PDA

View Full Version : Article: Position Analysis: Shortstop

Nick Nelson
03-20-2013, 09:20 PM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=1471-Position-Analysis-Shortstop

Lesser Dali
03-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Obviously SS is going to be a hemorrhoid for the Twins this season. I would imagine when all is said and done Carroll will get the majority of playing time at that position this season.

It seems like the Twins are somewhat optimistic about Daniel Santana as a possible answer to this void a few years from now, but that's a crap shoot.

Barring a trade or free agent signing, Shortstop looks to be a statue of inequity for the Twins in the foreseeable future.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
03-20-2013, 09:46 PM
Eduardo Escobar has a little more potential than Florimon does, so I really hope Esky performs well enough to earn the starting spot by mid-season. They're pretty similar players as you mention Nick, yet Escobar is Pedro 2.0. There is a small hope that Escobar will be able hit the ball not terribly (.600+OPS?), but really none for Florimon.

Mauerpower
03-20-2013, 10:33 PM
Yeah, Escobar should be starting ahead of florimon.

old nurse
03-21-2013, 12:03 AM
Is being a SS for the Twins like being a drummer for Spinal Tap?

tjsyam921
03-21-2013, 04:28 AM
Sure would be nice to still have Hardy around, but that still doesn't solve the pitching problem.

stringer bell
03-21-2013, 05:27 AM
The area where I'm expecting improvement in the Twins this year is defense. I think that either Florimon or Escobar will provide plus defense at the crucial position of SS. While I don't expect either guy to hit much, I would hope the aggregate at short could hit .230 with 5+ homers. Too optimistic, I suppose.

beckmt
03-21-2013, 05:57 AM
I agree that Escobar has a better chance of hitting .230. Hope he will get a chance

spycake
03-21-2013, 06:44 AM
Is being a SS for the Twins like being a drummer for Spinal Tap?
So your prediction is that Florimon will die in a bizarre gardening accident?

It does seem like Dozier spontaneously combusted last year...

fairweather
03-21-2013, 08:52 AM
Escobar is better and I expect he will end up the starting SS before June. I don't dislike Florimon and I hope I'm wrong because he has incredible defensive skills. He reminds me of Casilla in that way. Hopefully it works out better for Pedro than it did for Alexi.

chuchadoro
03-21-2013, 09:47 AM
On the bright side, Levi Michael has a chance to solidify New Britain's MI for years to come.

E. Andrew
03-21-2013, 10:10 AM
The area where I'm expecting improvement in the Twins this year is defense. I think that either Florimon or Escobar will provide plus defense at the crucial position of SS. While I don't expect either guy to hit much, I would hope the aggregate at short could hit .230 with 5+ homers. Too optimistic, I suppose.

Yeah, both solid gloves, hopefully one gets a hot bat. Anything even approaching .250 would be awesome, as would 15+ SB.

stringer bell
03-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Yeah, both solid gloves, hopefully one gets a hot bat. Anything even approaching .250 would be awesome, as would 15+ SB.In looking at Escobar and glancing at his stats, I get the feeling that while he has good hands and a strong arm, that he isn't fast--"average" but not much more--and I think this is why he is looked at as only a utility guy.

ashburyjohn
03-21-2013, 10:57 PM
At equivalent ages, Escobar's batting line has always been better than Florimon's, until last year. Escobar is younger and if 2012 was a fluke then he's still got the potential to be a better hitter than Florimon, and I would like to see him have the chance.

Oldgoat_MN
03-21-2013, 11:13 PM
Escobar sucks as a hitter, but his glove had him rated as the best defensive MI in the White Sux farm system for years. He will be 24 years old this year. He could get better offensively.
I, too, hope something special happens for Florimon. Alas, he will be 27 years old this year and I suspect that such an event is unlikely.

old nurse - Spinal Tap - hehe
tjsyam921 - Yeah, I wish we still had Hardy, too.

ashburyjohn
03-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Escobar sucks as a hitter

As a 22-year-old in AAA he looked like he might have a ceiling on offense like Pat Meares, with better defense. That's no all-star, but a far sight better than Florimon's ceiling which looks more like Chico Ruiz. His 2012 was bad, no doubt about it, but players have bad years and bounce back and he may have suffered from being moved around a lot. I think he's too young to say he sucks.