PDA

View Full Version : Article: Where are they now: Former Twins in big league camps

Seth Stohs
02-28-2013, 07:55 AM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=1413-Where-are-they-now-Former-Twins-in-big-league-camps

Brad Swanson
02-28-2013, 08:18 AM
This is a really cool trip down memory lane. I always liked Luis Rodriguez for some reason. The Phillies acquired one of the best humans to play for the Twins and one of the worst. Not bad.

Twins Fan
02-28-2013, 09:09 AM
Great post Seth! Possible additions are JR Towles (SL) and Kyle Waldrop (Pit).

Oldgoat_MN
02-28-2013, 09:23 AM
This is fun stuff.
Garrett Jones had a very good year for Pittsburgh last year. I'm sure they appreciated the 27 home runs he hit for them.
Mijares had the highest K/9 of his MLB career.
Ramos isn't tearing it up, but he seems to have figured out to hit an occasional curveball.

mikeee
02-28-2013, 09:25 AM
Boof lives!!!!

LaBombo
02-28-2013, 09:30 AM
Another reason to respect the Rays' approach to the game...

nicksaviking
02-28-2013, 09:39 AM
I saw Luke Hughes on MLB network playing in an Australian league playoff game the other week. Too bad he hasn't caught on with another team. Perhaps if he has a good showing at the WBC.

Matt Tolbert's with the Phillies I believe as well.

Seth Stohs
02-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Great post Seth! Possible additions are JR Towles (SL) and Kyle Waldrop (Pit).

Added these two... I had Waldrop in my notes. Not sure why I didn't type it! Missed Towles... thank you!

Seth Stohs
02-28-2013, 10:03 AM
I saw Luke Hughes on MLB network playing in an Australian league playoff game the other week. Too bad he hasn't caught on with another team. Perhaps if he has a good showing at the WBC.

Yup, Hopefully Luke gets another shot soon.

And, Tolbert didn't get a spring training invite, but good note.

twinsfanstl
02-28-2013, 10:21 AM
begs the question- who wins more games, the actual 2013 Twins or a rotation of Dickey, Garza, Santana, Baker, Liriano, bullpen of Nathan, Capps, Breslow, Mijares, Balfour, Guerrier, Crain and Cuddy, Casilla, Hardy, Valencia, Ramos, Hunter, Revere, Span, Gomez, Ortiz, and benchies Punto, Young, AJ?

mikeee
02-28-2013, 10:36 AM
Get the salary of those guys and add it up.

begs the question- who wins more games, the actual 2013 Twins or a rotation of Dickey, Garza, Santana, Baker, Liriano, bullpen of Nathan, Capps, Breslow, Mijares, Balfour, Guerrier, Crain and Cuddy, Casilla, Hardy, Valencia, Ramos, Hunter, Revere, Span, Gomez, Ortiz, and benchies Punto, Young, AJ?

Seth Stohs
02-28-2013, 10:47 AM
And not just add up their contracts, but add a 10-25% more because if the Twins would have kept them, they would likely be making significantly more than they are now.

twinsfanstl
02-28-2013, 11:12 AM
And not just add up their contracts, but add a 10-25% more because if the Twins would have kept them, they would likely be making significantly more than they are now.

Yeah, wasn't really interested in Twins spending habits, having been a fan since the early 80's I know the drill and don't often disagree with their philosophy. I just think your list is interesting and when you cherry pick those who (barring injury) will play a great deal elsewhere and compare to our actual projected roster it is telling. We ponied up plenty to try to retain Santana and Hunter. We gave up on Dickey way too soon, let Garza slip in what has to be viewed as a terrible trade. Got Hardy then traded him for Hoey. Gave up on Mijares, Balfour. Mis-played resigning Baker. These were not insignificant blunders. What is the other side of the coin? What flipside do we tout? Got lucky with Burton? ok. what else? In the last 4 years, what have the Twins done in the free agent market or via trade that has made significant impact on the teams they have actually fielded towards winning?

Rosterman
02-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Not invites, but amongst others we see Steve Tolleson with the White Sox, Ray Chang with the Red, Rene Tosoni with the Brewers, Jeremy Reed with the Diamondbacks, Jair Fernandez should get an shot with Houston. Once the season starts, I'll do a rundown somewhere of former Twins everywhere! Minnesota Twins Baseball Cards, Autographs, Publications, Memorabilia, Players, Stats, History, Collectibles (http://www.twinscards.com)

Seth Stohs
02-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Yeah, wasn't really interested in Twins spending habits, having been a fan since the early 80's I know the drill and don't often disagree with their philosophy. I just think your list is interesting and when you cherry pick those who (barring injury) will play a great deal elsewhere and compare to our actual projected roster it is telling. We ponied up plenty to try to retain Santana and Hunter. We gave up on Dickey way too soon, let Garza slip in what has to be viewed as a terrible trade. Got Hardy then traded him for Hoey. Gave up on Mijares, Balfour. Mis-played resigning Baker. These were not insignificant blunders. What is the other side of the coin? What flipside do we tout? Got lucky with Burton? ok. what else? In the last 4 years, what have the Twins done in the free agent market or via trade that has made significant impact on the teams they have actually fielded towards winning?

Santana and Hunter signed extensions with the Twins to keep them around, and the Twins offered both of them fair deals when they left. I don't think anyone is terribly upset with how the Twins played the Baker situation. Balfour was coming off of missing basically three years with arm injuries. Dickey... well, everyone gave up on him too soon because everyone would have let him go after that year. But yeah, every team has guys they wish they would have kept, guys they wish they would not have signed, and good minor league signings and bad regular free agent signings.

LewFordLives
02-28-2013, 12:05 PM

I was watching that same game with Luke Hughes and was wondering why the Twins don't give him a call. I know he had a lot of holes in his game, but I thought he was better than what they have now.

ashburyjohn
02-28-2013, 12:32 PM
> Arizona Diamondbacks – How about this… Michael Tonkin’s brother-in-law is on the D-Backs 40 man roster.

http://www.skypoint.com/members/ashbury/fry.jpg

JB_Iowa
02-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Seems like every game I'm seeing on mlbnetwork has former Twins. Some of those teams almost seem more recognizable than the 2013 Twins (at least until we see them on TV a few times).

Dakota Dan
02-28-2013, 02:23 PM
Isn't Jason Kubel still with Arizona?

Seth Stohs
02-28-2013, 03:03 PM

Yes, he is... that was referenced in the article.

Dakota Dan
02-28-2013, 03:10 PM

glunn
02-28-2013, 03:11 PM
This is a fun article.

Question for the group: if the Twins could get one of these guys back for 1 year at his current salary, who would you select?

Rosterman
02-28-2013, 03:12 PM
Jason Kubel, I would take him back.

ashburyjohn
02-28-2013, 04:22 PM

Thrylos
02-28-2013, 05:24 PM
Jair Fernandez should get an shot with Houston.

He is with the Cubs

Thrylos
02-28-2013, 05:26 PM
A few more who are not invited:

Sean Henn, Matt Maloney, Ryan Rowland-Smith - Red Sox
Matt Tolbert, Brian Bass - Philies
Rob Delaney - Orioles
Yohan Pino - Reds
Jair Fernandez - Cubs
Joe Testa - Nationals
Randy Ruiz - White Sux
Jim Hoey - Brewers

norcaltwinsfan
02-28-2013, 06:14 PM
I noticed the Yankees a little light on this list. Guess they don't need our cast offs! It would be great to see the Orioles beat the Yankees with all of our "stars".

h2oface
03-01-2013, 12:06 PM
Brendan Harrison?