PDA

View Full Version : What about Shorstop free agent Aledmis Diaz?

Otwins
12-24-2012, 12:47 AM
Dariel Alvarez, Aledmis Diaz officially free agents - MLB Daily Dish (http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2012/12/14/3765956/dario-alvarez-aledmis-diaz-free-agent-official-mlb)

The recent Cuban free agents Chapman and Cespedes have done very well. Alexei Rameriz, a former Cuban shorstop has been decent for the White Sox. The Twins shortsop problem has no end in sight. We have not spent that much on our free agent acquisitions so we have money. The Cuban defectors generally get long term deals. I think so they can negotiate the salaries in the team controlled years. A longer term deal would fit well with the addition of our younger pitchers and outfield prospects.If they have favorable scouting reports I would like to see the Twins make an effort to sign him.

glunn
12-24-2012, 01:04 AM
Diaz looks like he could be the solution to the Twins' problem at SS, but will the Twins be willing to spend the money? I wonder what Diaz might cost.

Top Gun
12-24-2012, 01:18 AM
All I want for christmas is Shaun Marcum And I would be happy Just like a kid at christmas time. I know nothin of ss Diaz but I remember
Calvin Griffith signing alot of Cuban players and he did very well that way, I would be be very nice if we could do that again.
A very Merry Christmas to all!

YourHouseIsMyHouse
12-24-2012, 01:36 AM
A Diaz signing would be great. Not a guaranteed thing, but you never know.

Gernzy
12-24-2012, 08:47 AM
All I want for christmas is Shaun Marcum And I would be happy Just like a kid at christmas time. I know nothin of ss Diaz but I remember
Calvin Griffith signing alot of Cuban players and he did very well that way, I would be be very nice if we could do that again.
A very Merry Christmas to all!

I've wanted Marcum for awhile as well. It sucks because I haven't heard the Twins name when it comes to him.

As for Diaz, It's worth the risk. Can't be any worse then Nishioka... :rolleyes:

Brandon
12-24-2012, 09:27 AM
If they are from Cuba i think that falls under the cap of 2.9 million that teams can spend on international players. I would be all about the Twins signing one of these SS. There are very few options in this organization there. I am continually and annually surprised that the Twins who love athleticism so much do not have any worthwhile prospects at SS.

jorgenswest
12-24-2012, 09:29 AM
The Twins should definitely go after young talent. Some team will pay big. Diaz will probably take the best deal. The Twins can afford to take this risk.

He could turn out to be an absolute bust and they risk getting blasted by the fan base for taking the risk. I hope they take the risk.

SpiritofVodkaDave
12-24-2012, 09:42 AM
The Twins should definitely go after young talent. Some team will pay big. Diaz will probably take the best deal. The Twins can afford to take this risk.

He could turn out to be an absolute bust and they risk getting blasted by the fan base for taking the risk. I hope they take the risk.

So your saying they should take a risk?

kab21
12-24-2012, 10:06 AM
Because both players have played at least three seasons in a Cuban league and are at least 23 years old—Diaz will turn 23 in early January—they will be exempt from the international spending restrictions under the new collective bargaining agreement and free to command a larger contract.

This is at least one good thing about not signing anyone this offseason. Go nuts on this signing JR.

snepp
12-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Surely there must be a 2-year, $10 million dollar alternative out there that would be just as good.

TheLeviathan
12-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Yeah, these are the kinds of gambles I want this team spending money on.