PDA

View Full Version : Article: Spring Training Organizational Depth Chart: The Relief Pitchers

Seth Stohs
03-14-2013, 01:57 AM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=1454-Spring-Training-Organizational-Depth-Chart-The-Relief-Pitchers

shs_59
03-14-2013, 02:52 AM
Wait a minute??!!? Zach Jones isn't a top 8 Relief Prospect?
or
DJ Baxendale for that mattter?

really? Tyler Jones is ? , what am i missing (thanks)

Seth Stohs
03-14-2013, 08:30 AM
Good catch. That was a miss. Zack Jones should be ranked somewhere between 3 and 4 on this. Tyler Jones is a solid starting pitching option though, but he'll start out this year in the bullpen. He can hit 94. But as it relates to relievers, that 100 mph fastball is going to rank well.

Baxendale is a starter.

Jim Crikket
03-14-2013, 09:22 AM
I realize the lists don't take in to account pitchers who may end up released before ST wraps up and perhaps a few more that could start the season on the DL, but that's still a lot of relief arms at each level. Especially considering that many of the pitchers identified as starters will actually work out of the bullpen for chunks of the season to keep their innings down.

I had projected some of the pitchers you've got earmarked for the Miracle to begin the season in Cedar Rapids simply because I had trouble figuring out how the Twins would find room for all of the guys above them without forcing them down a level to start with.

I guess that's a good problem to have... too many legitimately talented arms... but I do wonder if it means some pretty good arms will be let go before the Twins can really find out if they can pitch.

mike wants wins
03-14-2013, 09:24 AM
Some of the arms are talented, but some are TALENTED. I'd rather the second group be where they belong, and the other group be put where there are holes. So, if a guy was in NB last year, but is just an arm, move him to CR if there is a guy that should be in NB. But I realize most teams don't roll that way.

cmathewson
03-14-2013, 02:32 PM
I don't see Burnett making the team this year. He's been horrible this spring and he has an option. Not sure about Wood, either. He is out of options, but I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to pass him through waivers to make room for DeVries or Deduno. He's been better the last couple of outings, but he's still way too slow to home plate to be anything but a closer, which is what he will be for Rochester this year, imo.

So who goes in their place? Tyler Robertson for one. The second guy is anyone's guess. The only guy who's pitched well is PJ Walters, and he's not on the 40-man. Maybe Swarzak can make a late impression and avoid the DL.

fairweather
03-14-2013, 06:19 PM
This is the one spot where the team seems to have a little depth. Then you look harder and see that it's all an illusion.

tju22
03-14-2013, 06:45 PM
What happened to Manuel Soliman? I thought he was a converted position prospect but didn't see him here or under SP but that he was a raw hard thrower with a chance to start

fairweather
03-14-2013, 06:51 PM
Didn't Solimon have the TJ surgery towards the end of last season?

tju22
03-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Didn't Solimon have the TJ surgery towards the end of last season?

Wasn't be showing some promise as well? Even if he had TJ which sounds right now that you mention it, I thought he'd be included somewhere.

Thrylos
03-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Agree with JC, plenty of those guys, esp. at the higher levels, will no longer be with the Twins in 2 weeks.

I still see Harden as a starter with the Twins (if everything works out) or gone by his opt out day (if not). Not a reliever in Rochester...

Still not convinced that Burnett and Fien should make it up North. Burnett has been horrid pretty much every time (even against MiLB opposition - late in ST games.) I would also not count some listed as potential Rochester starters out of possible (long) relief roles. Someone needs to replace Swarzak. Cannot be Duensing any longer, so it will probably be someone who can pitch long and did not make the rotation (PJ Walters?? Deduno??? )

Seth Stohs
03-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Soliman is likely going to be a bullpen guy. I should have had him on here. He has labrum surgery last year. He is throwing to live hitters already. Should be interesting to see if he's ready early in the season.

Seth Stohs
03-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Agree with JC, plenty of those guys, esp. at the higher levels, will no longer be with the Twins in 2 weeks.

I still see Harden as a starter with the Twins (if everything works out) or gone by his opt out day (if not). Not a reliever in Rochester...

Still not convinced that Burnett and Fien should make it up North. Burnett has been horrid pretty much every time (even against MiLB opposition - late in ST games.) I would also not count some listed as potential Rochester starters out of possible (long) relief roles. Someone needs to replace Swarzak. Cannot be Duensing any longer, so it will probably be someone who can pitch long and did not make the rotation (PJ Walters?? Deduno??? )

Correct. A lot of those guys will be released. I think I put that up in the header of a few of the articles.

Harden's opt-out isn't until July 31, so that says where he's at. I guess he could start, but it's impossible to know until he's at least throwing some bullpens.

Mave
03-20-2013, 04:01 PM
It is fun to see some prospects here with great arms, and some great stuff. Something I enjoy in watching a top-notch reliever is the mindset they impose on their own team, and the opponent when they enter the game. They know they have great stuff and they can get you out of a jam, and as an opposing hitter, you know they can bring it and put you away.

Is there someone in this system who you think can/will suck the air out of an opponent when they enter the game?