PDA

View Full Version : Hicks to win CF job?

diehardtwinsfan
03-16-2013, 10:06 AM
That's what these guys (http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2013/3/13/4101824/twins-rumors-aaron-hicks-likely-to-win-cf-job) are saying.

Personally, I'm a bit surprised by it. I think I'd rather give the Maestro a shot for a couple of months in a lost season, but it isn't as though Hicks hasn't done well. Hopefully this isn't Dozier part 2.

Seth Stohs
03-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Dozier will be fine, but that is a good reminder that a couple of months in AAA isn't ever going to hurt anyone.

gunnarthor
03-16-2013, 10:19 AM
I think the team should give it to Hicks, even if I think he'll be over-matched a bit. They announced that it was an open competition and he's clearly outplayed Benson and Maestro. He's earned it for now. If he struggles, he gets sent to AAA and his service time clock stops.

kab21
03-16-2013, 11:07 AM
The problem with sending him down is that there really isn't a good backup if Mastro is starting. Parmelee might be starting in right but Mauer/Morneau/Doumit/Willy will get their days off. It's either Boggs or Benson starting on their days off or when they get dinged up (the non-DL inactive list).

jorgenswest
03-16-2013, 11:39 AM
I would trade 1 month of the 23 year old Hicks for a full season in his prime. It is only a few weeks before the Twins gain an additional year of control. They should not care about super 2 status. They can afford the additional cost due to an extra year of arbitration status. They should care about that additional year of control.

Benson has the glove to be the 4th OF in April while getting a few starts against left handed pitching.

SpiritofVodkaDave
03-16-2013, 11:56 AM
The service time issue is overblown, the kid earned his spot give it to him! You can always sign him to a long term deal a year or two out.

SpiritofVodkaDave
03-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Also hicks as the starting CF actually creates some excitement and hope for the beginning of the season, I don't dislike maestro but let's be honest, he is nothing special

Willihammer
03-16-2013, 11:59 AM
he's clearly outplayed Benson and Maestro.
Has he outplayed Mastro?

gunnarthor
03-16-2013, 12:15 PM
Has he outplayed Mastro?

Yes, and remained healthy. Although Maestro's had a nice ST, too.

Nick Nelson
03-16-2013, 12:16 PM
I've been saying since December (https://twitter.com/nnelson9/statuses/277483683869491201) I thought Hicks would be the starter as long as he didn't drop an egg in the Grapefruit League. I've not seen a single thing that's made me doubt it.

There's no need to rehash the service time discussion, it's just not going to be a factor here. He may be get sent down at some point due to struggles with the transition, and if that happens this is a non-issue. If it doesn't happen, that means Hicks is catching on and in that case we'll probably be too pleased to be concerned with decisions that are six years away.

diehardtwinsfan
03-16-2013, 12:17 PM
Benson has the glove to be the 4th OF in April while getting a few starts against left handed pitching.

While Benson had a bad year last year, he has the potential to be a corner outfield bat too. You can use Mastro fas a 4th OF. Benson should be playing every day.

kab21
03-16-2013, 11:03 PM
While Benson had a bad year last year, he has the potential to be a corner outfield bat too. You can use Mastro fas a 4th OF. Benson should be playing every day.The problem is that Benson is having a terrible spring also. It's difficult to call it a competition if the winner is the worst performer. Benson should also get full time ABs.

Mr. Brooks
03-17-2013, 08:13 AM
I would have been fine with them sending Hicks down to start the year. But if they were going to do that, they should have kept their mouths shut.
But, they openly stated at every opportunity that if he earns the job, he'll go north.
I think it would look bad to spend all winter saying that, then send him down anyway when he's (by all accounts) done everything he needs to do to "win" the job.

diehardtwinsfan
03-17-2013, 12:28 PM
The problem is that Benson is having a terrible spring also. It's difficult to call it a competition if the winner is the worst performer. Benson should also get full time ABs.

Which is exactly why he's going to Rochester. It would be very irresponsible of the Twins if he was brought on as a 4th OF. I get that this may be all he ends up being, but that's his floor, and his ceiling is much better.

Drtwins
03-17-2013, 12:44 PM
The whole Hicks has outplayed Mastro is a joke, unless you are basing your judgement solely on HR's. They have both played really well. Hicks may have a slight edge in the field with a little stronger arm, both have a quick first step and are fast. Mastro has a better batting avg., obp, and ops. Mastro has also drawn more walks in half the plate appearances, has struck out 10 less times in 23 less appearances, and leads in steals 6 to 2. In addition, mastro has been solid throughout spring even while missing a week with an injury. Hicks started off hot and has been slumping a little lately. As a leadoff hitter to this point Mastro looks like the better option. Potential and fan excitement I would agree with Hicks, but to this point who deserves it I would lean slightly towards Darin. Let Benson be the 4th OF and pinch hitter with power call Hicks up in May or June when someone gets hurt or is playing poorly.

FrodaddyG
03-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Hicks may have a slight edge in the field with a little stronger arm, both have a quick first step and are fast.
Not arguing the rest as the spring results go, but Hicks is a flat-out superior fielder. Mastro is good enough to be an acceptable CF, but profiles better as an above-average corner guy defensively. Hicks has legit Gold Glove potential as a CF.

tellis205
03-18-2013, 05:51 PM
I just got back from spending the whole week down there. Defensively, there is no question Hicks isready to contribute at the major league level. Offensively he's dropping off now in the 2nd half of ST now that he's starting to see more veteran pitching. Gardenhire still talks about Mastro being the 4th outfielder which means he still thinks Hicks is the main guy. I personally don't believe that he's ready to contribute productively consistently offensively. Especially in the leadoff spot. Mastro could do it for a month or so but he's not an every day player in my opinion either. By the way, I was quite impressed by Mastro this week. If it was up to me, I'd start out with Mastro for a month
and bring Hicks up later. I just don't see any upside to having Hicks hit .179 in April, then get sent down. Just my opinion.

Thrylos
03-18-2013, 06:06 PM
Here is something to chew on for the ones who are worried about Hicks' "service time":
If Hicks starts April Fool's with the Twins and stays all season, the Twins have control of the next 6 years of his career. At about year 3 or 4 (at least) of that, Byron Buxton will be calling for a starting job.

Dave T
03-18-2013, 06:08 PM
My preference is, Hicks in CF and Mastro in right. Let Parmalee come off the bench.

diehardtwinsfan
03-18-2013, 06:12 PM
My preference is, Hicks in CF and Mastro in right. Let Parmalee come off the bench.

Parmalee has no business coming in off the bench. He should be starting somewhere.

Shane Wahl
03-18-2013, 06:14 PM
This is the issue (forget service time). There should not be a repeat of Dozier 2012 (or Parmelee 2012, for that matter). Stick with him or wait awhile. Another guy going back and forth between AAA and the Twins is NOT good.

Mr. Brooks
03-18-2013, 06:49 PM
This is the issue (forget service time). There should not be a repeat of Dozier 2012 (or Parmelee 2012, for that matter). Stick with him or wait awhile. Another guy going back and forth between AAA and the Twins is NOT good.

I'm probably totally off base here, I'm far from an expert on the subject of hitting coaches.
But, I'm hopeful that this will be less of an issue with Brunansky in there instead of Vavra. I always got the impression that Vavra was good working with the veterans (mechanical issues), but was not very good at all at working with the youngsters (mental issues).
Again, could be totally wrong, but that was the impression that I got.

stringer bell
03-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Hicks is a better fielder for sure. He also has shown patience as a hitter at every level and would profile as a leadoff guy. Mastro is older, no better at getting on base, and less impressive defensively. I hope that Hicks can demonstrate he can handle being a big leaguer without hurting his development and I believe he will. Mastroianni is a backup outfielder who has added value as a baserunner. His role should be as a fourth OF.

Mr. Brooks
03-18-2013, 06:58 PM
Hicks is a better fielder for sure. He also has shown patience as a hitter at every level and would profile as a leadoff guy. Mastro is older, no better at getting on base, and less impressive defensively. I hope that Hicks can demonstrate he can handle being a big leaguer without hurting his development and I believe he will. Mastroianni is a backup outfielder who has added value as a baserunner. His role should be as a fourth OF.

Yeah, I was going to add that in my post and forgot.
The big thing that Hicks has going for him that Valencia/Dozier/Parmalee didnt is his elite defense at a premium position.
Its a lot easier to keep running a guy out there during an extended slump if he's giving you + defense.
Of course that didnt stop them from bailing on Gomez, then Hardy, so.......who knows.

Don't Feed the Greed Guy
03-18-2013, 07:13 PM
. Benson should be playing every day.

In AAA.

cmathewson
03-18-2013, 07:38 PM
This from Top Jimmy (http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/blogs/198603811.html):

Don't believe anybody who tells you Aaron Hicks won't be the Twins' centerfielder on opening day. He's taking excellent at-bats and playing centerfield better than Denard Span ever did. He's a lock, if healthy. Joe Benson remains raw and needs to prove himself for a long stretch in the minors before he'll be considered a big-leaguer, and Darin Mastroianni is, was and ever shall be an extra outfielder.

diehardtwinsfan
03-18-2013, 07:57 PM
In AAA.

Pretty much.

kab21
03-18-2013, 10:58 PM
Which is exactly why he's going to Rochester. It would be very irresponsible of the Twins if he was brought on as a 4th OF. I get that this may be all he ends up being, but that's his floor, and his ceiling is much better.

And if Benson is going to Rochester then Hicks almost has to be up with the Twins as a starter. The only option that I can see as backup OF'er is Boggs and he isn't that good. It's very likely that backup OF'er is playing 3-4 times/wk even if he's not the starter. Mauer/Morneau/Doumit/Willy can always use days off in addition to giving Parmelee or Hicks a day off occasionally. That's why Boggs/Benson are poor options as the 4th Of'er imo.

I also think the Twins have boxed themselves into a corner. They have promoted Hicks enough and he has had a good spring. He almost needs to be on the opening day roster imo.

SpiritofVodkaDave
03-18-2013, 11:13 PM
Benson will be up with the club the minute they trade Morneau and move Parmelee to first base, thus opening up an OF spot.

Shane Wahl
03-18-2013, 11:16 PM

Ok, so I am not sure who you were responding to, but you do make a good point whether or not you meant it as such. My worries about Doziering or Parmleeing Hicks don't apply really since the dude has been MLB ready defensively since 2011 probably. I do think that in Dozier's case that as soon as he started struggling defensively, it messed with him offensively. In Hicks' case, that isn't the issue. And Parmelee is just not a good defensive option anywhere. So the comparison doesn't hold fully. I still want the Twins to handle Hicks correctly this year.

SpiritofVodkaDave
03-18-2013, 11:22 PM
I don't understand why people think that sending him to AAA during the season and then back up to the majors is some sort of "wrong" way of handling him. As long as he is playing every day he will be fine. It's not like he is some "mental midget" ;)

Shane Wahl
03-18-2013, 11:25 PM
Let's keep in mind that a Benson-Hicks-Arcia OF at the end of the year could mean a big haul in trades at the deadline. I have a hard time believing that Willingham and Morneau wouldn't bring back Span-Revere like returns. Add Parmelee into that mix and it could be Span-Revere-Liriano trade returns (assuming Parm has a good year).

There are things that happen as a chain reaction (I am about chain reactions and player development around here). Adding legit pitchers could mean that even the naysayers about Trevor May could be right in that maybe his future ends up in the bullpen. That is maybe another year of Twins trades brings in more pitching prospects and so May becomes a setup-closer option instead of a starter. (Note: that is why I like Hudson Boyd draft selections more than college reliever selections--draft starters to convert into relievers if you have to--Nick Wittgren aside--that would have been a good pick instead of that ass who didn't sign).

Shane Wahl
03-18-2013, 11:27 PM
I don't understand why people think that sending him to AAA during the season and then back up to the majors is some sort of "wrong" way of handling him. As long as he is playing every day he will be fine. It's not like he is some "mental midget" ;)

That's cool, but I think it messes with people if they have been essentially promoted from AA to the big leagues and then sent down to AAA and then back up. See Revere 2011, Parmelee and Dozier 2012.

Shane Wahl
03-18-2013, 11:29 PM
Point is: It is probably good to promote from AA to AAA and then MLB. There's value in that. I have started threads about the worth of AAA experience. Maybe it doesn't apply to Hicks since the overall defense is THAT stellar.

stringer bell
03-18-2013, 11:51 PM
I'm convinced that the primary beneficiary of a Morneau or Willingham trade will be Arcia. He's probably already a better hitter than Benson, and if a corner opens up, he should at least be platooned. He has the added advantage of being a lefthanded hitter.

SpiritofVodkaDave
03-18-2013, 11:58 PM
That's cool, but I think it messes with people if they have been essentially promoted from AA to the big leagues and then sent down to AAA and then back up. See Revere 2011, Parmelee and Dozier 2012.
I'm not sure how it messed with those guys though. In reality Revere, Parmelee and Dozier were never close to the prospect that Hicks is and was. Hicks is a 5 tool type guy, while the rest are 1 or 2 tool guys.

SpiritofVodkaDave
03-18-2013, 11:59 PM
I'm convinced that the primary beneficiary of a Morneau or Willingham trade will be Arcia. He's probably already a better hitter than Benson, and if a corner opens up, he should at least be platooned. He has the added advantage of being a lefthanded hitter.
I have a feeling that Arcia is going to need at least half a season in the minors before he is ready, don't get me wrong I am thrilled about him, but he really needs to get his strike out rate in check before he is a viable every day candidate up north.

Benson I think will be given a shot just as a "sink or swim" type thing.

kab21
03-19-2013, 02:18 AM
Benson will be up with the club the minute they trade Morneau and move Parmelee to first base, thus opening up an OF spot.If Benson shows that he can hit anywhere he will certainly get his chance. So far he hasn't hit in spring training or last year. He has some skills and I really want to pull for the guy but my expectations are not that high.

I also think it will be tough to promote Benson over Arcia at midseason so it would take two moves/injuries for Benson to get a shot.

mike wants wins
03-19-2013, 08:57 AM
Everything SpiritDave said on this page is spot on (well, page 2, this might slip over to page three, which would actually be kind of funny).

Mr. Brooks
03-19-2013, 12:16 PM
I have a feeling that Arcia is going to need at least half a season in the minors before he is ready, don't get me wrong I am thrilled about him, but he really needs to get his strike out rate in check before he is a viable every day candidate up north.

Benson I think will be given a shot just as a "sink or swim" type thing.

Benson has a K rate nearly double that of Arcia, so if one of these two has to get their K rate in check I would say that is Benson.
As of right now, I think Arcia is well ahead of Benson in the organization's eyes, and I dont even think its particularly close.

stringer bell
03-20-2013, 06:27 AM
If the Twins trade only Morneau at the deadline and don't get back a major league position player, it could be that both Benson and Arcia would be recalled to platoon in right, with Butera or a utility infielder being sent down. That is a long way out and a lot will happen in between, but giving both a chance to succeed is going to be the goal and a modified platoon would probably give them that chance.