PDA

View Full Version : Campbell: Twins hope Hicks is next start in CF

Seth Stohs
02-01-2013, 08:57 AM
Twins hope top prospect Hicks is next star in CF - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/twins-hope-top-prospect-hicks-205154385--mlb.html)

Some great quotes in here, including a great one from Denard Span, "''In my opinion, he's ready for the challenge,'' Span said in a phone interview on Thursday. ''Why not throw him in the fire and see what he can do? I think he's mature enough to handle that now.''"

mike wants wins
02-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Great link, thanks Seth.

mcrow
02-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Yahoo does have some good baseabll coverage. This is a good example of that.

As for Hicks, I think it's a huge year for him and the long term future of the Twins OF. What happens this year with Hicks is going to have a huge effect on the OF in the next 5-6 years. Do we have the next Kirby Puckett or Tori Hunter or the next Denard Span or maybe not even MLB caliber?

Should be interesting to see how the situation developes.

LoganJones
02-01-2013, 12:04 PM
I think he will outshine DSpan for sure. Maybe Torii, too.

mcrow
02-01-2013, 12:08 PM
I think he will outshine DSpan for sure. Maybe Torii, too.

I think what we saw last season makes me think he could be that good but given the less than impressive rise though the minors I'm reserving my judgement on Hicks until I see how he handles the majors.

Willihammer
02-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Good guy Denard: 3 years on the trading block, eventually gets traded. Only positive things to say about his old team.

ThePuck
02-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Seems a lot of fans didn't really value Span as much as deserved to be. Maybe if he smiled more, laughed more...and misjudging balls more so he'd have more 'WOW' plays, he'd be more appreciated.

LoganJones
Good guy Denard: 3 years on the trading block, eventually gets traded. Only positive things to say about his old team.
Well, He has been put on a team that is closer to his home and will very likely challenge for a world series title. Twins did pretty good by him, all things considered.

ThePuck

Nothing but a class act...and a very good ball player.

mike wants wins
02-01-2013, 12:39 PM
Agreed, Span will be missed by many of us. Really grew as a player and off field representative over the years.

TheLeviathan
02-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I know this is a Hicks thread, but I'm not sure Spansie ever got his deserved sendoff. He wasn't anything special, but a damn fine ballplayer. He was probably my favorite Twin the last 3-4 years.

luke829
02-01-2013, 04:05 PM
I'm personally going the miss the phrase "Lets get Denarded", but that's just me.

Kwak
02-01-2013, 04:22 PM
I still miss Hunter--and consider him the best defensive CF the Twins ever had, including Puckett. Too bad Hunter couln't hit as well as Puckett. Summimg up, Hicks you have wished for a great deal from Hicks. I, too wish him well, but the bar you set is perhaps too high.

mcrow
02-01-2013, 04:28 PM
I still miss Hunter--and consider him the best defensive CF the Twins ever had, including Puckett. Too bad Hunter couln't hit as well as Puckett. Summimg up, Hicks you have wished for a great deal from Hicks. I, too wish him well, but the bar you set is perhaps too high.

I think of theTwins CF like this:

Puckett, Great
Hunter, Very Good
Span, Good

We may or many not miss Span. I think we might miss him this year but if Hicks plays to potential I think he becomes the better player of the two, perhaps as good as Hunter.

ashburyjohn
02-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I know this is a Hicks thread, but I'm not sure Spansie ever got his deserved sendoff. He wasn't anything special, but a damn fine ballplayer. He was probably my favorite Twin the last 3-4 years.

He's an average major league centerfielder, all things considered. A player has to be damn fine to achieve that. You do not trade one lightly, and Ryan didn't. I don't know what kind of sendoff would be appropriate, especially since the Nationals don't visit in 2013.