PDA

View Full Version : Article: Twins/Kernels Honeymoon In Full Bloom

John Bonnes
01-18-2013, 10:04 AM
Mike Hlas of The Gazette writes about Cedar Rapids switch to the Minnesota Twins (http://thegazette.com/2013/01/17/hlas-twinskernels-honeymoon-in-full-bloom/)and how it is re-energizing their franchise.

Last September, the Kernels ended their relationship with the team from Orange County and began one with a club in snowmobile country. Enter the Minnesota Twins, and enter some new business. “Our first impact was during the holidays, every day between Thanksgiving and Christmas,” said Kernels General Manager Doug Nelson. “We got two or three orders a day from southern Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, from Twins fans purchasing Kernels souvenirs.
“We’ve also sold ticket-packages to people in Dubuque and Waterloo who are Twins fans. We even sold a 17-game package to a fan in Rochester, Minn.”

nicksaviking
01-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Good stuff, Iowa's a swing state for baseball allegiances, it's nice for the Twins to get a little bit of a firmer grip on some of that cornfield territory.

edavis0308
01-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Good stuff, Iowa's a swing state for baseball allegiances, it's nice for the Twins to get a little bit of a firmer grip on some of that cornfield territory.

It depresses me that Des Moines only carried Twins games for one year on 1700. Or maybe it was two. (not to mention only one Caravan has been down here in who knows how long).

Regardless, I guess that's what two years of pure suckitude get your team as far as coverage out side of the state goes.

Seth Stohs
01-18-2013, 01:02 PM
mapquest tells me that I am just 650 miles north of Cedar Rapids. You know I'll be making at least one long-weekend trip! Looking forward to it. Will definitely miss the people in Beloit, but looking forward to meeting the good people in Cedar Rapids!