PDA

View Full Version : Draft question

gunnarthor
02-14-2013, 09:13 AM
I can't seem to find it. Does anyone know which picks the Twins have after #4? I don't think we have any supp picks and I know they are adding some picks for small market teams after the 1st round but we don't have those either. What # is our second pick?

Badsmerf
02-14-2013, 09:40 AM
4, 42, 78, then 4th in the following rounds with pick 110 being their next pick. They have no compensation or competitive balance picks.

"The 10 smallest-market teams and 10 lowest-revenue teams will have the chance to win one of six extra selections in the 2013 First-Year Player Draft. The odds of winning a Draft pick will be based on each team's winning percentage in the previous season." - Jon Mayo MLB.com

I don't have the exact numbers (don't want to look them up) but the Twins seem to be just outside that list now. The D-backs, Orioles, Indians, Royals, A's, Pirates, Padres, Rays, Reds, Rockies, Marlins, Brewers and Cardinals are teams which qualified this season. I would say no way the Twins ever get there, but the Brewers, Cardinals and Orioles inclusion makes me believe ti might be possible.

Jeremy Nygaard
02-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Now that Bourn signed, Cleveland's comp pick goes away and Atlanta gets one at the end, so 42 becomes 43. When Lohse eventually signs, there will be a minimal shuffle again, more than likely. Other than that, Badsmerf hit it on the head.

righty8383
02-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Unless of course Lohse signs with the Indians.

SweetOne69
02-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Now that Bourn signed, Cleveland's comp pick goes away and Atlanta gets one at the end, so 42 becomes 43. When Lohse eventually signs, there will be a minimal shuffle again, more than likely. Other than that, Badsmerf hit it on the head.

Nope, still 42. They already had Atlanta's comp pick figured in.

Jeremy Nygaard
02-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Nope, still 42. They already had Atlanta's comp pick figured in.

Hmmm... I'll have to adjust my draft board when I get home to see what I have. Who's "they", I'd like to compare.

SweetOne69
02-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Hmmm... I'll have to adjust my draft board when I get home to see what I have. Who's "they", I'd like to compare.

The they I was referring to was MLB.com, but when I looked again I noticed that while the do have the Comp picks for Lohse and Bourn slotted they don't have them numbered (hasn't been updated for Bourns' signing) so you are correct that the Twins' 2nd round pick will be 43rd overall.

Draft Order | 2013 First-Year Player Draft | MLB.com: Events (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2013/order.jsp)

Jeremy Nygaard
02-14-2013, 09:24 PM
When Lohse signs, that will essentially move a pick which could cause the Twins picks/cap to change again, but for today...

The Braves getting a comp pick and the Indians losing their comp pick only affected the Twins 2nd round pick (from 42nd pick to 43rd). The projected difference in those picks is $31,000, so their pool's anticipated amount is around $8.17m.

Round 2, 43 overall - $1,279,720

According to BA, pick values will increase by about 7%. Last year, the Twins had a pool value of over $12 million. This year they will be around $8.2 million.

Round 1, 4 overall - $4,494,000
Round 2, 42 overall - $1,312,890
Round 3, 78 overall - $695,179
Round 4, 110 overall - $462,989
Round 5, 140 overall - $346,573
Round 6, 170 overall - $259,582
Round 7, 200 overall - $194,419
Round 8, 230 overall - $156,862
Round 9, 260 overall - $146,483
Round 10, 290 overall - $136,853

RodneyKline
02-14-2013, 11:10 PM
4, 42, 78, then 4th in the following rounds with pick 110 being their next pick. They have no compensation or competitive balance picks.

"The 10 smallest-market teams and 10 lowest-revenue teams will have the chance to win one of six extra selections in the 2013 First-Year Player Draft. The odds of winning a Draft pick will be based on each team's winning percentage in the previous season." - Jon Mayo MLB.com

I don't have the exact numbers (don't want to look them up) but the Twins seem to be just outside that list now. The D-backs, Orioles, Indians, Royals, A's, Pirates, Padres, Rays, Reds, Rockies, Marlins, Brewers and Cardinals are teams which qualified this season. I would say no way the Twins ever get there, but the Brewers, Cardinals and Orioles inclusion makes me believe ti might be possible.

Is it only me or are some of these 10 "small market teams" out of place. The Cardinals are a small market team? The Diamondbacks??? Phoenix, (where I am right now), itself has 1.4 million people and the Phoenix metropolitan area has 4.4 million people (the 13th largest in the country) The Brewers and the Orioles were mentioned with the Cards as borderline in this post. The Brewer's make sense as being a small market but the other two???. The Indians are sure not spending like a small market team either. The Reds are small market???

The Twins are not in a small market but Terry Ryan sure acts like they are! Sorry, I couldn't resist!

It seems to me that the criteria for being one of the 10 small markets must be messed up for them to come up with this list. It should be calculated over time and not change year to year based on attendance or something. If a team has the population but they can't generate enough excitement to bring out fans, that is their issue and not the competitive landscape. Look at Tampa Bay. They can't draw fans even when they had a super exciting team. They are a small market team but getting an extra draft pick is not going to fix that. Adding draft picks to small market teams is just a really bad idea. They need to do more revenue sharing like the NFL or do more with salary caps like the NBA or come up with a better idea but don't throw 6 supplemental draft picks at a list of 10 teams that may or may not be small market teams and think that they did something.

Besides, the Twins were considered so small market by Bud Selig that he made a deal to contract them with the Expos and now we do not even qualify for the bottom 10! He was either a liar then or now right? Or did I miss that the twin cities get a couple million more potential fans move in during the last 10 years or so? Somehow we got to be a mid market team and it definitely wasn't extra draft picks that got us there!