PDA

View Full Version : Potential 2013 Twins Draft Pick: Sean Manaea

Jeremy Nygaard
02-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Manaea is a long, projectable lefty from Indiana State who tore up the Cape Cod League last year to rocket his way up draft boards. Though he's struggled with command - repeating his delivery and keeping his release point consistent - he is expected to go off the board in the first handful of picks.

Perfect Game Draft Profile (http://www.perfectgame.org/articles/View.aspx?article=7900) (subscription required)

In Sean Manaea’s case, the Cape and his performance there has lined him up as the favorite to be the No. 1 overall pick in the June draft.

Game Log:
2/15 vs IPFW - 4 IP, 4 H, R, ER, 3 BB, 6 K. (Loss, 0-1) (*Ranked 1B on initial draft board)
2/22 vs College of Charleston - 6 IP, H, 2 BB, 10 K, WP. 97 pitchers (ND, 0-1) (*Improved stock)
3/9 vs Mercer - 6 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 8 K, HBP. 97 pitches/63 strikes. (Win, 1-1)
3/15 vs Minnesota - 9 IP, 6 H, R, 0 ER, BB, 9 K, HBP. 111 pitches/87 strikes. (Win, 2-1)
3/22 vs S. Illinois - 7 IP, 3 H, 2 BB, 8 K, 2 WP, HBP, Balk. 100/68. (Win, 3-1)
3/29 vs Missouri St - 6.1 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 5 K, 114/71. (Loss, 3-2)
4/7 vs Wichita St - 6 IP, 5 H, 9 K, 92/65. (Win, 4-2)
4/13 vs Creighton - 6.2 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 4 BB, 8 K, 95/60. (Win, 5-2)

*This post will be updated throughout the season. Please link game stories or other related Manaea-themed posts below.

Jeremy Nygaard
02-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Indiana State Recap (http://www.gosycamores.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=65128&SPID=7256&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=206430661&DB_OEM_ID=15200)

IPFW Recap (http://www.gomastodons.com/news/2013/2/15/BB_0215131530.aspx)

Kiley McDaniel Tweet (https://twitter.com/kileymcd/statuses/302585516644265984)

Jeremy Nygaard
02-22-2013, 05:29 PM
Links from 2/22 game:

Indiana State Recap (http://www.gosycamores.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=65128&SPID=7256&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=206480795&DB_OEM_ID=15200)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DWsBflcyLw

mediocre
02-22-2013, 05:33 PM
I'd really like to get this guy and would definitely be excited if he became a Twin, but I'd be lying if I said his delivery doesn't scare the bejeezus out of me. Maybe I'm worrying too much but definitely YouTube the guy to see what I'm talking about. Could have some potential arm issues in the future...

On the other hand, if he can stay healthy, Manaea would fit in well with our upcoming crop of talented pitchers. Plus, he's lefthanded, something we are lacking in our system, it seems. A future rotation of Meyer/Manaea/Gibson/May/Worley/Diamond/etc. is fun to think about...

East Coast Twin
02-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Here's four minutes of video of him pitching in the Cape Cod League.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sKZIVfIoCw

Jeremy Nygaard
02-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Parker? Parker?

PARKER?!

Thrylos
02-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Check him tip the pitches with his back leg ;) Look at when the back leg comes up vis-a-vis his shoulder crossing and how high the foot gets, and look at what pitches he is throwing

Interesting.

Seth Stohs
02-22-2013, 06:24 PM
This is great. I really like this and think it will be fun to update.

Also, those near the Metrodome, Indiana State will be playing a series against the Gophers March 15-17... A matchup of Manaea vs Windle could be fun to watch on Friday night.

Kwak
02-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Problem is--he will have already been selected by the time it's the Twins' turn in the draft.

Jeremy Nygaard
02-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Problem is--he will have already been selected by the time it's the Twins' turn in the draft.

We would have said the same thing about Appel at this time last year.

diehardtwinsfan
02-22-2013, 09:01 PM
This makes me wish Buxton didn't sign so the Twins would be picking 3 and 5...

Physics Guy
02-23-2013, 10:15 AM
This makes me wish Buxton didn't sign so the Twins would be picking 3 and 5...

Are you serious? Buxton is a top 25 prospect by nearly all accounts. Picking 3 and 5 in what is considered to be a down year would not be better.

diehardtwinsfan
02-23-2013, 03:37 PM
Are you serious? Buxton is a top 25 prospect by nearly all accounts. Picking 3 and 5 in what is considered to be a down year would not be better.

The only reason Buxton is top 25 is because people get all googley eyed over tools. Unless he hits like Babe Ruth, his stock is almost sure to fall as everyone will be enfatuated with the next big thing that comes along...

Buxton is no Bryce Harper. He's Aaron Hicks part 2 with perhaps slightly better tools. Not a bad prospect by any means, but not worth the attention people give him around these parts.

Jeremy Nygaard
02-23-2013, 04:02 PM
If Buxton was eligible for this draft, he would be gone before the Twins pick. So the Twins would end up with two guys held in lesser regard than Buxton... I'd take Buxton and 2013 #4 over 2013 #3 and #5, without a doubt.

Other organizations may disagree, but the scout who signed Buxton says he's got almost as many tools (5) as Meadows and Frazier do combined (6), and the Twins would likely take one of those two with that #5 pick. Of course, it's all on projection... and many times, projections are wrong.

In my estimation, Buxton has the highest-ceiling of any Twins prospect. Ever.

(Didn't realize this was the Manaea thread when I posted it... I'm make sure to take my Buxton discussion to another board.)

Thrylos
02-23-2013, 04:16 PM
In my estimation, Buxton has the highest-ceiling of any Twins prospect. Ever.

Ever is a big world for an organization with an 112 year history and one that produced several home-grown Hall of Famers ;)

Jeremy Nygaard
02-23-2013, 04:36 PM
Twins. 50 some years. And yes it is.

Thrylos
02-23-2013, 04:55 PM
Twins. 50 some years. And yes it is.

Ok, the Minnesotans then, and I am leaving the Ps out.
Arguably, he does not even have the highest ceiling among the current Twins prospects... (unless he cracks 20 HRs a season at some point)
Comparing him to Killebrew, Carew, Puckett or even Mauer is tough. And as far as ceiling goes, Hrbek's probably was way up there as well.

Kwak
02-23-2013, 05:28 PM
you failed to mention Oliva too.

Thrylos
02-23-2013, 06:17 PM
you failed to mention Oliva too.

Indeed. Mea Culpa
I should probably included Knoblauch as well, with whom he shares a lot of similarities, unless he gets his power going.

Jeremy Nygaard
02-23-2013, 06:44 PM
Its all "arguable". He could fall completely on his face, sure.

I'm not sure why you continue to talk about his lack of power. He didn't hit them as a high school senior, I get that. He did finish 2nd in the HR Derby at the UA game, not a game situation but still "power". He also hit 4 HRs in 88 at-bats in the GCL. Sano had 4 in 148 at-bats in the GCL in 2010. (Arcia had 5 in 167 at-bats at 18.) I get that Sano was a year younger, but that's his major tool. You can point to small sample-sizes. To which I would refer you back to the small sample size that you're basing this argument on. Buxton is a legit five-tool prospect. He's also only 19. Let's dream on him a little bit and continue this discussion on the Buxton thread (http://www.twinsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=5153).

In fairness, I didn't put Buxton #1 on my own prospect list because he's so far away from his ceiling. I think he can be a 30/30 guy that plays plus-plus D with a plus-plus arm. That's a ceiling I wouldn't have put on anyone in my lifetime as a Twins fan. Will he be that guy? Who knows...

Seth Stohs
02-23-2013, 07:41 PM
1.) Let's keep the Buxton talk on a Buxton threads, not the Manaea thread.
2.) I think it's very fair to say that he be called one of the great "prospects" in the organization. He's already a BA Top 10... How many Twins prospects have ranked that high. Mauer was #1 a couple of times. Morneau was top 10. Sano is obviously #9 this year. Puckett was never a top prospect. Knoblauch was a good prospect who moved up quickly, but he wouldn't have been a Top 10 prospect. No one is saying that Buxton WILL be a Hall of Famer. We don't even know if he will get to the big leagues for sure. But when it comes to the things that makes a "prospect," Byron Buxton represents them all.

jimbo92107
02-23-2013, 08:48 PM
Here's four minutes of video of him pitching in the Cape Cod League.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sKZIVfIoCw

I think I see the flaw in his mechanics. Starting at 2:56 in the video, notice where his throwing hand lines up with the vertical pole in the background. It's a subtle point, but when your hand travels backwards as your body travels forwards, the sudden change in direction puts a lot of stress on your shoulder. Manea's hand travels backwards against his body's motion only about six inches, but guess what - that's enough to put a sudden jerk into his shoulder joint every time he throws a pitch. Ideally, his throwing hand should either remain still or travel forward slightly along with his body.

A tennis coach taught me this technique when returning a high-speed serve. If you swing the racket back, you'll never be able to get it around in time to hit the ball straight ahead. Better is to move forward and pivot around the racket, never allowing the stick to move backwards. Turns out this same idea works great for throwing a baseball and swinging a bat, too. The infamous "hitch" in a batter's swing is the act of moving the bat backwards, creating momentum in the wrong direction, which results in a late swing. Conserving momentum is as old as Judo, but it works in a lot of different activities.

As for how to correct this problem, techniques vary. I favor holding a rattlesnake's head just behind the pitcher's hand. Obviously he won't move his hand backwards with a poisonous snake there. Others may favor a Taser or a sharp nail on a stick. One way or another, the young man's got to learn that it's important not to move that hand counter to his momentum.

Jeremy Nygaard
03-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Indiana State's game tonight was cancelled. Manaea should be on the bump tomorrow.

gunnarthor
03-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Has Manaea pitched lately?

Jeremy Nygaard
03-09-2013, 01:22 PM
Has Manaea pitched lately?

Nope. Last weekend's games were rained out. He's scheduled to pitch this afternoon. His next appearance should occur next Friday night at the Metrodome.

EDIT: He'll pitch at 6pm against Mercer.

Jeremy Nygaard
03-11-2013, 04:58 PM
Manaea picked up his first win on the season on Saturday night. Stats included at the beginning of thread.

Shane Wahl
03-11-2013, 05:03 PM
I would love the Twins to draft him. He is more likely than not to be picked in the first three, but who knows?

gunnarthor
03-11-2013, 06:43 PM
I would love the Twins to draft him. He is more likely than not to be picked in the first three, but who knows?

Obviously, it's a long way off but at this point, yeah, I think he and Appel will both be gone. I'm starting to hope that Twins go after Kris Bryant, the college third baseman. Apparently he's already hit 8 HRs. I don't know much more about him but that sounds nice.

maxisagod
03-11-2013, 08:54 PM
I think there's a chance that Manaea is around at 4. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I'm still of the option the Astros will a sign a top 5-8 guy and spend their money on tougher signings later on, like last year. That would give the Twins a de facto #3 overall pick, and I can think of at least two guys that could easily be taken before Manaea.
...OR the same thing happens as last year and the Astro's pick the guy I like and I'm sitting there on Draft Day going "Well now who do I root for? I've got five minutes to pick a new favorite?".

Jeremy Nygaard
03-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Interesting read on Manaea. ESPN LINK (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9050726/indiana-state-sean-manaea-steps-mlb-draft-spotlight-college-baseball)

Pius Jefferson
03-15-2013, 07:56 PM
Manaea vs Windle going on right now at the Metrodome.

5ip 1 hit 6K for Manaea.

Jeremy Nygaard
03-15-2013, 11:24 PM
I will have video of Manaea's (and Windle's on his thread) first inning of the game posted later. Some quick observations about him...

His fastball was good, 91-94, hit 95 once, and, for seven innings, nearly unhittable. His slider was in the high-70s and also got a number of swings-and-misses. There was a pitch he threw, maybe in the 3rd, to a lefty - acted like a curveball - that was completely filthy. All-in-all, the amount of times a Gopher player swung through a Manaea pitch was probably in the 17-20 range. Obviously those are stats that get you drafted high.

There were a few parts of Manaea's game that need work. First, when there is a runner on base, he really slows down. Snails pace down. He doesn't have a good move to first, he isn't particularly quick to home and wants to pitch out of a windup. He threw the ball to first probably a dozen time and at least four times could have been called for a balk because he steps over the imaginary 45 degree line towards home. Even before all of that, whenever he's pitching with a runner on base, he takes a funny little knee-lift step before coming set. It's weird - not sure why he does it - and didn't look all that beneficial. Who knows...

His 9th inning was also very interesting. He gave up a sharp single to start the inning off. He struck out the next batter swinging on a 91 mph fastball at the eyes. He gave up another single and had runners on the corners with one out. The next batter went 2-0 before fouling a ball towards the 1B bullpen. The Indiana State fielder made a nice move getting the ball back before the runner could tag up. Up came the Minnesota DH batting .148. He missed the zone three times before working the count full. He then missed low - check-swing - and walked the bases full. The first pitch to the next batter was a couple feet short of home and went squirting towards the Indiana State dugout. The ball, runner and Manaea all got there at the same time. It looked like the runner got his hand under the tag to me. The guy I was with thought he was out. The interesting thing was Manaea tumbled toward the backstop and the ump didn't make the call until making sure he still had the ball. Had he called him safe, the runner from 2nd would have touched home before Manaea could have gotten back. In the celebration, Manaea rolled his ankle as well.

All told, Manaea looked like a top pick. I don't see what he could do to drop out of the Top 4. I got to the Dome at 5:30 to scout the scouts... hard to tell who was from where. There were at least 30 radar guns out. While there are areas to improve his game, there wasn't anything alarming, though he'll need to improve his pickoff move/speed with runners on.

It was a good game at the very least, well worth the $8 ticket.

gunnarthor
03-15-2013, 11:51 PM
What's the level of competition? I know the Big 10 isn't the SEC.

maxisagod
03-16-2013, 12:03 AM
Okay I know he's the Twins' King of the Scouts, but Deron Johnson is the only scout I've ever seen that has his own entourage. I lost count, how many Gophers did Manaea strike out?

lightfoot789
03-16-2013, 01:07 AM
Chris Adnderson beat ECU 3-2 Friday night. ECU scored on a bunt play with runner on third and 2 outs. Only 5 Ks tonight. He was 2nd in country before game and now has 50 Ks in 38 2/3 innings with a 1.16 ERA. Still my sleeper :) - My apologies - Back to the tall lefty..................................How did Windle do following his No No? What was final score?

FrodaddyG
03-16-2013, 01:11 AM
Chris Adnderson beat ECU 3-2 Friday night. ECU scored on a bunt play with runner on third and 2 outs. Only 5 Ks tonight. He was 2nd in country before game and now has 50 Ks in 38 2/3 innings with a 1.16 ERA. Still my sleeper :) -
The guy literally has his own thread. Can't be bothered to post there?

Jeremy Nygaard
03-16-2013, 09:04 AM
Manaea's first inning from last night...

I give the radar reading after every pitch.

http://youtu.be/LNG8gMP81Eg

diehardtwinsfan
03-16-2013, 09:30 AM
I'm kind of hoping the Twins end up with Manea in the first round and one of Anderson/Windle in teh second.... though I'm beginning to think Anderson won't make it to number 4 in round 2.

righty8383
03-16-2013, 11:06 AM
Keith Law has submitted his thoughts (http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/mlb_draft/id/9059159/sean-manaea-yet-recapture-cape-cod-league-form-mlb-draft) from last nights game.

Insiders only as always with Klaw. He obviously likes Manaea but expressed disappointment in what he saw. Saying he wasn't as "electric" as he hoped. He also says that at THIS POINT, he is not a top 5 pick. This stood out to me...

he's still really interesting because of the velocity and command, but I couldn't take the guy I saw tonight in the top five picks, and certainly wouldn't take him ahead of Oklahoma right-hander Jonathan Gray today.

Jeremy Nygaard
03-16-2013, 11:48 AM
As he sat about a dozen seats away from me, sounds about right. I find it interesting that he talks about "early in the game" and "in the ninth inning", because he left after the 3rd and I didn't see him again until the 8th. Obviously, I'm not sure where he was (all of his stuff was still at his seat), but I thought Manaea was at his best in the middle innings - still hitting 94 and that was where he got most of his strikeouts. Law would have a better basis for comparison to Gray than I would, but hearing that he likes Gray more than Manaea is encouraging, because I'd be happy with Manaea.

Here's an interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PzxuDbVyxo&feature=player_embedded) with Manaea after the game. He sounds optimistic that his ankle will quickly heal, but his face said a different story.

diehardtwinsfan
03-16-2013, 12:48 PM
The reports I saw on Gray was that he's a 3 starter, correct? If that's the case, if Manaea doesn't have what it takes, I'd rather draft a guy like Anderson under slot (who would also end up a 3 starter but seems to have more upside) and then go after a tough highschool sign later in the draft.

Jeremy Nygaard
03-17-2013, 07:44 AM
The reports I saw on Gray was that he's a 3 starter, correct? If that's the case, if Manaea doesn't have what it takes, I'd rather draft a guy like Anderson under slot (who would also end up a 3 starter but seems to have more upside) and then go after a tough highschool sign later in the draft.

I think that was probably the pre-season report. As far as current college arms go, Appel, Manaea and Gray probably all could be projected as top-of-the-rotation guys based on the swings and misses they got. Though others are down on Manaea after Friday's start, I'm not and I don't think the Twins, who love success in the Cape, are either. I've said all along that Manaea would need more time in the minors and that remains true. He areas of need are fixable, all in a left-handed package.

Jeremy Nygaard
03-18-2013, 06:03 PM
Nice reports from the guys at Perfect Game on Friday Night's game.

PG: Manaea-Windle lives up to billing (http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=8165) (It appears to be one of the free articles on the site as well.)

diehardtwinsfan
03-18-2013, 06:43 PM
there's a nice write up on minorleagueball as well on the Manaea-Windle matchup.

Mave
03-19-2013, 12:02 PM
Nice reports from the guys at Perfect Game on Friday Night's game.

PG: Manaea-Windle lives up to billing (http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=8165) (It appears to be one of the free articles on the site as well.)

Taken from this article: "'I hate pitching in the cold,' Manaea said after the game about pitching in the cozy confines of the Metrodome. 'It's probably the worst thing. Coming here and having nice conditions, and actually sweating while pitching, was big for me."

Still a lot of snow on the ground.... April 1st is coming fast...

Also-- the more I read, the more I like Windle. Not at 4, but who knows how long he will stick around come draft day.

Jeremy Nygaard
03-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Taken from this article: "'I hate pitching in the cold,' Manaea said after the game about pitching in the cozy confines of the Metrodome. 'It's probably the worst thing. Coming here and having nice conditions, and actually sweating while pitching, was big for me."

I thought the same thing... but it's not like Colorado or Chicago are in the tropics either, so he's gonna have to deal with it.

Jeremy Nygaard
03-24-2013, 08:57 PM
From what I gather about Manaea's most recent (7 shutout innings) performance was that he was a little erratic, but also looked a little more like his summer-electric-self.

Most importantly, he did so in 41 degree weather.

Jeremy Nygaard
04-05-2013, 08:58 PM
It was announced today that Manaea would not be making his start this weekend due to a strained hip muscle. The hope is that he'll be able to throw, but Indiana State's plan is to play it safe.

cmb0252
04-06-2013, 12:45 AM
It was announced today that Manaea would not be making his start this weekend due to a strained hip muscle. The hope is that he'll be able to throw, but Indiana State's plan is to play it safe.

That's not good news.

kab21
04-06-2013, 12:52 AM
If you want Manaea to be there at #4 it's not bad news...

Jeremy Nygaard
04-06-2013, 05:52 AM
If you want Manaea to be there at #4 it's not bad news...

That's how I feel. This may be part of the reason he has fallen off since the Cape. Don't forget how players who play well in the Cape typically stay pretty high on the Twins draft board.

cmb0252
04-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Manaea has a lot of question marks around him and missing starts with an injury can't help. Currently I just can't see him being a top 5 guy until he proves his stuff from the cape cod is really.

cmb0252
04-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Manaea did miss his start Friday with a hip strain but he did throw Sunday. He threw 6 shutout innings and ended the day with a 9/0 k/bb ratio. No word on the quality of his stuff. Christopher crawford (helping Law with draft info at ESPN) had an interesting quote from an NL scout.

"Hip injuries can just be such a lingering issue," an NL scout said. "Even if it's mild and creates just a little bit of discomfort, it's something to keep an eye on because they have this nasty habit of coming back. [I'm] not saying that it's a reason not to draft a kid, but it's more homework for a club to do and can put doubt in a club's mind."

Its a good read and has information about several other draft prospect and is linked below:
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/mlb_draft/id/9146465/stanford-austin-wilson-returns-action-indiana-state-sean-manaea-battles-injury-mlb

Also in Jim callis chat on the third he was asked the following question:
Seems like Sean Manaea's stock has fallen in a lot of mock drafts. Do you chalk up his less than totally dominant start, both production and stuff-wise, to the weather? Something else?
Jim Callis: I think he has fallen a little bit, though I still think he’d go in the top 5-10 picks if the draft were today. The weather up here–I live outside of Chicago–has been bitterly cold for most of the year, but I think the inconsistency of his secondary pitches and his command. His numbers aren’t bad at all (1.14 ERA, 46-13 K-BB in 39 IP) but he hasn’t shown scouts everything they’ve hoped for.

Vervehound
04-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Manaea has a lot of question marks around him and missing starts with an injury can't help. Currently I just can't see him being a top 5 guy until he proves his stuff from the cape cod is really.

name five better players than him. manaea dominated over 57 innings this summer against the best amateur competition in the country.

i think there is a good chance he's avaiable at four. my gut says 1) gray 2) appel 3) frazier and 4) manaea.

Jeremy Nygaard
04-08-2013, 04:35 PM
name five better players than him. manaea dominated over 57 innings this summer against the best amateur competition in the country.

i think there is a good chance he's avaiable at four. my gut says 1) gray 2) appel 3) frazier and 4) manaea.

I have a pretty strong suspicion that the Twins prefer Meadows to Frazier. I won't give up too much more til I do Draft Board v.3

cmb0252
04-08-2013, 05:17 PM

On my personal draft board I have Manaea ranked 8th, in my third tier, and the 4th best pitcher. That is mostly off ceiling and not performance.

cmb0252
04-08-2013, 05:19 PM
I have a pretty strong suspicion that the Twins prefer Meadows to Frazier. I won't give up too much more til I do Draft Board v.3

I'm excited to see your draft board and compare it to mine. Especially because you clearly have Twins inside information that I do not.

clutterheart
04-08-2013, 05:42 PM
my gut says 1) gray 2) appel 3) frazier and 4) manaea.

If the draft goes this way and Bryant is there the Twins have to take him.

kab21
04-08-2013, 10:09 PM
Manaea has done just enough to stay in the 2nd tier of prospects.

Appel has moved to the top by himself although he might not get taken 1st

Gray - is ahead of Manaea
Meadows - All 3 of the hitters here make a strong case for #2 overall
Frazier
Humphries
Manaea - can he make a case to stay in this tier and not get drafted ahead of the Twins pick?

Jeremy Nygaard
04-08-2013, 10:41 PM
Today's AskBA has Jim Callis saying that Appel and Gray have separated themselves from the pack.

kab21
04-09-2013, 12:39 AM
Today's AskBA has Jim Callis saying that Appel and Gray have separated themselves from the pack.

I wait a little before I vault guys from below a tier to the absolute top of the draft.

righty8383
04-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Keith Law released his latest future 50 (http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9177224/mark-appel-jonathan-gray-top-prospects-2013-mlb-draft). While its not mock draft, he does have Manaea at #4.

nicksaviking
04-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Keith Law released his latest future 50 (http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9177224/mark-appel-jonathan-gray-top-prospects-2013-mlb-draft). While its not mock draft, he does have Manaea at #4.

I'm not an Insider. Who does he have at #3 right now? I'm seeing Meadows, Frazier and Bryant in various orders lately.

mike wants wins
04-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Klaw:

"after these two guys, you could go in a lot of directions. There is no clear No. 3." He has Meadows three....

cmb0252
04-18-2013, 01:31 PM
He has Meadows at 3.

Manaea has upside be he does worry me a bit with the decrease in velocity and inconsistent slider. Both were plus to plus-plus pitches in the cape cod league.

Twins Twerp
04-18-2013, 02:14 PM
I didn't see the Lefty from UM on the list or the list of players close. Windle was not listed. It sure looks like he will be available for our second pick. As far as Manaea goes, I know it is early but he might be a close to a lock for the twins at 4. Gray and Appel will be gone. Now I'm not saying he will be available by the Twins pick, I just don't think the Twins would pass on the Manaea if he did slip, which i think he will.

cmb0252
04-18-2013, 02:59 PM
While he didn't have Windle on the list, it must be an error, he did have another UM LHP Shelton on the other names to know list. He also had two Minnesota HS players in his top 50.

Also, I completely disagree that Manaea is a lock at 4 unless he gains his cape cod form back. Twins proved last year they are taking the BPA regardless of position. While he easily could be the BPA at 4 he isn't a lock IMO. Way too many question marks.

drjim
04-18-2013, 05:01 PM
I think this is the guy as well. He hasn't been at the Cape level but he has been solid and Law made the point that this has actually established a pretty solid floor based upon this season. If he was still at the Cape level he wouldn't make it to the Twins.

The bats look solid but none of them have especially separated themselves either.

cmb0252
04-29-2013, 02:34 PM
Didn't pitch this weekend due to hip injury I believe. While I currently prefer about 7 players over him he seems like the most likely player to go #4. Hopefully the injury isn't serious and he can get back to cape cod form before the draft.

cmb0252
05-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Jason Churchill did a mini poll of his sources, mostly crosscheckers and scouting supervisor, on Stanek, Eades, and Manaea and this caught my eye:

What about Manaea? "He has a chance to be the best of the three," the senior scout continued. "The problem is there's more hope involved. When your'e drafting a college pitcher that high, usually the preference is to avoid a lot of risk like that."

Manaea only has four more starts till the draft so hopefully he can show scouts something. I know his risk scares me.

nicksaviking
05-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Well Jon Heyman seems to think the Astros liked their underslot payment stratagy from last year and doesn't sound convinced the Astros are a lock for a pitcher at #1.

https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/status/329576160340111360

Of course even in the unlikely event they pass on a pitcher, the Twins would still need to convince Colorado or Chicago to follow the same path.

kab21
05-02-2013, 12:10 PM
Jason Churchill did a mini poll of his sources, mostly crosscheckers and scouting supervisor, on Stanek, Eades, and Manaea and this caught my eye:

What about Manaea? "He has a chance to be the best of the three," the senior scout continued. "The problem is there's more hope involved. When your'e drafting a college pitcher that high, usually the preference is to avoid a lot of risk like that."

Manaea only has four more starts till the draft so hopefully he can show scouts something. I know his risk scares me.

In the Stewart thread I likened the two from a upside/risk perspective. This is kind of unusual when you compare HS and college pitching draftees.

maxisagod
05-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Well Jon Heyman seems to think the Astros liked their underslot payment stratagy from last year and doesn't sound convinced the Astros are a lock for a pitcher at #1.
Of course even in the unlikely event they pass on a pitcher, the Twins would still need to convince Colorado or Chicago to follow the same path.

The smoke coming out of Chicago is the Cub's are taking either Gray or Appel. No word yet about the Rockies plans. Best case scenario is Manaea and another top 6 pick comes to under slot agreements with the Rockies and the Astros. But I don't think that's in Colorado's draft plan.

cmb0252
05-02-2013, 01:40 PM
The smoke coming out of Chicago is the Cub's are taking either Gray or Appel. No word yet about the Rockies plans. Best case scenario is Manaea and another top 6 pick comes to under slot agreements with the Rockies and the Astros. But I don't think that's in Colorado's draft plan.

Law mentioned today that he has heard the Astros are definitely trying that strategy again this year....but with Gray....which would leave us in the same boat as before with the two big arms going 1-2.

kab21
05-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Perhaps the Astros pass on the big 2 but it's very unlikely that the Cubs/Rockies do. The Cubs are almost for sure going with a pitcher and the Rockies single biggest need is pitching. i don't see how they pass on Appel/Gray and go for Manaea unless Boras really holds that much power.

cmb0252
05-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Manaea coming back from injury didn't look so hot. 4 innings, 5/4 K/BB ratio, and gave up one ER. His fastball was sitting in the mid 80s and his slider was still inconsistent. Crawford had an interesting quote from a NL Exec:

"If this was a good class, I'm not sure [Manaea] goes in the first round," an NL executive told me. "But because he was so good [last] summer and because the depth is not there, he'll likely be a top-10 guy. I don't see it, but I guess some team will be hoping he can rediscover his Cape stuff. It won't be us."

Manaea has only 3 more starts before the draft.

Jeremy Nygaard
05-06-2013, 12:37 PM
I wonder if there is any way for interested clubs, especially those in the 3-8 range, to get ahold of medical records and/or get a physical done. Scott Boras could lose a lot of money in this deal if Manaea drops.

nfisch22
05-06-2013, 12:50 PM
I am really not sold on Manaea. Early in the year he intrigued me but since this injury and with a drop in velocity I dont know how you make him your pick at #4. The potential is there but its much riskier than it was 2-3months ago

cmb0252
05-06-2013, 03:21 PM
To be even considered in the 3-8 range Boras is going to have to answer some of the medical questions around Manaea you would think. I was working on my draft board today and after the top 6 guys I was having a ton of problems filling out the back end of the top 10. Manaea is such an enigma for me.

Dance with Disco Dan
05-06-2013, 03:44 PM
For months I was preparing to be content with Manaea as the Twins' pick but when I hear reports about a once-a-week pitcher losing significant velocity, I head for the exits. I'd now much prefer they draft the best bat rather than settle for the fourth best college arm (if Manaea can even be considered that). It's a shame that this year there are no enticing bats that would push the near-term college arms down just a bit. Just a bummer of a year for a team with a bat rich minor league system to be picking fourth.

Too bad none of the pro leagues allow their teams to trade draft picks. What!? All but one league does? $#@^%#^

nicksaviking
05-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Are Boras and Manaea hiding injury concerns? At this point, I think I'd feel a lot better about the guy knowing that an injury IS involved. If I thought for even a minute that his performance is being made with relative health, I'd be much more worried.

cmb0252
05-11-2013, 11:28 AM
For all the Manaea fans out there he had a solid outing last night.

7 innings pitched, 3 hits, 1 ER, 1 BB, 11 K, 100 pitches

He did pitch against Alcorn state, not exactly a power house, but it is still nice to see him throw 100 pitches. I haven't seen a report yet with the quality of his "stuff" yet which is a lot more important than his counting numbers.

cmb0252
05-13-2013, 11:00 AM
From reports I have read Manaeas fastball was back to normal, 90-93, this weekend while his slider was significantly better.

TRex
05-13-2013, 11:08 AM
Do you think he was finally healthy?

Brodin4Calder
05-13-2013, 12:48 PM
For all the Manaea fans out there he had a solid outing last night.

7 innings pitched, 3 hits, 1 ER, 1 BB, 11 K, 100 pitches

He did pitch against Alcorn state, not exactly a power house, but it is still nice to see him throw 100 pitches. I haven't seen a report yet with the quality of his "stuff" yet which is a lot more important than his counting numbers.

Great news, I hope he can have a great stretch here so the Twins grab him. Hopefully his little injury was causing him to be inconsistent and now hes better. He has all the tools to be an ace, its not often you get a lefty like him.

jaspatrick
05-13-2013, 01:14 PM
From reports I have read Manaeas fastball was back to normal, 90-93, this weekend while his slider was significantly better.

I think his FB was back to normal, as in up from the mid-eighties his previous start, but not back to sitting in the mid-nineties, which he was doing at the Cape.

I know he was fantastic this summer and has had good results this year, but with lesser stuff than he showed during the summer and against lesser competition than many of the other top prospects. How was his stuff at Indiana State before this year? Was he thought to be a top draft choice heading into the Cape or was his #1 stuff just around for the one summer?

nicksaviking
05-13-2013, 02:11 PM
I think his FB was back to normal, as in up from the mid-eighties his previous start, but not back to sitting in the mid-nineties, which he was doing at the Cape.

Agreed. Surely he and Boras will spin it, but his draft stock soared due to the Cape showing, so the barometer needs to be set at that mark. It sounds like his slider is a great pitch when on, but if the velocity on his FB is 5-6 MPH lower than advertised, he's not going to be nearly as effective as expected four months ago. I'm not interested unless we get evidence in the next month that he's still capable of bringing the heat that was reported last summer.

cmb0252
05-13-2013, 02:24 PM

I know he was fantastic this summer and has had good results this year, but with lesser stuff than he showed during the summer and against lesser competition than many of the other top prospects. How was his stuff at Indiana State before this year? Was he thought to be a top draft choice heading into the Cape or was his #1 stuff just around for the one summer?

Before the Cape Cod league he wasn't looked at as a big time prospect but when you are a lefty hitting 97 with a wipeout slider you become one real fast. Here lies the problem. For about 50-60 innings during the cape he showed ace potential but before and after he hasn't shown anything similar.

Brodin4Calder
05-13-2013, 08:48 PM
I say the Twins just take Stewart.

Twins Twerp
05-13-2013, 09:12 PM
I say the Twins just take Stewart.

We get it

cmb0252
05-16-2013, 12:13 PM
From Laws chat today:

What's the biggest difference between Manaea last summer and now?Was the Cape a fluke, or is their an injury concern, or is it something else?
Klaw (12:32 PM)

Not throwing as hard. Rolled his ankle in mid-March, has had some hip soreness since then, not clear if that's a major or minor factor since his stuff was down a tick before then. He pitches tonight and there will be a ton of heat in there.

diehardtwinsfan
05-19-2013, 02:43 PM
Last start 5 IP, 5H, 0ER, 2BB, 5K

cmb0252
05-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Last start 5 IP, 5H, 0ER, 2BB, 5K

While the stat line isn't bad, only throwing 5 innings is.

cmb0252
05-19-2013, 08:06 PM
An article about Manaea from Mayo at mlb.com.

Sean Manaea's cool exterior masks inner fire as First-Year Player Draft nears | MLB.com: News (http://mlb.mlb.com//news/article.jsp?ymd=20130517&content_id=47750038&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb)

Mayo notes Manaea's stuff and pitch limit from his game this week.

Manaea gave up one unearned run on five hits, walking two and striking out five. He was on a 60-pitch limit because conference tournament play begins on Tuesday. The reports -- 89-93-mph fastball, inconsistent slider -- were similar to his Alcorn State start.