PDA

View Full Version : Dozier vs. Rosario

mnfanforlife
02-26-2013, 04:32 PM
Who would you rather see open the 2013 season at 2-bag, Brian Dozier or Ed Rosario?

Obviously, it would be a lot more fun to see Eddie. But, we won't. Rosario is now 5-8 with a homer in a few games off the bench this spring.

gunnarthor
02-26-2013, 04:42 PM
I can't imagine he's ready to play in the majors yet. Longterm, I hope he becomes an all star but right now, I think Dozier would pretty clearly out hit and probably field a lot better too.

LimestoneBaggy
02-26-2013, 04:43 PM
It would be fun to beleive that Eddie could maintain this level in the regular season, but Dozier it is.

Seth Stohs
02-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Who would you rather see open the 2013 season at 2-bag, Brian Dozier or Ed Rosario?

Obviously, it would be a lot more fun to see Eddie. But, we won't. Rosario is now 5-8 with a homer in a few games off the bench this spring.

I believe we officially have our first overreaction to early spring training stats... It took four games. I thought that it would happen a lot quicker.

Eddie Rosario is a legit hitter, but he's not ready yet... he can move quickly. But Dozier's much more ready at this time.

glunn
02-26-2013, 04:53 PM
I believe we officially have our first overreaction to early spring training stats... It took four games. I thought that it would happen a lot quicker.

Eddie Rosario is a legit hitter, but he's not ready yet... he can move quickly. But Dozier's much more ready at this time.

Logic and experience are completely on your side, yet I am enjoying the fantasy that Rosario will be a fast mover like Mike Trout. And if Rosario hits well again tomorrow, then he will bring additional joy to my otherwise bleak life. So please continue to be gentle when introducing reality into these discussions.

righty8383
02-26-2013, 05:00 PM

I knew I should've started a "Cut Mike Pelfrey" thread a few hours ago.

roger
02-26-2013, 05:00 PM

My question Seth, if Rosario has a good WBC and great first half at Fort Meyers he should go up to New Britain at the break. Assuming he continues to hit there like he can/should, does he get a September callup? If my California math is correct, he doesn't have to be added to the 40-man roster until after 2014. But if he has a great year at both stops, is he the young star to get a non-Twins like callup? Your thoughts please!

Seth Stohs
02-26-2013, 05:10 PM
My question Seth, if Rosario has a good WBC and great first half at Fort Meyers he should go up to New Britain at the break. Assuming he continues to hit there like he can/should, does he get a September callup? If my California math is correct, he doesn't have to be added to the 40-man roster until after 2014. But if he has a great year at both stops, is he the young star to get a non-Twins like callup? Your thoughts please!

I don't think he will get to play very much in the WBC because Puerto Rico is going to play Beltran, Pagan and Rios in their OF, so he might get an at bat or two. However, I fully expect that he ends the season in New Britain. I think he's a much more advanced all-around hitter than Miguel Sano, so I can see him moving up very quickly. That said, if he doesn't have to be added to the 40 man roster until after 2014, and there are several quality prospects that do have to be added after 2013, I would be shocked if he got a call up in September. It just doesn't make sense. Unless they are 100% certain that he will be their every day 2B at the start of 2014, I don't see any good reason to give him the September call up. That said, I definitely expect him to be up sometime just before September of 2014.

Rosterman
02-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Fast thru the system with a September call-up as Carroll will have been traded to a contender. Look for him to get a shot in 2014 if Florimon, Dozier or Escobar are reserve players.

drjim
02-26-2013, 05:40 PM
8 at bats eh?

Han Joelo
02-26-2013, 05:45 PM
Is there a really good Puerto Rican 2B blocking Rosario or is his defense so raw they won't play him there? Or, to put it another way, is there a chance he could hit his way into a start or two a 2B?

I'm sure it is a huge honor to play for your country, but it would be nice if he spent ST working on D, rather than sitting on a bench.

Nonetheless, great boxscore for him today, and he fielded the final out.

birdwatcher
02-26-2013, 05:58 PM
What a great spring experience for this kid!!! He gets to hang around with all these accomplished professionals in Fort Meyers with the Twins. Maybe talk a little baseball and get some instruction from Carew, Molitor, etc. Then he gets to watch Rios, Beltran, and Pagan go about their business for a couple weeks. Wow.

Thrylos
02-26-2013, 06:17 PM
I am sure that the kid is having the time of his life and I hope he keeps it up, but I just don't see him making the roster.

BTW he is not formally invited to ST (every season the Twins give some uninvited minor leaguers some time with the big team and this is what happened here, but it usually happens after the cuts.) The timing of this is interesting, and maybe has to do with the fact that (the invited) Deibinson Romero has not played yet. Maybe something is wrong with him but I haven't heard anything to or against that effect.

I think that what Rosario is fighting for is Fort Myers vs. New Britain (to begin) this season, but I just don't see him start in AA for a lot of reasons including the temperature up there in April.

ashburyjohn
02-26-2013, 06:25 PM
I am enjoying the fantasy that Rosario will be a fast mover like Mike Trout..

Hrbek feels like the right analogy to me. Both were in the Midwestern League at age 20. Kent cooled his heels for another year at high A before belatedly getting the call from the big club; the Twins were lucky he didn't get bored and decide to go into pro wrestling. Anyway, let Eddie get a year of seasoning in high A, then call him up.

diehardtwinsfan
02-26-2013, 06:41 PM
I'm a bit surprised people are even asking this question. He still needs quite a bit of work defensively, so I doubt he ends up in NB. He could get promoted if he continues to hit and plays decent defense, but he won't be starting in NB... No question if he puts things together that he'll be moved rapidly, but unless he forces it, the soonest he will be in MN is for a Sept call up next year.

Nick Nelson
02-26-2013, 06:43 PM
Luke Hughes.

BTW he is not formally invited to ST (every season the Twins give some uninvited minor leaguers some time with the big team and this is what happened here, but it usually happens after the cuts.) The timing of this is interesting, and maybe has to do with the fact that (the invited) Deibinson Romero has not played yet. Maybe something is wrong with him but I haven't heard anything to or against that effect.
The Twins brought Rosario to camp so he could get a little work in before the WBC, and so the coaching staff could get a look at him before he leaves for a couple weeks. Don't think it's anything more than that.

mnfanforlife
02-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Is there a really good Puerto Rican 2B blocking Rosario or is his defense so raw they won't play him there? Or, to put it another way, is there a chance he could hit his way into a start or two a 2B?

I'm sure it is a huge honor to play for your country, but it would be nice if he spent ST working on D, rather than sitting on a bench.

Nonetheless, great boxscore for him today, and he fielded the final out.

Yes!! There is an awesome 2-bagger playing in front of Rosario for the WBC. His name is Falu. I played with a Puerto Rican that knows him personally. Falu is a pimp. But so is Eddie, he's just young.

SpiritofVodkaDave
02-26-2013, 06:58 PM
I'd also personally give Benson a contract extension while we are at it! Keep in mind Eddie has gotten his hits off a bunch of guys throwing 80% or who will be bagging groceries in a couple months.

mnfanforlife
02-26-2013, 06:59 PM
Eddie is better than Dozier offensively, right now. I think, since the big club is gonna suck this year, that Rosario will get at least 2 years of defensive work in the minor leagues.

diehardtwinsfan
02-26-2013, 08:40 PM
Eddie is better than Dozier offensively, right now. I think, since the big club is gonna suck this year, that Rosario will get at least 2 years of defensive work in the minor leagues.

He played in Beloit last year, not New Brittian. No question he has a higher offensive ceiling, but that's pushing it.

Seth Stohs
02-26-2013, 08:54 PM
Logic and experience are completely on your side, yet I am enjoying the fantasy that Rosario will be a fast mover like Mike Trout. And if Rosario hits well again tomorrow, then he will bring additional joy to my otherwise bleak life. So please continue to be gentle when introducing reality into these discussions.

Although, Trout is only like 6 weeks older than Rosario, so... not quite the same movement.

birdwatcher
02-26-2013, 09:17 PM
I am sure that the kid is having the time of his life and I hope he keeps it up, but I just don't see him making the roster.

I think that what Rosario is fighting for is Fort Myers vs. New Britain (to begin) this season, but I just don't see him start in AA for a lot of reasons including the temperature up there in April.

thrylos, my dear brother. Dear dear dear. You're making stuff up here, brother. There are thirteen Twins playing in the WBC. All of them are in the big league camp, because they were formally invited to get ready for the WBC. Several of them would not othwerwise be in camp, most notably Berrios and Rosario. This has been widely reported.

johnnydakota
02-26-2013, 09:30 PM

Im guessing Edwardos move to 2b , may not be his last.If Harris and Sano can not make the next step defensivly , we may see Rosario moved to 3rd

johnnydakota
02-26-2013, 09:33 PM
thrylos, my dear brother. Dear dear dear. You're making stuff up here, brother. There are thirteen Twins playing in the WBC. All of them are in the big league camp, because they were formally invited to get ready for the WBC. Several of them would not othwerwise be in camp, most notably Berrios and Rosario. This has been widely reported.

Me thinks your both right, especially when they play split games the twins will reach down into the minors camp and will bring up a couple of players ...And every player who will participate in the WBC is in the mlb camp to prepare for the turnement

mnfanforlife
02-26-2013, 09:37 PM
If Dozier is so "ready", then maybe he can play shortstop for Minnesota? In my opinion, Carrol is a bench guy, and Florimon and Escobar are AAA material. Eddie is MLB material. Dozier might be, but he sure didn't look like it during his extended playing time with MN last year.

Obviously we won't see Eddie next year in Minnesota. But it sure would be more fun than seeing these other posers.

mnfanforlife
02-26-2013, 09:40 PM

I would bet that at this time next year, people will be screaming for Rosario to start the season in Minnesota.

And...if you read the post, it's hardly an overreaction to anything. Facts are stated, as well as my opinion. It would be A LOT MORE FUN to watch Eddie struggle in the majors, than to see the AAA clown squad we are going to roll out there this season

mnfanforlife
02-26-2013, 09:44 PM
Although, Trout is only like 6 weeks older than Rosario, so... not quite the same movement.

Yeah. Trout is on another level.

Eddie is a very talented offensive force, and will be a top-of-the order guy in the bigs. Offensively, Eddie is ready. Defensively, no.

Seth Stohs
02-26-2013, 09:52 PM
I would bet that at this time next year, people will be screaming for Rosario to start the season in Minnesota.

And...if you read the post, it's hardly an overreaction to anything. Facts are stated, as well as my opinion. It would be A LOT MORE FUN to watch Eddie struggle in the majors, than to see the AAA clown squad we are going to roll out there this season

I have no doubt that a year from now, we'll be clamoring for Rosario to be in the big leagues... but not now. Some people can't get past that first impression that a player makes in the big leagues. Dozier was not good, but that doesn't mean he can't be good. His ceiling is not near Rosario's, for sure, Rosario's upside is so high, you don't mess with his development.

Seth Stohs
02-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Yeah. Trout is on another level.

Eddie is a very talented offensive force, and will be a top-of-the order guy in the bigs. Offensively, Eddie is ready. Defensively, no.

How are you so certain that Rosario is ready offensively? Cuz he's hit well late in early spring training games? I believe in him completely, but it's not because of 8 spring at bats. Let him breathe.

Seth Stohs
02-26-2013, 09:56 PM

The only special invite WBC players in Twins camp are Rosario, Berrios and Albers. Stuifbergen has been training with Blyleven and the Netherlands team for a few weeks already. But, Beresford, Martis and Colabello and Deduno and Guerra are formal Non-Roster Invites.

The Twins will bring other minor leaguers to some big league games after they start camp next week, and once the Twins have sent a bunch of players down to minor league camp.

mnfanforlife
02-26-2013, 09:58 PM
I have no doubt that a year from now, we'll be clamoring for Rosario to be in the big leagues... but not now. Some people can't get past that first impression that a player makes in the big leagues. Dozier was not good, but that doesn't mean he can't be good. His ceiling is not near Rosario's, for sure, Rosario's upside is so high, you don't mess with his development.

These points you have made here, cannot be argued with. Completely agree. I hope Dozier can reporduce his NB numbers with Minnesota....then you can play Dozier at SS and Rosario at 2B in 2014.

mnfanforlife
02-26-2013, 10:06 PM
How are you so certain that Rosario is ready offensively? Cuz he's hit well late in early spring training games? I believe in him completely, but it's not because of 8 spring at bats. Let him breathe.

I think he is ready because he was awesome post-face-surgery, and stepped it up a notch in winter ball. Its like the Sano situation...He played low-A, but was the 1st overall pick in the winter-draft back home. He is obviously being handled with kid gloves, and likewise for Rosario. For better or worse, i dont know. I just want to see them being challenged.

ashburyjohn
02-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Luke Hughes.

Luke Out.

Shane Wahl
02-27-2013, 12:22 AM
Rosario needs to work for at least a year+ at second base defensively. Maybe September 2014.

mnfanforlife
02-27-2013, 12:39 AM
Rosario needs to work for at least a year+ at second base defensively. Maybe September 2014.

Probably wont see Eddie for another three full seasons. I agree he needs a little time to get comfortable at 2B...but we need him to learn on-the-job in Minnesota. I say start him in A+ and promote him based on offensive performance, regardless of how he is playing defensively. If he keeps hitting in AA later this year...then let the upper level coaches teach him how to play defense. They are getting paid more than the A+ coaches, right? Well let them show why they deserve to be coaches in AA and AAA, and have them teach this kid how to play a serviceable 2-bag over the next two seasons. There is no reason for Eddie to be a minor-leaguer past 2014. None

SpiritofVodkaDave
02-27-2013, 01:11 AM
Anyone that claims that Rosario is even close to MLB ready in any facet of his game is being a little ridiculous at the very least, the kid is a stud prospect no doubt...but has plenty of work to do as most raw talented young prospects do. I am stoked about his great 8 at bats, but lets be real..8 at bats mean next to nothing especially the first week of spring training! However this does get me more excited for 2014 and beyond!

mnfanforlife
02-27-2013, 01:34 AM
It will be interesting to see where Rosario finishes 2013...floor is A+...ceiling is Sept call-up

FrodaddyG
02-27-2013, 02:32 AM
ceiling is Sept call-up
It really, really isn't.

stringer bell
02-27-2013, 06:12 AM
These points you have made here, cannot be argued with. Completely agree. I hope Dozier can reporduce his NB numbers with Minnesota....then you can play Dozier at SS and Rosario at 2B in 2014.I certainly haven't given up on Dozier as a shortstop. If he could play decent defense and OPS .750, he could be a regular until the team is good again. As for Rosario, late '14 is the most optimistic anyone should be. Just in time to be part of the Twins' run in the playoffs in 2015!

bcntwinsfan
02-27-2013, 08:02 AM
I certainly haven't given up on Dozier as a shortstop. If he could play decent defense and OPS .750, he could be a regular until the team is good again. As for Rosario, late '14 is the most optimistic anyone should be. Just in time to be part of the Twins' run in the playoffs in 2015!

I honestly don't see Dozier as Major League ready. Carroll has on base skills and is a better defender. They should give Dozier regular playing time at AAA. Carroll will bat second and probably do better than last year as he has now seen a full season of A.L. pitchers. Your 2013 Minnesota Twins infield. Florimon SS, Carroll 2B, and Escobar as the utility infielder. I kind of wish it was Pablo Escobar so they could increase the payroll.

Brock Beauchamp
02-27-2013, 08:15 AM

He's hit well late in games against second tier pitching early in Spring Training when pitchers are rusty.

I love how well he's done but c'mon, people...

Gene Larkin Fan Club
02-27-2013, 08:31 AM
It's fun to speculate, but this feels a little like we're running barefoot through the tall grass of Fantasy Land. He's a great talent and we're excited about his potential, but we need to calm down about him being ready this September. I don't think we can comprehend the huge leap there is between each level. I hope we let him develop and learn (defensively and offensively) and hope he's ready for a 2014 September call-up.

I also have a hard time when we make the Trout comparisons. Trout is an other-worldly talent who was a plug-in plus defender and went on an absolute tear. Rosario is not Mike Trout on defense or offense. The vast majority of players in every organization take time to develop. The Mike Trouts or Bryce Harpers are extremely rare. (And neither of them had to learn 2B.)

twinsnorth49
02-27-2013, 10:01 AM
I can't quite believe this is still a talking point 43 posts in, he wasn't even an actual ST invitee, that's how far off the radar he is for the big club right now.

mnfanforlife
02-27-2013, 10:10 AM
It really, really isn't.

Some can't imagine this, but it's not completely out-of-the-question. Won't happen, just like I said in the original post. Right player for that. Wrong organization for that.

mnfanforlife
02-27-2013, 10:13 AM
I can't quite believe this is still a talking point 43 posts in, he wasn't even an actual ST invitee, that's how far off the radar he is for the big club right now.

Thank you for your post. Ha. With another organization, he'd probably be in an MLB centerfield right now.

mnfanforlife
02-27-2013, 10:22 AM
It's fun to speculate, but this feels a little like we're running barefoot through the tall grass of Fantasy Land. He's a great talent and we're excited about his potential, but we need to calm down about him being ready this September. I don't think we can comprehend the huge leap there is between each level. I hope we let him develop and learn (defensively and offensively) and hope he's ready for a 2014 September call-up.

I also have a hard time when we make the Trout comparisons. Trout is an other-worldly talent who was a plug-in plus defender and went on an absolute tear. Rosario is not Mike Trout on defense or offense. The vast majority of players in every organization take time to develop. The Mike Trouts or Bryce Harpers are extremely rare. (And neither of them had to learn 2B.)

Uh...yeah. The point of the thread is to point out that I'd rather see Rosario (who is not close to ready) struggle in Minnesota this year, than see Jamey Carroll and three AAA-ceiling talents get the opportunity ahead of Eddie. Its not difficult to comprehend the "huge leap" between each level. I mean, this isn't like traveling through interstellar space. What, exactly, is so tough to understand about the difference between A+ and AA and AAA baseball?

diehardtwinsfan
02-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Thank you for your post. Ha. With another organization, he'd probably be in an MLB centerfield right now.

um... no he wouldn't.

nicksaviking
02-27-2013, 10:41 AM
It really, really isn't.

Eddie's obviously not making the team anytime soon, but a September call-up is not out of the realm of possiblity if he keeps hitting and shows improved defense. Arcia started the year in Ft. Myers last year and likely would have been a September call up had the Twins a need for a corner outfielder. The middle infield is much less stable, desperation has influenced this team to dip down to New Britain several times over the last couple of years.

CDog
02-27-2013, 10:43 AM

I call.

diehardtwinsfan
02-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Uh...yeah. The point of the thread is to point out that I'd rather see Rosario (who is not close to ready) struggle in Minnesota this year, than see Jamey Carroll and three AAA-ceiling talents get the opportunity ahead of Eddie. Its not difficult to comprehend the "huge leap" between each level. I mean, this isn't like traveling through interstellar space. What, exactly, is so tough to understand about the difference between A+ and AA and AAA baseball?

The point in people's response is that this makes no sense for Rosario much less the team's better business interests. If Eddie gets called up, he's likely not going to impress. He's going to have to do a ton of learning on the job that could be done slowly over a few years on a normal development curve. He might shine, but he's more likely to struggle mightly, and there's a very real possibility he doesn't recover. Not to mention that he only has a year of defense at his position (and didn't play it well). Do you really think Gardy is going to trot him out every day when he's making errors on routine plays? Do you think fans will suddenly develop patience for the guy when this happens?

There's a huge difference between A+ (where he should be) and MLB... for one, this will the first year he starts seeing MLB quality breaking pitches on a consistent basis.

kab21
02-27-2013, 10:49 AM
The only special invite WBC players in Twins camp are Rosario, Berrios and Albers. Stuifbergen has been training with Blyleven and the Netherlands team for a few weeks already. But, Beresford, Martis and Colabello and Deduno and Guerra are formal Non-Roster Invites.

The Twins will bring other minor leaguers to some big league games after they start camp next week, and once the Twins have sent a bunch of players down to minor league camp.

Stuifbergen is definitely not in Twins camp like you say. I chatted with him for a minute last weekend at a WBC warm up game in Taiwan. I was hoping to see him pitch but no dice. I also saw Blyleven but barely. He was in the 'get to the bus as fast as possible' mood. After all there was a mob of at least 20 Taiwanese that he had to plow through and it's likely that none of them had any idea who he was.

kab21
02-27-2013, 10:52 AM

Really? There is a huge difference between A+ and MLB. Rosario would get destroyed at the MLB level and I think he's actually a really good prospect.

twinsnorth49
02-27-2013, 11:01 AM

Based on what? C'mon I appreciate your enthusiasm for Rosario and I am excited about him too but we're talking about a player who might not even see AA this year. What MLB team would be starting him in CF right now?

twinsnorth49
02-27-2013, 11:05 AM
What, exactly, is so tough to understand about the difference between A+ and AA and AAA baseball?

I don't know but you seem to be having a hard time with it.

ashburyjohn
02-27-2013, 12:30 PM
I am stoked about his great 8 at bats, but lets be real..8 at bats mean next to nothing especially the first week of spring training! However this does get me more excited for 2014 and beyond!

It shows what he can do when he gets his pitch. That is a necessary ingredient for success at bat, and worth our being stoked about. Whether he can fare as well when he doesn't get his pitch as often, well, as you say, let's be real, and let's be patient if need be.

Seth Stohs
02-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Stuifbergen is definitely not in Twins camp like you say. I chatted with him for a minute last weekend at a WBC warm up game in Taiwan. I was hoping to see him pitch but no dice. I also saw Blyleven but barely. He was in the 'get to the bus as fast as possible' mood. After all there was a mob of at least 20 Taiwanese that he had to plow through and it's likely that none of them had any idea who he was.

Stuif is a really good guy, and I hope he gets a chance to start in the WBC this weekend. He's got a chance to be good, but he just has to stay healthy, and he knows it.

Seth Stohs
02-27-2013, 12:54 PM
I think that a best-case scenario would be that he spends 2 to 2 1/2 months in Ft. Myers and dominates, then moves up to New Britain for the remainder of the season and puts up Arcia-like numbers. If he makes enough improvements defensively, the Twins could absolutely open up 2B for him to start next season, although (not to belabor the point), I'd still have him spend a month or two at AAA to start 2014 anyway. It's what the Twins did with Mauer (and he was a year younger, and they had to move an All-Star to make room for him). Unlike with Sano, I can see this being a very realistic path for Rosario.

jimbo92107
02-27-2013, 01:09 PM
If you're going to play Rosario, then why not Sano and Buxton? Heck, the latter two are more prepared to play their natural positions of 3B and CF than Rosario is ready to play 2B, where he shifted to last season.

Rosario is a talented guy, but he made a ton of errors while learning 2B last season. He belongs in the minor leagues, where his rough edges will not become an embarrassment in front of 25,000 fans per game. I would spare the young man these humiliations with a normal development time.

Meanwhile, the Twins have a serious logjam of talent in the outfield right now. If I were Ron Gardenhire I would seriously consider keeping both Aaron Hicks and Joe Benson up with the team to start the season. Given all the dubious and marginal talent on the pitching staff, it may come in handy to have available the 3FCFD (3 Fast Center Fielders Defense). With Masto, Hicks and Benson (Benson and the Jets?) out there, an awful lot of fly balls will get caught, and all three have arms that are either good or great. Thus we derive the equation: 3FCFD=FBOx3. If we extend the equation to include Willingham's role, we get
3FCFD+H@DH=FBO(n)+RBI(n), with n being a lot more than before.
By extending this equation to full bogosity, we can include all other possible DH possibilities, thus:
3FCFD+H, M1, M2, P, Dsub@DH=FBO(n)+RBI(n). Luckily, this is easy to understand.
Ten points for the first person to spot the Sheldon joke.

nicksaviking
02-27-2013, 02:50 PM
It shows what he can do when he gets his pitch. That is a necessary ingredient for success at bat, and worth our being stoked about. Whether he can fare as well when he doesn't get his pitch as often, well, as you say, let's be real, and let's be patient if need be.

I particularly like that he is now playing in the notoriously tough FSL parks that he will be hitting in come opening day. If nothing else, hitting well in spring training should give him a ton of confidence heading into the games that count.

Gene Larkin Fan Club
02-27-2013, 03:23 PM

Evidently, it's difficult for some to understand the importance of development at the proper pace. If someone is moved too quickly, it can shatter confidence and hinder development. I think this why the Mike Trouts of the world are so rare. Very few are capable of making the leap that quickly...or do you believe that Eddie Rosario is at Trout's level? I wish that were so, but I'm guessing he is not. The Twins are not the only organization that develops players at a deliberate pace.

mnfanforlife
02-27-2013, 05:26 PM
Evidently, it's difficult for some to understand the importance of development at the proper pace. If someone is moved too quickly, it can shatter confidence and hinder development. I think this why the Mike Trouts of the world are so rare. Very few are capable of making the leap that quickly...or do you believe that Eddie Rosario is at Trout's level? I wish that were so, but I'm guessing he is not. The Twins are not the only organization that develops players at a deliberate pace.

Again...No. I do not believe Rosario is near the level of Mike Trout. OK...everyone please.....

With a different organization, Eddie may have remained an outfielder. Maybe his hypothetical organization has a need in CF? If so, He would have been pushed a little faster than spending two years in rookie ball and another in low-A. Again, as an outfielder, he could have breezed up to AA by now with the offensive skills he possesses. If he would have tore up AA last year, he would be a realistic possibility with an MLB club to start 2013.

BUT....since he is converting to 2B to fill a need with MN...he will take much longer to get to the big leagues. 24-yr-old rookie probably. Whereas he could have easily been 23-or-younger-rookie with the perfect fit of an organization. Maybe he gets a Sept call-up for his 22nd birthday in the event of broken legs to Hicks, Mastro, and Benson? We would need a CF that can hit.

mnfanforlife
02-27-2013, 05:29 PM
I think a series of question marks about Eddie is this: What if he had not been struck in the face? Would he have played in A+ last year? How much? Would that experience have accelerated his timetable a bit? How much? How much does his performance in the winter leagues and WBC affect his standing with Terry Ryan and staff?

diehardtwinsfan
02-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Again...No. I do not believe Rosario is near the level of Mike Trout. OK...everyone please.....

With a different organization, Eddie may have remained an outfielder. Maybe his hypothetical organization has a need in CF? If so, He would have been pushed a little faster than spending two years in rookie ball and another in low-A. Again, as an outfielder, he could have breezed up to AA by now with the offensive skills he possesses. If he would have tore up AA last year, he would be a realistic possibility with an MLB club to start 2013.

BUT....since he is converting to 2B to fill a need with MN...he will take much longer to get to the big leagues. 24-yr-old rookie probably. Whereas he could have easily been 23-or-younger-rookie with the perfect fit of an organization. Maybe he gets a Sept call-up for his 22nd birthday in the event of broken legs to Hicks, Mastro, and Benson? We would need a CF that can hit.

There are a lot of hypothetical "ifs" in that statement. The switch to 2nd was great if for no other reason than that 2nd is a postion of need in this org where CF is clearly not. Even if he hadn't switched, he's been moving up the ranks 1 level per year, which is a pretty normal pace. Staying in center would not have changed that.

mnfanforlife
02-27-2013, 05:45 PM
There are a lot of hypothetical "ifs" in that statement. The switch to 2nd was great if for no other reason than that 2nd is a postion of need in this org where CF is clearly not. Even if he hadn't switched, he's been moving up the ranks 1 level per year, which is a pretty normal pace. Staying in center would not have changed that.

I know. There are a lot of "IF's" in life. And these points you've made are debatable topics.

mnfanforlife
02-27-2013, 05:56 PM
I wonder if Rosario can hit A+ pitching? Yes, he will. And next year, I wonder if Rosario can still hit in AA? Yes, he will. And the year after that, can Rosario still hit? Yes, he will still be able to hit the crap out of his peers. But, but, but, its an entire level-per-year he will be advancing, YIKES! Yes, it is. Don't be scared. I'm sure Eddie is not. Maybe Eddie envisions multiple level advancement for himself in 2013? Would you tell him, "that's not possible! You're too inexperienced on defense!"

I mean really...if Eddie hits like O.Arcia did in A+ and AA ...what would be stopping him from skipping AAA and taking over 2B in Minnesota?

His defense should be ready to go by 2014 since he has no doubt been working on things at 2B for at least 12 months now....with professional coaches and instructors...he's smart...he will learn fast. Give him the wings people.

Nick Nelson
02-27-2013, 06:09 PM

I think you are wildly overrating Rosario's offensive game. He has a chance to be an impact player in the majors someday but he's not particularly close to being an elite prospect. In no organization would he be near the majors right now.

Thrylos
02-27-2013, 06:20 PM
In no organization would he be near the majors right now.

Maybe in 3 organizations: The Marlins, the Astros and the Metropolitans, esp the last...

mnfanforlife
02-27-2013, 06:21 PM
I think you are wildly overrating Rosario's offensive game. He has a chance to be an impact player in the majors someday but he's not particularly close to being an elite prospect. In no organization would he be near the majors right now.

Can't you see how that is debatable? How is he not elite if he is the #6 prospect in all of the minor leagues at 2B? (by MLB.com) How am I "wildly over-rating" his offense when its clear hitting is his strength?

Your opinion should be noted, but not passed as absolute.

Nick Nelson
02-27-2013, 06:34 PM
Can't you see how that is debatable? How is he not elite if he is the #6 prospect in all of the minor leagues at 2B? (by MLB.com) How am I "wildly over-rating" his offense when its clear hitting is his strength?

The same MLB.com that didn't have him ranked among their top 100 prospects?

He's a nice player and I'm not trying to bash him, but under no definition of the word "elite" would Rosario qualify. He's not on the top 100 lists for MLB.com nor BA. Most don't have him ranked as even a top 5 prospect in the Twins system. Being rated as the sixth-best in the minors at a thin position isn't quite the feat you're making it out to be.

He's a very intriguing prospect with plenty of promise, but he's not the kind of guy who gains consideration -- in any organization -- for an MLB job at age 21 with under 250 games of pro experience.

Seth Stohs
02-27-2013, 06:56 PM
How much does his performance in the winter leagues and WBC affect his standing with Terry Ryan and staff?

Little to none. They liked him a lot the last 2-3 years, and they like him a lot now.

nicksaviking
02-27-2013, 07:02 PM
The same MLB.com that didn't have him ranked among their top 100 prospects?

He's a nice player and I'm not trying to bash him, but under no definition of the word "elite" would Rosario qualify. He's not on the top 100 lists for MLB.com nor BA. Most don't have him ranked as even a top 5 prospect in the Twins system. Being rated as the sixth-best in the minors at a thin position isn't quite the feat you're making it out to be.

He's a very intriguing prospect with plenty of promise, but he's not the kind of guy who gains consideration -- in any organization -- for an MLB job at age 21 with under 250 games of pro experience.

To be fair, he was Keith Law's top 2B. To be more fair, surely several current SS and 3B prospects will end up at 2B. To be super fair, I'm guessing most rankings left him off because they were concerned about the glove not the bat, or they thought it would be in poor taste to claim seven top prospects for one team. To be extra fair, he's never played above low A ball, he hasn't come anywhere close to desreving a Twins uniform with a number that doesn't start with a 9.

Seth Stohs
02-27-2013, 07:06 PM

As Nick said, Rosario wasn't a Top 100 by MLB.com. He also wasn't Top 100 by Baseball America or Top 101 by Baseball Prospectus. So, right now, he's not an "elite" prospect...

If you want to go local, out friend Aaron Gleeman continues to say that Kyle Gibson wasn't an elite prospect before his Tommy John surgery even though he was ranked #35 by Baseball America at the beginning of that season.

Now, I personally think that he should have ranked closer to where Keith Law had him (which I believe was around 65), and I do believe there is a chance that he could be the Twins starting 2B by June of 2014.

Also, remember, he was the Twins 4th round pick, so yes, he went to the GCL and did OK. He then spent the next year at Elizabethton where he put up great numbers with Sano. He then played well at Beloit while learning a new position. The Twins always keep their young players in the Midwest League for the full year, including one Joe Mauer who advanced quite quickly the following season. So, the Twins have moved him up appropriately so far, and I think he can and will move up quickly in 2013. It's also normal for them to promoted several players right after the Florida State League All Star game in June.

Let's see how he does... I'm excited about him, but I've been following prospects for long enough to know that nothing can be assumed about any of them, and they'll get their promotions when they should.

Thrylos
02-27-2013, 07:37 PM
To be more fair, surely several current SS and 3B prospects will end up at 2B. .

Kind of a detail, but not too many 3B prospects end up at 2B. Some end up at 1B or OF corners or DH. That's that.

mnfanforlife
02-27-2013, 07:44 PM
As Nick said, Rosario wasn't a Top 100 by MLB.com. He also wasn't Top 100 by Baseball America or Top 101 by Baseball Prospectus. So, right now, he's not an "elite" prospect...

If you want to go local, out friend Aaron Gleeman continues to say that Kyle Gibson wasn't an elite prospect before his Tommy John surgery even though he was ranked #35 by Baseball America at the beginning of that season.

Now, I personally think that he should have ranked closer to where Keith Law had him (which I believe was around 65), and I do believe there is a chance that he could be the Twins starting 2B by June of 2014.

Also, remember, he was the Twins 4th round pick, so yes, he went to the GCL and did OK. He then spent the next year at Elizabethton where he put up great numbers with Sano. He then played well at Beloit while learning a new position. The Twins always keep their young players in the Midwest League for the full year, including one Joe Mauer who advanced quite quickly the following season. So, the Twins have moved him up appropriately so far, and I think he can and will move up quickly in 2013. It's also normal for them to promoted several players right after the Florida State League All Star game in June.

Let's see how he does... I'm excited about him, but I've been following prospects for long enough to know that nothing can be assumed about any of them, and they'll get their promotions when they should.

Lots of good points here. Well delivered too. I like your opinions on Eddie. In my opinion, Eddie is an elite hitting prospect. His shortened 2012 numbers combined with his winter league stats tell me to believe in what he can do. I don't think he is Mauer-caliber at the plate, but he sure could move quickly if Dozier, et al cant handle it.

kab21
02-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Based on your projections I think everyone is an elite prospect.

mnfanforlife
02-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Based on your projections I think everyone is an elite prospect.

Think what you want. Post what you want. I'll do the same. Try to enjoy your life, and not worry about disappointment too much.

drjim
02-27-2013, 08:43 PM
mnfanlife - how long have you been following prospects? You have very interesting evaluations and expectations.

kab21
02-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Think what you want. Post what you want. I'll do the same. Try to enjoy your life, and not worry about disappointment too much.I'm realistic in my expectations so I don't get disappointed.

nicksaviking
02-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Kind of a detail, but not too many 3B prospects end up at 2B. Some end up at 1B or OF corners or DH. That's that.

I had Jedd Gyorko in mind.

Willihammer
02-27-2013, 08:59 PM
I just realized baseball-reference is posting spring training numbers, including a Opposing Pitcher Quality metric

Eddie Rosario Minor League Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=rosari001edd)

mnfanforlife
02-27-2013, 09:33 PM
I'm realistic in my expectations so I don't get disappointed.

Worm Hunting - Blogs - Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum (http://twinsdaily.com/blogs/mnfanforlife/2566-worm-hunting.html)

mnfanforlife
02-27-2013, 09:35 PM
I am not afraid to be disappointed about any prospect. I just do not fear being wrong, or over-rating anyone. Its a good feeling.

mnfanforlife
02-27-2013, 09:35 PM
mnfanlife - how long have you been following prospects? You have very interesting evaluations and expectations.

I hint at how long I have been following prospects here: Worm Hunting - Blogs - Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum (http://twinsdaily.com/blogs/mnfanforlife/2566-worm-hunting.html)

FrodaddyG
02-27-2013, 10:13 PM
out friend Aaron Gleeman
I knew it.

mnfanforlife
02-27-2013, 10:56 PM
I knew it.

You're so creative and wonderfully pleasant to talk baseball with :)

drjim
02-28-2013, 07:18 AM
I hint at how long I have been following prospects here: Worm Hunting - Blogs - Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum (http://twinsdaily.com/blogs/mnfanforlife/2566-worm-hunting.html)

If your blog is as informative as the rest of your takes on this site I'll pass.

Don't Feed the Greed Guy
02-28-2013, 07:43 AM
How about this for a preposterous prediction? Who was thelast Twins two-bagger to win a World Championship and a Rookie of the Year? In2015 we will see, in Edie Rosario, the Second Coming of Chuck Knoblauch!

Don't Feed the Greed Guy
02-28-2013, 08:00 AM
I just realized baseball-reference is posting spring training numbers, including a Opposing Pitcher Quality metric

Eddie Rosario Minor League Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=rosari001edd)

Good link. That means Rosario went 5 for 8 against AA to AAA level pitchers. A good sign. Hope Springs Eternal. :o

mike wants wins
02-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Again, as always, I agree with Seth. A very good year for him would be AA for the last couple months of the season, followed by at least a month or two in AAA in 2014.....but that is the upside if the path I believe. I think a September call up in 2014 is likelyish....with 2015 as the timeframe he is your regular second baseman.

mnfanforlife
02-28-2013, 10:22 AM
How about this for a preposterous prediction? Who was thelast Twins two-bagger to win a World Championship and a Rookie of the Year? In2015 we will see, in Edie Rosario, the Second Coming of Chuck Knoblauch!

Haha! Knoblauch was my favorite player growing up. And he was All-League for several years with the Twins. Would love to see that success happen for Eddie.

mnfanforlife
02-28-2013, 10:23 AM
Again, as always, I agree with Seth. A very good year for him would be AA for the last couple months of the season, followed by at least a month or two in AAA in 2014.....but that is the upside if the path I believe. I think a September call up in 2014 is likelyish....with 2015 as the timeframe he is your regular second baseman.

Yep, in the original post....I disclaimed that we wont see Eddie this year....But I still think it would be fun!

Nick Nelson
02-28-2013, 10:58 AM
A lot of you folks are going to be very disappointed when Rosario struggles a bit in Ft. Myers. The FSL is a tough league for a young and inexperienced kid whose plate discipline isn’t great. I’d be surprised if he sees New Britain this year. If not, it certainly wouldn’t mean that he’s off track or failing as a prospect. I’m just shocked at the expectations being put forth. He’s played less than 100 games above rookie ball! I know this is kind of a “just-for-fun” thread but someone needs to inject a bit of reality into these starry-eyed predictions of greatness.

mnfanforlife
02-28-2013, 11:28 AM
A lot of you folks are going to be very disappointed when Rosario struggles a bit in Ft. Myers. The FSL is a tough league for a young and inexperienced kid whose plate discipline isn’t great. I’d be surprised if he sees New Britain this year. If not, it certainly wouldn’t mean that he’s off track or failing as a prospect. I’m just shocked at the expectations being put forth. He’s played less than 100 games above rookie ball! I know this is kind of a “just-for-fun” thread but someone needs to inject a bit of reality into these starry-eyed predictions of greatness.

Well, maybe. I am well aware what the FSL does to many a hitter's statistics. So a dip in production would not surprise me. Why are you so worried about people being disappointed? Is it your duty to protect Twins fans from being disappointed? If so, that's cool. I guess?

I am sorry if you're shocked at the "expectations being put forth"...but what exact expectations are you referring to?

And yes, this is completely "just for fun"....not just "kind of" for fun. So try to enjoy the differences of opinion rather than trying to get everyone to think just like you. I appreciate your level-headedness, and I thank you for your response in advance.

TheLeviathan
02-28-2013, 11:34 AM
This has gotta be a bit.

Gene Larkin Fan Club
02-28-2013, 02:46 PM
mnfanforlife, I hope you don't take my disagreeing with your opinion as an attack that requires a brusque response. None of my posts were meant to cause you to become angry, upset or annoyed. I actually really appreciate your generating a fun discussion. I'm just having trouble understanding your logic. I get that the Twins have holes at the Major League level, but don't agree that they should fast-track someone based on need with the big club. If that player proves to be ready, then by all means, move him! Otherwise, I guess I'd rather use a more conservative approach to ensure proper development. I think we all hope that Rosario's skills catch up with his talent and I'd love for that to happen sooner rather than later. Time will tell.

Thanks for helping me get fired up for the season!

mnfanforlife
02-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Time will tell.

My thoughts exactly.

diehardtwinsfan
02-28-2013, 06:19 PM
I'm beginning to think we need to resurrect the BYTO downs forum.

birdwatcher
02-28-2013, 07:14 PM
no need to get defensive, mnfanife. I think most commenters have been rather carefu not to trash you. We like your optimism! But you might want to take note that an overwhelming number of us believe you to be wildly optimistic about Rosario, and people have supported their views quite well, don't you think?

But here's some further reason for optimism: Mackey interviewed Terry Ryan thyis afternoon. Ryan said he though the (main) reason Rosario wasn't a top 100 guy was because he only had about 50 AB's last year, so he didn't have "the numbers". He then talked about Rosario's transition, how he's had some time with Carew this spring, and how the field staff already considers his 2B play to be "serviceable". Ryan certainly left the impression that he's likely to stay at 2B, which would be huge.

Seth Stohs
02-28-2013, 07:46 PM
But here's some further reason for optimism: Mackey interviewed Terry Ryan thyis afternoon. Ryan said he though the (main) reason Rosario wasn't a top 100 guy was because he only had about 50 AB's last year, so he didn't have "the numbers". He then talked about Rosario's transition, how he's had some time with Carew this spring, and how the field staff already considers his 2B play to be "serviceable". Ryan certainly left the impression that he's likely to stay at 2B, which would be huge.

That's not quite what he said... He pointed out that Rosario missed more than a month (about 6 weeks) of last season so his season-ending numbers don't compare to some of the guys ahead of him. Part of it is his move to 2B, but Ryan said that he's made great strides with the glove and they are optimistic.

mnfanforlife
02-28-2013, 08:34 PM
We all know Rosario wont have a shot at MLB until 2014 at the earliest. In fact, I predicted this about Eddie last November:

4. Eddie Rosario - will play an entire season in Ft. Myers (A+) with his buddy Sano while they both learn how to play defense.. Will hit enough for fans to scream for his call-up in September. But that wont happen. He will start 2014 in AA and 2015 in AAA if the front office has its way. His Miracle numbers I project: .285-.310 avg (tough league for hitters), 10-15 HR's, 70-85 RBI's, 10-20 SB's....solid player.

Again, I was well aware Rosario would not be playing in MN this year. Have been for quite some time. Thank you all for posting.

mnfanforlife
02-28-2013, 08:35 PM
See the full article: How fast can any of these "top" prospects move up to Minny?? - Blogs - Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum (http://twinsdaily.com/blogs/mnfanforlife/2115-how-fast-can-any-these-top-prospects-move-up-minny.html)

kab21
02-28-2013, 09:09 PM
We all know Rosario wont have a shot at MLB until 2014 at the earliest. In fact, I predicted this about Eddie last November:

4. Eddie Rosario - will play an entire season in Ft. Myers (A+) with his buddy Sano while they both learn how to play defense.. Will hit enough for fans to scream for his call-up in September. But that wont happen. He will start 2014 in AA and 2015 in AAA if the front office has its way. His Miracle numbers I project: .285-.310 avg (tough league for hitters), 10-15 HR's, 70-85 RBI's, 10-20 SB's....solid player.

Again, I was well aware Rosario would not be playing in MN this year. Have been for quite some time. Thank you all for posting.

It's strange that seem to be aware of this yet think that he could handle the MLB offensively this year.

In my opinion, Carrol is a bench guy, and Florimon and Escobar are AAA material. Eddie is MLB material. Dozier might be, but he sure didn't look like it during his extended playing time with MN last year.

Obviously we won't see Eddie next year in Minnesota. But it sure would be more fun than seeing these other posers.

If you continue to post nonsense you should expect to be called on it. Rosario would get absolutely destroyed against MLB pitching right now. Not even his bat is ready. It would be absolutely depressing to watch Rosario in the MLB this year.

TheLeviathan
02-28-2013, 09:35 PM
If you continue to post nonsense you should expect to be called on it. Rosario would get absolutely destroyed against MLB pitching right now. Not even his bat is ready. It would be absolutely depressing to watch Rosario in the MLB this year.

I'm incredibly curious if there is a meaningful difference between this and "makes no sense". But yeah, what kab said.

I'm really hoping we see Rosario advance quickly.....through our minor league system where he belongs. He's one of the guys I'm most excited about long-term for this team.

mnfanforlife
02-28-2013, 09:56 PM

I stand by my comments you re-posted. I respect your opinion. I also agree completely with TheLeviathan's opinion. Thank you for posting.

Don't Feed the Greed Guy
02-28-2013, 10:49 PM
The last time a Twins Second Baseman jumped all the way from Single A to the Big Show? 1967, when an obscure fellow named Rodney Cline Carew debuted with parent club and played 134 games at 2b. We all know how much of a disaster that was (All Star & Rookie of the Year). Eddie Rosario wouldn't have a chance...
Rod Carew Minor League Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=carew-001rod)

mnfanforlife
02-28-2013, 10:54 PM
I really like Eddie. I wont stop you from dreaming big on him...could be a very special MLB player by 2014.

glunn
02-28-2013, 10:58 PM
I'm incredibly curious if there is a meaningful difference between this and "makes no sense".

I think that "nonsense" may be slightly more insulting than "makes no sense", but neither phraseology contributes to respectful debate. A preferred response would be "makes no sense to me because..." If we argue with logic instead of insults, then TD will have more "meat" and less gristle.

birdwatcher
03-01-2013, 12:37 PM
That's not quite what he said... He pointed out that Rosario missed more than a month (about 6 weeks) of last season so his season-ending numbers don't compare to some of the guys ahead of him. Part of it is his move to 2B, but Ryan said that he's made great strides with the glove and they are optimistic.
I believe what I wrote is accurate, Seth. Ryan specifically mentioned the number of ABs as a factor in why Rosario didn't receive more top prospect consideration, and he used the word "serviceable" to describe Rosario's 2B play. I'm not sure how your version differs from mine, other than you've stated it better, without all the misspellings.

nicksaviking
03-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Not even his bat is ready. It would be absolutely depressing to watch Rosario in the MLB this year.

He's not ready, but playing devils advocate: Florimon is supposedly ready (hey take it up with Ryan and Gardy, not my call!). Say he struggles and they send him down, but Danny Santana has already gotten a promotion to Rochester so they move Florimon to New Britain. Let's also say at that time Rosario also gets bumped to New Britain. Which of those two hits better in AA? I don't think it's close, Rosario would put up much stronger numbers. I doubt Rosario's bat is as Florimon-like as you might think.

To be clear, he's not ready, but considering what this team has expected from it's middle infielders over most of the last two decades, he's not nearly as far away as some people on this board seem to think.

drjim
03-01-2013, 06:56 PM
The last time a Twins Second Baseman jumped all the way from Single A to the Big Show? 1967, when an obscure fellow named Rodney Cline Carew debuted with parent club and played 134 games at 2b. We all know how much of a disaster that was (All Star & Rookie of the Year). Eddie Rosario wouldn't have a chance...
Rod Carew Minor League Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=carew-001rod)

So now we are comparing Rosario to one of the best pure hitters who ever lived while simultaneously not allowing for any differences in baseball in the past 45 years?

drjim
03-01-2013, 06:57 PM

I predict some clamoring to move Rosario to AA quicker than the Twins will move him but I would hope no one confuses success in Hi A with the potential to jump right to the majors.

SpiritofVodkaDave
03-01-2013, 07:06 PM
So now we are comparing Rosario to one of the best pure hitters who ever lived while simultaneously not allowing for any differences in baseball in the past 45 years?
At this point it's not even worth arguing with people who think he could "hack it" this year in the MLB.

It was eight! At bats.

snepp
03-01-2013, 07:13 PM
It was eight! At bats.

Yeah, but they were eight awesome at-bats.

twinsnorth49
03-01-2013, 09:33 PM

We've officially jumped the shark.

FrodaddyG
03-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Don't forget he's also been comped to Hank Aaron. So basically, Rosario can be the new all-time home run king while also winning numerous batting titles.

mnfanforlife
03-02-2013, 03:13 AM
funny stuff