PDA

View Full Version : Punto and Butera will Team Italia over Mexico!

notoriousgod71
03-07-2013, 06:04 PM
That was a great game. The WBC isn't everyone's cup of tea but I absolutely love it. Unlike spring training games there is an actual urgency to win games and most of the non-US countries go all out to win.

notoriousgod71
03-07-2013, 06:11 PM
That was a great game. The WBC isn't everyone's cup of tea but I absolutely love it. Unlike spring training games there is an actual urgency to win games and most of the non-US countries go all out to win.

I should clarify. I think the US tries their best to win during the games, but I don't think the commitment to be on the team is as high as other nations.

Highabove
03-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Butera should be fighting to keep his job back in Twins Training Camp.
Scholarships do have their advantages.

Thrylos
03-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Butera should be fighting to keep his job back in Twins Training Camp.
Scholarships do have their advantages.

Methinks that playing with team Italy made Gardy upset, so he started saying those things about not necessarily carrying 3 Cs. We shall see...

OP: Colabello too.

Seth Stohs
03-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Methinks that playing with team Italy made Gardy upset, so he started saying those things about not necessarily carrying 3 Cs. We shall see...

OP: Colabello too.

Not even a little bit. Gardy has always been supportive. Colabello told Gardy that if he wanted him to stay in camp, he would, but Gardy told him to enjoy the WBC, take it in, opportunity doesn't come around every year. They know what they have in Butera, and good for him on the Home Run today off of Aceves!, so it doesn't affect his status either way. They would be seeing if Escobar could be an emergency catcher regardless.

JB_Iowa
03-07-2013, 07:17 PM
It was a fun game to watch -- nothing like a little late inning drama to whet the appetite for regular season ball.

Pius Jefferson
03-08-2013, 01:43 AM
I should clarify. I think the US tries their best to win during the games, but I don't think the commitment to be on the team is as high as other nations.

It's unfortunate because I think most guys would like to play for their country.

The Team USA lineup is out and Joe Mauer is hitting clean-up?

Gernzy
03-08-2013, 08:30 AM
That game was insane! Let's hope the rest of the WBC is the same.
I'm looking forward to our first game againist Mexico tonight. Mexico is going to be hungery after that loss yesterday.

JB_Iowa
03-08-2013, 02:14 PM
And Colabello with a 3 run HR today.

USAFChief
03-08-2013, 03:08 PM
I love the idea of the WBC, but hate the way it's set up, although there really isn't a good time to hold it. That being said, amazing game, and good for LNP, Butera and the rest of the "Italian" team.

adjacent
03-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Hey, Italy is beating Canada. Great chance to make a splash and go to the next round. Now it is getting interesting.

USAFChief
03-08-2013, 04:10 PM
Son of Sal with a two run double in the 7th, capping a rally started by Colabello's single. Italia up 9-4.

JB_Iowa
03-08-2013, 04:11 PM
Sweet Drew hopes the WBC never ends.

notoriousgod71
03-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Team Italia ten run rules Canada!

Pius Jefferson
03-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Is anyone a little annoyed that U.S. born Adrian Gonzalez is playing for Team Mexico?

Ultima Ratio
03-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Is anyone a little annoyed that U.S. born Adrian Gonzalez is playing for Team Mexico?

Only if he was asked to play for USA and declined. Then yes, that's unpatriotic at the very least.

Thrylos
03-08-2013, 09:53 PM

About as much as US born Drew Butera, Chris Colabello or Nick what's his name are playing for Team Italy.

(interesting aside - and this is not a political comment - : the qualification on whether you can play for a team is exactly the same as the qualification for being a minority in the US: if your great grandparent is/was a citizen of a particular place, you are it)

Ultima Ratio
03-08-2013, 10:00 PM
About as much as US born Drew Butera, Chris Colabello or Nick what's his name are playing for Team Italy.

(interesting aside - and this is not a political comment - : the qualification on whether you can play for a team is exactly the same as the qualification for being a minority in the US: if your great grandparent is/was a citizen of a particular place, you are it)

Did Butera, Colabello and everyone else decline to play for the US and only then go on to play for another country? No. Perhaps Gonzo didn't either, just because he's been playing for Mexico since 2006... and if so, it's not so egregious.

Badsmerf
03-08-2013, 10:36 PM
I don't mind it if they are direct descendants of a country. When it is their great grandparent that is the only link... I think that is pushing it a little.

Pius Jefferson
03-08-2013, 10:55 PM
When the country is usually an also ran like Italy the great great great grandfather connection doesn't bother me.

I believe Team USA players are suppose to volunteer to be on the team. Mauer mentioned talking to Joe Torre last year about playing. Other than Prince Fielder there's a pretty strong argument that Adrian Gonzalez was the best US born first basemen available. So it wouldn't surprise me if he was indirectly asked at some point.

Shane Wahl
03-09-2013, 01:26 AM
Colabello the dominant Italian so far.

glunn
03-09-2013, 02:00 AM
Colabello the dominant Italian so far.

Looking at the highlights, it seems like he has a lot of potential. I am rooting for him to get a chance in the majors at some point this year.

Seth Stohs
03-09-2013, 07:31 AM
Wouldn't it be funny if Mauer, Morneau and Perkins are back in Twins camp before Butera and Colabello. As a Twins fans, I would be quite happy!

kab21
03-09-2013, 07:41 AM
I find it a little silly at how loose the rules for the WBC are regarding country eligibility but I don't have a problem with AGon playing for Mexico.

His parents were born in Mexico and he grew up on the border and is still very connected to his Mexican heritage. He has also played on the previous 2 Mexican WBC teams with his brother and his father was on the Mexican national team once. As long as he's not switching sides every WBC then it's okay.

The Asian WBC games have been outstanding this year. Some upsets and some close games.

notoriousgod71
03-09-2013, 08:08 AM
And a listless performance from the U.S. Also facing elimination one day into this.

notoriousgod71
03-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Mexico and Canada brawl after Tosoni gets drilled one pitch after warnings were issued. Actual punches thrown.

glunn
03-09-2013, 05:50 PM
And Deduno looks good in a WBC start -- see here (http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130309&content_id=42506290)for highlights.

Brock Beauchamp
03-09-2013, 05:55 PM

It wouldn't surprise me at all if a few of these guys were encouraged to play for non-US teams. The WBC is about getting other countries excited about baseball, not US citizens.

notoriousgod71
03-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Colabello hits another BOMB! Off Volquez. 4-0 Team Italia in the first!

JB_Iowa
03-12-2013, 11:24 AM
Gotta love it. Italia is a fun team to watch.

Shane Wahl
03-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Colabello with 7 rbi in the Classic so far. Batting .462 with 2 homers. Could be the difference in this game.

JB_Iowa
03-14-2013, 07:04 AM
Wish Team Italia could have bought a reliever or two.

The late innings of both of their last 2 game were difficult to watch (not to mention some fielding plays in which they looked like stooges).

Am assuming that Colabello gets to go to Twins camp now (major league side)? Will be interesting to watch.

notoriousgod71
03-15-2013, 08:34 PM
The stupid U.S. roster construction and awful game managing from Torre has once again cost the U.S.