PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to be dropped?

lee_the_twins_fan
12-20-2012, 04:57 PM
According to the Twins website, the Twins now have 40 players on their 40-man roster. If they add another player, who is most likely to get dropped from their present roster?

diehardtwinsfan
12-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Any of the half dozen guys they put on it a few weeks ago.

LimestoneBaggy
12-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Thielbar, Butera, Escobar, and Wood would each likely clear waivers.......Butera would as well, and don't forget Butera.

Riverbrian
12-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Thielbar, Butera, Escobar, and Wood would each likely clear waivers.......Butera would as well, and don't forget Butera.

I kinda think Wood and Escobar have to be strong opening day lineup considerations... You should consider someone like Butera instead.

B Richard
12-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Please lord let it be Butera

roger
12-20-2012, 06:28 PM

The 8 players added to the 40-man roster before the Rule 5 draft can't be removed from the roster at this time. That would include Wood and Thielbar. Players such as Pedro Hernandez, Alex Burnett, Casey Fien, Roenicke and Butera would all be eligible for some type of move.

drjim
12-20-2012, 06:32 PM
DeVries?

I think two more people end up getting dropped. Twins will still sign a SP and a CF.

Seth Stohs
12-20-2012, 06:38 PM
I think Butera would be claimed. The question is, should that matter?

I think it should for this year... He can be the backup catcher this season while Herrmann gets a couple of months in Rochester and is ready if there's an injury. It allows Gardy to have both Mauer and Doumit in the lineup together... (like it or not, it's the reality)

edavis0308
12-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Correia.

twinsfaninsaudi
12-20-2012, 06:50 PM

Does anyone else think Wood is going to start the year in the Twins bullpen? I do. He's got tasty Terry Ryan-minor-league-signing slathered all over him IMO.

lecroy24fan
12-20-2012, 06:55 PM

I think it should for this year... He can be the backup catcher this season while Herrmann gets a couple of months in Rochester and is ready if there's an injury. It allows Gardy to have both Mauer and Doumit in the lineup together... (like it or not, it's the reality)

I agree with this. It is a better option than having someone who should get consistent playing time and I'll use Hermann as the example here, sitting on the bench getting maybe 2 or 3 at bats over a week.

Also, it gives Gardy an extra reliever in a blowout. Then again, he strikes out too many hitters.

snepp
12-20-2012, 07:01 PM

No, it wouldn't matter, a .500 OPS has no place on a major league roster.

Jeremy Nygaard
12-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Interesting question... I don't think anyone really jumps off the page as guy #40 (whether that's good, bad or indifferent is another thing) because the recent additions are safe until the spring. I think it's gotta come down to someone from Pedro Hernandez or Anthony Swarzak. With Swarzak being out of options and the recent news that he was told (along with Duensing) to prepare to report as a "starter" (not that I think that makes a huge difference), that Swarzak is maybe most likely to lose his spot... and probably stay in the organization.

nicksaviking
12-20-2012, 08:21 PM
So what if Butera got claimed, about a hundred other no-hit catchers just like him will be looking to sign a minor league deal just to get a spring training invite.

jorgenswest
12-20-2012, 08:33 PM
Roenicke is 30 and has no up side. Wasn't Butera dropped last year? No one picked him up. I don't see how he I proved his stock in the last year. Worst case, Herrmann begins his career as a back up catcher this year or the Twins find another defensive catcher. I can't imagine that going from Butera to a Rene Rivera type would have any impact on the won loss record. Maybe the worst case is that they don't have a better option than Drew Butera next spring.

I hope they don't drop some of the younger players mentioned above. A lot of growth can happen between 23 and 27.