PDA

View Full Version : Mayo: Buxton More Than Just Talented

John Bonnes
03-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com raves about Byron Buxton, emphasizing that he has a work ethic equal to his talent.

"My dad gets up at 1," Buxton said. "My alarm goes off and I think, 'My dad gets up at 1, so I shouldn't complain.' That keeps me motivated to do better."

This isn't talk from some gritty overachiever. Buxton is a grinder hiding in a tooled-up body. He's a premium athlete who can do everything on the baseball field, the type it could be a mistake to put a ceiling on. But as gifted as Buxton is between the lines, it's what's between his ears in terms of humility and work ethic that might stand out even more.

The Twins certainly seem to have him on the fast track. It doesn't sound like E-Town will get him this year. He's going to be in Cedar Rapids for you road-trippers out there....

Twins outfield prospect Byron Buxton is working hard in his first spring camp | twinsbaseball.com: News (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130312&content_id=42645722&vkey=news_min&c_id=min)

jokin
03-12-2013, 11:52 PM
Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com raves about Byron Buxton, emphasizing that he has a work ethic equal to his talent.

The Twins certainly seem to have him on the fast track. It doesn't sound like E-Town will get him this year. He's going to be in Cedar Rapids for you road-trippers out there....

Twins outfield prospect Byron Buxton is working hard in his first spring camp | twinsbaseball.com: News (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130312&content_id=42645722&vkey=news_min&c_id=min)

This is great news and a break from the recent past. This certainly lays out a scenario for AA in 2014 and a chance to make his MLB debut sometime in 2015 at age 21, not 16.

I now predict that the ridiculously-talented Kernels will break all previous attendance records in 2013.

Calling Jim Crikket for verification on that attendance stat! And this stat, how well does the ball carry in CR and what's the HR record?

glunn
03-13-2013, 12:11 AM
What if the Twins eventually have Buxton in CF, Hicks in RF and Arcia in LF? If all three pan out, this could be one of the greatest outfields of all time.

Shane Wahl
03-13-2013, 12:18 AM
What if the Twins eventually have Buxton in CF, Hicks in RF and Arcia in LF? If all three pan out, this could be one of the greatest outfields of all time.

More likely is Kepler-Buxton-Hicks with Arcia DHing. Now, IF Sano could only stay at 3B, the Twins could have Vargas at 1B. Those 6 are MONSTERS. If Sano has to move to 1B, then someone will be traded. Unless the Twins want to really have a damn deep roster in 2016 and on. That would be ideal.

Siehbiscuit
03-13-2013, 09:39 AM
More likely is Kepler-Buxton-Hicks with Arcia DHing. Now, IF Sano could only stay at 3B, the Twins could have Vargas at 1B. Those 6 are MONSTERS. If Sano has to move to 1B, then someone will be traded. Unless the Twins want to really have a damn deep roster in 2016 and on. That would be ideal.

...and you forget Rosario at 2B! If only a shortstop could emerge?! Polanco, Santana or someone/anyone (2014 draft pick, not 4th overall though) needs to have a breakout year and bust into the team's top 10 prospect list.

James
03-13-2013, 09:52 AM
There are a few prospects worth mentioning that, if the panned out, could really make for an exciting team. But, I am really excited to see some of the guys make it.

I plan to try to make a trip down to Cedar Rapids some time this summer. It's going to be great to see an outfield of Kepler-Buxton- Walker. That will be fun to watch. Hopefully, I'll get to see Berrios pitch too.

2wins87
03-13-2013, 10:21 AM
More likely is Kepler-Buxton-Hicks with Arcia DHing.

Agreed. That could be about as good a defensive outfield as you can imagine.

Badsmerf
03-13-2013, 12:02 PM
Good for Buxton. Twins being aggressive with him early is interesting. Hopefully he will step up to the challenge.

Craig in MN
03-13-2013, 12:37 PM
They could always trade some of those guys for some pitching. I only see about 3 no-question #1 starters in the minors...we'll need a couple more. Otherwise, I guess we'll have to be satisfied with All Stars at 8 of 9 positions.

Brock Beauchamp
03-13-2013, 01:11 PM
I have not heard a single thing about Buxton that portrays him as anything less than stellar... It doesn't matter if the person is talking about his talent, baseball mind, work ethic, or general "human being-ness".

Hopefully it's not a lot of hot air.

Jim Crikket
03-13-2013, 03:53 PM
This is great news and a break from the recent past. This certainly lays out a scenario for AA in 2014 and a chance to make his MLB debut sometime in 2015 at age 21, not 16.

I now predict that the ridiculously-talented Kernels will break all previous attendance records in 2013.

Calling Jim Crikket for verification on that attendance stat! And this stat, how well does the ball carry in CR and what's the HR record?

According to this from MiLB.com (http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130225&content_id=41998650&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb), the Cedar Rapids ballpark has been the second most hitter friendly ballpark in the MWL since 2010. Then again, the pitching talent that the Angels have been sending to CR the past three years has not been terribly good, so that may be as much of a factor as the ballpark itself.

Jeff Jones hit 42 home runs for the Cedar Rapids Reds in 1982. Without looking it up, I couldn't say if that's the club record, but it's the most I can recall by a long shot. Jones was crazy that summer. (A cautionary tale, perhaps... he was the Reds' big league 1B on opening day 1983, struggled, got sent down and was pretty much never heard from again.)

It might be tough to break all attendance records. I'm pretty sure those were set the first season the new ballpark opened 10-11 years ago. Attendance at Class A games is usually more of a factor of good weather during homestands and good promotions by the club. The GM and staff in CR are excellent, though, so with a very talented farm club of a MLB team with a local fan base, they could take a run at the record.

I spoke with the GM on Friday and was told they had already sold 10% more season tickets than they sold in 2012. And I have no doubt that they'll sell a lot more once it stops friggin snowing around here! (I haven't bought mine yet, for example, and I know I'm not the only person planning on doing so that hasn't yet.)

Single game tickets go on sale March 18 (unless you show up for "Spring Fling" at the ballpark this Saturday, where you can buy individual tickets before they go on sale to the public the 18th).

Seth Stohs
03-13-2013, 07:36 PM
Good for Buxton. Twins being aggressive with him early is interesting. Hopefully he will step up to the challenge.

Having him start in Cedar Rapids would be pretty normal for a top pick. These HS draft picks went to the MWL their first full season after being drafted: Mauer, Span, Moses, Benson, Parmelee, Plouffe, Swarzak, Waldrop, Rainville. List goes on and on.

Jim Crikket
03-14-2013, 09:02 AM
I'm as anxious as anyone to see what Buxton can do in Cedar Rapids, but I am concerned that expectations may be getting a little out of control. If he doesn't come out of the chute hitting .400/.450/.600 right away, we're going to see nothing but "what's wrong with Buxton?" stuff. A lot of players struggle in their first taste of full-season Class A ball, especially players who haven't spent much time trying to play baseball in Iowa and Wisconsin in April.

Brock Beauchamp
03-14-2013, 09:13 AM
I'm as anxious as anyone to see what Buxton can do in Cedar Rapids, but I am concerned that expectations may be getting a little out of control. If he doesn't come out of the chute hitting .400/.450/.600 right away, we're going to see nothing but "what's wrong with Buxton?" stuff. A lot of players struggle in their first taste of full-season Class A ball, especially players who haven't spent much time trying to play baseball in Iowa and Wisconsin in April.

I don't worry about that too much. The Twins won't be too concerned if he struggles and that's the opinion that really counts. There isn't enough minor league coverage for the kid to be put under too much pressure out of the gate, I think.

Sure, message boards like this one might go a bit off the rails (some people just expect too much from these kids), but who really cares about our opinions anyway?

Badsmerf
03-14-2013, 09:31 AM
I'd be more concerned if he's hitting .215/.255/.330 after a month.... and I have anointed myself the voice of reason starting now.

Jim Crikket
03-14-2013, 09:44 AM
I spoke with the GM on Friday and was told they had already sold 10% more season tickets than they sold in 2012. And I have no doubt that they'll sell a lot more once it stops friggin snowing around here! (I haven't bought mine yet, for example, and I know I'm not the only person planning on doing so that hasn't yet.)

make that 15% above last year's season ticket sales. Click the link for a story from MetroSportsReport.com in which the GM talks about expectations for attendance.

Kernels see 15% increase in ticket sales (http://metrosportsreport.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11638:kernels-see-15-increase-in-ticket-sales&catid=234:kernels-home&Itemid=429)

Brock Beauchamp
03-14-2013, 09:45 AM
Uh oh, now Jim is talking to himself.

Jim Crikket
03-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Uh oh, now Jim is talking to himself.

hardly a new thing. Problem is, even I don't listen to me.