PDA

View Full Version : Article: St. Patty's Day is Separation Day

Jim Crikket
03-18-2012, 07:54 AM
You can view the page at http://www.twinsdaily.com/content.php?330-St-Patty-s-Day-is-Separation-Day

roger
03-18-2012, 10:13 AM
Maloney is on the 40-man roster. The Twins will get an added spot when Zumaya is moved to the 60day disabled list. A second spot will be available when they waive Jeff Gray. He will either be selected by another team or clear waivers and go to Rochester, in which case he would come off the 40-man roster. The only way he keeps his spot on the roster is to make the team for opening day which isn't going to happen.

Thrylos
03-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Maloney is on the 40-man roster. The Twins will get an added spot when Zumaya is moved to the 60day disabled list. A second spot will be available when they waive Jeff Gray. He will either be selected by another team or clear waivers and go to Rochester, in which case he would come off the 40-man roster. The only way he keeps his spot on the roster is to make the team for opening day which isn't going to happen.

Add Terry Doyle to the equation as well... This leaves 3 spots. I also got the feeling that a trade or 2 might be brewing as well...

John Bonnes
03-18-2012, 06:23 PM
I know Gutierriez has good stats, but I don't think he's shown that he can throw anything besides heat yet. I don't think he's really in the running.

By the way - I have no problem with Rene Rivera getting the 3rd catcher role. I'd like to see it, actually. Why the hell not? Pavano might like Butera, but Liriano had some success early last year with Rivera.

Thrylos
03-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Pavano might like Butera, but Liriano had some success early last year with Rivera.

That's probably the understatement of the century ;)

Here are FranKKKKKKKKKKKKKie's full season numbers per catcher:

Rivera: 3.86 ERA, 10 K/9, 2.8 K/BB, 1.21 WHIP
Mauer: 5.31 ERA, 7.7 K/9, 1.6 K/BB, 1.58 WHIP
Butera: 5.85 ERA 5.7 K/9, 0.9 K/BB, 1.63 WHIP

When Rivera caught him Frankie was FranKKKKKKKKKKKKKie. Just for that the Twins should have a. kept him last season in the bigs and let him catch Liriano all the time (cannot remedy that) and b. should take him up North now.

Seth Stohs
03-18-2012, 07:34 PM
Yeah, frankly the 3rd catcher does pretty much nothing for me. They could pick any of the three and I wouldn't be bothered in the least.

Jim Crikket
03-18-2012, 08:01 PM

You're right, roger. Not sure what I was looking at, but I didn't see Maloney listed on whatever I was looking at. I also agree that there are going to be roster spots opening up over the next two weeks. Funny how these things tend to work themselves out.

I'm also in the same boat with Seth... I honestly don't care who wins the 3rd catcher "battle." I've thought all postseason that way too much debate has centered on Butera and others. If that issue was really as big a problem as people have made it out to be, this team would be in great shape. But unfortunately, there are many much bigger things to resolve.