PDA

View Full Version : Article: Spring Training Organizational Depth Chart: The Catchers

Seth Stohs
03-10-2013, 10:04 PM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=1441-Spring-Training-Organizational-Depth-Chart-The-Catchers

Kwak
03-10-2013, 10:45 PM
27 games is far more than "rarely". I prefer that Mauer's starts are far more heavily weighted as catcher than DH. Starting Mauer at C for 120 games would be great. If he needs rest, let him sit. Willingham can be the alternate DH and one of the young OFers can takeover LF. This would allow some rest for both Mauer and Willingham plus meaningful playing time for an up-and-coming OF.

Seth Stohs
03-11-2013, 09:20 AM
If he catches 120 games, the risk for injury increases significantly, and he will play a lot less and hit a lot less overall. They have him signed for like 6 more years, and I'd like to see him be in the lineup as much as possible over that time frame.

roger
03-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Beyond that, there is not much in terms of upside catching prospects in the Twins system.

Seth, I am surprised that you didn't include Pinto in this group of prospects. His great year in 2012 got the Twins attention and a spot on the 40-man roster. Was it an oversight? Or is there something you really don't like about him?

fairweather
03-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Mauer shouldn't catch at all. I know that he want's to. I know that's what they him signed to be. I just think if they want him to still be productive offensively in the later years of his contract it behooves them to keep his knees healthy. He's over 30 and guaranteed 23 million a year for another 5 years. Do you really want him to catch a 120 games?

Gene Larkin Fan Club
03-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Is Danny Rams strictly a left fielder from now on? It would be nice to had a little pop coming up at the position...

Seth Stohs
03-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Is Danny Rams strictly a left fielder from now on? It would be nice to had a little pop coming up at the position...

Yes, he is an outfielder now.

Seth Stohs
03-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Mauer shouldn't catch at all. I know that he want's to. I know that's what they him signed to be. I just think if they want him to still be productive offensively in the later years of his contract it behooves them to keep his knees healthy. He's over 30 and guaranteed 23 million a year for another 5 years. Do you really want him to catch a 120 games?

I definitely don't. I think the mix they did last year was just perfect. Maybe get him as many as 90, but no more than that!

Thrylos
03-12-2013, 05:20 AM
TOP PROSPECTS
1.) Chris Herrmann, 2.) Dan Rohlfing, 3.) Jorge Fernandez,

no Pinto or Koch? I think that at least Pinto should be there on the top 3 and if Rohlfing did not have the spring he is having, I think Koch as well.
Fernandez will be interesting to watch. He is a tall skinny kid that would need to fill in at some point and his first professional numbers were just not there.. (.571 OPS in Rookie ball)