PDA

View Full Version : Berardino: JO Berrios has some swagger

John Bonnes
03-06-2013, 06:50 PM
I thought this was an interesting take on Berrios from new Pi Press beat reporter Mike Berardino. And I love the sports analogy that Terry Ryan uses.

Some might say Berrios carries himself with a bit of swagger, but Ryan doesn't see it that way.

"It's under control," he said. "He didn't have that type of swagger over here. He's very reserved, doesn't speak English. It's not like this guy is out over his skis on any of this. He's a good kid. I think he knows what this is all about. He's fitting right in, wants to do well and certainly wants to do well in front of us. He knows people are watching him."

It would be nice to see a Twins pitcher who had the ability to have a little swagger....

Twins prospects Eddie Rosario, J.O. Berrios lead Puerto Rico over Twins (w/ video) - TwinCities.com (http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22732126/twins-prospects-eddie-rosario-j-o-berrios-lead)

TheLeviathan
03-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Please god don't make them over-react to this. None of us want buttholes on the team, but nothing wrong with confidence.

PseudoSABR
03-06-2013, 07:30 PM
"Some might say..." ? Who says that and why? I'd like to know the context of Berrios' supposed swagger.

Seth Stohs
03-06-2013, 07:33 PM
The best players generally have a good level of swagger about them. definitely not a bad thing... but the ski analogy is great. I like that. Just not getting too far ahead of himself.

Halsey Hall
03-06-2013, 08:53 PM
The kid looks like he'a about 15 years old. I didn't realize he couldn't speak any English, but did have him autograph a ball for me, as did a few others. He was smiling and very cordial. Can't help but pull for the kid.

Edit to add: The most swagger I've seen down here was from The Real Deal and Valencia. Good thing they don't ski.

mnfanforlife
03-06-2013, 09:05 PM
I am super optimistic about these two being able to move multiple levels in 2013. We will see.

Twins Twerp
03-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Who gets dropped from 40 man roster for him JO?

Madre Dos
03-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Jose speaks English. He's a little shy and reserved about speaking English. He doesn't like making mistakes either on the mound or when he's using his second language.

USAFChief
03-06-2013, 10:41 PM
If Gardy hangs on, he'll knock that swagger off him, whether he needs it or not.

jimbo92107
03-06-2013, 10:49 PM
I thought this was an interesting take on Berrios from new Pi Press beat reporter Mike Berardino. And I love the sports analogy that Terry Ryan uses.

It would be nice to see a Twins pitcher who had the ability to have a little swagger....

Twins prospects Eddie Rosario, J.O. Berrios lead Puerto Rico over Twins (w/ video) - TwinCities.com (http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22732126/twins-prospects-eddie-rosario-j-o-berrios-lead)

If you get over your skis with swagger, you could tumble into the gulley of false expectations and land on a tuckus of embarrassment. Pretty soon you'll be limping around with hang-dog case of mopies and get shipped off to Boston, which isn't a metaphor - ask Danny Valencia.

On the other hand, if Berrios is a good pitcher, what's he supposed to do, apologize?

nicksaviking
03-06-2013, 10:57 PM

Here's hoping his "swagger" level is of a different variety than Garza's, Lohse's, Young's and Valencia's as the powers that be have already determined that abundant "swagger" does not mesh with the preferred Minnesota conservative demeanor.

B Richard
03-07-2013, 12:38 AM
Swagger itself is not to be discouraged- you just have to understand your game and be able to back it up. Guys like Valencia couldn't quite handle that

Shane Wahl
03-07-2013, 12:43 AM
Berrios in 2015 is not out of the question.

jokin
03-07-2013, 02:06 AM
"It's under control," he said. "He didn't have that type of swagger over here.

1)He's very reserved, doesn't speak English.

2)It's not like this guy is out over his skis on any of this.

He's a good kid. I think he knows what this is all about. He's fitting right in, wants to do well and certainly wants to do well in front of us. He knows people are watching him."

This is how communication breaks down.

Holy Clash of Cultures! Ryan might want some tips on analogy-references with Carribean prospects or they won't have a clue what he's trying to impart to them.

What was it he said about Sano, and how he was fitting in? "That Miguel, he's sure one cool customer at the plate, and for that matter, despite his size, he never looks like a football player over at Third Base."

It might also explain why Casilla could never quite fit in and get over the hump, he never could translate TR's American metaphorical descriptions for him properly. Given the Latin-American culture and their demonstrated hangups on homosexuality, during Casilla's developing years as a prospect, Ryan might have said something like, " We really like him a lot, especially being a switch hitter, in the middle infield I can see him going both ways...."

John Bonnes
03-07-2013, 07:28 AM
If you get over your skis with swagger, you could tumble into the gulley of false expectations and land on a tuckus of embarrassment.

Awesome.

LimestoneBaggy
03-07-2013, 08:20 AM

Holy Clash of Cultures! Ryan might want some tips on analogy-references with Carribean prospects or they won't have a clue what he's trying to impart to them.

What was it he said about Sano, and how he was fitting in? "That Miguel, he's sure one cool customer at the plate, and for that matter, despite his size, he never looks like a football player over at Third Base."

It might also explain why Casilla could never quite fit in and get over the hump, he never could translate TR's American metaphorical descriptions for him properly. Given the Latin-American culture and their demonstrated hangups on homosexuality, during Casilla's developing years as a prospect, Ryan might have said something like, " We really like him a lot, especially being a switch hitter, in the middle infield I can see him going both ways...."

At the risk of being inflamatory, is this satire/sarcasim, or just plain bad taste? If your serious, then I completely understand...as a North Dakotan, we don't understand half of the Minnesota dialect. That's probably why not many of us have made it to the bigs yet. I probably should ask Andy Leer. As they say in football....Come on, man.:confused:

twinsnorth49
03-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Swagger lives in two neighbourhoods, the arrogance neighbourhood and the confidence neighbourhood. I think all top athletes possess swagger, they know they're good. Guys like Willingham, Perkins, Morneau, they have swagger, they have a quiet, I'm going to kick your ass vibe about them, they're not demonstrative about it, they live in the confidence neighbourhood and fans love them. The Danny Valencia, Matt Garza and Alex Rodriguez types usually display their swagger in a self-centered, look how good I am fashion (not that Valencia had much to swag about), they live in the arrogance neighbourhood and didn't get enough attention from their fathers,fans tpically loathe them.

It's ok to have swagger, let's hope Berrios just displays his the way most of us appreciate.

Brock Beauchamp
03-07-2013, 09:15 AM

You're being sarcastic, right?

God, I hope you're being sarcastic.

These guys aren't starring in Oscar Wilde productions. They're playing baseball. I'm sure that at some point, they pick up on the "buzzwords" of American baseball.

nicksaviking
03-07-2013, 09:27 AM

These guys aren't starring in Oscar Wilde productions. They're playing baseball. I'm sure that at some point, they pick up on the "buzzwords" of American baseball.

Ha, I'm not sure that "out over his skis" has ever been used to discribe a baseball player. Perhaps Berrios will assume he's talking about being pulled behind a speed boat.

Brock Beauchamp
03-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Ha, I'm not sure that "out over his skis" has ever been used to discribe a baseball player. Perhaps Berrios will assume he's talking about being pulled behind a speed boat.

Either way, I'm sure someone along the way will explain to young JO that "over the skis" is not an American euphemism for "meet me in the bath house at eight o'clock", which apparently happend to Casilla, warping his mind for all eternity.

gunnarthor
03-07-2013, 09:58 AM
I'm not sure what the fuss over Ryan's ski comment was. He told it to a reporter. I'm sure he speaks to Beradino differently than he speaks to Reusse. And I'm sure he speaks to his players and managers differently too. Just know your audience when speaking. No big deal.

TwinsFanInPhilly
03-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Usually I hate it when ignored posters are quoted - it defeats the purpose of the ignore feature - but this one made me laugh (at the poster - not with him)

03-07-2013, 10:45 AM
If Gardy hangs on, he'll knock that swagger off him, whether he needs it or not.

Wow! Do just hate Gardy or everything in life! You have a negative attitude in every thread I've read. I don't understand why you follow them?

Brock Beauchamp
03-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Wow! Do just hate Gardy or everything in life! You have a negative attitude in every thread I've read. I don't understand why you follow them?

It's Chief. After awhile, screaming at kids to get off his lawn becomes old hat and he has to find other interests to pursue.

Right, Chief? :D

USAFChief
03-07-2013, 11:02 AM
It's Chief. After awhile, screaming at kids to get off his lawn becomes old hat...
:D Wrong.

ScottyBroco
03-07-2013, 07:20 PM
I think danny Valencia had some swagger too. Look how that worked out for him. And John I agree that is a great anology

jokin
03-07-2013, 11:11 PM

You, of all folks, what with your BYTO background, should know this was satire. It simply struck me as quite odd that Ryan would use a snow skiing analogy for a kid that most likely has never seen snow. And oh yeah, remember my moniker...?

jokin
03-07-2013, 11:24 PM
At the risk of being inflamatory, is this satire/sarcasim, or just plain bad taste? If your serious, then I completely understand...as a North Dakotan, we don't understand half of the Minnesota dialect. That's probably why not many of us have made it to the bigs yet. I probably should ask Andy Leer. As they say in football....Come on, man.:confused:

See there you go again, Sano and Berrios only know what they say in futbol, and "come on, man" won't necessarily translate the way you intended. Ryan got caught speaking Snowbirdese about, and inevitably, to, a kid who's never even seen snow and has not a clue about how his swagger isn't getting too far out over his ski tips yet.

jokin
03-07-2013, 11:26 PM
Usually I hate it when ignored posters are quoted - it defeats the purpose of the ignore feature - but this one made me laugh (at the poster - not with him)

So good to hear your day was made a little brighter at my expense...

jokin
03-07-2013, 11:28 PM

I guess I also missed the day that "out over his skis" became a baseball buzzword...

mnfanforlife
03-08-2013, 12:18 AM
Wow. We have some really negative people on this site. Afraid to make mistakes. Afraid of embarrassment as a result of baseball predicitions?????? Anyway...I am not afraid to make mistakes, in baseball predictions or any part of my life. It feels "awesome," and I wish everyone could experience the same feeling. Go ahead "SABR's" or whatever you want to be called...and drop some extensive research on us so that we do not expect too much out of any given baseball prospect. God forbid we should ever be wrong about a baseball prospect and have minor league egg all over our face.

joke

Highabove
03-08-2013, 01:25 AM
See there you go again, Sano and Berrios only know what they say in futbol, and "come on, man" won't necessarily translate the way you intended. Ryan got caught speaking Snowbirdese about, and inevitably, to, a kid who's never even seen snow and has not a clue about how his swagger isn't getting too far out over his ski tips yet.

(Just a little off Baseball) I love how folks from the South say Futballll!!
Best example is link below

Lou Holtz's USC Test - 125 Years of Notre Dame Football - Moment #087 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8ADR_yKS30)

John Bonnes
03-08-2013, 08:04 AM
Wow. We have some really negative people on this site. Afraid to make mistakes. Afraid of embarrassment as a result of baseball predicitions?????? Anyway...I am not afraid to make mistakes, in baseball predictions or any part of my life. It feels "awesome," and I wish everyone could experience the same feeling. Go ahead "SABR's" or whatever you want to be called...and drop some extensive research on us so that we do not expect too much out of any given baseball prospect. God forbid we should ever be wrong about a baseball prospect and have minor league egg all over our face.

joke

I don't think those people who are careful about their evaluations of prospects have some character flaw that indicates they're afraid of being wrong. I see people respecting your optimistic views of Twins minor leaguers. I think it's fair to expect that you to respect others less optimistic evaluations without calling into question their personal happiness.

SurroundedByTigers
03-08-2013, 08:30 AM
Let's enjoy the fact this kid gets people out, and looks like he'll fit into the starting rotation some day, hopefully soon. Let's not try to read tooooooo much into quotes from beat writers from sources. The kid is confident, competent and shows no signs of arrogance. That's enough for now.

twinsnorth49
03-08-2013, 08:33 AM

joke
You're quite the pop psychologist, don't quit your day job.

LimestoneBaggy
03-08-2013, 09:11 AM

I apologize. I should have said "Vamos, hombre!" :th_alc:

mike wants wins
03-08-2013, 10:31 AM
I like swagger, great album. Now, I don't think the band is from Puerto Rico, but still, great album.