PDA

View Full Version : Berardino: Diamond Slated for March 18 Debut

East Coast Twin
03-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Whether a maximum of three spring starts leaves Diamond enough time to open the year in the Twins' rotation is an open question, the pitcher admitted.

"At that point, it's just trying to get my pitch count up," he said. "Honestly, your guess is as good as mine. It's going to be tight. At this point, I don't think we've ruled anything out yet, but it's going to be down to the wire."

Minnesota Twins: Scott Diamond slated for March 18 spring debut - TwinCities.com (http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22731095/minnesota-twins-scott-diamond-slated-march-18-spring)

Halsey Hall
03-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Given that he's not needed til April 10th, there's a little over 3 weeks. It'll be close.

matthew0211
03-06-2013, 04:09 PM
I have seen a few references to the Twins not needing a fifth starter until April 10. I believe that is incorrect; they would need a fifth pitcher on April 7 at Baltimore to keep the remaining staff on an every-fifth-day schedule. They wouldn't need the fifth starter again until the 16th due to the April 11 off day.

Of course, one rain-out could make this all moot. (And I wish post this would format better.)

Apr 1 Det #1
Apr 2 Off
Apr 3 Det #2
Apr 4 Det #3
Apr 5 at Bal #4
Apr 6 at Bal #1 (four days rest)
Apr 7 at Bal #5
Apr 8 at KC #2 (four days rest)
Apr 9 at KC #3 " " "
Apr 10 at KC #4 " " "
Apr 11 Off
Apr 12 NYM #1
Apr 13 NYM #2 (four days rest)
Apr 14 NYM #3 " " "
Apr 15 LAA #4 " " "
Apr 16 LAA #5
Apr 17 LAA #1
Apr 18 Off

East Coast Twin
03-06-2013, 04:14 PM
I have seen a few references to the Twins not needing a fifth starter until April 10. I believe that is incorrect; they would need a fifth pitcher on April 7 at Baltimore to keep the remaining staff on an every-fifth-day schedule. They wouldn't need the fifth starter again until the 16th due to the April 11 off day.

The article also mentioned 7 April as the first time they would need a fifth starter.

East Coast Twin
03-12-2013, 05:46 AM
[Diamond] could be ready to rejoin Minnesota's rotation by about April 10 if all continues to go as planned.

Berardino: Diamond's First Live Bullpen Session Goes Well (http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130311&content_id=42619160&notebook_id=42619908&vkey=notebook_min&c_id=min)

Nick Nelson
03-12-2013, 12:00 PM

Of course, one rain-out could make this all moot. (And I wish post this would format better.)

When faced with this situation last year, didn't they use Anthony Swarzak as a spot starter?

Of course, that won't be an option this time since Swarzak is facing the same problem as Diamond.

70charger
03-13-2013, 12:02 PM
Duensing again? I'd love the rotation to bullpen yo-yo to end, but who else would spot start? There's precedent there.

CDog
03-13-2013, 02:00 PM
Duensing again? I'd love the rotation to bullpen yo-yo to end, but who else would spot start? There's precedent there.

Since there are like 52 guys (approximated) that came up and started last year, I assume you mean someone who is already on the 25-man and in the bullpen that can step in for a start here and there without a roster move? Without Swarzak, it does look like they are short of "that guy." Wasn't the Rule 5 pick a starter not that long ago? Not to go too tangent, but I haven't been seeing much of him lately, so I don't know if he's even likely to make the team. I've read people here saying that DeVries would be moved to the bullpen and kept on the 25-man roster, but I don't know that I've seen that from any "official" source or media.

East Coast Twin
03-17-2013, 04:07 PM
Possible move to the DL for Diamond this week.

The cutoff date for retroactively placing players on the disabled list to start the regular season is March 24. That would leave open the possibility that Diamond could face big-league hitters on Saturday, March 23, in Port Charlotte and still be eligible to come off the DL a week into the season.

Minnesota Twins' Scott Diamond back -- in Class A - TwinCities.com (http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22810977/minnesota-twins-scott-diamond-back-class)