PDA

View Full Version : Berardino: Boggs Looking To Replace Thome

John Bonnes
03-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Mike Berardino of the Pi Press writes a profile of Brandon Boggs (http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22725346/minnesota-twins-brandon-boggs-trying-show-hes-got?source=rss), which is very complementary. A few things struck me, any of which would make a find topic for this thread. Take it whichever way you want gang....

1. We've talked a lot about whether the Twins should/would offer Thome the major league deal he's looking for. I hadn't thought about Thome accepting a minor-league deal.

As Jim Thome sits at home and tries to decide whether to accept a return engagement with the Twins, Brandon Boggs is doing all he can to offer a viable alternative in the search for bench "thump."

The reason Thome wouldn't come to the Twins on a minor league deal: if he's going to accept a minor league deal, why not accept it from a team with a chance for a ring? But the reason he would is because having the manager publicly lobbying for you is almost as good as a major league deal. Does anyone really think he's NOT going to make the Opening Day roster if he has a minor league deal? And four months of playing well positions him for another trade to a contender.

2. You can't help but like Boggs after this profile. I wondered what a more objective take would be, so I did a little research. Here are the Cliff notes:

He was drafted out of Georgia Tech and pushed through the minors without much success, getting 223 AB with the Rangers in 2008 as a 25-year-old.
He hasn't show THAT much power in the minors, or at least not that much home run power. He has 83 HR in 2629 AB. He's cleared 20 HR in a year once, and that was in A and AA as a 24-year-old
The biggest knock against him has been that he strikes out a lot, including 120 times last year. He also walks a lot - 62 times last year. His minor league OBP is .374 and is .381 in AAA, which is outstanding. But his BA is .262 and .268 respectively.
They talk in the story about his patience and looking for his pitch. He seems like a "three true outcomes" type of hitter. It might very well be that in the majors, pitcher can hit their spots better, not giving him as good a chance to walk or knock the ball silly. But he's only had 44 plate appearances since that stint with Texas in 2008. I suppose the 30-year-old may have learned a thing or two since then and just needs a chance to show it.

I'm certainly not as optimistic about Boggs as I was before the research. But he's an interesting guy to watch, both at Rochester and in the majors. In the story, they compare him to Matt Stairs. That is probably optimistic, but he's an interesting "replacement level player" to gamble on.

johnnydakota
03-06-2013, 07:52 PM
First and foremost , a big Jim Thome fan , but as a bench player for the twins, there just isint enough room for him, Escobar and Butrea, so unless Gardy and Ryan completly change directions of the Titanic and sign a 42 year old 70 at bat player , while demoting a pair of scrubs who are favorites of both the manager and general manager it is highly unlikely

LaBombo
03-06-2013, 08:44 PM
Beyond parody, yet part of what makes ST interesting for a non-contender like the Twins. Almost nothing is too crazy to contemplate, not even a '30 year old non-prospect vs. 106 year old retired HOF'er' cage match for a roster spot that may or may not exist. Can Hrbek referee, please?

On the other hand, there's maybe a glimmer of hope for the Twins in this. Their interest in Boggs and his lone possible skill of getting on base may represent a quantum leap ahead 20 years in talent valuation philosophy, all the way into the late 1980's. Suck it, baby steps! Next stop, the 21st century!

cmathewson
03-06-2013, 09:35 PM
It beats having the below replacement level Butera as the fourth bench player. WIlkin Ramirez might still beat Boggs out, but they can sure do worse off the bench. All Gardy wants is a better hitter than Florimon for pinch hitting late in games. That, BTW, is why they'll keep both Carroll and Escobar.

Seth Stohs
03-06-2013, 09:41 PM
My assumption when the Twins signed Boggs in December was that if Mastroianni won the starting CF job, Boggs would be the 4th OF. I'd still say that. I think I had him at something like 28% when I made my roster projections about 2 weeks ago.

Big strikeouts, that's the biggest thing.

USAFChief
03-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Beyond parody, yet part of what makes ST interesting for a non-contender like the Twins. Almost nothing is too crazy to contemplate, not even a '30 year old non-prospect vs. 106 year old retired HOF'er' cage match for a roster spot that may or may not exist. Can Hrbek referee, please?

Post of the Year nominee. Well play, friend. Veerrry well played.

nicksaviking
03-06-2013, 11:02 PM
Yawn, I thought we were contemplating Wade for a second. There's your left-handed 3B complement for Plouffe.

righty8383
03-06-2013, 11:15 PM
He hits for a little power, but not enough to make up for his high strike out rate. He is a minor leaguer, nothing more.

Top Gun
03-06-2013, 11:45 PM
Boggs is better than Thomas, give him a final chance until Hicks, Benson & Arcia are ready.

jokin
03-06-2013, 11:54 PM

On the other hand, there's maybe a glimmer of hope for the Twins in this. Their interest in Boggs and his lone possible skill of getting on base may represent a quantum leap ahead 20 years in talent valuation philosophy, all the way into the late 1980's. Suck it, baby steps! Next stop, the 21st century!

I don't hit the like button too often, but you are on posting fire:shoot::s-instagib: my friend.

Shane Wahl
03-07-2013, 12:34 AM
I prefer Ramirez given the need for a RH bat. But both are better than Clete Thomas, who is an embarrassment.