PDA

View Full Version : Article: Position Analysis: Second Base

Nick Nelson
03-17-2013, 07:38 PM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=1462-Position-Analysis-Second-Base

Top Gun
03-18-2013, 01:03 AM
I hope he makes it big, because it's going to be a very long season without him.

Oldgoat_MN
03-18-2013, 07:36 AM
Excellent write-up Nick.
I agree with Top Gun. If he doesn't perform pretty well it's going to suck. He, Escobar or Florimon have to play better than their past stats suggest.

halfchest
03-18-2013, 10:23 AM
Just got back from Florida and Brian started at 2B for the three games I watched. I am obviously no scout or expert, or even a blogger but holy crap did he pass the eye test.

Guy was making plays left and right honestly. My Brother in law and father in law were with me and are what you'd probably consider to be casual fans. They were both asking me all kinds of questions about Dozier because of the plays he made. Neither remembered him from last year and I explained yah, he wasn't too memorable.

He was a part of multiple double plays over the three games and especially Wednesday night he made at least two or three very good diving plays. Even saw him do the Jeter I'm running the other way and somehow throwing it to first jump throw. Dead on and out. He also go screwed by the ump on a very close play at first for a double play on Saturdays game.

Just a ton of fun to watch him. I think at least defensively he and Florimon or Escobar are going to look good defensively this year. If he can swing the bat even a little better than last year and maybe get on base at a .350 clip he could be a great role player for the Twins.

What did you think of him Nick when you were down in FL?

twinslover
03-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Having Dozier and Carrol as the options for second base feels as comforting as a colonoscopy.

Mr. Brooks
03-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Having Dozier and Carrol as the options for second base feels as comforting as a colonoscopy.

The key is to find an Asian doctor, they have smaller fingers.

Nick Nelson
03-18-2013, 12:45 PM
What did you think of him Nick when you were down in FL?

I actually didn't see much of Dozier, he played in only one of the three games I saw and wasn't around the practice fields much when I was there.

From chatting with some people, the sense I got is that everyone's very impressed with his progress in the field, but there are still doubts -- even internally -- about whether his bat is going to pan out.

ashburyjohn
03-18-2013, 01:51 PM

If this is key, then methinks you have been talked into going to the wrong doctors. :)

FrodaddyG
03-18-2013, 03:05 PM
If there are fingers involved in your colonoscopy, you probably want to find a new doctor.

Mr. Brooks
03-18-2013, 03:12 PM
LOL, tbh I'm not at that age yet. That's not how they do it? Are you telling me the movies have lied to me?

diehardtwinsfan
03-18-2013, 04:37 PM
LOL, tbh I'm not at that age yet. That's not how they do it? Are you telling me the movies have lied to me?

yep, it involves a rather unpleasant colon cleanse and a camera. Prostate exams on the other hand, can involve fingers.

ashburyjohn
03-18-2013, 04:38 PM

I'll get the mods mad at me again if I speculate on what kind of movies have given you this idea.

Here's the straight poop:
Colonoscopy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonoscopy)
Unless your doctor has fingers 12001500 mm in length that can take pictures, I recommend staying with established medical art.

Oxtung
03-18-2013, 05:03 PM
Prostate exams on the other hand, can involve fingers.

I've always imagined it is just like this! Can't wait!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jjSlveHFqk

stringer bell
03-18-2013, 10:41 PM
I was also in Florida last week. I agree with halfchest's assessment of Dozier's play. He had a terrific defensive game Wednesday night. He has hit a bit better of late, including going deep today. I have a bet with my brother that Dozier will hit over .260 and I like my chances. The key will be whether Dozier dramatically improves his OBP. After being a pretty patient hitter in the minors, Dozier didn't take many walks and had several "giveaway" at-bats. It seemed to me that BD really was pressing and with a better mental outlook, he should do much better.

Shane Wahl
03-18-2013, 11:59 PM
Dozier is clearly a second baseman. Watch him after his first 10-15 games at short last yea--he starts to no charge properly and takes a scared approach to the ball. He has fixed that as a second baseman. He is the viable option for the coming year. Keep in mind that he should be more comfortable in his defense so that should affect his confidence at the plate.

SpiritofVodkaDave
03-19-2013, 12:04 AM
I've always imagined it is just like this! Can't wait!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jjSlveHFqk

I got very sick last year and had to have my prostate checked for the first time (I am not even 30 yet), the worst part is I had no time to prepare and my doctor was a 6 foot 5 big Polish dude, yeah...it wasn't very fun :/

I told him I would prob not do well and he just laughed and said "don't worry I will be gentle"

Linus
03-19-2013, 09:51 PM
This might sound crazy but Dozier could be very important this year. They desperately need at least one of the MI to swing the bat. While they have a good lineup in other areas they will have too many holes if Dozier, Floriman and possibly others are struggling at the plate.