PDA

View Full Version : Article: Why Vance Worley needs to expand his arsenal

Parker Hageman
03-01-2013, 08:12 AM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=1421-Vance-Worley-and-the-need-for-a-third-pitch

Gernzy
03-01-2013, 08:25 AM
I didn't realize that Worley only had 2 pitches! Let's hope that he can get that changeup under control.

Parker Hageman
03-01-2013, 08:31 AM
To be clear, he throws a curve and a slider too. Neither have been effective. His focus has been to refine the changeup to give him that velocity separation.

nicksaviking
03-01-2013, 08:41 AM
I didn't realize he didn't have an effective changeup. Did Terry Ryan? I thought it was a pre-requisit for Twins pitchers. Well I guess in this instance we can say that it is better to have Cuellar up at the MLB level. At least he can and has thrown the pitch, hopefully Cuellar can fix a mechanical issue or grip and the implementation of the change will not be something that causes him to be erratic this entire season.

Willihammer
03-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Burton throws a splange too. I wonder if those two have talked about it, Burton might have a different take than Halladay.

Brock Beauchamp
03-01-2013, 09:29 AM
“I like him. He looks like a gunslinger with that windup,” Ron Gardenhire told reporters (http://www.news-press.com/article/20130226/SPRINGTRAINING/302260030/New-Twins-hurler-makes-fan-his-manager) following the team’s 5-4 victory over the Pirates. “It looks like he’s ready to draw a pistol. I always liked guys like that.”

Seriously, Gardy.

I mean, seriously.

mcrow
03-01-2013, 09:39 AM
From what I have seen he does have a changeup that is effective at times, it's not a plus pitch for him though. I still say his cutter is his best pitch and of course he has a decent fastball. So I think he does have 3 pitches but the change is clearly the weakest. After looking at more of his games I noticed that his curve is not as good as I thought and is in fact useless...lol.

So I'd say he's a 3 pitch guys though that 3rd pitch is fringe. I think if he can just through the changeup more consistantly and in the right spots it would be huge change in his peformance.

Parker Hageman
03-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Burton throws a splange too. I wonder if those two have talked about it, Burton might have a different take than Halladay.

I think it is a misconception that Burton throws a split-change. According to this piece in the Pioneer Press (http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_20587980/minnesota-twins-jared-burtons-unique-pitch-splangeup), it is actually a circle change that has the action of a split-finger (hence the name, splangeup):

Jared Burton was playing catch as a freshman at Western Carolina University when he developed what he calls the "splangeup," an offspeed pitch like a changeup that dives like a split-fingered fastball.A variation on the "circle change," for which a pitcher makes a circle with his thumb and forefinger, Burton found that "it moved a lot, and I thought, 'Oh, that's pretty good.' "
So when Burton went home after practice, he held the ball with that circle grip "the whole night, just to get comfortable with it." They've been tight ever since.

I'd like someone to get full confirmation on that grip.

From what I have seen he does have a changeup that is effective at times, it's not a plus pitch for him though.

Depends on your definition of effective. He seldom threw it (less than 8% of the time) and threw it will very little separation from his fastball's velocity (6 mph differential). Opponents hit .429 off of it with six of the nine hits going for extra bases.

Willihammer
03-01-2013, 11:57 AM
I think it is a misconception that Burton throws a split-change. According to this piece in the Pioneer Press (http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_20587980/minnesota-twins-jared-burtons-unique-pitch-splangeup), it is actually a circle change that has the action of a split-finger (hence the name, splangeup):

What is the difference between a split-change and a splange? If I am understanding it, the only difference between Doc's pitch and Burton's is the fingers they use. Trigger and middle for Doc, Middle and ring for Burton.

Parker Hageman
03-01-2013, 12:00 PM
What is the difference between a split-change and a splange? If I am understanding it, the only difference between Doc's pitch and Burton's is the fingers they use. Trigger and middle for Doc, Middle and ring for Burton.

Right. But Burton doesn't actually split his fingers, it's just named for the similar movement to a split-finger.

GCTF
03-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Seriously, Gardy.

I mean, seriously.[/COLOR]

Gardy ain't been more serious in his life, pardner.

Willihammer
03-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Right. But Burton doesn't actually split his fingers, it's just named for the similar movement to a split-finger.

I guess I assumed he did split them. The way that pitch moves, to my eye that can only be from a split.

ScottyB
03-01-2013, 12:32 PM
It's Bobby Cuellar time! Can you say Circle-Change? Tie the two together at the hip.

Willihammer
03-01-2013, 12:39 PM
Its interesting that Worley has a reverse platoon split so far in his career too. Normally changeup-heavy pitchers have that. Suggests to me that he might benefit more from a better braking pitch that he can throw to RHBs, but maybe its just SSS. A new/better change would never hurt either.

jimbo92107
03-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Disguising his changeup may be more important than locating it. Hitters depend so heavily on timing that Worley may be better off working on making his change look more like his fastball, and don't worry so much about pinpoint location. In fact, scattering his change around the zone might actually make it more effective, especially if it takes a fraction of a second longer to recognize it.

Parker Hageman
03-01-2013, 01:34 PM
In fact, scattering his change around the zone might actually make it more effective, especially if it takes a fraction of a second longer to recognize it.

Hmm. That really has not played out in terms of pitch value across the league. If you look at the research done at Hardball Times Annual 2010 or 2011 you see that down and away is by far the most effective location for a changeup. Certainly speed differential and deception will allow for getting away with leaving a ball thigh-high but keeping the change in the proper spot will make it more successful.

Overall, completely agree that Worley needs to disguise it more.

ashburyjohn
03-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Gardy ain't been more serious in his life, pardner.

I always liked managers like that.

Kwak
03-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Hmm. That really has not played out in terms of pitch value across the league. If you look at the research done at Hardball Times Annual 2010 or 2011 you see that down and away is by far the most effective location for a changeup. Certainly speed differential and deception will allow for getting away with leaving a ball thigh-high but keeping the change in the proper spot will make it more successful.

Overall, completely agree that Worley needs to disguise it more.

The explanation given for best pitch location I heard was: "down and away and high and inside are the toughest pitches to hit--because your arms are attached to your shoulders."

ashburyjohn
03-01-2013, 04:04 PM
The explanation given for best pitch location I heard was: "down and away and high and inside are the toughest pitches to hit--because your arms are attached to your shoulders."

This probably explains why I hit so well the year I separated my shoulder. Pro-tip for the Twins' trainers.

/ Truth in posting regulations require me to state that I never separated my shoulder and I never hit well.

Doc Freiermuth
03-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Is it just me or does Worley remind anyone else of "Wild Thing" from Major League. Mowhawk...horned rimmed glasses...tough guy attitude??? Or maybe it's just that the whole team reminds me of Major League...all we need for incentive is a poster of Jim Pohlad that Gardy can take off a piece of the suit each win they get...:)

raindog
03-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Is it just me or does Worley remind anyone else of "Wild Thing" from Major League. Mowhawk...horned rimmed glasses...tough guy attitude??? .

Ha! I was kind of thinking the same thing. Doesn't quite have the velocity though...

Thanks for the article Parker! You are a treasure. It's hard to find this kind of Twins analysis.