Just a theory, but I'm guessing he probably had a 6/1 opt-out and since it's clear he wouldn't be in the majors, they reached a mutual agreement to part ways. I doubt the Twins had to pay any sort of injury settlement.

nicksaviking
06-03-2013, 11:47 AM
The Twins website already has the Robertson/Thomas 40-man updated (which is very quick for the very slow Twins site). I also noticed that Blake Martin is listed on Rochester's roster now, has this move been confirmed? Obviously with Robertson likely gone they'll need another lefty in the pen, but why would they call on him over Edgar Ibarra?

Mr. Ed
06-03-2013, 12:02 PM
The Twins website already has the Robertson/Thomas 40-man updated (which is very quick for the very slow Twins site). I also noticed that Blake Martin is listed on Rochester's roster now, has this move been confirmed? Obviously with Robertson likely gone they'll need another lefty in the pen, but why would they call on him over Edgar Ibarra?

Probably Martin over Ibarra due to experience. Martin has been in AA for a long time, this is Ibarra's first AA year.

The Twins site/40-man roster is not altered by the Twins. There is a single clearing house that handles all of that data for all MLB teams.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Blake Martin was added to Rochester's roster when Robertson was DFA'd. My opinion is that Martin has been hanging by a thread, so if Robertson cleared waivers, he (Martin) might just get released. He has added some value as a spot-starter, but I have a hard time seeing him make it through any series of organizational moves.

rikker49
06-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Which Lefty from FM will get called up?? Rodgers or O'Rourke maybe??

nicksaviking
06-03-2013, 02:35 PM
Probably Martin over Ibarra due to experience. Martin has been in AA for a long time, this is Ibarra's first AA year.

The Twins site/40-man roster is not altered by the Twins. There is a single clearing house that handles all of that data for all MLB teams.

Iberra was in New Britain last year too. Neither look to be any more than upper level filler but I can't think of why to promote the lesser of the two performers other than to reward him for having put more time in.

Blake Martin was added to Rochester's roster when Robertson was DFA'd. My opinion is that Martin has been hanging by a thread, so if Robertson cleared waivers, he (Martin) might just get released. He has added some value as a spot-starter, but I have a hard time seeing him make it through any series of organizational moves.

You make it sound like there is something undesirable about a career 5.6 BB/9 rate in the minor leagues.

Seth Stohs
06-04-2013, 08:06 PM
Learned tonight: Tomorrow, Manuel Soliman and Tyler Duffey will be heading to Ft. Myers, promoted to the Miracle.

lightfoot789
06-04-2013, 08:57 PM
Duffy has been the best pitcher on the Kernels staff hands down with Berrios a close second. Congrats to Duffy. If he doesn't make it as a starter (which he has a chance) - he will surely be a solid reliever. Congrats to Soliman. He has pitched well lately as well.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Tom Stuifbergen heading from FM to New Britain.

clutterheart
06-04-2013, 09:47 PM
Tom Stuifbergen heading from FM to New Britain.

Stuifbergen keeps getting chances but he can't capitalize on them.
This is probably his last shot

SD Buhr
06-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Christian Powell joining CR Wednesday from EST. A second player, perhaps a recent minor league FA signing, should join as well.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-04-2013, 10:43 PM
Christian Powell joining CR Wednesday from EST. A second player, perhaps a recent minor league FA signing, should join as well.

Perhaps a relative of Milwaukee's mascot...

SD Buhr
06-04-2013, 11:03 PM
That's a very strong likelihood, Jeremy.

Seth Stohs
06-04-2013, 11:19 PM
Stuifbergen keeps getting chances but he can't capitalize on them.
This is probably his last shot

Getting chances? Please explain. What Chances has he been given? He's always put up good numbers in Ft. Myers. He got a game in Rochester in 2011 and did well. Just needs a spot.

Smcginnity
06-04-2013, 11:29 PM
Getting chances? Please explain. What Chances has he been given? He's always put up good numbers in Ft. Myers. He got a game in Rochester in 2011 and did well. Just needs a spot.

I thought that same thing...I was confused by the "chances" statement. I'm excited for him to move up. Seems like he will capitalize on it being that he was so good for Netherlands.

Shane Wahl
06-04-2013, 11:52 PM
Stuifbergen could be a sleeper to make the Twins rotation at the beginning of 2014. I am not kidding. There are plenty of pitchers who will not be on the 40-man by then (Walter, DeVries, Hernandez).

lightfoot789
06-05-2013, 12:12 AM
Perhaps a relative of Milwaukee's mascot...

Does that mean CR will have 3 guys from Milwaukee (Adam Brett Walker II & Tyler Jones & ____ Bernie _______) :)

SD Buhr
06-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Former Braves minor leaguer Caleb Brewer is indeed the 2nd pitcher, along with Powell, to be added to the Kernels roster to replace Duffey and Soliman. The Braves released Brewer off of their high-A roster in Lynchburg last week.

No official word yet as to whether Caleb is related to Bernie, Jeremy!

Seth Stohs
06-07-2013, 02:13 PM
2012 draft pick, Kaleb Merck (pitcher) is going to be joining the Cedar Rapids Kernels.

lightfoot789
06-07-2013, 02:29 PM
2012 draft pick, Kaleb Merck (pitcher) is going to be joining the Cedar Rapids Kernels.

What pitcher is leaving CR then? that would give them 14 pitchers? Someone going on DL or leaving?

SD Buhr
06-07-2013, 10:20 PM
David Hurlbut is going on the Kernels DL. Mauer said he's had some soreness in his armpit area for a few days and hasn't been able to throw without discomfort.

With the short starts they've been getting out of their starting pitchers lately, they can't afford to be left shorthanded in the bullpen.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-09-2013, 07:01 AM
Drew Butera: Activated by the Red Wings.

Colabello brought up for today's double-header.

jorgenswest
06-09-2013, 09:26 AM
Good news about Butera...

The next time the Twins move someone off the 40 (Mastroianni return?), Butera will be a candidate. Ryan implied that he was not eligible when they made decision about Benson due to his injury.

Kwak
06-09-2013, 01:40 PM
Good news about Butera...

The next time the Twins move someone off the 40 (Mastroianni return?), Butera will be a candidate. Ryan implied that he was not eligible when they made decision about Benson due to his injury.
Golly, we could have saved 200 or so posts on the "Benson Thread" if it were known that an injured man could not be removed fron the 40 man roster.

Halsey Hall
06-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Sano to AA.

30whales
06-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Eddie Rosario was also promoted to AA according to Rhett Bollinger.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-09-2013, 05:41 PM
Beresford up to AAA, per Morse.

greengoblinrulz
06-09-2013, 05:47 PM
assume Beresford is cause someone is coming up to MN w/Pressley goin on DL or will they wait till Plouffe's rehab is done.
ROC is at 25 before James so maybe a release??

Tibs
06-09-2013, 05:48 PM
Angel Morales was also promoted to AA

rikker49
06-09-2013, 09:29 PM
There are plenty of "roster fillers" to release

YourHouseIsMyHouse
06-09-2013, 10:00 PM
There are plenty of "roster fillers" to release

I'm thinking Mark Sobolewski and Chris Pettit are gone.

Seth Stohs
06-10-2013, 12:39 AM
I'm thinking Mark Sobolewski and Chris Pettit are gone.

That would be my guesses as well.

rikker49
06-10-2013, 08:45 AM
1B Bryan Haar to FM? Interesting choice.

Seth Stohs
06-12-2013, 12:13 AM
1B Bryan Haar to FM? Interesting choice.

Why? It's likely very short term, until Michael Gonzales comes back and/or Dalton Hicks is promoted. I have to assume that Vargas will move up as well soon.

Seth Stohs
06-12-2013, 12:14 AM
Learned from a couple of Twins sources today that the Twins have released three players from Extended Spring Training: Catchers Brian Compton and Kelly Cross, and RHP Travis Huber.

Shane Wahl
06-12-2013, 12:42 AM
Learned from a couple of Twins sources today that the Twins have released three players from Extended Spring Training: Catchers Brian Compton and Kelly Cross, and RHP Travis Huber.

No surprise there, given the draft.

rikker49
06-12-2013, 08:24 AM
Why not promote Hicks and send Haar to CR. Just a thought...

Shane Wahl
06-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Why not promote Hicks and send Haar to CR. Just a thought...

Half of that will happen soon. The second half is more like E-Town than Cedar Rapids.

SD Buhr
06-12-2013, 09:04 AM
Yeah I guess I've assumed Rory Rhodes would come to CR if/when Hicks is promoted.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-13-2013, 11:24 AM
The Twins have added RP Cody Eppley on a minor-league deal. Eppley will join the Red Wings. A side-armer, Eppley wasn't terrible in 59 appearances last year with the Yankees. In 2013, he's been both terrible for the Yankees and their AAA affiliate before being released. Eppley isn't a strikeout pitcher by any stretch of the imagination, but is an extreme groundball pitcher.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-13-2013, 03:12 PM
The campaign to #FreeAnthonySlama has finally come to fruition. The Twins have released him.

Roster and Payroll (http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=1272-Minnesota-Twins-Roster-Payroll-2013) page updated.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-14-2013, 11:18 AM
Dakota Watts activated and sent to New Britain.

Rockcats release Chris Pettit from "loan" and no longer have Mark Sobolewski.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-14-2013, 11:31 AM
Niko Goodrum will be activated before tomorrow's game. I would assume that signals the end of Joel Licon's time with the Kernels and he'll head to E-Town.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-16-2013, 10:15 PM
Looks like I was off... Goodrum activated and Candido Pimentel sent to Fort Myers. (I really didn't see that coming.)

All the minor league teams have full rosters of 25. Hendriks is expected to be activated soon. Buxton is expected to move up to FM after the MWL All-Star game Tuesday.

Roster and Payroll page (http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=1272-Minnesota-Twins-Roster-Payroll-2013) updated.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-17-2013, 04:03 PM
Hein Robb will be joining the E-town Twins. No word who will take his place in CR (or their rotation).

Jeremy Nygaard
06-17-2013, 11:13 PM
Max Kepler will join the Kernels. A curious move, as he's not able to throw (well) yet.

maxisagod
06-17-2013, 11:36 PM
Max Kepler will join the Kernels. A curious move, as he's not able to throw (well) yet.
Don't need to throw if you play 1st base.

rikker49
06-17-2013, 11:36 PM
Maybe just DH to start? Still, very exciting to get him off the DL. I think he might struggle early but I can't wait to see him continue his career. Now Roberts has to get off the DL.

KernelsGuy1
06-17-2013, 11:42 PM
Niko Goodrum will be activated before tomorrow's game. I would assume that signals the end of Joel Licon's time with the Kernels and he'll head to E-Town.

Jeremy, I have to hold you accountable for this. Have seen some of your tweets as well. Just got bad information or what?

clutterheart
06-18-2013, 12:41 AM
Jeremy, I have to hold you accountable for this. Have seen some of your tweets as well. Just got bad information or what?

What do you mean accountable?
Goodrum was activated - but Jeremy clearly said he was guessing on the corresponding move. Facts followed by declared speculation = accountability. Right?

Jeremy Nygaard
06-18-2013, 07:07 AM
Goodrum tweeted that he'd be back on Saturday. Apparently the Kernels were waiting for some clearance they (and Goodrum) expected to get... and they didn't receive it til Sunday.

So yep, bad info. The Licon bit was speculation... and to me, the move they made was surprising.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-18-2013, 07:09 AM

I agree, but if Buxton does move up, you'll need a fourth OF. (Not that they don't have guys that couldn't play in a pinch.)

SD Buhr
06-18-2013, 08:37 AM
I think there have to be more moves coming than simply a Robb for Kepler swap. They want to continue using a 6 man rotation to limit starters' innings while allowing them to be in the rotation all season. But only a couple starters have gone deep enough in to games consistently so it will be tough to cut down the size of the bullpen. If you have a full-time DH in Kepler AND carry 3 catchers, it limits ABs for those catchers (Grimes and Queesada have been doing most of the DHing and Grimes has hit about .300 since May 1). It also doesn't leave much room for other position players on the bench.

The Kernels have an off day already on Monday, but I think there will need to be additional roster moves within a couple of weeks if Kepler truly can't play in the field much, if at all.

Halsey Hall
06-18-2013, 08:53 AM

Something here just rings sour. The first time I saw Max with his arm iced, he said he'd be out a week, nothing to worry about. Then maybe 10 days later he tells me another week. And then the same a week or so later. That's been 3 months ago. He's really got to be frustrated. What's with the medical staff and just what was the injury in the first place. Certainly someone was way off base here.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-18-2013, 10:56 AM
As expected, Bryan Haar, who had been on the Fort Myers roster, boarded the bus to E-town.

Fort Myers roster is now ONE PLAYER short of their roster limit.

SD Buhr
06-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Fort Myers roster is now ONE PLAYER short of their roster limit.

Hmmm... I wonder who might fill that spot?

With word coming from FtM that Kepler was indeed playing CF in an EST game today, it would seem almost assured that we'll see Kepler arrive in Cedar Rapids as Byron Buxton heads south after tonight's MWL ASG.

That would mean Robb's roster spot in CR would remain open to be filled by another pitcher.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-18-2013, 02:42 PM
DJ Baxendale placed on New Britain's 7-day DL with right shoulder inflammation.

That may help explain why Soliman started for Ft. Myers last night, if one of those starters heads north, though I would think it would be easier to slide Hermsen back into the rotation.

Alex Meyer is expected back the beginning of July.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-18-2013, 02:45 PM
That would mean Robb's roster spot in CR would remain open to be filled by another pitcher.

Presumably there was a pitcher not on the E-town bus that we figured would be... and he'll take Robb's spot. Or they'll activate one of their four DL'd pitchers.

PseudoSABR
06-18-2013, 02:48 PM
Alex Meyer is expected back the beginning of July.That's a long lay-off. Are they just be precautionary or is the injury that significant?

cmathewson
06-18-2013, 03:22 PM

Yes you do. 3-6-3 DPs. Cuts from right field. I can think of a dozen plays where having at least a passable arm is necessary.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-18-2013, 03:26 PM
Yes you do. 3-6-3 DPs. Cuts from right field. I can think of a dozen plays where having at least a passable arm is necessary.

Non-issue now as Kepler is playing the outfield in Fort Myers.

That's a long lay-off. Are they just be precautionary or is the injury that significant?

Never expected it to be serious and said they're being extremely cautious.

Shane Wahl
06-18-2013, 03:55 PM
I'm much happier with them waiting until the short seasons are basically starting and there is reason to move people around then to risk any further setback.

nicksaviking
06-18-2013, 03:58 PM

Just have Berrios strike everyone out. Kepler can sit his butt on the warning track and build his arm strength back up by picking his nose.

nicksaviking
06-18-2013, 04:00 PM
Non-issue now as Kepler is playing the outfield in Fort Myers.

Never expected it to be serious and said they're being extremely cautious. [/COLOR]

Rumored title of Terry Ryan's autobiography.

KernelsGuy1
06-18-2013, 04:22 PM
Presumably there was a pitcher not on the E-town bus that we figured would be... and he'll take Robb's spot. Or they'll activate one of their four DL'd pitchers.

There are two pitchers on the DL (also the only two DL players) on the Kernels roster: Chris Mazza and David Hurlbut. Surely SD Buhr can confirm this. The official roster in the press box the other day also consisted of this information.

There are a couple of other names on the roster on kernels.com, but that one is incorrect. Those players have never played this season or have been Kernels.

KernelsGuy1
06-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Official release from the Cedar Rapids Ball Club also acknowledges the TWO players on the DL: Peoria scores five in ninth to stun Kernels | Cedar Rapids Kernels News (http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130616&content_id=50851698&fext=.jsp&vkey=recap&sid=t492)

Maybe Hurlbut will be activated. He's still been with the team since being placed on the DL. Mazza has been in EST.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-18-2013, 05:26 PM
I get the same release and I realize the two players in question (Tim Shibuya and Dallas Gallant) aren't listed on their "official" roster. But without having an "organizational disabled list" and since they are disabled, I have to find a spot for them on the Roster and Payroll page. I put them there because the last actual team they were affiliated with was the Snappers (which became the Kernels). The point still remains, Hurlbut, Mazza or any other disabled player at any level could be activated and take that roster spot. I'm not sure why we're splitting hairs over something so trivial.

maxisagod
06-18-2013, 05:40 PM
:) it was a half joke. It was a reference to Scott Hatteberg. But if the shoulder problems are Chronic and don't affect his swing his long term position may be 1st base. But we're not there yet. The injury healing itself right as EST ended says we're only getting part of the story with Mr. Kepler. I don't feel like speculating on what the story is, im just excited he finally playing A ball! As Jeremy says its Moot now that we know he played CF in EST.

rikker49
06-18-2013, 06:21 PM
Me too. Jeremy, you do a great job and it is truly appreciated. Thank you!!!

Jeremy Nygaard
06-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Dallas Gallant will be in E-town for a few weeks on a "rehab assignment" (source: Dallas Gallant). He's not officially listed on any teams roster, currently.

greengoblinrulz
06-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Liam Hendriks is bein activated for tonight game & will start.
Any guesses on what the corresponding transaction will be?? Release Blake Martin or Shairon Martis OR will they fake another injury (ala Danny Lehman)??

Jeremy Nygaard
06-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Liam Hendriks is bein activated for tonight game & will start.
Any guesses on what the corresponding transaction will be?? Release Blake Martin or Shairon Martis OR will they fake another injury (ala Danny Lehman)??

Virgil Vasquez was sent to New Britain, who needed a pitcher after Baxendale was DL'd.

In other news, the Elizabethton roster (http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=1272-Minnesota-Twins-Roster-Payroll-2013) is out.

A couple points of note:

Tim Shibuya, who was the Appy League pitcher of the year two years ago, is back on their roster. He hasn't pitched since the middle of the year last year in Beloit.

Dallas Gallant, who also pitched last year in Beloit, is on the roster, but it's listed as "rehab". Gallant has battled elbow issues for a while now.

Angel Mata has been released from the organization. Unconfirmed, but the belief is that it was off-the-field related.

Rory Rhodes is back after spending a lot of last year in Beloit.

Javier Pimentel is the youngest position player on the roster (recently turned 19). He was one of the biggest bonuses of 2010 and will likely play a lot at 3B.

Dereck Rodriguez will be making his Appy League debut.

Josh Burris and Hein Robb, who have both made appearances for the Kernels, are in E-town.

Six recent draftees are on the pitching staff, including C.K. Irby, who is listed on the 7-day DL.

The staff also includes four 19-year-olds: Andre Martinez, Felix Jorge, Randy Rosario and Yorman Landa.

E-town's Appy League title defense begins tonight.

Seth Stohs
06-20-2013, 11:23 AM
I can confirm that Angel Mata has been released...

Rhodes was only in Beloit for about 1 month last year and spent the Appy League season with the E-Twins.

KernelsGuy1
06-20-2013, 03:45 PM
Max Kepler has officially been added to the Kernels roster. Interesting considering no outfielders have been consequently promoted (I still think J.D. Williams gets the call to Ft. Meyers before Buxton, by the way).

Also, Josue Montanez has been added to the Kernels starting rotation.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-20-2013, 04:15 PM

Rhodes was only in Beloit for about 1 month last year and spent the Appy League season with the E-Twins.

It seemed like longer than a month...

Seth Stohs
06-20-2013, 04:53 PM
Trent Higginbotham and Jose Ramirez have been released.

SD Buhr
06-20-2013, 06:10 PM

Is there some rule that gives Aussies the ability to spend 9 years in Rookie League ball or something?

Jeremy Nygaard
06-24-2013, 10:19 AM
Obviously we know about Buxton and Gibson being promoted.

Today we learned Logan Darnell is going from NB to Rochester to replace Gibson.

Esmerling Vasquez has been released.

Likely more moves to come...

Seth Stohs
06-24-2013, 10:30 AM
Matt Summers to New Britain too.

mike wants wins
06-24-2013, 10:31 AM
What happened to Baxendale?

jokin
06-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Obviously we know about Buxton and Gibson being promoted.

Esmerling Vasquez has been released.

Likely more moves to come...

About time.

drjim
06-24-2013, 10:45 AM
What happened to Baxendale?

Shoulder. Doesn't seem too serious.

nicksaviking
06-24-2013, 10:51 AM
It seems like Reynaldo Rodriguez and Curt Smith are currently blocking Kenny Vargas and subsequently Dalton Hicks from promotions. Rodriguez is hitting well recently but both these guys are journeymen minor leaguers, it seems at the very least Smith is exendable.

nicksaviking
06-24-2013, 10:54 AM

Trevor May now at the front of the line for a Rochester promotion?

TRex
06-24-2013, 03:03 PM
Bruce Pugh and Madison Bohr each have 2 appearances in the 3 games the GCL Twins have played, any thoughts on when/where they will be promoted?

Shane Wahl
06-24-2013, 03:06 PM
It seems like Reynaldo Rodriguez and Curt Smith are currently blocking Kenny Vargas and subsequently Dalton Hicks from promotions. Rodriguez is hitting well recently but both these guys are journeymen minor leaguers, it seems at the very least Smith is exendable.

I agree. I think it is only a matter of time. Hopefully the E-Town guys can hit well so that CR doesn't end up depleted.

Shane Wahl
06-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Bruce Pugh and Madison Bohr each have 2 appearances in the 3 games the GCL Twins have played, any thoughts on when/where they will be promoted?

NB and FM, respectively, I would think.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-24-2013, 03:28 PM

The belief is that the Twins want to see how Vargas does in a lineup without Sano (so far, so good). At some point, he'll go up with Hicks behind him and Rhodes behind Hicks. With Rodriguez playing so well as of late and Smith offering OF versatility, it could be a while before we see those things happen.

Trevor May now at the front of the line for a Rochester promotion?

Talent-wise, probably. If the Red Wings have a need, though, I would guess that Vasquez is the next in line. Right now the Wings have six starters and Blackburn working his way back. It wouldn't surprise me if Trevor May spends the rest of the season in AA.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-24-2013, 03:31 PM

NB and FM, respectively, I would think.

I would agree with that. Boer should stay in the bullpen long-term. Also, Kyle Davies had an extended outing in EST this morning. He could end up working his way back up the ladder. (He's gotten up to the "Fort Myers" rung.)

nicksaviking
06-24-2013, 04:03 PM
Talent-wise, probably. If the Red Wings have a need, though, I would guess that Vasquez is the next in line. Right now the Wings have six starters and Blackburn working his way back. It wouldn't surprise me if Trevor May spends the rest of the season in AA.

My mistake, I thought Vasquez was released, not demoted.

Tell me more about this Blackburn character, he sounds intreguing and I must know more.

IdahoPilgrim
06-24-2013, 04:11 PM
My mistake, I thought Vasquez was released, not demoted.

Tell me more about this Blackburn character, he sounds intreguing and I must know more.

He means Virgil Vasquez. Esmerling Vasquez was released.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-24-2013, 04:58 PM
He means Virgil Vasquez. Esmerling Vasquez was released.

Sorry, yeah... gotta keep my Vasquezes in order.

cmathewson
06-24-2013, 05:13 PM
I would agree with that. Boer should stay in the bullpen long-term. Also, Kyle Davies had an extended outing in EST this morning. He could end up working his way back up the ladder. (He's gotten up to the "Fort Myers" rung.)

Sigh: I only like minor league journeymen when you need them. Otherwise, they just gum up the works.

mnsports255
06-24-2013, 06:31 PM
Miguel Sano, as well as he's done at FTM, has been nonexistent, and dare I say it... Awful at the plate. I don't think it's anything to worry about though.He'll figure it out.

Riverbrian
06-24-2013, 07:08 PM
Miguel Sano, as well as he's done at FTM, has been nonexistent, and dare I say it... Awful at the plate. I don't think it's anything to worry about though.He'll figure it out.

I think this is an important part of his development and I'm glad he's going thru it.

If he has the hitting ability everyone says he does. He's gonna have to get used to being pitched around. This is a chance to develop discipline and if he's chasing at AA... The AA pitcher is gonna keep throwing away from him.

Of course... This is just a blind opinion because I haven't actually seen any of his AA at bats... I just know if I'm coaching... It's what I would instruct the pitcher to do.

SD Buhr
06-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Madison Boer has been activated from the DL and assigned to the Kernels roster.

KernelsGuy1
06-27-2013, 12:37 PM
Tim Atherton moving in to the Kernels starting rotation beginning Sunday.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-27-2013, 01:14 PM
Tim Atherton moving in to the Kernels starting rotation beginning Sunday.

...and the name that is absent from the six-man rotation is Hudson Boyd.

My uniformed guess would be this is being done in an effort to limit his innings. He threw only 58 last year and is already at 42.

SD Buhr
06-27-2013, 01:43 PM
...and the name that is absent from the six-man rotation is Hudson Boyd.

My uniformed guess would be this is being done in an effort to limit his innings. He threw only 58 last year and is already at 42.

Maybe. Might also be because he hasn't pitched very well. (6.75 ERA, 1.67 WHIP, .292 BAA, 45K/34BB). He's struggled to survive the 5th inning an awful lot. Maybe letting him work from the pen a bit will get him straightened out.

ashburyjohn
06-27-2013, 02:18 PM
He's struggled to survive the 5th inning an awful lot. Maybe letting him work from the pen a bit will get him straightened out.

Unless in very long-relief, how will bullpen work get him to be effective past 5 innings? :)

SD Buhr
06-27-2013, 11:07 PM
Unless in very long-relief, how will bullpen work get him to be effective past 5 innings? :)

Fair point. I'm just suggesting that maybe Gary Lucas can help him work on specific things in shorter outings. Then, maybe he can try the starting pitching thing again. On the other hand, it's possible he's simply going to be more effective out of the bullpen. He's got talent, I believe.

Twins Fan From Afar
06-28-2013, 04:34 PM
I can report that pitcher Bobby Lanigan has been released. Too bad -- he was a nice guy, had some good moments.

Chance
06-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Question. Do the twins consider Mark Prior? He was just released and had only pitch just over 9 innings. He did have 9 strikeouts and a 4.66 era. He has been on the shelf but he may be a guy worth looking at. He's still "somewhat" young and if he could regain some of what he was (Kazmir) he would be a fair 4-5 starter for our roster. Thoughts? (I haven't given it much of a thought myself so don't feel you are squashing my dreams if you burn this post)

IdahoPilgrim
06-28-2013, 05:26 PM
I can report that pitcher Bobby Lanigan has been released. Too bad -- he was a nice guy, had some good moments.

Do we know a reason? Are they making room for somebody coming back from injury? Or being promoted?

Twins Fan From Afar
06-28-2013, 06:00 PM
Do we know a reason? Are they making room for somebody coming back from injury? Or being promoted?

Bruce Pugh was activated from the DL.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-30-2013, 10:09 AM
RP AJ Achter has been moved up to Rochester. C/OF Dan Rohlfing down to New Britain.

Jeremy Nygaard
07-01-2013, 12:57 PM
OF Jonathan Murphy heads from Fort Myers to Cedar Rapids, where he will take the roster spot of OF Jeremias Pineda, who was DL'd with a hamstring strain.

This leaves the Fort Myers roster one short, no word on a corresponding move.

It makes sense for Murphy to head to Cedar Rapids where at-bats might be easier to come by. The promotion of Buxton and the return of Lance Ray was going to make it tougher for Murphy to get into the batters box.

nicksaviking
07-01-2013, 01:13 PM
RP AJ Achter has been moved up to Rochester. C/OF Dan Rohlfing down to New Britain.

Good news. His walk numbers are higher than you'd like but last year they were fantastic so you have to think the ability is still there. A 46th round pick getting to AAA is pretty impressive

nicksaviking
07-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Question. Do the twins consider Mark Prior? He was just released and had only pitch just over 9 innings. He did have 9 strikeouts and a 4.66 era. He has been on the shelf but he may be a guy worth looking at. He's still "somewhat" young and if he could regain some of what he was (Kazmir) he would be a fair 4-5 starter for our roster. Thoughts? (I haven't given it much of a thought myself so don't feel you are squashing my dreams if you burn this post)

No, Brad Radke has pitched in the MLB more recenlty than Prior. Sad story but his arm is ruined.

Jeremy Nygaard
07-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Baxendale activated for New Britain to take Matt Summers spot in the rotation. Summers was sent back to Fort Myers, who also activated Kyle Davies and DL'd Taylor Rogers.

Most recently, Cole De Vries was DL'd with a right elblow strain and A.J. Achter, who was just sent from AAA to AA, is coming back up to AAA.

Jeremy Nygaard
07-07-2013, 01:22 PM
David Hurlbut activated by the Kernels, who released C Jhonatan Arias to make room.

greengoblinrulz
07-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Curt Smith was also released by New Brit

Seth Stohs
07-08-2013, 06:56 AM
David Hurlbut activated by the Kernels, who released C Jhonatan Arias to make room.

Early in the season, I saw Arias working with Tyler Grimes on defense. On pitch calling, putting down the signals, blocking balls in the dirt, framing, everything. At the time, all I could think was how impressive it was that Arias was being so helpful to a guy who was most likely going to improve enough because of it to put Arias out of a job. Certainly no surprise in the move.

Rosterman
07-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Jermaine Mitchell signed out of the Phillies organization for CF at Rochester. Where do the Twins keep finding these guys?

Oldgoat_MN
07-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Jermaine Mitchell signed out of the Phillies organization for CF at Rochester. Where do the Twins keep finding these guys?

That made me laugh.
He is an OF with a sub .800 OPS in 4 years of AAA ball.

Does not occur like a game changer.
Are our minor league teams short on OF?

Jeremy Nygaard
07-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Since Pinto had some shoulder soreness and couldn't catch, Rohlfing went down to be the primary catcher. He had been sharing C/OF duties with Herrmann in AAA, where Dinkelman and Farris were already playing out of position in the OF. So long story short, organizationally, not a shortage... but in Rochester, yes.

Seth Stohs
07-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Kaleb Merck has been released by the Twins. He had pitched in six games for the Kernels.

Seth Stohs
07-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Luis Nunez was released by the Twins. He had been pitching with the Elizabethton Twins again this year.

nicksaviking
07-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Curt Smith was also released by New Brit

I thought this would lead to a Vargas promotion.

Mr. Ed
07-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Luis Nunez was released by the Twins. He had been pitching with the Elizabethton Twins again this year.

Why? Second guy who has pitched well at Eliz let go this year during the season. Angel Mata got let go last month.

rikker49
07-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Colabello will be called up after AS break? Did I read that correctly?

Jeremy Nygaard
07-16-2013, 08:16 AM
Dallas Gallant and Tim Shibuya, who were both rehabbing injuries in E-town, are joining the Kernels. CR has a full roster, so there will be corresponding moves. Jeffrey Johnson, who covers the Kernels, alluded to there being some major movements last night.

Chance
07-16-2013, 08:19 AM
Can't wait to hear them. I hope that there will be major movements throughout the minors, not just the lower levels.

Seth Stohs
07-16-2013, 08:24 AM
Let's just say... there will be a lot... hopefully we can announce them soon!

MichiganTwins
07-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Seth do you know who is getting moved and are just waiting for the Twins to announce it?

cmathewson
07-16-2013, 09:19 AM
How they can keep Adam Brett Walker down in CR any longer is beyond me. I'm usually a guy who preaches caution. But my goodness! He's destroying that league.

MichiganTwins
07-16-2013, 09:30 AM
I am guessing he is involved in this huge move. If not, I will cry.

nicksaviking
07-16-2013, 09:37 AM
Dallas Gallant and Tim Shibuya, who were both rehabbing injuries in E-town, are joining the Kernels. CR has a full roster, so there will be corresponding moves. Jeffrey Johnson, who covers the Kernels, alluded to there being some major movements last night.

Good news and about time. Both those guys are pitchers though and it's the offense you first look at with that club. Tyler Jones should have been promoted awile ago so you have to think he'll be moving. Walker and Hicks are both college guys, they likely need no more time in Low A. Williams has already spent a year and a half in this league. Polanco is young but what more could you ask for a middle infielder who is hitting the cover off the ball and has no contact issues at this point?

Seth Stohs
07-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Jeff Johnson (The Gazette - in Cedar Rapids) has a story Hicks among 4 Kernels promoted to high-Class A Fort Myers | TheGazette (http://thegazette.com/2013/07/16/hicks-among-4-kernels-promoted-to-high-class-a-fort-myers/)

The four players moving from Cedar Rapids to Ft. Myers are: JD Williams, Dalton Hicks, Steven Gruver and Tyler Jones.

He also notes that Tim Shibuya and Dallas Gallant are coming up from ETown. Also, Jairo Rodriguez is returning to Cedar Rapids from Ft. Myers.

Via Twitter- It appears that Evan Bigley and Ryan O'Rourke have been promoted from Ft. Myers to New Britain. (I assume there are more as well, this is just the start.)

Smcginnity
07-16-2013, 12:25 PM
I don't know much about O'Rourke. I found this article on him from his signing day but not much else.

Twins signing takes hurler Ryan O’Rourke to minors in Tennessee - The Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/yourtown/framingham/articles/2010/07/11/twins_signing_takes_hurler_ryan_orourke_to_minors_ in_tennessee/)

Jeremy Nygaard
07-16-2013, 01:26 PM
Bo Altobelli was activated by E-town today.

Seth Stohs
07-16-2013, 03:13 PM
I don't know much about O'Rourke. I found this article on him from his signing day but not much else.

Twins signing takes hurler Ryan O’Rourke to minors in Tennessee - The Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/yourtown/framingham/articles/2010/07/11/twins_signing_takes_hurler_ryan_orourke_to_minors_ in_tennessee/)

You could get an electronic copy of the Minnesota Twins Prospect Handbook - 2013! :)

Anyway, lefty, throws 90. Tremendous slider. Very aggressive and competitive. Very smart.

Smcginnity
07-16-2013, 03:19 PM
You could get an electronic copy of the Minnesota Twins Prospect Handbook - 2013! :)

Anyway, lefty, throws 90. Tremendous slider. Very aggressive and competitive. Very smart.

Ha, yes, I need to start putting that on my yearly purchases. I will soon. Thanks Seth.

Seth Stohs
07-16-2013, 03:19 PM
Kyle Knudson sent back to Ft. Myers... the only move officially announced by the Rock Cats today is Knudson to Ft. Myers and Bigley to New Britain.

nicksaviking
07-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Kyle Knudson sent back to Ft. Myers... the only move officially announced by the Rock Cats today is Knudson to Ft. Myers and Bigley to New Britain.

Still have to think Vargas moves up with Hicks now at Ft. Myers.

lightfoot789
07-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Maybe Walker is too young to move at 21 years old? The other guys (promoted) ranged from 22 to 24 years old. Maybe the Twins have a plan and want Walker to move slowly through each phase. Regardles to whether he is tearing it up on the field (3 Player of the Week honors in the MWL). That's crazy considering they have almost 50 games left. He even started the first day of this week off with 2 HRs in 1 game. Walker just needs to keep his head up and continue to dominate until they feel fit to move him. Stay in Beast Mode :angry:

Oxtung
07-16-2013, 11:25 PM
I would guess that Zach Jones goes to New Britain as well. He has some control problems but he is absolutely destroying the FSL. In 35 IP he has 50k's and only given up 18 Hits.

I wonder if part of the reasoning on Walker was Kvasnicka. Another reason for keeping Walker at CR might be the the fact that he is striking out in 22% of his PA's. Combine that with his age and they might want him to stay put to work on that swing and miss tendency where as Dalton Hicks, who also strikes out a bunch, is already 23.

nicksaviking
07-16-2013, 11:32 PM
I would guess that Zach Jones goes to New Britain as well. He has some control problems but he is absolutely destroying the FSL. In 35 IP he has 50k's and only given up 18 Hits.

I wonder if part of the reasoning on Walker was Kvasnicka. Another reason for keeping Walker at CR might be the the fact that he is striking out in 22% of his PA's. Combine that with his age and they might want him to stay put to work on that swing and miss tendency where as Dalton Hicks, who also strikes out a bunch, is already 23.

And I doubt anyone believes Hicks strikeouts will be remedied at any level. If Hicks succeeds, it will be inspite of his strikeouts.

Seth Stohs
07-16-2013, 11:32 PM
Hearing Jose Gonzalez to New Britain and Edgar Ibarra to Rochester.

Oxtung
07-16-2013, 11:45 PM
And I doubt anyone believes Hicks strikeouts will be remedied at any level. If Hicks succeeds, it will be inspite of his strikeouts.

Agreed, I was trying to make the point, poorly clearly, that for Hicks it was no or never where as Walker has more time to make adjustments.

lightfoot789
07-17-2013, 01:54 AM

Makes good sense what you wrote. Plus Kvasnicka is a 1st rounder and the Twins probably want to see what he has left in his tank (even @ 24 in A ball / 25 in December). He is beginning to play well lately. I like your points though.

rikker49
07-19-2013, 01:06 PM
When, when, when will Vargas be promoted? Where is the "boom"? All-star breaks are over. Get some trades done to shake up the organization.

nicksaviking
07-19-2013, 01:43 PM
Agreed, I was trying to make the point, poorly clearly, that for Hicks it was no or never where as Walker has more time to make adjustments.

No, your point was clear and valid. I just tried to add a rider to the opinion and my statement may have come across as contrary when it was actually intended as supporting evidence.

rikker49
07-20-2013, 11:19 AM
Any reason why Candido Pimentel was released? He was promoted to FM recently and doing well

maxisagod
07-20-2013, 11:34 AM
When, when, when will Vargas be promoted? Where is the "boom"? All-star breaks are over. Get some trades done to shake up the organization.

There are two other players that affect Vargas promotion besides himself. MIke Joseph Gonzales and Reynaldo A. Rodriguez. When Gonzales is off the DL there won't be room from him, Vargas, and Hicks at 1B/DH. Rodriguez isn't doing to bad in NB so releasing him isn't an ideal scenario either. Twins are probably giving it time to sort itself out, before having to release someone they can't get back.

Seth Stohs
07-20-2013, 12:32 PM
I hadn't seen that the Twins released 21-year-old German Markus Solbach this last week too. He was in his third season at the GCL.

Shane Wahl
07-20-2013, 01:30 PM
There are two other players that affect Vargas promotion besides himself. MIke Joseph Gonzales and Reynaldo A. Rodriguez. When Gonzales is off the DL there won't be room from him, Vargas, and Hicks at 1B/DH. Rodriguez isn't doing to bad in NB so releasing him isn't an ideal scenario either. Twins are probably giving it time to sort itself out, before having to release someone they can't get back.

Rodriguez is 27 at AA and has an OPS of .766. There is ZERO reason to hold back Vargas because of that guy.

Jeremy Nygaard
07-20-2013, 03:17 PM
The reason that Vargas wasn't promoted with the other guys was because the organization wanted to see how he'd do without Sano in the lineup.

By month:
April - 247/300/441 (741)
May - 313/407/646 (1053)
June - 354/420/544 (965)
July - 213/286/295 (581)

Obviously, Sano went up in mid-June so this isn't a great breakdown (and we're dealing with smallish samples - esp in July), but I think it's ok to keep Vargas here to see how he continues to adjust.

In Vargas' defense, Rodriguez has been worse since the Sano promotion too... Sano was better with Vargas, etc. I see Vargas has been DHing lately, so he's been getting a little break. Let him get amped back up and send him to NB when he goes on a little streak, but give him some time.

maxisagod
07-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Rodriguez is 27 at AA and has an OPS of .766. There is ZERO reason to hold back Vargas because of that guy.

Zero is a very low number. Here's a couple.

Injuries and demotions. When they happen it leaves a system short handed, and they tend to promote guys that aren't ready. If you release someone you can't get them back. if Vargas got promoted but but didn't look ready for AA and send him back down again, they may not have anyone ready to take his place. If the Rock Cats find themselfs in playoff run that might seem short sighted.

Vargas has Never completed a full season of ball, no one can say what happens when he gets into a second half of play in a league. Like Jeremy said, it been a number of years since he hasn't had Sano protecting him or Vice versa.

Im a big Vargas fan. I hope he's our 1st baseman of the future. I like his bat a lot, his foot work at first base is good, and its rare to see so much power from both sides of the plate. I want Sano to stay at 3rd so Vargas doesn't get blocked in the future. I also think he should get added to the 40 man if he eligible to get rule Five'd; Not a view held by a lot of people smarter than I. ;)

Rodriguez isn't going to help our Big league club ever, but he has value for the system and throwing him away before you need to isn't good system management.