PDA

View Full Version : Terry Ryan to receive award next week

Seth Stohs
01-03-2013, 01:19 PM
According to Twins PR Director Dustin Morse (via twitter):

Congrats to #MNTwins (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MNTwins&src=hash) GM Terry Ryan who will receive George Genovese Lifetime Achievement Award in Scouting on Jan. 12 in Los Angeles.

Jim Crikket
01-03-2013, 01:35 PM
While I certainly don't agree with every decision he makes as a GM, I have enormous respect for Terry Ryan as a baseball man and, particularly as a scout of baseball talent.

I congratulate him on this honor.

ThePuck
01-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Scouting is what he does best...according to him, he did a lot of scouting when he took time off from his GM duties. The drafts during that time, and international signings, indicate he and the other scouts were doing well. He deserves this award.

darin617
01-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Lifetime Achievement Award?

That sounds about right, the lifetime part that is. What have you done for Twins fans lately? Just look at all those solid IF & SP prospects that are coming up through the minor league system.

My fault, we are supposed to blame all things on Bill Smith no matter what the situation is.

mike wants wins
01-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Congrats to him.

Thrylos
01-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Maybe a little known fact (at least to the ones who have not yet visited Hammond Stadium at Fort Myers.) :

In addition to Hammond Stadium being the home of the Twins for Spring Training and the home of the Fort Myers Miracle in the Florida State League, it is the home of the Baseball Scouting Hall of Fame. A bit understated (a bunch of plaques on the wall), but Terry Ryan is already included among the other members.

So:

Terry Ryan is in the Baseball Scouting Hall of Fame.
Why would a lifetime achievement award would top that?

Kobs
01-03-2013, 07:13 PM
Maybe a little known fact (at least to the ones who have not yet visited Hammond Stadium at Fort Myers.) :

In addition to Hammond Stadium being the home of the Twins for Spring Training and the home of the Fort Myers Miracle in the Florida State League, it is the home of the Baseball Scouting Hall of Fame. A bit understated (a bunch of plaques on the wall), but Terry Ryan is already included among the other members.

So:

Terry Ryan is in the Baseball Scouting Hall of Fame.
Why would a lifetime achievement award would top that?

Is that the stated goal of this award, to "top" it?

Thrylos
01-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Is that the stated goal of this award, to "top" it?

Nope.
But giving a lifetime achievement award to someone who already is in the Hall of Fame is somewhat silly.
Like giving Babe Ruth a lifetime achievement award in Baseball.

SpiritofVodkaDave
01-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Nope.
But giving a lifetime achievement award to someone who already is in the Hall of Fame is somewhat silly.
Like giving Babe Ruth a lifetime achievement award in Baseball.
Gotta give you some credit on this one, you are digging real deep with some serious effort to find a way **** on the Twins front office with this post! Good work! You must be a great person to deal with in real life, I for one am jealous of all your friends/family/co-workers who get to spend their time with such a positive and intelligent individual on a day to day basis!