PDA

View Full Version : A couple days old but it answers one of our offseason questions

notoriousgod71
02-28-2013, 02:31 PM
Zack Greinke: ?I could play for the worst team if they paid the most? | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/zack-greinke-could-play-worst-team-paid-most-163824712--mlb.html)

Obviously not everyone is like Greinke, but if there's one there's more than one that won't admit it.

Seth Stohs
02-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Easy to say though when a perennial 90 win team gives you $150+ million.

glunn
02-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Easy to say though when a perennial 90 win team gives you $150+ million.

I agree. The harder question would be whether he would have made a different choice if a non-contender had offered $1 million more instead of $90 million more.

Twins Twerp
02-28-2013, 03:25 PM
With an attitude like that, glad we didn't sign him. Also, I am calling bull**** on that one. It is easy to say that after you sign a major deal, but if the Twins or Astros offered 151 million and the Angels or Dodgers offers 150, your going to go to the team that is a winner (at least as fans we hope you would). Frankly, those guys should remember they are playing a game that all of us would do for 1000 times less money or even for free. I wonder how his personality disorder plays in LA.

mike wants wins
02-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Good for him, he should make the most money he can. I have zero issue with that attitude at all. If a good company came to me to so my job for millions more, I would move companies.

Oxtung
02-28-2013, 03:38 PM
I guess I look at this from the opposite direction. Why say this if you don't actually mean it? He just signed a huge deal with a great team. The easy thing to say is the usual lipservice. "I've always dreamed of playing out on the west coast. This is such a great city and great fans ....yada yada..." There is only one reason to say you came for the money and a lot of reasons to NOT say that. The only reason I can think of is because you actually meant it.

John Bonnes
02-28-2013, 03:54 PM
I don't think anyone believes that money is the only factor. Nor that winning is. There is a balance. But for a guy looking at a 1 year $7 million deal, and a 1-year $8 million deal, I got to think it comes down to the money. And it probably should.

ashburyjohn
02-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Frankly, those guys should remember they are playing a game that all of us would do for 1000 times less money or even for free.

They do. And then they sign with the highest bidder or the one who gives them the best chance at a ring. As would you or I.