PDA

View Full Version : KFFL: Four Burning Questions About The Twins

John Bonnes
01-17-2013, 10:59 AM
KFFL asks four burning fantasy baseball questions about the Twins (http://www.kffl.com/a.php/132698/fantasy-baseball/Burning-Fantasy-Baseball-Questions--Minnesota-Twins--with-video-/all), but they're good enough questions for non-fantasy baseball fans:

What are Justin Morneau's prospects of returning to All-Star form?
How will Glen Perkins handle the closing job?
What will Trevor Plouffe do with a full-time job?
Where will Minnesota get its best starting pitching?

mnfanforlife
01-17-2013, 11:21 AM
Can I take a stab at these questions?

Thank you!

1. Morneau has a great chance to return to All-Star form. He hit great last July and August, and it looks like he may finally come out of his concussion "daze"
2. Perkins is going to be solid-above-average as an MLB closer next season. He will have an ERA under 3.50 and a great K/BB ratio, but will anyone else?
3. I would love to see what Plouffe can do with 500 Ab's as a third baseman. I predict Trevor hits 28+ HR's and drives in 85 if he get his 500 Ab's...a little risky prediction, but Plouffe showed he can do it.
4. Minnesota will not be happy with the production from Correia, Pelfrey, or Pressly. But, I predict Minnesota will fall in love with Gibson, Hendriks, Deduno, and Vazquez (http://twinsdaily.com/blogs/mnfanforlife/2198-turn-nba.html). IMO, those four pitchers are still better than anyone we signed as a FA or picked in the rule 5.

johnnydakota
01-17-2013, 11:30 AM
If Pressly is used right , he should be able to stick, as for Vazquez ,not to sure about him , but i think the other 3 will get plenty of starts..

go Twins

CDog
01-17-2013, 11:43 AM
1) I have a feeling Morneau's going to have a big year again. Maybe not All-Star big, but I think he's going to be better than last year.

2) Similarly think Perkins is going to continue about as good as he has been the last two years.

3) Plouffe feels like one of several big wild cards. I think he's going to continue what he's done, in some sense. Meaning he's going to be streaky as heck, go on some big binges, and have weeks at a time where he's b-a-d. The end result will depend on how long those peaks and valleys last, and I feel like guessing is fairly difficult.

4) Given no more additions, I think Worley's going to be the best starter on the team. I have a sinking feeling Diamond is going to falter some, and I'm only hoping it's not TOO much...but I worry. And I said long ago that the big mystery here is Gibson. I have high hopes, but tempered expectations (largely due to how he's used as much as how he performs).

nicksaviking
01-17-2013, 12:19 PM
1) Morneau is going to return to form....but on the road. .850+ OPS away from TF, .750- at home. Whether the dimensions are fair or not, there's something about that RF porch that does not mesh with his swing.

2) Perkins will perform well and get rave reviews. Debates will become heated come July when we argue about what kind of value a top ten closer should bring on the trade market and if a non-contender like the Twins can justify keeping him.

3) Plouffe starts off cold and loses playing time to the designated utility infielder but when an injury forces Plouffe back into the everyday line up in June, his bat wakes up and he hits his way into another 20 HR season while showing improved defense due to being more comfortable with his new assigment.

4) Liam Hendriks becomes the dark horse rotation leader being the only full-time member of the rotation to finish with a sub 4.00 ERA, sub 1.300 WHIP or a +7.0 K/9 while compiling a stunning 10-13 W/L record.

minn55441
01-17-2013, 12:58 PM
1) Morneau returns to all star form, bettering both Mauer and Willingham at the plate. He puts the injuries behind him, playing in over 140 games in 2013. As the all star game approaches, the arguments behind whether to extend him or trade him. Most fans will wish we had locked him up in the off season.
2) the twins start the season with a number of very close games and Perkins blows a number of save opportunities. He is demoted to a set up role and everyone agrees that should continue to be his role.
3) Plouffe gets off to a slow start in the field and at the plate. He eventually only plays against lefty's and finishes the season with under 10 dingers.
4) Pitching turns out to be our bright spot. Correia, Worley and Diamond lead a staff that keeps us in most games, but with no run support we only win 75 games.

mnfanforlife
01-17-2013, 01:44 PM
1) 4) Pitching turns out to be our bright spot. Correia, Worley and Diamond lead a staff that keeps us in most games, but with no run support we only win 75 games.

There are so many reasons why I cannot agree with this prediction. There are so many reasons to believe that Correia is going to get lit up (hopefully not as bad as Marquis). Worley and Diamond are the only sure-fire starters. And there are plenty of reasons to believe Diamond will have stats like he did in AAA in 2011 (not over-powering stuff, a lefty with no movement on his fastball, etc.). For that matter, how much can we really expect out of Worley, who is coming off a minor injury. Moreover....what if one of these sure-fire guys gets hurt in spring training?? how can one predict that pitching will be our bright spot in 2013?

mnfanforlife
01-17-2013, 01:48 PM
Nick Blackburn had a few decent years, but he is not an answer now. Diamond had one good year as a pro-pitcher above AA. And now he is our ace. Scary to think how bad our staff may really be in 2013.

minn55441
01-17-2013, 02:14 PM
There are so many reasons why I cannot agree with this prediction. There are so many reasons to believe that Correia is going to get lit up (hopefully not as bad as Marquis).

that is the beauty of predictions. Last year, I thought Texas and the Angels would be fighting it out for the best record in baseball and that the Oakland A's would be lucky to win 50 games. I though Ozzie was a great fit in Miami and with the new roster would complete in the NL East. Could I have been more wrong? I guess we will just have to see. Maybe Terry and his scouts got the guys that they wanted and our pitching will be fine. The lack of moves with the rest of our team should really be a concern. I have a feeling our defense will be just awful this year.

Boom Boom
01-17-2013, 02:28 PM
1. All-star form, maybe, but Morneau won't be an all-star in the same league as Pujols and Fielder.
2. Good enough.
3. Get stuck in Gardy's doghouse and replaced.
4. AA New Britain.

70charger
01-17-2013, 06:05 PM
that is the beauty of predictions. Last year, I thought Texas and the Angels would be fighting it out for the best record in baseball and that the Oakland A's would be lucky to win 50 games. I though Ozzie was a great fit in Miami and with the new roster would complete in the NL East. Could I have been more wrong? I guess we will just have to see. Maybe Terry and his scouts got the guys that they wanted and our pitching will be fine. The lack of moves with the rest of our team should really be a concern. I have a feeling our defense will be just awful this year.

This is so true, and it's why I love these kinds of predictions. Any idiot can say that Mauer will be good or that the Twins won't win 100 games. I'm much more interested in thinking outside the box. What could happen? Why?

Thrylos
01-17-2013, 06:18 PM
1. There are All-Stars and "All-Stars". Ron Coomer was an "All Star". There is high likelyhood that Morneau will be at that level. For the Twins to compete, he needs to be at the MVP level.
2. Perkins will handle it fine as long as he stops thinking too much
3. If his manager and general manager trust him and let him get his confidence up, Plouffe will be fine.
4. For the Twins to compete, they better get their best pitching from Harden, Pelfrey and Worley in that order. If Diamond is their "best" pitcher again, we are again in for a long summer.

Brock Beauchamp
01-17-2013, 06:26 PM
1. Not All Star but good. He should improve on 2012.

2. Nobody should care about the ****ing closer on a 70 win team.

3. I think Plouffe will put together a solid but streaky season. .775-ish OPS and much improved defense.

4. I think Worley will be their best pitcher, which says all you need to know about the Twins rotation.

Brandon
01-17-2013, 06:57 PM

I think he will hit .280/ .350/ .500 with 25-30 HR

Just fine. he'll get 30-40 saves and average almost a k per inning.

he will be a streaky hitter. fielding will improve throughout the season but be average at best but probably not that good but better than last year. going to go with .260/.300/.480 with 25 HR and he will get more RBI. probably close to 80. I think the 80 RBI will be the most accurate of my offensive predictions for him.

That is the million dollar question.

I think we haven't seen the last of DeVries. while I don't care if a player is from Minnesota or not since I don't live there he did limit walks and k at a decent enough rate. He only had 4 clunker starts and 14 decent enough starts he just doesn't go deep into games. He throws the same 87 MPH that Marcum throws so we'll see if he can be an effective junkballer in the 5th spot.

I am intrigued by Pelfry since I read he learned to throw a cutter last year and I would like to see if that helps raise his game as it looked like it after 4 starts last year. I will go with the prediction here of 28 starts 160-180innings and 3.75 ERA.

Diamond will be a solid pitcher next season getting between 190-210 innings of around a 4.00 ERA.

Worely is likely to be our best pitcher with around 180-190 innings and a 3.25-3.5 ERA.

Since I am so against the signing of Corriea its hard to be objective with him. but I suspect numbers similar to Swarzak in that he'll end up with around 100-130 innings ERA around a 5.00 probably 15-20 starts and 20-25 bullpen appearances as a long man. I hope he proves me wrong with his first 200+ innings season with a low 4.00 ERA.

Gibson will end up with less than 100 innings probably 15 starts and 80 innings. because he'll start in the minors then get shut down early.

I would like to see Dedunno get another opportunity too but he will only get it if he beats out DeVries. and that is possible too. Blackburn just missed his last chance with the surgery, Harden will make it back in the pen and become a top set up man. Hendricks is anyones guess. there will be several pockets of opportunities as my main pitching prediction for next season is that the Twins will use at least 9 starting pitchers next year.

mnfanforlife
01-18-2013, 09:06 AM
This is so true, and it's why I love these kinds of predictions. Any idiot can say that Mauer will be good or that the Twins won't win 100 games. I'm much more interested in thinking outside the box. What could happen? Why?

I love to imagine the possibilities too, but to predict our pitching is going to be good this next year?? That's beyond wishful thinking, and more closely resembles a failure in critical thinking. We don't have a single proven pitcher in our starting rotation. The two "top" arms (Worley and Diamond) have had two good seasons in the majors between them. Woof!

Now, if you want to dream of "what could be"......take a look at our farm system. That is where wild projections can be made. Believing in Correia, Pelfrey, et al. is the same as believing in signings like Jason Marquis and Sidney Ponson. MLB vets are known quantities...minor league prospects are unknown in a sense. Correia is not project-able by any stretch of the imagination. We KNOW he was a sub-average spot starter in the NL....ugh

mnfanforlife
01-18-2013, 09:08 AM
1. Not All Star but good. He should improve on 2012.

2. Nobody should care about the ****ing closer on a 70 win team.

3. I think Plouffe will put together a solid but streaky season. .775-ish OPS and much improved defense.

4. I think Worley will be their best pitcher, which says all you need to know about the Twins rotation.

This is probably going to be the most accurate set of predictions on this thread.

Riverbrian
01-18-2013, 09:29 AM
KFFL asks four burning fantasy baseball questions about the Twins (http://www.kffl.com/a.php/132698/fantasy-baseball/Burning-Fantasy-Baseball-Questions--Minnesota-Twins--with-video-/all), but they're good enough questions for non-fantasy baseball fans:

1. All Star Form? I'd say not because I expect other 1B around the league to have bigger seasons. I do think Morneau will hit around .290 with 20 Dingers.

2. Perkins will do a great job closing. I won't worry about the closer role at all.

3. 34 Dingers from Plouffe this year. BA still on the low side and defense will be solid.

4. Worley will be the staff leader... Deduno is my sleeper... He repeats his mechanics and his stuff still moves.

Brock Beauchamp
01-18-2013, 09:38 AM
If I was to create a list of Twins questions in 2013, it would look like this:

1. The starting rotation. Who will step up?

2. The starting rotation. Who will step up? Also, middle infield.

3. The starting rotation. Who will step up? Also, centerfield.

4. The starting rotation? For the love of God, who will step up?

Boom Boom
01-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Not sure how Perkins is one of their top 4 question marks. Were we any more comfortable the last two seasons with Matt Capps?

mnfanforlife
01-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Much less comfortable with Capps