PDA

View Full Version : In Bizarro Game, Twins Relievers Implode Again

John Bonnes
03-13-2013, 09:47 PM
Kevin Correia had spring training's longest outing. Chris Parmelee saved a home run by leaping over the outfield wall. And Dozier ranged, dove three times and converted all of them to outs. JP Kinsela couldn't have scripted this game.

But the Twins lost because (stop me if you've heard this before this spring) a couple of relievers imploded.

We're not 19 days away from Opening Day. Is it still too early to start worrying about the bullpen? Are some of these guys snapping out of it yet?

Twins waste great defense and a late rally | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/197902601.html)

Halsey Hall
03-13-2013, 10:01 PM
The Twins were a k machine tonight. Not much to get excited about but Parmalee's leap, and Dozier's great plays, and watching Mastro take bases. A nice comeback finally, and then, as stated, implosion. At least the fireworks after were nice.

70charger
03-13-2013, 10:05 PM
Who were the imploding relievers? If it's a few minor leaguers, I don't really care much, but I'm interested if it's guys like Robertson, Fien, etc., who are likely to spend significant time with the Twins.

70charger
03-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Aaaaand I just saw your link.

Carry on.

glunn
03-13-2013, 11:26 PM
Who were the imploding relievers? If it's a few minor leaguers, I don't really care much, but I'm interested if it's guys like Robertson, Fien, etc., who are likely to spend significant time with the Twins.

The relievers were Josh Roenicke and Caleb Thielbar.

Seth Stohs
03-13-2013, 11:27 PM
I listened to the Orioles radio broadcast during the middle innings. They absolutely raved about how incredible the Dozier plays were. Good range both ways at 2B, and plenty of arm.

Always funny when people make final decisions on players after a half-season.

SpiritofVodkaDave
03-14-2013, 12:02 AM
Why on earth should anyone be concerned that a few guys who have zero chance of making the roster "struggled" in the bullpen in a meaningless game?

I guess a case could possibly be almost made about Gibson in this game, but he isn't going to be on the major league roster off the bat anyways.

The only thing I care about this spring is:
1. the team looks somewhat healthy (esp mauer/morneau)
2. Hicks is going to win the CF job.

SpiritofVodkaDave
03-14-2013, 12:07 AM
I listened to the Orioles radio broadcast during the middle innings. They absolutely raved about how incredible the Dozier plays were. Good range both ways at 2B, and plenty of arm.

To be fair most rationale people didn't make any decisions on Dozier, they said he was a work in progress and shouldn't have been automatically penciled into this teams future. It's great he looks good at 2nd, but his offense needs to pick up if he wants to become something better then what we have had the past 8 or so seasons at 2B.

Shane Wahl
03-14-2013, 12:23 AM
Roenicke is a joke. Sorry. I am not sure why this team bothered when it has a TON of MR guys waiting in AA/AAA. Other than OF, the system is deepest in middle relief types so bringing in Roenicke and Wood is just stupid. It's even worse than Maloney and Gray.

Watts and Pugh are real pitchers who might be as good as Roenicke and Wood now, but they have time to get better. I DO NOT understand why this organization continually buys joke pitchers when mid-level prospects can take their place. Correia, Roenicke, and Wood vs. DeVries/Deduno, Watts, and Pugh.

Shane Wahl
03-14-2013, 12:23 AM
Dozier as a second baseman is going to lead to good things for him at the plate.

PseudoSABR
03-14-2013, 04:15 AM
I'm curious about Parm's play of robbing a 'home run'. Was it just happenstance or can the kid actually field the position?

Halsey Hall
03-14-2013, 08:29 AM
Parmalee made a great play on that ball. It was hit high and deep, and he ran back, right on track of the ball, got to the fence and leaped. His glove and about half his forearm were over the fence when he snagged it.

Brock Beauchamp
03-14-2013, 08:42 AM

Dozier's 2012 was so baffling. The guy was never renown for his ranginess. But he was known for sure-handed, smart baseball.

Too many people were putting all their stock in Dozier on his 2012 play and not enough stock in what basically every scout and coach had said about him in the past few years. He simply isn't the guy we saw last year. That doesn't guarantee MLB success, but it does mean he won't be as bad (defensively, at least) as he was last season.

Brock Beauchamp
03-14-2013, 08:44 AM
I'm curious about Parm's play of robbing a 'home run'. Was it just happenstance or can the kid actually field the position?

http://media.oregonlive.com/pbeavers_impact/photo/rodneymccraycrashjpg-5fe8b577d62980fe_large.jpg

SpiritofVodkaDave
03-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Dozier's 2012 was so baffling. The guy was never renown for his ranginess. But he was known for sure-handed, smart baseball.

Too many people were putting all their stock in Dozier on his 2012 play and not enough stock in what basically every scout and coach had said about him in the past few years. He simply isn't the guy we saw last year. That doesn't guarantee MLB success, but it does mean he won't be as bad (defensively, at least) as he was last season.

The majority of scouts said he projected to be more of a util guy then a starter, for some reason people got super optimistic and thought he would be the SS of the future.

Brock Beauchamp
03-14-2013, 10:32 AM
The majority of scouts said he projected to be more of a util guy then a starter, for some reason people got super optimistic and thought he would be the SS of the future.

A utility guy on many teams is a starter for the Twins. We tend to keep the bar pretty low when it comes to middle infielders. Like many, I was sketchy on Dozier remaining at short but I completely understood why the team tried to keep him there. He doesn't have to hit as much and he's much more valuable if he can play even a mediocre shortstop.

SpiritofVodkaDave
03-14-2013, 11:10 AM
A utility guy on many teams is a starter for the Twins. We tend to keep the bar pretty low when it comes to middle infielders. Like many, I was sketchy on Dozier remaining at short but I completely understood why the team tried to keep him there. He doesn't have to hit as much and he's much more valuable if he can play even a mediocre shortstop.
I realize that, but that wasn't the issue. He had one good minor league season and people got all hot and bothered that he would become some hot shot SS for us in the majors.

spycake
03-14-2013, 11:41 AM

It's also funny when broadcasters rate the defensive abilities of a player from watching a one-game sample. And maybe even funnier when people use that broadcaster's analysis as evidence of anything.

ashburyjohn
03-14-2013, 01:37 PM
Aaaaand I just saw your link.

Carry on.

There is a Delete button, under the Edit feature, FWIW. I use it frequently, though not on this reply.

Halsey Hall
03-14-2013, 04:36 PM
Last night Dozier looked so much faster on his throws than last season. He was getting rid of the ball in a hurry. And the throws were accurate enough for the lanky Morneau to get them. If that's going to be the norm for him he'll be much better than last year.