PDA

View Full Version : Harden and Perez take a step back

Thrylos
03-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Ok. Just for my sanity because I did not see the Perez thing reported before this (http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130303&content_id=42220728&notebook_id=42223052&vkey=notebook_min&c_id=min)by Rhett Bollinger, which practically says that they are both off bullpen sessions and just allowed to play catch. (Knew that about Harden, just not about Perez)

Which means at least EST for both and that "late March" alleged availability for Harden is more like May. Same with Perez. It is what it is.

On other former Twins' news looks like both Baker and Garza will not be ready till at least April.

TheLeviathan
03-03-2013, 05:38 PM
On other former Twins' news looks like both Baker and Garza will not be ready till at least April.

Which means we should be hearing soon about Pelfrey being in a similar boat. Opening the door for Duensing to be a starter. That's my prediction.

PseudoSABR
03-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Which means we should be hearing soon about Pelfrey being in a similar boat. Opening the door for Duensing to be a starter. That's my prediction.Yeah, his three shut out innings today seem to suggest you're onto something...

Thrylos
03-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Which means we should be hearing soon about Pelfrey being in a similar boat. Opening the door for Duensing to be a starter. That's my prediction.

If Pelf is on the same boat, I think that Deduno and DeVries and Hendriks and Walters or ? are ahead of Duensing as starters at this point

TheLeviathan
03-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Yeah, his three shut out innings today seem to suggest you're onto something...

Considering he had a similar surgery to Baker, it wouldn't shock me at all if we see him shut down or slowed down soon. Pelfrey could certainly Adrian Peterson his recovery, but it was unlikely from the beginning. ST are pretty irrelevant to this.

Seth Stohs
03-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Harden and Perez haven't been shut down. They're just on a different schedule, as would be expected for guys who both had shoulder surgery within the last year. I don't think anyone had them starting the season with the Twins, did they?

Old Twins Cap
03-03-2013, 07:51 PM
This is crap. Is this allowed on this site? Since when do players recovering from shoulder surgery get classified as "shut down" because they are still building arm strength? This is the kind of alarmist, know-nothingism that gives a site a bad name. Do administrators even monitor stuff like this? Shut this article down and let Perez and Harden continue to recover.

FrodaddyG
03-03-2013, 07:53 PM
This is crap. Is this allowed on this site? Since when do players recovering from shoulder surgery get classified as "shut down" because they are still building arm strength? This is the kind of alarmist, know-nothingism that gives a site a bad name. Do administrators even monitor stuff like this? Shut this article down and let Perez and Harden continue to recover.
What "article"? It's a freaking message board post.

Brock Beauchamp
03-03-2013, 08:00 PM

Deep breaths. It's okay, really.

snepp
03-03-2013, 08:08 PM

Yes, administrators monitor stuff like this. And it would be monitored and administered better if users made use of the functions available to them (private messages and/or the report post function), rather than potentially inflaming things themselves.

Also note that an administrator posted in this thread not even a half hour prior to you. If there were a problem egregious enough to address, it would have been done then.

Badsmerf
03-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Welcome to the board brother.

twinsnorth49
03-03-2013, 08:47 PM

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/mad/1106.gif............................is this article hampering their recovery?

nicksaviking
03-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Harden read this thread thought he was done and booked a flight home is what I heard.

Nick Nelson
03-03-2013, 09:37 PM
OK, OK. The reaction from OTC was a little strong but the point was valid. This is not the first time we've had issues with this particular user posting thread titles that are sensationalized and misleading; we went through this same song and dance when he reported a (false) rumor about Scott Baker signing with the Twins and titled the thread to make it sound like a fact. I changed the name of this thread... Thrylos: please stop doing this or you will face future post deletion or temp bans.

Anyway, it's too bad that the semantics have caused everyone to get so sidetracked because the report about Harden and Perez is at least noteworthy if unsurprising. There's a reason these guys signed minor-league deals and there's a reason Harden's opt-out clause doesn't kick in until the trade deadline. These are the kind of projects you have to be slow and careful with.

mike wants wins
03-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Good thing they are the only kinds of signings......

jokin
03-03-2013, 10:10 PM
OK, OK. The reaction from OTC was a little strong but the point was valid. This is not the first time we've had issues with this particular user posting thread titles that are sensationalized and misleading; we went through this same song and dance when he reported a (false) rumor about Scott Baker signing with the Twins and titled the thread to make it sound like a fact. I changed the name of this thread... Thrylos: please stop doing this or you will face future post deletion or temp bans.

Anyway, it's too bad that the semantics have caused everyone to get so sidetracked because the report about Harden and Perez is at least noteworthy if unsurprising. There's a reason these guys signed minor-league deals and there's a reason Harden's opt-out clause doesn't kick in until the trade deadline. These are the kind of projects you have to be slow and careful with.

I noticed the OP title modification to "a step back". Good use of editing, and entirely more accurate.

People have to adjust their expectations of signings like this and take the PR reports with a grain of salt, note the difference between Ryan's comments on the Harden signing and Antony's comments on the Perez signing:

1)
"Ryan said the Twins' medical personnel examined Harden on Thursday and pronounced him worthy of a look. Harden could start, pitch out of the bullpen or begin the season in the minors "if he's healthy," Ryan said. "It may take some time."
"There's no downside to this invitation," Ryan added. "We've had interest in him in the past.'"

2)
"Perez, 30, is coming off shoulder surgery in September and threw only 7 2/3 innings in 2012.
But he's healthy, according to assistant manager Rob Antony, and will be stretched out to start in Spring Training even though he's never started in the big leagues in 338 career appearances with the Indians.

"He liked the possibility of stretching out and possibly starting for us, which is what he did throughout the Minors," Antony said. "We just told him if he's one of our best starters, we're not going to turn a blind eye to anything. And if not, he's fine in the bullpen.'"

twinsnorth49
03-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Well, getting back on track, I'm with Seth, is this really news of any kind? While I have hopes either of them become serviceable (especially Harden), I really have no expectations of seeing them anytime soon, does anyone? I don't think the Twins seriously do.