PDA

View Full Version : Article: For Better or Worse: Justin Morneau

Nick Nelson
01-18-2013, 12:17 AM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=1315-For-Better-or-Worse-Justin-Morneau

ericchri
01-18-2013, 08:39 AM
Let's see how he handles lefties this spring and in the WBC. If he looks to not be overmatched, then we can start getting excited. That's what dragged him down last season. He was an all-star vs. righties and a replacement level player vs. lefties. He seemed to be getting better as the season went on against the lefties after a horrendous start, so if he looks at least average against the lefties early we can hope for a really good season.

Chance
01-18-2013, 08:40 AM
Better .

jmlease1
01-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Morneau's splits are the real concern here: he wasn't replacement level against LHPs, he was downright awful, and significantly worse than his career splits. He frequently bailed out early against LHPs when they threw inside, especially early in the season. You could see he was still worried about getting beaned and ending his career. (not unreasonable)

He raked against RHPs. Was a serious power threat and capable middle of the order bat. But only against RHPs. If he can get back towards adequate against LHPs, he's going to have a significantly better season.

Dealing Morneau in the off-season would have been a mistake unless someone made a heck of an offer, because it likely would have resulted in being little more than a C-level prospect and would have been seen as a salary dump. So why do it? Better to see if Morneau improves and regains more trade value or can become a piece worthy of an extension.

mike wants wins
01-18-2013, 11:36 AM
I think he will be better.

Oldgoat_MN
01-18-2013, 12:20 PM
Better.
Slash line for July (.315/.365/.483) and August (.314/.345/.505) suggest he had worked through most of his issues. This was 194 at bats, so not an insignificant sample size. He may have gotten tired at the end of the season. It is a grueling schedule, especially for someone who had < 300 Plate Appearances the year before.
I wouldn't bet that he will hit .314 for the year, but I would put money down that he will be better.

ThePuck
01-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Dealing Morneau in the off-season would have been a mistake unless someone made a heck of an offer, because it likely would have resulted in being little more than a C-level prospect and would have been seen as a salary dump. So why do it?

because salary dumping is what Ryan does.

Jim H
01-18-2013, 07:43 PM
I am not really in favor of trading Morneau. It is not that easy to find middle of the order bats and Morneau is still young enough to be one for a long time if he can stay healthy. We don't really know if we have a replacement as a middle of the order bat either. Parmelee may turn into a very useful player but there is no way to know at this point what kind of big league hitter he will be.

Since money really should not be an issue, the Twins may very well consider signing Morneau to a multi-year contract depending on how he plays and how other people develop this year.

I also expect Morneau to have a better year this year as well.

lee_the_twins_fan
01-18-2013, 09:21 PM
Terry was right not to trade Morneau. I expect him to play a full year here in 2013 – and not be traded. If he does well, I suspect the Twins will work with him on an extension.

OldManWinter
01-18-2013, 11:27 PM
I think he will be a bright spot in the Twins lineup.

70charger
01-19-2013, 04:45 PM
Terry was right not to trade Morneau. I expect him to play a full year here in 2013 – and not be traded. If he does well, I suspect the Twins will work with him on an extension.

Although I expect him to be shopped hard at the deadline if he does well, I would be interested in the possibility of an extension if Parmelee doesn't perform or does fine in right field, and Morneau takes less money. I like Morneau a lot, so my judgment may be colored.