PDA

View Full Version : Berardino: Pamrelee's throws today were a topic.

John Bonnes
02-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Mike Berardino notes that Chris Parmelee has a poor and a good throw in today's game. And it was discussed by Gardenhire:

"The first one was kind of a grenade, not on line by anybody's terminology," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "Second one, he came up and gathered himself a little better and didn't try to overthrow it and made a really nice throw. We think he's really accurate when he does it like that. He got a little out of whack on the first one."

I think he's safe in right field, regardless, but I hate hearing stuff like that.

Minnesota Twins: Chris Parmelee plays good throw, bad throw in field - TwinCities.com (http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_22681548/minnesota-twins-chris-parmelee-plays-good-throw-bad)

Seth Stohs
02-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Hate hearing that he made one bad throw, then settled down, corrected his mechanics, and made a perfect throw?

ThePuck
02-27-2013, 07:55 PM
Mike Berardino notes that Chris Parmelee has a poor and a good throw in today's game. And it was discussed by Gardenhire:

I think he's safe in right field, regardless, but I hate hearing stuff like that.

Minnesota Twins: Chris Parmelee plays good throw, bad throw in field - TwinCities.com (http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_22681548/minnesota-twins-chris-parmelee-plays-good-throw-bad)

A lot like Gomez was his first year with us...rocket arm, absolutely no idea where it would go.

FrodaddyG
02-27-2013, 10:18 PM
A lot like Gomez was his first year with us...rocket arm, absolutely no idea where it would go.
Minus the rocket arm.

jorgenswest
02-27-2013, 10:33 PM
I wonder if he might be more prepared to play RF if the Twins had the foresight to play him there in AAA last year. The Twins really failed in their planning. Any reasonable person could see 1B and DH blocked in 2013.

For the sake of the pitching staff, I hope his tenure in RF is a short one.

Kwak
02-27-2013, 10:35 PM
He was sandbagging. The poor throw might not have cost a base, but the good throw got an out.

Parmalee has played RF before--he was "trained" to play 1B as a second option/path to the Twins.

Nick Nelson
02-27-2013, 11:11 PM
He'll be sub par on defense. Not much doubt about that. The real question is: how much does a bad defensive RF hurt you? I say not too much, especially with all the groundballers on staff this year.

ashburyjohn
02-27-2013, 11:39 PM
He was sandbagging. The poor throw might not have cost a base, but the good throw got an out.

Yes, this is how the game is played in early Spring. Inside baseball all the way. How many hidden ball plays did Colabello and Clement run for outs at first, four or five?

Oldgoat_MN
02-28-2013, 12:13 AM
Yes, this is how the game is played in early Spring. Inside baseball all the way. How many hidden ball plays did Colabello and Clement run for outs at first, four or five?
Alas my brother, where are we going with this?
Do you disagree? Yeah, me too.

kab21
02-28-2013, 12:35 AM
tbh - I really don't care about Parmelee's defense. I expect it to be somewhere between bad and awful in the OF and I expect a spot to open up at DH/1B by the trade deadline. Someone will be traded or injured by then.

What I do care about is his bat. He needs to be in the .775-.800 OPS range to have any value as a starter. He has shown progress in the last 3 seasons cutting down on the K's and then adding the power back in but he still needs to do it at the MLB level.

East Coast Twin
02-28-2013, 06:02 AM

++1

Kwak
02-28-2013, 07:08 AM
I guess I need to use an emoticon for some of you. d;-)

twinsnorth49
02-28-2013, 08:37 AM
Hate hearing that he made one bad throw, then settled down, corrected his mechanics, and made a perfect throw?

This says it all, if this is something to worry about, you're all going to have ulcers by mid- March.

ashburyjohn
02-28-2013, 10:56 AM

I was disagreeing with "he was sandbagging", or at least my interpretation of what was meant by that. No one would try to lull an opponent into trying to take an extra base unwisely in a spring game. No one would hope that in a regular season game some opponent might remember "that guy in right made a poor throw in early Spring Training, let's run wild on him" and gain some easy assists.

So, in effect, I was wondering, "my brother, where are we going with this" about sandbagging in February. What next, the hidden ball trick on every baserunner?