PDA

View Full Version : Article: Minnesota Twins Roster & Payroll 2013

Brock Beauchamp
12-31-2012, 04:18 PM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=1272-Minnesota-Twins-Roster-Payroll-2013

jay
12-31-2012, 04:29 PM
Brock, the scroll bar at the top of the MLB section isn't working.

Jeremy Nygaard
12-31-2012, 05:36 PM
Those scroll bars have been removed and the ones that function correctly are found at the bottom of the tables.

Shane Wahl
12-31-2012, 08:23 PM
Have you logged the hours you have spent on this? It's my favorite thing here (aside from Torii is a homophobe threads, of course).

Jeremy Nygaard
12-31-2012, 08:56 PM
No, thank God. It's been a lot. I had all of the information in an Excel workbook, so the gathering of information for this page didn't take long (for the spreadsheet... well, that process was ongoing for a few years.) On the update posted today, I actually shaved off a lot of time by copying the page back on to an Excel spreadsheet and printing it off to look for things that needed to be edited. (I would actually advise you to do that if you seem to come to the page a lot... it's much handier to look at if you have paper in front of you than, in my case, trying to view it on my phone.)

Regardless, it's easier to justify spending a lot of time on something that others can view. That's kind of how this page started, I would email updates to a buddy of mine, Jed, and he'd view it on his phone. Down in Beloit, sitting at the bar with Jed, Seth and Travis Aune, we were discussing someone in the system and Jed pulled it up to look at. Seth told me to send it to Brock and the rest is history. (Though the troubleshooting that Brock had to do today was probably enough for him.)

I'm glad you enjoy it. I'm glad people use it. It's not perfect but it's a lot of information in one place and that was the design. And plus, once you pour so much time into something, you can't not update it!

Brock Beauchamp
12-31-2012, 09:04 PM
Heh, glad to do it. This reference is invaluable. I check it fairly often when I'm too lazy to check teh googlez for information on a specific player.

Rosterman
01-03-2013, 11:33 AM
Not quite as detailed information wise, but a nice visual look at Twins rosters, majors and A-ball above in the minors.

2013 Minnesota Twins Roster - Majors View (http://twinscards.com/viewrostersyears.php?Year=2013)

Jeremy Nygaard
01-14-2013, 08:33 PM
Pretty quiet last couple of weeks in Twinsland. Today the news came that Blackburn is having wrist surgery and will be in a cast for six weeks. That makes his destined for Rochester's Disabled List.

Jim Crikket
01-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Jeremy (and anyone else, for that matter):

Having just completed writing a series of articles for Knuckleballs looking at potential 2013 Cedar Rapids Kernels, it strikes me that there seem to be a LOT of ballplayers in the Twins organization that really should be playing at the Class A level some time during 2013. I ended up including almost 50 ballplayers and most of them had some degree of success in Elizabethton in 2012 and I'm sure I overlooked several. On top of that, if 2012 is any indication, it wouldn't be surprising if a couple of 2013 draft picks get promoted to Class A before 2013 is over.

Is this normal? How many players would typically play for a Class A team in a given year? 50+ seems like a high number to me.

As I was researching the series, it appeared to me that moving up the signing deadline for draft picks could be contributing to a little bit of a bottleneck. In 2011 and before, a draft pick that waited until the signing deadline to ink a deal often didn't play at all in the organization that summer. They might do Instructs in the fall, but their first "real" minor league action came the following June with one of the Rookie League teams.There were a handful of 2011 draft picks in that category.

With the signing deadline moved up in 2012, all of the 2012 picks were signed in time to join Rookie League teams in July... just a short time after those late-signing 2011 draft picks saw their first action.

The result is that it seems like there are about 40 guys who, due to their age and level of experience last year, really SHOULD start their first year of "full season" ball this April. I'm glad I didn't try to predict the 25 guys who actually will make up the Opening Day Kernels roster, because I don't think I could have whittled it down that far.

Winston Smith
01-15-2013, 03:18 PM
I wish Terry Ryan put in this much time and effort into improving the product on the field!!

Jeremy Nygaard
01-16-2013, 06:45 PM
JC- I count 38 guys above who played in Beloit last year. There's been a handful released since last year and probably a half-dozen more who should/could have played there, so 50 probably isn't a stretch.

The overall depth is better, yes ... and some if that has to do with the earlier deadline. Regardless, CR should be good.

Jeremy Nygaard
01-17-2013, 09:02 PM
January 17 update:

Drew Butera avoided arbitration and signed for 700K. That adjusted projected team salary is still under $80 million.

Also of note, the players in the organization that are playing in the WBC are noted (and shaded red). You can find that information on the projected rosters.

Jeremy Nygaard
01-19-2013, 01:27 PM
January 19 update:

Brian Duensing reached a deal that will pay him $1.3 this year. (Very near projection.) Team salary was adjusted by $75K, but team is still under $80 million.

The Twins also signed RP Patrick Arnold out of an independent league. He's been placed on Fort Myers roster.

Jeremy Nygaard
01-20-2013, 08:36 PM
January 20 update:

Dave St. Peter responded to a Twitter question from "Fanatic Jack" Steal in regards to some uniform questions.

Updates include Pelfrey (37) and Harden (47) in addition to Hicks (63), which is somewhat surprising because that has been Joe Benson's number in both Spring Training and the Regular Season. Regardless, when Hicks makes his big league debut, I would expect him to wear a different number (potentially 2, like both his mentors - Span and Revere - will wear this year).

Brad Swanson
01-29-2013, 10:08 PM
I just came across this. What an amazing resource, thanks for putting it all together!

Jeremy Nygaard
01-31-2013, 01:26 PM
Mike Kennedy (@TwinsPRMachine) tweeted a photo of the almost-finished Twins Media Guide/Record & Information Book (which is a must-have if you don't purchase it) and there are a few numbers/players that are visible that weren't previously known:

Ray Olmedo - 1 (Nishi left thousands of these jerseys at the ProShop, heavily discounted.)
Josh Roenicke - 20 (Dozier switched to #2)
Chris Herrmann - 44 (Coach Bruno will wear the #23 that Herrmann wore last year)
James Beresford - 85

Jeremy Nygaard
02-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Updated to add Bernier (AAA) and Richardson (AA).

Personally, I think Richardson has a better chance of sticking. Bernier added to help cover the losses of Rosario and Beresford to the WBC.

Also, Tim Wood will wear #43.

Jeremy Nygaard
02-09-2013, 03:17 PM
All players have been assigned numbers. Enjoy!

Jeremy Nygaard
02-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Perez, as well as Harold Garcia, have been added to the organizational roster.

I also have an updated minor league roster, which includes the Dominican players as well. It's just a matter of getting them formatted. Hopefully soon.

Jeremy Nygaard
02-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Updated to include the 47 players that played/will play in the DSL.

There were also three Aussie and one Taiwanese signing that are listed with the EST guys.

jokin
02-16-2013, 12:41 AM
Perez, as well as Harold Garcia, have been added to the organizational roster.

I also have an updated minor league roster, which includes the Dominican players as well. It's just a matter of getting them formatted. Hopefully soon.

Your work does not go unnoticed or unappreciated, Jeremy. Getting things done all the way down to the DSL this early is truly above and beyond.

Jeremy Nygaard
02-21-2013, 12:25 PM
The Twins have agreed to contracts with the remaining 27 of their 40-man players. Doogie was able to come up with Swarzak's details, the rest remain estimates. If you catch wind of any contract figures, please link in the comments. Thanks.

Jeremy Nygaard
02-23-2013, 09:33 PM
With contract renewal details in the books, I think the R&P might be put to bed until first cuts... but who knows?!

LINK (http://www.twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=901-roster-payroll)

Jeremy Nygaard
02-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Thanks to our favorite beat writer for MLB.com, I was able to add some incentives for Burton and (assuming they are the same) Perkins.

Perkins should stand to make a few hundred thousand dollars extra thanks to the incentives.

Jeremy Nygaard
03-11-2013, 04:46 PM
The page (http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=1272-Minnesota-Twins-Roster-Payroll-2013) has been updated to include those who have been reassigned, optioned or injured.

Jeremy Nygaard
03-14-2013, 11:19 AM
Today's moves (players optioned or reassigned) as well as players knocked out of the WBC are reflected above.

Jeremy Nygaard
03-17-2013, 10:04 PM
The roster (http://twinsdaily.com/1272-minnesota-twins-roster-payroll-2013.html) has been updated to reflect all the recent moves. Obviously there are 42 players (among them 22 pitchers), but that number is a little misleading as four pitchers (Diamond, Swarzak, Harden, Perez) are expected to start the season on the DL.

Simply put, here are the roster battles:

LOCKS: Mauer, Doumit, Morneau, Carroll, Florimon, Dozier, Plouffe, Willingham, Parmelee, Mastroianni.

That leaves three spots...
Centerfield - Aaron Hicks vs Joe Benson
3rd catcher - Drew Butera vs Eduardo Escobar (who would serve a utility role as well)
Utility/extra outfielder - Eduardo Escobar vs Ray Olmedo vs Wilkin Ramirez vs Brandon Boggs (vs Jim Thome)

Pitching-wise...
LOCKS: Correia, Pelfrey, Worley, Perkins, Burton, Duensing.

With Diamond and Swarzak expected to start the year on the DL, that leaves six spots.

Favorites - De Vries, Wood, Fien
Contenders - Deduno vs Hendriks vs Walters, LHPs Robertson vs Hernandez vs RHPs Roenicke vs Burnett vs Pressly vs Perdomo

(Though I would prefer Deduno over Hendriks to start the year, I would be concerned about adding Deduno knowing that he might get squeezed when Diamond is healthy. He would be lost on waivers. Once he's up, he'll need to stay up... unless he absolutely implodes. In short, he'll need to win the #4 job for me to add him.)

Jeremy Nygaard
03-22-2013, 09:54 AM
Updated to include the major leaguers optioned, reassigned and minor leaguers who were released by the organization.

Rosterman
03-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Curt Smith and Chad Rodgers signed for the minor leagues.......

ashburyjohn
03-22-2013, 12:37 PM
I would be concerned about adding Deduno knowing that he might get squeezed when Diamond is healthy. He would be lost on waivers. Once he's up, he'll need to stay up...

That is a really good and succinct explanation of the Deduno Dilemma. All us armchair GMs need to see things through Ryan's eyes, and this is such an instance.

Jeremy Nygaard
03-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Curt Smith and Chad Rodgers signed for the minor leagues.......

Yup, they were added when they signed.

ericchri
03-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Out of curiosity, I was glancing through this spreadsheet, and I noticed the guys who had signed split contracts, with salaries for the majors and the minors. How does that work? Is it prorated based on service time they spend at each level?

Jeremy Nygaard
03-22-2013, 11:51 PM
Out of curiosity, I was glancing through this spreadsheet, and I noticed the guys who had signed split contracts, with salaries for the majors and the minors. How does that work? Is it prorated based on service time they spend at each level?

Yeah. Mostly everyone with under 3 years of service signs a split contract. Major league payroll is determined by only their major league salary and, quite often, a lot of those figures aren't public knowledge. (Those were the only three I was able to learn.)

You can take all major league figures and divide them by 182 (the length of the season) and then multiply by the days of service and that will give you the actual payroll.

Jeremy Nygaard
03-24-2013, 10:35 PM
Lots of Aaron Hicks updates. Also Tim Wood appears destined for the DL.

Jeremy Nygaard
03-25-2013, 08:51 PM
All of today's moves are included:

Butera and the others sent away from big-league camp.

The minor trade to bring a Gopher home.

Jeremy Nygaard
03-29-2013, 10:58 AM
The page has been updated. (And will continue daily or more until all minor league rosters are set.)

Some changes over the last couple of days:

*The top "PAYROLL" section is no longer divided by position as it was during camp. It is now listed by salary. As players are added/subtracted, the individual and overall payroll will be adjusted. All adjustments will be explained below where it says "Service Time notes with salary adjustments".

*The Rochester roster is nearly set according to Jim Mandelaro. I've adjusted accordingly, but only list 24 names. I would anticipate Eric Fryer being the 3rd catcher with Lehmann, Hanson and Bigley starting the year in AA. Davies and Augenstein also are still listed on the AAA roster, though not on Mandelero's. I would guess, considering their is still a move that needs to be made with the 40-man, that Rochester's bullpen is still in flux (as well as New Britain's catching situation, depending on who is placed on waivers).

*There have been a lot of names moved over the last couple of days as well, that will continue; so keep checking back.

Jeremy Nygaard
03-31-2013, 05:16 PM
The Red Wings announced their Opening Day rosters...

Some notes:

The projected roster posted a few days ago was accurate with two exceptions - Eric Fryer is, in fact, on the roster as a 3rd cater. Alex Burnett, no longer in the organization, has been replaced by Andrew Albers.

The Red Wings will have nearly an entire pitching staff (10 guys) on their D.L.

Deibinson Romero is on the Red Wings roster. He still hasn't obtained his Visa to leave his home country.

A handful of players - Bigley, Lehmann, Hanson - have been moved to New Britain's roster where they are expected to start the year.

Stay tuned for more updates.

Jeremy Nygaard
04-02-2013, 02:17 PM
All updated.

Jeremy Nygaard
04-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Page (http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=1272-Minnesota-Twins-Roster-Payroll-2013) has been updated to include the future transaction of recalling Hernandez (with salary details) and DL-ing De Vries.

Seth reports that Leachman (CR) is going on the DL, so both Cedar Rapids and Rochester will be a guy short.

Jeremy Nygaard
04-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Drew Butera headed to Rochester's DL. Eric Farris from NB to Roch. Rosters updated here (http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=1272-Minnesota-Twins-Roster-Payroll-2013).

No word on severity of Butera's left hand injury (he was hit by a pitch), but you can assume it might be a while.

Jeremy Nygaard
04-13-2013, 10:29 PM
Page has been updated to reflect today's moves. Removing Hendriks drops payroll by $465K.

More moves anticipated tomorrow...

Jeremy Nygaard
04-15-2013, 10:52 PM
Everything has been re-adjusted with Arcia heading back to Rochester. He made a cool $2,677 today. The Red Wings now have 26 guys on their roster, so they'll need to make a move before they activate Arcia (which I assume they'd like to do tomorrow).

ashburyjohn
04-15-2013, 11:40 PM
Everything has been re-adjusted with Arcia heading back to Rochester. He made a cool $2,677 today. The Red Wings now have 26 guys on their roster, so they'll need to make a move before they activate Arcia (which I assume they'd like to do tomorrow).

That comes to approximately $2677 per hit.

Jeremy Nygaard
04-16-2013, 04:27 PM
Arcia's arrival in Rochester put their roster at 26, so Bruce Pugh was transferred from Rochester to New Britain, who now have to make a move because they have 26 on their roster.

70charger
04-16-2013, 11:30 PM
That comes to approximately $2677 per hit.

Is that what they call "California math" there Bert?

Oxtung
04-17-2013, 02:03 AM
Is that what they call "California math" there Bert?

Nope, that's what they call sabermetrics.

Jeremy Nygaard
04-17-2013, 07:28 AM
Arcia back up. Mastroianni to the D.L.

Berrios coming up Thursday to Cedar Rapids (so I've added him).

Red Wings need to add a player. RockCats need to subtract a player. Kernels will need to subtract a player.

Jeremy Nygaard
04-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Following Arcia's promotion, Evan Bigley was moved from New Britain to Rochester. Jonathan Goncalves was sent from Fort Myers to New Britain.

By my last count, New Britain (26), Fort Myers (24) and Cedar Rapids (26 when Berrios joins) all have moves to make.

Purely speculation, but it would make sense to move J.D. Williams up to Fort Myers. Cedar Rapids has run into a shortage of arms with the amount of games they've played lately, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them carry an extra arm.

Nate Roberts, when finally healthy, would figure into the equation as well. With the exodus of Goncalves, the 12-0 Miracle are left with two true outfielders: Angel Morales and Lance Ray.

Seth Stohs
04-17-2013, 12:36 PM
Wickens and Pettersen, as well as Andy Leer, have all made 2-3 starts in LF already for the Miracle... Nate Roberts plays into that equation, for sure. Williams is a possibility as he spent last year in Beloit... That would open up a roster spot to get Drew Leachman off the DL. They'd still need to make a move to activate Berrios by tomorrow.

Seth Stohs
04-17-2013, 12:37 PM
OH, and as TAune2013 mentioned to me this morning, Mike Kvasnicka could also come off the DL and play some LF.

ThePuck
04-17-2013, 12:42 PM
where do we sit at payroll right now? About 81M?

Jeremy Nygaard
04-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Payroll is at $81.23 as the roster sits today. The number will stay in that ballpark, but will be fluid all year. (It is always updated above, in the very top section.)

Seth, another thing to consider would be activating Michael and using the others' versatility even more.

snepp
04-17-2013, 11:19 PM
Payroll is at $81.23 as the roster sits today.

All they need to do is sell a couple BP tickets and it'll be over 100 bucks in no time.

ashburyjohn
04-18-2013, 12:00 AM
All they need to do is sell a couple BP tickets and it'll be over 100 bucks in no time.

Jeremy Nygaard
04-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Miguel Sano no longer has to be added to the 40-man roster after this season. Apparently, if you sign after the minor-league season (but before the Rule 5 draft), you get an extra evaluation year. It's pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Consider... Max Kepler signed in July of 2009. He is not eligible to pay in any games until the following season (has to do with not being 17 before the end of the minor league season). But his "evaluation clock" starts and he'll have to be added to the 40-man roster before the 5th Rule 5 draft he's be exposed to (which is November 2013).

Miguel Sano signed after the conclusion of the minor-league season in 2009 (even though he wasn't eligible to play in it anyway) and because of that, his "evaluation clock" didn't start until the following season. Meaning he doesn't have to be added until November 2014.

It's really another "rule" that puts foreign players at a disadvantage. College players (like Kyle Gibson) typically need to be added at age 25. High school players (like Aaron Hicks) typically need to be added at age 23. International guys (like Oswaldo Arcia) need to be added at age 21. That could either be fixed by giving them an extra evaluation year. Or, like baseball is doing, making it an industry where MLB tries to limit the amount of money spent there. I'd opt for option #1 personally. But maybe having an International Draft could help solve the problem too.

Jeremy Nygaard
04-22-2013, 10:48 PM
A few moves to note:

Yesterday, New Britain activated B.J. Hermsen and released Marty Popham.

Today, Fort Myers placed Madison Boer (broken hand) and Ryan O'Rourke on the D.L. Taking Boer's place in the rotation is former Kernel Taylor Rogers. At this point it isn't clear if Rogers will remain on the roster after his start or if he'll be sent back to Cedar Rapids.

rikker49
04-23-2013, 09:09 AM
Who are the players most likely to fill the voids at FM and CR??? Will it be someone from the DL or a promotion?? I am hoping Roberts will be in the mix...thoughts?????

Jeremy Nygaard
04-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Nate Hanson and Mark Sobolewski have swapped roster spots.

It sounds like Cedar Rapids is going to sit at 24 until Tomshaw is eligible to come off of the DL. They have a rainout today and, I believe, a day off tomorrow.

No word on what Ft. Myers does. Purely speculative: Luke Bard will head to Fort Myers when ready. They also need an outfielder and J.D. Williams has been good lately. Not sure when Nate Roberts will be ready, but he would be a good option.

rikker49
04-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Thanks JN. I am interested in Rochesters roster as well. What will it look like when those pitchers start getting healthy? I think there might be more releases

Seth Stohs
04-26-2013, 11:46 PM
Josh Burris is heading to Cedar Rapids.

Jeremy Nygaard
05-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Been a bit since I've updated, but that's due to their not being a lot of action. Lehmann (from AA-AAA) and some guys getting moved across the street in FM is all of the action.

Jeremy Nygaard
05-18-2013, 04:41 PM
The latest update reflects both the De Vries move (optioned to AAA) and the signing of Parraz (heading to New Britain on Monday). I would anticipate Parraz getting a lion's share of the RF at-bats.

Rosterman
05-25-2013, 03:52 PM
I believe when Worley is sent down to the minors, he still gets the major league pay (as does Drew Butera) unless they signed an explicit major/minor league contract. Hicks, for esample, would egt less pay in the minors if he was sent down, being a first year guy...as does Arcia. And if theya re on the 40-man roster, I believe they are paid significantly more than msot minor league players....last I remember a few years ago was $50-75 grand for the season, pro-rated according to days in the systeem/

Jeremy Nygaard
05-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Butera gets full amount as an arbitration guy, the other guys who are pre-arb simply have their contract renewed (which is almost always a split-contract). Because I don't have the contracts in front of me, I'm just going with whats typical.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-01-2013, 09:32 AM
All rosters are updated - including the DSL affiliate, which starts their season this morning.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-10-2013, 11:39 AM
You can view the most up-to-date rosters as well as keep up on the Draft signings (1 so far...) here (http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?r=1272-Minnesota-Twins-Roster-Payroll-2013).

Jeremy Nygaard
06-14-2013, 12:01 PM
All rosters are updated through this morning's release/promotion/signings.

The minor league rosters also have starters 2-9 listed in order with their bench players (usually) in order by at-bats. (Rochester is more like 2-8, since they don't really have a third OF on their roster.)

Starting rotations are in order in which they pitch.

Bullpens are in order from closer to guy used in lowest-leverage situations. (Bascially, it's my "power" ratings for each bullpen.

Guys at the bottom of any given group are those I'd consider most likely for demotion or release.

(Even the DSL batters have been updated... not touching the pitchers... yet.)

Jeremy Nygaard
07-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Updated to include today's minor-league moves and yesterday's International signings.

ThePuck
07-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Updated to include today's minor-league moves and yesterday's International signings.

It's your thing so obviously your call, but I was curious why you'd add international signings since they don't go on the 40 man payroll. Be like adding the draft bonuses for the draft.

Jeremy Nygaard
07-03-2013, 11:07 PM
It's your thing so obviously your call, but I was curious why you'd add international signings since they don't go on the 40 man payroll. Be like adding the draft bonuses for the draft.

The far right column is the signing bonus. The page also includes every single player in the system, so I have to add them. Lots of parts to the page.

And the draft bonuses are included as well.

Jeremy Nygaard
07-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Couple things: moved the guys to AAA that were demoted. Officially, it doesn't look like anyone has been promoted yet, so that hasn't happened. It makes sense. I'd guess they're all announced sometime Thursday. (Funny thing, having three guys - making league minimum - off your roster for 3 days saves the Twins roughly $25,000 which was just a little less than I made my first YEAR as a teacher. Did I say "funny"? I meant "sad".)

Also, for full-season starting pitchers, I've added the their innings pitched (not for 2013 though), so you can get an idea of when pitchers are reaching the amount of innings they've done in the past.

Jeremy Nygaard
07-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Ok, so... it turns out the way that "signing bonuses" and "buyouts" are paid out versus how they count towards "salary" wasn't represented correctly so I've made some modificiations above.

I was always under the impression that buyouts were a check cut when the team decided to not pick up an option. Not the case. Let's use Glen Perkins as an example.

Perkins signed a deal for 3 years that included a $4.5m club option for the fourth year. If the Twins didn't want to pay him that, they could pay $300,000. If the Twins elect to not pick up the option, though, they wouldn't pay him that $300,000 at that time; instead, they've paid him an additional $100,000 in each of the first three years. If they do pick up that option, they would actually only pay him $4.2m during that fourth season (2016). If Perkins were traded, the "buyout" is still pro-rated over the 3 years and the team that received him would pay that part of his contract too. (I mention that only because Carroll and Burton are in the same situation.)

You can look above to see the breakdown of Perkins, Burton and Carroll's figures.

Another example would be Joe Nathan. The Twins had a $2m buyout for a fifth year, they had paid him an additional $500k over the first four years. They didn't really have a "Do we give him $2m or $12.5m" decision to make. They actually had a "Are we done with him or should we pay him $8.5m next year" decision to make.

Signing bonuses work different. To determine "salary" the bonus is pro-rated over the years, despite it being paid out in one lump sum. So I've increased Morneau's "salary" to $15m, even though he's only being paid $14m this year. Once Morneau's contract is off the books, I'm hoping that the Twins don't give any more signing bonuses to MLB players (but only because it makes it simpler for me).

Jeremy Nygaard
08-12-2013, 01:52 PM
I will update the page shortly, but before I do, here is an explanation of how much money the Twins save by trading Jamey Carroll.

Base salary - $3,750,000. Carroll will have spent all but 49 (of the 183 days) with the Twins. The amount that Kansas City will be responsible is 49/183 of their base, so $1,004,098.

There is also the buyout that needs to be considered.

According to the CBA

The buyout associated with the first Club or Mutual Option Year shallbe attributed, pro rata, over the guaranteed years of the Contract.

That essentially means that the Twins were paying Carroll an extra $125,000 over this year. Again, the Royals will be responsible for 49/183 of it or $33,470.

Total - the Twins shaved $1,037,568 off of this year's payroll.

This doesn't include any agreement between the Twins and Royals as I obviously don't know if any were made, but I would imagine this deal becomes a "cash" deal and the "cash" is a very insignificant amount.

ThePuck
08-12-2013, 02:00 PM
So what's payroll at now?

beckmt
08-12-2013, 02:06 PM
This deal has no impact on going forward as Carroll was not coming back. Let us focus on what the Twins payroll is for next year so we can start to be competitive.

ThePuck
08-12-2013, 02:13 PM
This deal has no impact on going forward as Carroll was not coming back. Let us focus on what the Twins payroll is for next year so we can start to be competitive.

This thread is specifically about the Twins roster and payroll in 2013. It's right in the title.

Jeremy Nygaard
08-12-2013, 03:06 PM
$81,459,389 (I'll double-check it after I update everything.)

This will not be a figure that you'll see anywhere else because it includes pro-rations, bonuses, etc.

Should be updated in about 15 minutes.

Jeremy Nygaard
08-12-2013, 04:03 PM
The payroll figure as of the activation of Ramirez is $81,426,767. (That figure is slightly different than above... but I don't double-check my math each time a move is made.)

nicksaviking
08-12-2013, 04:19 PM
While some may argue the Twins moved Carroll to save themselves more money, I'd argue that the Twins made this move to give valuable playing time to future lineup stalwart Wilkin Rameriz.

Oldgoat_MN
08-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Twins need to look at Florimon, Dozier, Escobar, Beresford, etc.

Carroll gets a shot at a post-season.

Good for him. Thanks Jamie.

Jeremy Nygaard
09-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Look at the some of the formatting changes that appear on this page. Is this something the viewers would be ok with? At this point, I'm looking to make things better without adding a lot of additional work (it already takes a lot of time). If I made the changes (and use Excel and the snipping tool), I can make it better and save myself a lot of time. Comments are encouraged.

ThePuck
09-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Look at the some of the formatting changes that appear on this page. Is this something the viewers would be ok with? At this point, I'm looking to make things better without adding a lot of additional work (it already takes a lot of time). If I made the changes (and use Excel and the snipping tool), I can make it better and save myself a lot of time. Comments are encouraged.

I think it looks good...and glad to see Ryan was able to get payroll under 80M. I knew if he tried hard enough, he could do it :-)

Jeremy Nygaard
09-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Updated with today's additions.

Spicoli
09-08-2013, 10:33 PM
What are you talking about when you say "Payroll under 80MM"? What does that mean? The Twins current Payroll is around 49mil... Yea its higher if you count guys like Morneau and Carrol who they had to pay this year but as of right now if we took this same roster into opening day next year the payroll is about 49mil.

Don't Feed the Greed Guy
09-08-2013, 11:12 PM
Nice work, Jeremy. So, does anyone want to venture a guess on how much Terry Ryan spends on free agent starting pitching in 2014/2015? More than he spent on Correia & Pelfrey?

USAFChief
09-09-2013, 12:09 AM
I think it looks great, and if its easier for you, so much the better.

thank you for keeping this up to date.

Jeremy Nygaard
09-09-2013, 05:37 AM
What are you talking about when you say "Payroll under 80MM"? What does that mean? The Twins current Payroll is around 49mil... Yea its higher if you count guys like Morneau and Carrol who they had to pay this year but as of right now if we took this same roster into opening day next year the payroll is about 49mil.

I think if you looked at the payroll grid, it would make sense. They've spent just under $80m on players this season.

Major Leauge Ready
09-09-2013, 07:31 AM
I think if you looked at the payroll grid, it would make sense. They've spent just under $80m on players this season.

So, when you see a team like Houston with a payroll of $21M do you just assume their entire motivation is to have the cheapest team possible? Based on your other posts you obviously know plenty about the game. You must understand that a rebuilding team is not going to max payroll.

Maybe it's just that I do this for a living but I find this zealous focus on payroll to be a very parochial viewpoint. The Pirates, As, and Rays have an average payroll of just under $66M. That all by itself should be a glaring indication that the keys to success for a team with leauge average revenue or less is not free agency.

ThePuck
09-09-2013, 09:00 AM
So, when you see a team like Houston with a payroll of $21M do you just assume their entire motivation is to have the cheapest team possible? Based on your other posts you obviously know plenty about the game. You must understand that a rebuilding team is not going to max payroll.

Maybe it's just that I do this for a living but I find this zealous focus on payroll to be a very parochial viewpoint. The Pirates, As, and Rays have an average payroll of just under $66M. That all by itself should be a glaring indication that the keys to success for a team with leauge average revenue or less is not free agency.

If you read the post Jeremy was responding to, and then read Jeremy's response again, you'd see that all Jeremy was doing was explaining to that poster why just under 80M was mentioned as opposed to 49M...

Major Leauge Ready
09-09-2013, 09:14 AM
If you read the post Jeremy was responding to, and then read Jeremy's response again, you'd see that all Jeremy was doing was explaining to that poster why just under 80M was mentioned as opposed to 49M...

My apologies to Jeremy. I replied to the wrong post. I meant to reply to your post. I assumed it was meant as sarcasm when you said you were happy to see Ryan got payroll under $80M and that you knew he would find a way to get that done.

Jeremy Nygaard
09-09-2013, 08:28 PM
I'm confused. Are we good here?

Thegrin
09-09-2013, 09:26 PM
What you are doing is most valuable. I check it several times per week. Thank you.

Shane Wahl
09-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Looks good, Jeremy. I suggest you keep it as manageable as possible for yourself!

Jeremy Nygaard
09-28-2013, 02:23 PM
I'm putting the 2013 page to bed. I'll be rolling out the 2014 version (which will looks similar) soon. The "excel pictures" are a little harder to read. They're also not searchable. So it will be back to normal, for the most part.

jokin
09-28-2013, 02:25 PM
I'm putting the 2013 page to bed. I'll be rolling out the 2014 version (which will looks similar) soon. The "excel pictures" are a little harder to read. They're also not searchable. So it will be back to normal, for the most part.

Whatever format or style you choose, you work is invaluable, and greatly appreciated.

spycake
10-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Love the page -- but is there any chance the site's right sidebar could be disabled for it? Lots of good info on the right side of the charts, but it gets obscured unless you scroll each table over... and then you can't see the left side of the chart!

If the right sidebar has to stay, maybe some kind of "mini-scroll" feature like the Baseball-Reference mobile site would be more workable (i.e. the left column(s) stay fixed as you "scroll" right to see more columns).

Either way, it's an awesome data source, and I applaud your efforts!

snepp
10-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Maybe this thread could/should be stickied for a while?

Brock, John, yes/no?