PDA

View Full Version : Article: Scouting with Sean Johnson

Jeremy Nygaard
02-09-2013, 05:36 PM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=1360-Scouting-with-Sean-Johnson

Jim H
02-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Thank you for answering my question. So if I understand you correctly, the Twins haven't really changed their philosophy in the drafting of pitchers. It just so happened that the pitchers they liked best this year, were mostly relievers. Ok, I agree that getting an ace is either drafting early or getting lucky. It is also true that the power arms drafted by the Twins over the last 20 years haven't worked out very well.

Jeremy Nygaard
02-09-2013, 06:15 PM
That's my understanding, yes, in the terms of that they relieved in college and won't necessarily be relievers in the pros

mike wants wins
02-09-2013, 06:22 PM
Great Q&A...I may not agree with every decision, but the Twins seem more available lately. As a fan, that is appreciated. Thanks.

Seth Stohs
02-09-2013, 06:53 PM
I thought it was a very fun read. I enjoyed behind-the-scenes view of the draft room and the process. It's fun to know.

The Twins have had a lot of picks come out of California. Hicks, Parmelee, Guardado, Harrison. Summers. Robertson. Plouffe.

Thrylos
02-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Good stuff :) Very insightful including the total disregard of the Twins' organization about analytics in drafting...

and this was a hidden gem:

Since moving to Target Field it’s like we moved to Taj Mahal. We have a room with a projector. We can watch film. We have a place to make coffee and can bring some food in. It’s got air-conditioning. It’s not the biggest room in the world either, but it’s adequate. So we’ll have about ten of our scouts and Terry Ryan is there for the whole thing.

that's for the ones who thought that TR had nothing to do in the Bill Smith years... Glad to hear the truth from an insider.

Seth Stohs
02-09-2013, 09:34 PM
Good stuff :) Very insightful including the total disregard of the Twins' organization about analytics in drafting...

and this was a hidden gem:

that's for the ones who thought that TR had nothing to do in the Bill Smith years... Glad to hear the truth from an insider.

I can't imagine analytics being terribly important in the scouting realm, and none of the questions asked anything about that topic. Also, I read the Terry Ryan comment as now that he's back as GM, he's there. I think it'd be reading too far into it to say that he and not Bill Smith was there in those years. Also, Ryan's role during the Smith years was scouting. He's said that. I don't know what more you want.

Jeremy Nygaard
02-09-2013, 09:55 PM
I specifically didn't ask the analytics questions because we've all read/seen Moneyball and I didn't want to make it a compare/contrast real life vs the book/movie.

I'm not even going to comment on the GM thing.

Twins Twerp
02-10-2013, 11:18 AM
Great read. He didn't dodge questions. Good time to be a scout with high picks in the past year and near future (next year more than likely too)

wagwan
02-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Wait where did the projected lineups of all affiliates get posted? I must have missed it....

dakotanative
02-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Excellent article. Being exposed to the inner working of scouting has always interested. I have coached numerous teams over the years from t-ball to high school to travel and the more a coach can be exposed to the way the pros think the better they can prepare their (high school and travel) kids to compete at the next level. Years ago we were at a travel tournament in Myrtle Beach, SC and had a break in the schedule so we took the team to see the local minor league team play. Well the game was the day before the MLB trading deadline and the stands were full of scouts. I had many informative conversations with these guys and so did my kids. I was hoping to run into a Twins scout, but no luck. These guys are the salt of the earth and Sean Johnson is very much like those I have met. Good luck in finding more jewels in the bushes.

Jeremy Nygaard
02-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Wait where did the projected lineups of all affiliates get posted? I must have missed it....

It's been an ongoing discussion on the message boards since the end of last season.

You can see my projections here (http://twinsdaily.com/section/901-roster-payroll.html).

jimbo92107
02-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Question for Sean Johnson: If a fan thinks he sees a promising HS player, is there a way to get video to a place where a Twins scout can see it? Would 30 seconds of medium resolution video be enough to make a quick judgment?

Jeremy Nygaard
02-10-2013, 01:23 PM
I'll let you know, Jimbo.

ashburyjohn
02-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Great interview, with credit to both interviewer and interviewee. As for the nugget that he and other scouts sometimes read here: I can't imagine ever writing a comment that would be worth their attention, so if by chance I get 10 seconds of their attention all I'll say is an echo of other sentiments here: thanks for your work, guys!

gunnarthor
02-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Fun read, great work!

Jeremy Nygaard
02-10-2013, 01:48 PM
Thanks guys. It was a lot of fun and, at least in my mind, something different, yet interesting.

Probably - ok, DEFINITELY - one of the least glamorous jobs in all in off sports, yet the future of every franchise depends entirely on it.

twinkies3
02-10-2013, 02:06 PM
How about the sweet shout out to Seth Stohs! I love that the Twins actually keep their finger on the pulse of informed writers like the guys on this site. Awesome! it will be interesting to see what we get out of a draft class that Sean doesn't appear to be too impressed with.

Jeremy Nygaard
02-10-2013, 02:40 PM
In response to thrylos, I talked to Sean to address your "gem".

Long story short, the draft is a big deal and the guys on top are going to be there. They are not making the call on picks, they employ people to do that. They aren't out scouting, so they're not going to step on toes. Scouts are on the road all year, spending the other 364 days thinking about "Draft Day", the guys on top are going to let them make decisions on the guys they've spent all year watching. Simple as that.

So regardless of who the GM was at that particular time, he wasn't calling the shots in the draft room, but he was present...

Thrylos
02-10-2013, 03:21 PM
In response to thrylos, I talked to Sean to address your "gem".

Long story short, the draft is a big deal and the guys on top are going to be there. They are not making the call on picks, they employ people to do that. They aren't out scouting, so they're not going to step on toes. Scouts are on the road all year, spending the other 364 days thinking about "Draft Day", the guys on top are going to let them make decisions on the guys they've spent all year watching. Simple as that.

So regardless of who the GM was at that particular time, he wasn't calling the shots in the draft room, but he was present...

Thanks for the clarification. So the decisions on who the Twins are drafting are made by Deron Johnson's group of scouts based of what they see without any sort of analytics input or projections. Correct?

Jeremy Nygaard
02-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the clarification. So the decisions on who the Twins are drafting are made by Deron Johnson's group of scouts based of what they see without any sort of analytics input or projections. Correct?

It goes without saying, but ties are broken - at least on the West Coast - by the players WAR in the Area Code Games. Of course, you have to normalize this number based on both the years since the player hit puberty and the humidity level. It's a stat only the Twins use called WTF+.

Seth Stohs
02-10-2013, 03:36 PM

What kind of analytics are you looking for in the drafting, Thrylos? Do you really care about the statistics of high school seniors, where every decent player hits over .400? Are you looking for college players with certain stats?

How did all those Moneyball draft picks do? Nick Swisher and Joe Blanton were guys that everyone was on... Teahen was OK for a few years. What do you want? I mean, aside from any reason to bash anything that this organization you claim to be a fan of does.

ashburyjohn
02-10-2013, 03:41 PM
They are not making the call on picks, they employ people to do that. They aren't out scouting, so they're not going to step on toes.

I'm confident that someone like Terry Ryan is very sensitive to the fact that with his scouting background it would be very easy to be seen as running roughshod over the guys actually doing the work now - careful not to start too many comments with "well, back when *I* was scouting...". On the other hand, I still find it difficult to accept that there is no difference ("regardless of who"), in how draft day plays out when a Bill Smith is in the big chair versus when Terry Ryan is - Smith will certainly defer to exactly whatever his chief of scouting recommends, Ryan would by contrast... what? The discussion as the rankings are constructed the day before the draft would have to be colored in some way by his take on how to synthesize all the information into a strong and cohesive draft for that year, and as draft day itself unfolds I could imagine a glance across the room to Ryan, where even a shrug of the shoulders saying "use your judgement" means more than not even looking in Smith's direction to make each call.

ashburyjohn
02-10-2013, 03:43 PM
It goes without saying, but ties are broken - at least on the West Coast - by the players WAR in the Area Code Games. Of course, you have to normalize this number based on both the years since the player hit puberty and the humidity level. It's a stat only the Twins use called WTF+.

+1. You win teh Internets.

Jeremy Nygaard
02-10-2013, 04:11 PM
The discussion as the rankings are constructed the day before the draft would have to be colored in some way by his take on how to synthesize all the information into a strong and cohesive draft for that year, and as draft day itself unfolds I could imagine a glance across the room to Ryan, where even a shrug of the shoulders saying "use your judgement" means more than not even looking in Smith's direction to make each call.

I wouldn't doubt that at all.

Jim H
02-10-2013, 04:54 PM
I always thought that part of the theory behind Moneyball was to draft college players because less scouting was required. Partly because their stats meant a little more than high school stats would, but also because college players would be a little closer to physical maturity so less projection would be needed when evaluating a player. Now I not sure what Thrylos' point in all this is, but I too have hard time seeing how analylic input would be very useful with high school players and even most college players.

As far as Ryan's part in this. I know he is a skilled scout. I doubt if he sees many or maybe not any of the drafted players. So I doubt if his input is very significant during the draft. He certainly evaluates players after they have joined the organization. There could easily be some pointed questions about why certain players were drafted at that point.

Thrylos
02-10-2013, 05:20 PM
What kind of analytics are you looking for in the drafting, Thrylos? Do you really care about the statistics of high school seniors, where every decent player hits over .400? Are you looking for college players with certain stats?

How did all those Moneyball draft picks do? Nick Swisher and Joe Blanton were guys that everyone was on... Teahen was OK for a few years. What do you want? I mean, aside from any reason to bash anything that this organization you claim to be a fan of does.

I do not see where you see bashing in the statement you quoted. And because you are fan of an organization, does this mean that you have no right to not like the way this organization is run, especially given the fact that they have not won since 1991? Does being a fan means accepting everything they do? I think that the opposite is true. If you are a fan you want your team to win. And if they do not win you want changes, and are not ok with mediocrity. That's where you and I differ Seth. I want the Twins to win (As much as you do too) but I am not ok with them losing. And being ridiculed the last 2 seasons in baseball. So I want changes and I am not ok with the people who have been running my team (to the ground). Some "fans" are ok with whatever. I am not.

Back to the subject. One can project using college performance a lot, esp. analyzing performance vs. certain opponents. Major college level ball is probably close to A level competition and JC level is close to Rk level competition for good school. As someone can (and should) analyze MiLB performance beyond "ability to spin the ball", they can analyze College players. High Schoolers are somewhat of a different story because lots of them have not stopped growing yet.

Jim H
02-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Major college level ball is probably close to A level competition and JC level is close to Rk level competition for good school.

I have seen this claim before. I really wonder how true it is. I believe I read recently that the average age in the Midwest League is about 22. That would be considerably older than the average age at any major college. On top of that most of players in A ball are either the best players from college or superior high school players who often have played pro ball for a year or two. What might be true is that the skill level at in major college conference is comparable to A ball. I doubt if the talent level is.

Thrylos
02-10-2013, 06:03 PM
. What might be true is that the skill level at in major college conference is comparable to A ball. I doubt if the talent level is.

I was talking about the competition level, not exactly the talent. And if you look at the draft, some college teams (the best) have most of their draft-eligible players drafted even if in later rounds and usually start at high Rookie or A ball in most organizations. Fact is that A level ball has older high school draftees and foreign signees who were weeded out in the Rookie clubs, so the talent level is higher.

The Wise One
02-10-2013, 06:38 PM
Thyrlos could have a point if there was a large enough sample size of playing against the top talent in high school and college. Did the moneyball book talk of doing data analysis on college players? I would wonder because Beane has had better luck trading for players than drafting.

Thrylos
02-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Thyrlos could have a point if there was a large enough sample size of playing against the top talent in high school and college. Did the moneyball book talk of doing data analysis on college players? I would wonder because Beane has had better luck trading for players than drafting.

There is a large sample size for college if you take the top competition the last 15 years or so.

Moneyball is a book. I am not claiming that the A's and Beane are a prototype to follow; there are teams that use analytics more effectively (Boston for one). Last I checked, the A's won as many World Series as the Twins recently...

Jim H
02-10-2013, 07:19 PM
I was talking about the competition level, not exactly the talent. And if you look at the draft, some college teams (the best) have most of their draft-eligible players drafted even if in later rounds and usually start at high Rookie or A ball in most organizations. Fact is that A level ball has older high school draftees and foreign signees who were weeded out in the Rookie clubs, so the talent level is higher.

I don't want to be argumentive, but all baseball is competitive. While major college baseball is certainly competitive, I don't think that will help much in deciding whether a guy can play major league ball. I remember a few years ago, one of Twins minor leaguers(one of Seth's favorites but I can't remember his name) had played with Nick Swisher in college. He was drafted in the middle to late rounds by the Twins. He even had similar college stats to Swisher. I believe he got as far as AA. I don't think college stats are very meaningful. They tell you nothing about where they are in terms of physical maturity, or what developmental stage they are at. Some people are physically mature at 18, most probably aren't. Stats can't tell you any of that. Most major leaguers say that work ethic and makeup are important to major league success. Stats can't tell you about that.

There is a reason why teams have so many scouts and why more than one scout looks at the top prospects. Even with that, there is more failures than success in a draft. Can the Twins do a better job of drafting. I suppose. But there is a certain amount of luck involved as well. Injuries happen. Some kids won't do the necessary work, no matter how talented they might be. Some probably can't handle the travel or pressure. The Twins organization can certainly be criticized on many levels, but I don't think stat analysis is likely to replace oreven be much help to scouting.

Thrylos
02-10-2013, 07:36 PM
I don't want to be argumentive, but all baseball is competitive. While major college baseball is certainly competitive, I don't think that will help much in deciding whether a guy can play major league ball. I remember a few years ago, one of Twins minor leaguers(one of Seth's favorites but I can't remember his name) had played with Nick Swisher in college. He was drafted in the middle to late rounds by the Twins. He even had similar college stats to Swisher. I believe he got as far as AA. I don't think college stats are very meaningful. They tell you nothing about where they are in terms of physical maturity, or what developmental stage they are at. Some people are physically mature at 18, most probably aren't. Stats can't tell you any of that. Most major leaguers say that work ethic and makeup are important to major league success. Stats can't tell you about that.

There is a reason why teams have so many scouts and why more than one scout looks at the top prospects. Even with that, there is more failures than success in a draft. Can the Twins do a better job of drafting. I suppose. But there is a certain amount of luck involved as well. Injuries happen. Some kids won't do the necessary work, no matter how talented they might be. Some probably can't handle the travel or pressure. The Twins organization can certainly be criticized on many levels, but I don't think stat analysis is likely to replace oreven be much help to scouting.

Doug Deeds. Drafted in the 9th round. Made it to Rochester in 2007 then was let go and bounced around. Last season was in the Angels AAA team.

I get the arguments you are making. And for every argument you are making about why numbers do not matter, I can make the same argument why opinions that were formed by scouts who saw someone pitch 10 innings or have 30 PAs matter even less. So you need to have a combination in order to make more informed decisions. And I am not talking about the kids who everyone knows that they will be a superstar (everyone knows those), I am talking about finding the diamonds in the rough who will have a great career but nobody knows it yet.

clutterheart
02-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Thanks for posting this. It's a very interesting read.

Q&a articles with folks inside the organization is just so Damon interesting.

By the way - he pretty much cofirmed that they will take a college arm in the 1st round is that right?

Jeremy Nygaard
02-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Thanks for posting this. It's a very interesting read.

Q&a articles with folks inside the organization is just so Damon interesting.

By the way - he pretty much confirmed that they will take a college arm in the 1st round is that right?

I think they top names on the board will be college pitchers. I don't know who the top guy on the board will be when they draft. If they picked 1-1, yeah, I'm pretty sure it would be a pitcher.

Badsmerf
02-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Awesome job Jeremy. I enjoyed every part of every question. Also, what a great interviewee! Very good, thoughtful, in-depth answers. Couldn't have asked for much more.

This is pretty much how a draft should go IMO. It is impossible to compare statistics of players that don't face the same levels of competition. I don't buy that something was different heading into the draft last year, they are changing for the better.

wagwan
02-11-2013, 03:19 AM
It's been an ongoing discussion on the message boards since the end of last season.

You can see my projections here (http://twinsdaily.com/section/901-roster-payroll.html).
Thanks for the link. I have been watching this page..... pretty good starters at New Britain

Blackjack
02-11-2013, 08:00 AM
The questions I would have liked to have seen is: How does a player like Bryce Harper fall so far in the draft and then become a superstar?? How come so many teams, including the Twins, passed on him?

Thrylos
02-11-2013, 08:32 AM
The questions I would have liked to have seen is: How does a player like Bryce Harper fall so far in the draft and then become a superstar?? How come so many teams, including the Twins, passed on him?

??? Nobody passed on him. Was the first overall pick and signed for record bonus ($6.25M) for a position player. Boras client.

FrodaddyG
02-11-2013, 08:43 AM
What. The. ****?

Brock Beauchamp
02-11-2013, 09:36 AM

You're talking about the Bryce Harper that made the cover of ESPN at age 17, left high school early so he could play with a wooden bat, and went as the #1 overall pick for a record amount of money? You mean that Bryce Harper?

Brock Beauchamp
02-11-2013, 09:38 AM
What. The. ****?

The Twins could have moved him to Venezuela as a 14 year old, put him in blackface, taught him a few words in Spanish, and then signed him as an international free agent.

Another classic example of this franchise's inability to think outside the box.

maxisagod
02-11-2013, 09:45 AM

Must mean Mike Trout.....

FrodaddyG
02-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Must mean Mike Trout.....My guess is Tom Brady.

Brock Beauchamp
02-11-2013, 10:56 AM
I'm most disappointed that the Twins failed to sign Zach Parise.

Blackjack
02-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Must mean Mike Trout.....

Screwed that one up didn't I??!! SI had a good article on him awhile back, how 24 other teams passed on him, now the Angels have a budding superstar. Goes to show how much of a crap shoot the draft really is.

FrodaddyG
02-11-2013, 11:16 AM
I'm most disappointed that the Twins failed to sign Zach Parise.
I hear they've really made it clear they are "very interested" in signing Diana Taurasi, though.

Brock Beauchamp
02-11-2013, 12:00 PM
I hear they've really made it clear they are "very interested" in signing Diana Taurasi, though.

It'll all boil down to dollars and years.

Jeremy Nygaard
02-11-2013, 12:08 PM
If my memory serves me, Trout's senior year was limited by a lot of rain and guys had a hard time seeing him play. The scout that signed him had a connection to Trout's dad, so he was on him more than others. Trout would have been a guy that Twins would have been high on - toolsy, but that was also the year Gibson fell into the Twins laps. It's hard to blame them when they got a guy that was considered a top-5 talent just weeks before the draft.

Ultima Ratio
02-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Glad to hear the truth from an insider.

Self-deprecating irony or accidentally walking into that joke?

FrodaddyG
02-11-2013, 12:40 PM
And how lax the Minnesota DUI laws might be.

ashburyjohn
02-11-2013, 12:44 PM

She has to want to come to MN. Sometimes you just can't give away your money.

drjim
02-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the article, good stuff on the draft. I especially appreciated the section where he compared their strategy to Houston and Toronto. I was happy to hear they at least considered different strategies on how to spread the money around. I still think Buxton was the right call and like some of the other picks as well.

As far as Ryan's role is concerned, I remember an interview from a couple of months ago where he answered a couple of questions on the draft and basically said he knows enough to be dangerous, that he might see a guy once or twice and makes a point not to have that shape his opinion or to try and influence the decisions that are made. It makes sense he would be in the room but I have doubts he does much in terms of making decisions. But the ultimate responsibility of draft performance rests with him.

drjim
02-12-2013, 08:30 PM
I'm confident that someone like Terry Ryan is very sensitive to the fact that with his scouting background it would be very easy to be seen as running roughshod over the guys actually doing the work now - careful not to start too many comments with "well, back when *I* was scouting...". On the other hand, I still find it difficult to accept that there is no difference ("regardless of who"), in how draft day plays out when a Bill Smith is in the big chair versus when Terry Ryan is - Smith will certainly defer to exactly whatever his chief of scouting recommends, Ryan would by contrast... what? The discussion as the rankings are constructed the day before the draft would have to be colored in some way by his take on how to synthesize all the information into a strong and cohesive draft for that year, and as draft day itself unfolds I could imagine a glance across the room to Ryan, where even a shrug of the shoulders saying "use your judgement" means more than not even looking in Smith's direction to make each call.

I think this is an interesting idea, but I would still think that the synthesizing of information into a strong and cohesive draft is the role of the scouting director. Ryan is most likely there to observe, make sure that the process is acceptable, and possibly to bounce ideas off. I would be surprised if he does much to help formulate the strategy for the draft since he would have such minimal observation of players.

Jeremy Nygaard
02-12-2013, 09:43 PM
The example that Sean used about TR helping was that he'd help take the tags off the board when guys are selected. So we're talking minimal involvement. The draft is a big deal and GMs are interested, he said its likely the same in every baseball city in America. The draft room is across from St. Peter's office and near Ryan's so a lot of guys will drop in, though the decisions are in the hands of few.

ashburyjohn
02-12-2013, 10:47 PM
I would be surprised if he does much to help formulate the strategy for the draft since he would have such minimal observation of players.

A lot of people prefer to draft the best available player in the first round (particularly a high pick) rather than draft for need, but after that first pick or two you can draft for need without too much compromise. If the GM feels the system overall is short on pitching, he will want the strategy to address that in the early to middle rounds. Maybe this will be obvious to the scouting director as well, but I would expect the GM would make sure everyone is one the same (namely, HIS) page on this. I think that's what we saw with the Twins in 2012. Maybe I'm a little too fanciful in guessing about body language from the big guy on draft day; I was drawing a contrast to the Bill Smith years when I would bet he had zero impact on the dynamics of draft day itself. The scouting team admires and trusts Terry Ryan and vice versa, and I can't help believing it matters on draft day.

diehardtwinsfan
02-13-2013, 10:56 AM
That seems good in theory, but BPA gets pretty hazy once pretty quick. Sickles graded Gausman at an A- with Buxton at a B+. Given that, I'd say Gausman was the BPA but he was skipped. My concern with this idea is that BPA is often fluid. I'm not convinced Buxton was the BPA, and he certainly was not what the Twins needed. The Twins didn't pass up Steven Strasburg or Bryce Harper to pick Buxton, but they did pass some very good options. They passed up several pitchers with a 1/2 ceiling that could have helped them in 2014 in favor of a very raw OF with a high ceiling that won't be helping any time soon.

Need has to be considered, espeically given the fact that after the first round, your likelihood of finding that special player that fills the need drops too.

birdwatcher
02-13-2013, 11:11 AM
I don't know what you guys are talking about. The Twins are completely clueless. Hell, they don't even own laptops.

TwinsTakes-RD
02-21-2013, 03:37 PM
Great article, Jeremy! I love the incite into the scouting by professional sports teams.

Does anyone else think it's crazy that the scouts only "turn in 900" guys when 1500 guys are drafted? That's 40% of the draft! Did they see those guys and just didn't like them so they don't waste time ranking them for their room? Or are there players they never see?

cmb0252
02-21-2013, 03:59 PM
While sickles graded gausman higher law, mayo, and BA graded Buxton higher. Does this mean sickles was wrong? Of Course not. Only time will tell.

Everyone, especially the front office, knows we need pitching NOW. Everyone, especially the front office again, knows we have outfield depth on all levels from low A to the bigs. Even knowing the depth the front office still takes a toolsy HS outfielder over a college arm. What does that tell you about how they, not sickles or law or mayo or BA, sees Buxton?

The twins spent a ton of time/money scouting and in the end Buxton was the guy. I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm not sure why so many of you aren't.

diehardtwinsfan
02-21-2013, 06:40 PM
I don't have a problem with them scouting Buxton, my point was that BPA is a rather fluid argument that is very much in the eye of the beholder. They weren't passing up on a no-brainer like Strassburg to get Buxton, and I'd add that had they taken Gausman, they weren't passing up the next Bryce Harper in Buxton... Both have nice ceilings, one was A LOT closer to it than the other (i.e. much less risk), filled a position of desparate need, and would have been on a timeline that would have corresponded with the next wave of prospects...

Jeremy Nygaard
02-21-2013, 09:06 PM
I think the Twins believe in BPA, but slotted their board according to BVA (value). Appel high in talent, low on value. My guess is if Buxton was gone the Twins were taking Correa or Gausman.

cmb0252
02-21-2013, 09:42 PM
I agree that BPA is fluid in this past draft and Buxton wasn't a Harper/Strasburg case. I would have no problem if you argued gausman, appel, correa, or several other prospects as better draft choices. The fact is the front office knows we are deep in outfielders, lack ready impact pitchers, but still took Buxton. This should tell you something. Maybe it tells you our scouts are morons but I think it just says how much they love Buxton. As a arm chair gm Im in no place to judge them. Our jobs aren't on the line, there's are.

Oldgoat_MN
02-21-2013, 10:33 PM
... The fact is the front office knows we are deep in outfielders, lack ready impact pitchers, but still took Buxton. This should tell you something.
Agree. I read at least two articles by scouts or analysts who said (prior to the draft) that Buxton should be the first player taken.