PDA

View Full Version : Potential 2013 Twins Draft Pick: Tom Windle

Jeremy Nygaard
02-22-2013, 07:48 PM
Though Windle, a lefty, isn't considered to be a top pick, the local product is likely to be off the board by the end of Round 1.

Game Log:
2/15 vs #2 UCLA - 4 IP, 3 H, 2 BB, 3 K, WP, 5:1 FO:GO (ND) (*When you beat the #2 team at their place, people recognize)
2/22 vs Western Michigan - 5.2 IP, 3 H, 2 BB, 4 K, HBP, 8:3 GO/FO. 78 pitches, 51 strikes. (Win, 1-0) (*Another solid performance)
3/1 vs Dartmouth - 4.1 IP, 9 H, 6 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 3 WP(!). 79/49. (Loss, 1-1) (*Not a good performance, the head-to-head with Manaea is going to be big)
3/8 vs W. Illinois - 9 IP, BB, 8 K, WP. 94/60. (Win, 2-1) (*Obviously a huge performance, though next week's game will be much more heavily scouted)
3/15 vs Indiana St - 9 IP, 4 H, 2 R, ER, BB, K, 2 HBP. 114/74. (Loss, 2-2)
3/22 vs Texas - 9 IP, 5 H, ER, 12 K, 9:6 FO:GO, 119/83. (Win, 3-2)
3/29 vs Michigan - 9 IP, 4 H, ER, BB, 13 K, 7:6 FO:GO, WP, Balk. (Win, 4-2)
4/5 vs Ohio - 5 IP, 2 H, 5 K, 56/40. (Win, 5-2)
4/12 vs Northwestern - 5 IP, 7 H, ER, 5 BB, 7 K, 2 WP, Balk, 113/69. (No decision)

*This post will be updated throughout the season. Please link game stories or other related Windle-themed posts below.

Seth Stohs
02-22-2013, 08:23 PM
Windle probably isn't a guy to be considered at #4, but could he possibly fall to the Twins in the 2nd round now that there aren't as many compensation picks? Secondly, he's a Gopher, and as Twins fans, I think it's important to be supportive of the local college team. The Twins seem to have a good relationship with the Gophers and have selected/signed several players from the Gophers (Perkins, Hanson, Pettersen, Knudson, De Vries, Decker, etc.).

WIndle is the Gophers Friday night starter and on March 15, he should get the start at the Metrodome against Indiana State and Sean Manaea.

Seth Stohs
02-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Check out this video on Window from Bullpen Banter. Lanky lefty with a FB at 91-92 and a slider at 83. Pretty impressive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzAP2LQuKF0

gunnarthor
02-23-2013, 10:15 AM
I think he'll be gone by #43. It'll be interesting to see who might be there at 43. Minor league ball suggested (http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/2/22/4013450/2013-mlb-draft-top-100-draft-prospects) that someone like Marco Gonzales might be available around there. And there are a lot of HS bats for that spot, too.

Jeremy Nygaard
02-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Windle probably isn't a guy to be considered at #4, but could he possibly fall to the Twins in the 2nd round now that there aren't as many compensation picks? Secondly, he's a Gopher, and as Twins fans, I think it's important to be supportive of the local college team.

I think he'll be gone by #43. It'll be interesting to see who might be there at 43. Minor league ball suggested (http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/2/22/4013450/2013-mlb-draft-top-100-draft-prospects) that someone like Marco Gonzales might be available around there. And there are a lot of HS bats for that spot, too.

With Windle's strikeout numbers, he could absolutely drop. Gunnarthor's link at minorleagueball has him ranked #58 because of his lack of an out pitch. But I think what the Twins do at #4 will somewhat dictate what they do at #43 as well. If they go Appel at #4, they probably take the college senior they like the most (GT's P Buck Farmer?), if they go college lefty at #4 (Manaea), would they do it again at #43? If I had to guess, I'd say no... but that's the fun of the draft. Regardless, if Windle is available at #43, there will be mutual interest.

Seth Stohs
02-26-2013, 04:40 PM
For subscribers, Baseball America's Aaron Fitt wrote an article on Windle:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/college/on-campus/2013/2614785.html

righty8383
02-26-2013, 05:05 PM
Hey Seth, I'm not a subscriber. Could you be a trooper and copy/paste the whole thing for me? Thanks;)

lightfoot789
02-26-2013, 05:44 PM
I'd rather have Chris Anderson (Lino Lakes, MN) via Jacksonville University. He was a 20th round pick out of high school and has stepped his game up this year as a proven strikeout pitcher. He was also named Mr. Baseball, Gatorade Player of the Year, and Louisville Slugger Player of the Year for the state of Minnesota in 2010. Hometown Product - He is my 2nd Round Player to Watch for Twins
He has a 1.29 ERA and 22 Strikeouts in 14 innings to begin his junior season. 6'4 / 225 lbs

Kwak
02-26-2013, 06:14 PM
Don't pick a hometown guy--judgement is clouded. Mauer is all the "homer" Twins fans need, plus they have Perkins for another slice of home cookin`.

ashburyjohn
02-26-2013, 06:34 PM
*This post will be updated throughout the season. Please link game stories or other related Windle-themed posts below.

Last year TwinsDaily introduced Adopt-a-Prospect, a feature I assume will carry over this year. Would there be any value in doing something similar for draft prospects? Each of us pick someone and keep tabs on them during the remainder of their college/HS seasons? Maybe it's too late this year, but something for next year.

ashburyjohn
02-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Hey Seth, I'm not a subscriber. Could you be a trooper and copy/paste the whole thing for me? Thanks;)

I think you mean "trouper". A trooper is the guy who'll come arrest Seth for the copyright violation. :)

/ which, I realize, is the gist of your joke

Jeremy Nygaard
03-01-2013, 10:17 PM
I mentioned Anderson on my initial draft board. And I agree. He was also rock-solid today.

Jeremy Nygaard
03-01-2013, 10:21 PM
Last year TwinsDaily introduced Adopt-a-Prospect, a feature I assume will carry over this year. Would there be any value in doing something similar for draft prospects? Each of us pick someone and keep tabs on them during the remainder of their college/HS seasons? Maybe it's too late this year, but something for next year.

I don't know that it would be worth the time the collection of us would put into it. Even if we covered 30 guys, the reality is that one (maybe 2) would end up being Twins. My hope is that I can get enough of a pulse of what the Twins plan to do that I can point readers to guys that may be of interest. Or have enough information at my disposal that after the draft, you can get an idea of who the guy is.

With that being said, feel free to start a thread on any potential draftee. I'll offer anything information that I can.

Jeremy Nygaard
03-01-2013, 10:24 PM
Not a good day for Tom Windle today.

Pierre K.
03-02-2013, 04:11 AM
Hope the Twins don't pass on Chris Anderson. This year Chris is on a mission. Beat TCU last night going the distance with 12K's. So far in his 3 starts he's pitched 23 innings, striking out 35. Fastball at 96 with consistency at 92 to 94. He's now being talked about as a possible first rounder.

lightfoot789
03-02-2013, 06:47 AM
Anderson had 13 K's yesterday vs TCU and threw 138 pitches. At 6'5 - 230 lbs. He is showing MLB scouts that his frame is built for durability. [1.17 ERA / 35 K's / 4 BB's this season]

I heard teams didn't know whether to draft him (Anderson) as a pitcher or position player when he came out of high school - and that's part of why he slipped to 20th round. He hit .437 in high school with 6 HRs.

diehardtwinsfan
03-02-2013, 07:49 AM
Anderson had 13 K's yesterday vs TCU and threw 138 pitches. At 6'5 - 230 lbs. He is showing MLB scouts that his frame is built for durability. [1.17 ERA / 35 K's / 4 BB's this season]

I heard teams didn't know whether to draft him (Anderson) as a pitcher or position player when he came out of high school - and that's part of why he slipped to 20th round. He hit .437 in high school with 6 HRs.

wow... getting abused on the pitch counts a but, but if he keeps that up, he'll get drafted high.

lightfoot789
03-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Jacksonville takes a 5-3 win over TCU | TCU 360 (http://www.tcu360.com/baseball/2013/03/17351.jacksonville-takes-5-3-win-over-tcu)
TCU article mentioning Anderson
"Jacksonville starter Chris Anderson pitched a complete game, allowing three runs on seven hits and walking one. He struck out 13 Horned Frogs. TCU head coach Jim Schlossnagle said Wednesday he thought Anderson might be the hardest thrower the team has seen this season."

Pierre K.
03-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Hi lightfoot789 -

Chris is currently 6' 4" at 225 and was drafted in round 35 by the Cubs in 2010. I don't know all the reasoning for the 35 pick but the biggest was that Chris was very up front with all scouts with respect to signing. He wanted a college education and the chance to work with one of the best pitching coaches in the country (Montez) rather than sign for little money and linger in the minors. They were told it would take big money to pass on that opportunity (hence, dropping in the draft). I think he made the wise decision.

Now Whitson & Appel, their choice boggles the mind!!

lightfoot789
03-03-2013, 12:27 AM
My Bad on the size and round. Bottom line is he made the right choice and should go very high this June. He has improved each year.

FrodaddyG
03-03-2013, 12:37 AM
So, anyway, TOM WINDLE.

cmb0252
03-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Never really been impressed by Windle but as a college arm who pitches for the gophers I understand why we are talking about him. If he proves he can be a safe/quick to the bigs lefty I don't see him making it to the second round. If he doesn't prove those things there is no reason to draft him IMO. While the draft is weak in college players there is an abundance of HS LHPers I would love to see the Twins take a chance on in the second round.

Jeremy Nygaard
03-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Windle threw a no-hitter today. Update tomorrow.

Seth Stohs
03-09-2013, 07:52 AM
In all likelihood, it's likely that Windle has already been drafted when the Twins pick in the 2nd round. Lots of season left and many more scouts will see him, but this would sure be a nice 2nd round pick.

Jeremy Nygaard
03-09-2013, 08:43 AM
Highlights from last night's no-no. (A hit changed to an error in the 6th inning.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqSYdR1znBs

greengoblinrulz
03-09-2013, 09:17 AM
Ive liked mymlbdraft.com over years for research, and they dont have Winddle goin in the first round yet.....so possibly

Pierre K.
03-11-2013, 12:22 AM
I haven't followed Tom's college career but I saw him plenty in HS. He had all the tools then, and was very tough to beat. Being a lefty with that talent will increase his value. The NH shows that he is also putting it all together his Jr. season. I think it's pretty cool that we have hometown guys that are excelling in sports.

Jeremy Nygaard
03-16-2013, 07:06 AM
Windle's first inning from last night...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfJ-jQCTJOE

Seth Stohs
03-16-2013, 10:26 AM
90-94 on the fastball, primarily at 91. Looks like a good slider at 81-82. Works fast. Throws strikes. Looks like a pretty decent pitcher!

maxisagod
03-16-2013, 10:47 AM
The fun part of that game is being able to directly compare two top talented LHP with each other. In most college or even low A games, the real talent stands out and it's hard to gauge 'how' good a guy is compared to other top players. In this case Manaea was a step (or a 1/2 a round to a round) better than Windle. One of the ways Windle was better than Manaea though, was Tom did a better job fielding his postion. After he throws a pitch, Manaea back faces the batter, leaving it up to 3B, SS, and 2B to charge in on lightly hit balls. This lead to a couple of Gophers getting infield singles. Windle's follow thru leaves him facing the batter and he was able to make a few hard plays on bunts or swinging bunts. That was great to see.

Jeremy Nygaard
03-24-2013, 08:17 PM
Windle got it done again. I'm fairly certain some team drafting late in the first round will take Windle and get a very solid lefty that will fill nicely into the middle of their big-league rotation within a couple of years.

Windle fits the Scott Diamond/Glen Perkins/Kentucky lefthanders profile the Twins have added over the last handful of years.

cmb0252
03-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Windle is killing it. Man, there are a ton of good LHPers in this draft. I know we talk about windle because he is from MN but there are going to be plenty of solid LHPers (HS or college) in the second round.

Seth Stohs
03-26-2013, 08:31 AM
GopherSports.com put their spotlight on the talented left-hander with a very good Q&A:

Gopher Spotlight: Left-handed Pitcher Tom Windle - GOPHERSPORTS.COM - The Official Athletic Site of the Minnesota Gophers (http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/032513aab.html)

diehardtwinsfan
03-26-2013, 02:55 PM
I'm not sure if he will go in the first round, but I suspect he gets taken in the suplemental round... really hoping he's there at 2.4.

Pierre K.
03-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Mlb.com currently ranks Windle at 28. Click link to see video of him and all the top prospects. NOTE: Select (50 Draft)

2013 Prospect Watch | MLB.com: News (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2013/)

cmb0252
03-27-2013, 10:19 PM
While Windle has most likely pitched himself into the first round I really don't mind. After wimmers I'm not really a fan of "safe" back of the rotation guys. While people around here love the fact he is from Minnesota in reality that doesn't make him a better prospect. I rather take a shot on clarkins (might go in top 15 if he keeps pitching well), krooks, or gonsalves. Upside, upside, upside!

diehardtwinsfan
03-28-2013, 10:19 AM
I missed the part where Windle was low upside. He's a lefty that can hit mid 90s. He gets his Ks and the walks are reduced. He's not in the Manea/Anderson/Appel/Gray category, but he isn't that far off from them either. I'm not sure I'd call him a back of the rotation guy. His career will likely be a career#3 with some seasons where he puts up #2 type numbers. That's a great pick at numbrer 2 if he's there.

cmb0252
03-28-2013, 12:20 PM
Last time I checked pitchers that have three solid-average pitches, no above average/plus pitch, normally profile as 3/4/5s. Maybe I was harsh saying back of the rotation because he is a lefty but I see being a #3 as his ceiling. Lots of college guys who dont profile to be front of the rotation pitchers K alot of guys. Wimmers k'd a ton of guys and still profiled as a #4.

Is getting a #3 in the second round a bad thing? Heck no! I would welcome Windle to the Twins with open arms. I was just saying personally I prefer higher upside, higher bust potential, guys. In the end it most likely wont matter anyways because if Windle keeps pitching the way he does he wont make it out of the first round.

Jeremy Nygaard
03-28-2013, 12:36 PM
I agree, Windle would be a welcome addition to the organization if he's around in the 2nd round. But it's true, he's not real projectable. He relies on his command and doesn't miss a lot of bats. Very Scott Diamond-ish, if you will. A great guy to have on the staff, but not someone a contending team will pitch as their #1... not that there's anything wrong with that!

cmb0252
04-11-2013, 01:05 PM
From Callis' April 10th chat about the Twins and windle.

When the Twins draft at 43, will Tom Windle be worthy of that pick?
Jim Callis: Yes, but may not last that long.

cmb0252
04-18-2013, 01:52 PM
Keith Law released his new top 50 list today and I was surprised to see Windle absent. Law had him ranked #40 on his last list. Everything else I have read about Widdle has him moving up so I'm not sure why Law dropped him. I hope to make his chat tomorrow and ask.

maxisagod
04-18-2013, 10:33 PM
That's a good question. I'm guessing Law has been talking to scouts that have different Favorites. In his last Podcast, he talked about people in the industry seeing the talent gel together from 20-60. Which means every teams top 100 list could look very different. Which might be good news for the Twins, who could get a a guy they liked in the 1st round in the 2nd. Bad news for Windle who could drop in a college pitcher heavy draft.

righty8383
04-19-2013, 12:43 PM
I still doubt Windle is there at 43. Keith Law favors upside when he does these rankings. While Windle profiles as a reliable starter with a high probability of panning out, his upside is probably a #4 starter

cmb0252
04-19-2013, 01:28 PM
Some one asked my Windle question for me.
Isee Tom Widdle isn't on your current top 50, has his stock fallen or have people passed him?
Klaw (2:22 PM)

It's Windle, and having heard reports about his delivery becoming more violent and requiring more effort, I dropped him off the top 50. That ranking is my own evaluation, based on what I've seen, on video I've received, and on input from scouts and execs on the players. My goal every year is to get that list to be as accurate as possible by draft day. A player moving around doesn't mean he's changed so much as that I've gained more information or insight.

Klaw (2:22 PM)

That's especially true when I haven't seen a player live, by the way.

diehardtwinsfan
04-19-2013, 05:06 PM
I still doubt Windle is there at 43. Keith Law favors upside when he does these rankings. While Windle profiles as a reliable starter with a high probability of panning out, his upside is probably a #4 starter

He gets enough Ks that I'd think his ceiling might be a bit higher than that, but I'll say this, I'd be thrilled if the Twins got him at 2.

cmb0252
04-19-2013, 05:20 PM
I feel his ceiling is a #3 at best. While I feel Windle would be good value in the second round I still prefer a higher upside high school arm.

cmb0252
04-29-2013, 02:30 PM
Clunker by Windle this weekend.
8/5 K/BB, 7.1 innings, 5 hits, 6 ER.

cmb0252
05-01-2013, 01:51 PM
This isn't about Mr.Windle but his team mate from Jim Callis' weekly chat:

Any reports in DJ Snelton and where he could be drafted?
Jim Callis: I think Snelton, a Minnesota LHP, he’ll go in the 5th-10th round range. He strained his elbow and got a late start to the season, but he’s a 6-foot-7 lefty who gets good extension in his delivery. He can touch 95 mph, throws a decent slider and changeup. Scouts don’t love his arm action.

In Keith Law's last draft board update he had Snelton in the other prospects to know section.

cmb0252
05-10-2013, 02:21 PM
For all those people want the Twins to draft Windle. From BA's chat yesterday

Gophers LHP Tom Windle- Sandwich round guy?
Jim Callis: Yes, sandwich or second round. Solid fastball and plus slider. There’s some debate on his delivery and athleticism, and whether he’s better as a starter or reliever, but it’s defintely a quality lefty arm.

And Law's chat today:
Tom Windle in the first round? Possible?
Klaw (1:28 PM)

Possible, unlikely. Better college arms available.

nicksaviking
05-10-2013, 02:33 PM
I feel his ceiling is a #3 at best. While I feel Windle would be good value in the second round I still prefer a higher upside high school arm.

Agreed, and maybe I'm wrong, but he just doesn't seem to have much upside. The Twins drafted Berrios in that spot last year. The Astros later picked McCullers and even Bard the next pick by the Twins both seem to have upside. I can't say I've seen him pitch, but the numbers, the conference and the stats all seem to point to a "servicable" lable for Windle.