PDA

View Full Version : Harden: Best He's Felt in Six years

John Bonnes
02-13-2013, 02:41 PM
Brian Murphy of the Pi Press checks in on Rich Harden. it has a variation on the usual "best shape of my life" spring training story:

"It's the best I felt in six years," Harden declared Wednesday, Feb. 13, following his first bullpen session. "I'm really excited to have an opportunity to pitch for this team. Ball's coming out good. It's just kind of putting it all together with some consistency."

Lord, help me, but I'm going to get sucked in by this. I'm going to believe. I can feel the stomach punch already.

Minnesota Twins' Rich Harden hopes for more time on mound, less on DL - TwinCities.com (http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22581988/minnesota-twins-rich-harden-hopes-more-time-mound)

crarko
02-13-2013, 02:57 PM
This would make an absolutely amazing story if he can come back like his early self. I guess he's already passed the Zumaya test.

roger
02-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Thanks for all these updates today John, they are appreciated. If Harden could be back by mid-late April to +90% of what he was, he could be the Twins #1 guy and round out a nice starting rotation. Still a big if, but what a great first report.

Otwins
02-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Twins fan walking through the desert. Almost ready to expire when he looks up and sees a mirage. Water - no Ice cold Grain Belt - No - It's the 2008 version of Rich Harden

Right after his last surgery the doctor who performed the operation said that what he fixed was the likely cause of his other shoulder problems. Lets hope he is right.

mike wants wins
02-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Is this tracked on hardballlltalk as a best shape of my life? They actually tracked those last year and then looked at performance......

whatever54
02-13-2013, 05:06 PM
The classic low risk/ high reward signing! It would be awe fully good to see this one pay off. This one, of all the recent such signings, really has the potential to be a difference maker. If only!

luke829
02-13-2013, 05:19 PM
Holy crap, optimism.

PseudoSABR
02-13-2013, 05:35 PM
I wish the Twins would sign a guy like this.

Rick Blaine
02-13-2013, 05:41 PM
[QUOTE=John Bonnes;83689] Lord, help me, but I'm going to get sucked in by this. I'm going to believe. I can feel the stomach punch already.

This is funny;)

Chip Chipperson
02-13-2013, 05:41 PM
Tsk tsk. . .This feels like all the times my dad said he'd quit hitting my mom.....or something.

ashburyjohn
02-13-2013, 06:53 PM
Minnesota Twins' Rich Harden hopes for more time on mound, less on DL - TwinCities.com (http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22581988/minnesota-twins-rich-harden-hopes-more-time-mound)

Some headlines, or even entire articles, just about write themselves this time of year, don't they.

It isn't until late May when the team is in a 11-37 slump after starting so promisingly at 1-1 that the headlines start to read "So and So hopes for more time on DL, less on mound".

70charger
02-13-2013, 07:04 PM
It's a cliche, but I want to believe.

Badsmerf
02-13-2013, 07:28 PM
I wish the Twins would sign a guy like this.

Those guys don't want to come to teams like the Twins.

twinsnorth49
02-13-2013, 07:30 PM
Just this once......pleasehttp://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/praying/smileys-praying-554778.gif

TheLeviathan
02-13-2013, 07:44 PM
Call me when it's when it's early April and this is still true. "Player X feels stronger and healthier than ever!" is stock material for journalists. I'm glad he's on the mound and throwing though.

glunn
02-14-2013, 02:21 AM
As an added bonus, if Harden is good, then he might become very valuable as the trade deadline approaches.

FrodaddyG
02-14-2013, 03:48 AM
As an added bonus, if Harden is good, then he might become very valuable as the trade deadline approaches.
If Harden is both good and healthy by the deadline, it may be tough getting a deal done, what with the four hoursemen running roughshod over the world and all.

Top Gun
02-14-2013, 06:19 AM
Sign him up long-term now!

mike wants wins
02-14-2013, 09:48 AM
If Harden is both good and healthy by the deadline, it may be tough getting a deal done, what with the four hoursemen running roughshod over the world and all.

awesome

williepbananas
02-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Did anyone else notice that the article says Harden pitched for Toronto in 2008? Pretty sure that didn't happen (Somebody misread "TOT" on Baseball Reference?)

Shane Wahl
02-14-2013, 10:45 AM
To hell with it all. Here's to hoping for a Gibson-Harden 1-2 punch for the last half of the season.

twinsfaninsaudi
02-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Did anyone else notice that the article says Harden pitched for Toronto in 2008? Pretty sure that didn't happen (Somebody misread "TOT" on Baseball Reference?)

That's funny. It is done by the Pioneer Press...

East Coast Twin
02-20-2013, 05:51 AM
Lord, help me, but I'm going to get sucked in by this. I'm going to believe. I can feel the stomach punch already.

"Buyer beware" John. Here's a quote yesterday from Gardenhire:

''We got a long way to go,'' manager Ron Gardenhire said. ''We're going to get him to where he can do everything. Right now, he needs a few days. He's feeling great and we want to keep it that way. A real slow process here with him.''

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/minnesota-twins-rich-harden-trying-to-come-back-from-shoulder-surgery-021913

Brock Beauchamp
02-20-2013, 07:30 AM
Put me in, coach! I feel great!

johnnydakota
02-20-2013, 07:34 AM
thanks for a morning chuckle Brock

edavis0308
02-20-2013, 08:57 AM

This comes to mind...

ThePuck
02-20-2013, 09:33 AM

That's fantastic!

GCTF
02-20-2013, 09:49 AM
This comes to mind...

Makes one wonder if the Black Knight was employed by the Twins medical staff at one time.

Dr.Black Knight : 'Tis but a scratch.

Twins Pitcher : My arm's off.

Dr.Black Knight : No it isn't.

Oldgoat_MN
02-20-2013, 10:12 AM
Maybe more fun than any other article this year.
Note:
John Bonnes - stomach punch
FrodaddyG - four horsemen
williepbananas - pointing out that someone misread TOT (total) for Toronto
edavis0308 - Black Knight
etc.

I love this place.

J-Dog Dungan
02-20-2013, 10:38 AM
To hell with it all. Here's to hoping for a Gibson-Harden 1-2 punch for the last half of the season.
How about a Gibson-Harden-Worley for 1-2-3 punch?

Boom Boom
02-20-2013, 11:07 AM
Googling "Rich Harden Best I've Felt in Years" turns up a lot of results. Here's one from 2010-

http://seattletimes.com/html/sports/2011145308_apbbarangersharden.html

minn55441
02-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Googling "Rich Harden Best I've Felt in Years" turns up a lot of results. Here's one from 2010-

thanks for bringing us back to reality.

I really hope we don't even try this guy as a starter. He has never pitched 100 innings. If he could throw 40 innings out of the pen with a sub 3.00 ERA I would be thrilled. He has the stuff, just need to keep him on the mound.

FrodaddyG
02-20-2013, 11:33 AM
I really hope we don't even try this guy as a starter. He has never pitched 100 innings.
Yes, he has. He really, really has. Much like the writer's "typo" in the Correia article yesterday, there's plenty of reason to doubt the pitcher in question without gussying up the case against him.

ThePuck
02-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Yes, he has. He really, really has. Much like the writer's "typo" in the Correia article yesterday, there's plenty of reason to doubt the pitcher in question without gussying up the case against him.

I'm gonna guess maybe he meant 200 and just had the typo...just a guess. He hasn't, however, had even 190 MLB innings in one season. The most he's ever had was slightly less than that...and that was nine seasons ago. The second most he had was 148, and that was five seasons ago.

gil4
02-20-2013, 11:41 AM
This comes to mind...

Is that Zumaya after his elbow blew up? "Merely a flesh wound".

PseudoSABR
02-20-2013, 01:20 PM
Even a hundred innings of a healthy Harden is a good thing, guys.

John Bonnes
02-20-2013, 02:39 PM
The idea of trading Harden at the deadline is an interesting one, and I'm guilty of overlooking it.

One of the things I don't like about the Twins signings this winter is that they have these guys with health issues, but don't have any option years on them. But both Pelfrey and Harden could conceivably be flipped at the deadline. Not for anything special, but maybe a AA guy who looks like he's going to develop into a serviceable shortstop, or a AA pitcher that might be a mid-rotation starter or a power bullpen arm.

drjim
02-20-2013, 03:31 PM
The idea of trading Harden at the deadline is an interesting one, and I'm guilty of overlooking it.

One of the things I don't like about the Twins signings this winter is that they have these guys with health issues, but don't have any option years on them. But both Pelfrey and Harden could conceivably be flipped at the deadline. Not for anything special, but maybe a AA guy who looks like he's going to develop into a serviceable shortstop, or a AA pitcher that might be a mid-rotation starter or a power bullpen arm.

Isn't Pelfrey the only signing that this applies? And if he is good and healthy midseason I would guess an extension would be more likely than a trade.

mikeee
02-20-2013, 03:40 PM

Joel Zumaya!!!!!

ashburyjohn
02-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Even a hundred innings of a healthy Harden is a good thing, guys.

Too much to hope for from a guy who has never pitched 2 innings in a season in the major leagues.

Highabove
02-20-2013, 04:52 PM
There has been talk of adding a Bullpen car for the pitching staff. I believe the Twins are leaning towards the second model.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5lstf3jco1CAzvMQauOSO9CD8ky-Nr665l271DFWqSTW2XCmRqg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQU_rtIj8PmGvByFUCInOS1P4XtWks7 KkyxRcgp5TLu6K6kOJi

TheLeviathan
02-20-2013, 05:42 PM
The problem with that idea Highabove is that it presumes the Twins medical staff is aware of a problem requiring action. Typically we play with a 21 or 22 man roster while we wait these things out.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
02-20-2013, 05:45 PM
The problem with that idea Highabove is that it presumes the Twins medical staff is aware of a problem requiring action. Typically we play with a 21 or 22 man roster while we wait these things out.

The lights on an ambulance for the Twins wouldn't work. Same with that thing they use to change the stoplight color.

Oldgoat_MN
02-20-2013, 07:42 PM

Part of the really great thing about your post is the city that the story comes from.
Surprise, AZ.

There is no such thing as a coincidence.

LaBombo
02-20-2013, 08:38 PM
This would make an absolutely amazing story if he can come back like his early self. I guess he's already passed the Zumaya test.

Liked the Zumaya signing, but even a year later it's still hard to believe that the difference between the real Zumaya and the Onion parody Zumaya (http://www.theonion.com/articles/joel-zumaya-agrees-to-throw-one-last-amazing-pitch,27183/) was 12 pitches. Nice to hear that Harden has felt good so far, but he's the classic hope-for-the-best, expect-the-worst type of signing.

jimbo92107
02-20-2013, 10:16 PM
A lot of things will need to go right for the Twins to do well this season.
Here's a list of things I think are possible but could just as easily go wrong.

Twins long-shot list:
Harden revival, healthy for whole season
Gibson wins 15 games
Deduno wins 15, cuts walks in half
Morneau hits 30 taters
Florimon hits .250
Butera hits .225
DeVries wins 12
Hendriks wins 10
Plouffe hits 28 taters, healthy for the whole season
Dozier wins 2B, hits .265
Benson beats out Hicks for CF, stays up and healthy
Mauer plays healthy all year

If most of those things happen, I think the Twins could compete for a wild card. Most of them are physically possible, but of course some of them are less probable than others. Frankly, if they all stayed healthy, that would be a major accomplishment.

Brock Beauchamp
02-21-2013, 08:44 AM

Twins long-shot list:
Gibson wins 15 games
Morneau hits 30 taters
Florimon hits .250
Butera hits .225
DeVries wins 12
Hendriks wins 10

If most of those things happen, I think the Twins could compete for a wild card. Most of them are physically possible, but of course some of them are less probable than others. Frankly, if they all stayed healthy, that would be a major accomplishment.

All of those things are unlikely but one is virtually impossible... There is simply no way Gibson will win 15 games on a strict innings count.

CDog
02-21-2013, 10:03 AM

Twins long-shot list:
Gibson wins 15 games
Morneau hits 30 taters
Florimon hits .250
Butera hits .225
DeVries wins 12
Hendriks wins 10

I had a little fun thinking about the order of likelihood in that list. As BB already pointed out, Gibson winning 15 is almost certainly on the bottom end. While maybe not technically "likely," I think a few aren't super long shots.

Morneau has hit 30 bombs in three of his last four healthy seasons (obviously he's older now and, you know, hasn't been healthy for a while). Hendriks winning 10 seems conceivable (Correia has done it 4 years in a row!). Plouffe hit 24 last year while only playing 119 games, so 28 IF healthy seems in play. Dozier hit .234 last year, so .265 seems reachable if he puts some things together. And my feeling is that any health issues for Mauer would be new things, which can happen to anyone at any time, of course. After that, things get a little more long-shotty.

Keeping it a little on topic with the thread, I don't foresee Harden staying healthy all year, but I'm hopeful to be wrong.

twinsfaninsaudi
02-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Did anyone post this yet?

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22629867/minnesota-twins-rich-harden-not-ready-rotation-yet

YourHouseIsMyHouse
02-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Did anyone post this yet?

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22629867/minnesota-twins-rich-harden-not-ready-rotation-yet

No, but it's a good add-in. Didn't read that, but it's expected. Got to start from the bullpen and work his way up.