PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training - Game 14 - at Phillies

Parker Hageman
03-14-2012, 08:42 AM
No TV, no radio for today's game. (UPDATE: You can access the Phillies broadcast on the intertubes.) Wheee!

Need starting lineups? Joe C (http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/blogs/142621466.html) has you covered like a jimmy hat:

TWINS (6-6)
1. Denard Span, CF
2. Tsuyoshi Nishioka, SS
3. Josh Willingham, RF
4. Justin Morneau, DH
5. Chris Parmelee, 1B
6. Ryan Doumit, C
7. Sean Burroughs, 3B
8. Ben Revere, LF
9. Alexi Casilla, 2B
Pitching: Jason Marquis, Casey Fien, Jeff Manship, Esmerling Vasquez, Luis Perdomo, Jeff Gray, Aaron Thompson, Lester Oliveros, Sam Deduno.
PHILLIES (6-1)
1. Jimmy Rollins, SS
2. Placido Polanco, 3B
3. Shane Victorinio, CF
4. Hunter Pence, RF
5. Ty Wigginton, 1B
6. John Mayberry Jr., LF
7. Domonic Brown, DH
8. Carlos Ruiz, C
9. Freddy Galvis, 2B
Pitching: Roy Halladay, Dontrelle Willis, Jonathan Papelbon, Michael Stutes.

Denard Span and Tsuyoshi Nishioka will return to the lineup today. Their reward? They get to face Roy Halladay. Oh boy!

Thrylos
03-14-2012, 09:17 AM
No TV, no radio for today's game. Twitter updates only! Wheee!

That may be the case in Minnesota, but in the Philies will be broadcasting the game both on TV and radio (and will be on MLB.TV)

Parker Hageman
03-14-2012, 10:47 AM
The PiPress's Ben Goessling (http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/2012/03/14/twins-phillies-lineups-for-wednesday/) has a few notes on today's game including whether or not we should expect Josh Willingham to hit third during the regular season. According to Ron Gardenhire, no, we should not:

Josh Willingham hits third today, but Ron Gardenhire said he’s not necessarily looking to put Willingham in front of Justin Morneau once the regular season starts. He’s not worried about splitting up Joe Mauer and Morneau – “We’ve won a lot of ballgames with them going back-to-back,” he said – and the alignment today is mostly to get Willingham an extra at-bat.

John Bonnes
03-14-2012, 11:06 AM
ON the one hand, I want to turn down my MLB.TV, because I'm pretty sure the Phillies TV announcers are going to bet talking Phils about 90% of the time. But on the other, I kinda miss their coverage. We'll see how this goes.

John Bonnes
03-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Chooch throws out Span by a mile trying to steal second. I'm still happy to see Denard run w a little abandon this spring. Chooch has a pretty good defensive rep.

John Bonnes
03-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Willingham hits a bullet home run to right field. The only question about that one was whether it would begin it's descent before or after it reached the wall.

John Bonnes
03-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Phils announcers doing a lot of talking about the Twins, at least early. Wheeler is doing OK with background.

Twins Fan From Afar
03-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Willingham hits a bullet home run to right field. The only question about that one was whether it would begin it's descent before or after it reached the wall.

Good start!

Jim Crikket
03-14-2012, 11:16 AM
What the hell is he doing hitting the ball to right field? Doesn't he know he was brought in to PULL the ball? What a bum! #sarcasm

Parker Hageman
03-14-2012, 11:33 AM
@John -- GameDay says it was to LEFT FIELD. Considering his pull heavy tendencies, I'm guessing it went out to left and not right field.

Parker Hageman
03-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Another thing we should be talking about this spring is that, when on the field, Denard Span has been tearing the cover off the ball.

John Bonnes
03-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Sorry, I mispoke. It was to left field. He pulled a couple of foul balls and then got a hold of one, might have been a changeup.

Thrylos
03-14-2012, 11:37 AM
That last run the ball got in an out of Burroughs' glove. Not much solid D from his so far this Spring. Marquis is continuously pitching pretty bad.

John Bonnes
03-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Marquis 2nd inning isn't going to look that good, but infield D is hurting him again.
- 1st hit was a ground ball to Casilla's left. He had to range, dove, but overdove and the ball went off his wrist and into right field.
- 2nd hit was a hard hit ground ball to Burroughs (at 3B) right. It would've been a good play, had he made it, but he did not. Odd that would happen with a runner on 3rd base.
- 2nd run scored when Twins failed to turn a DP. It was a high bouncer to Casilla and to be fair I don't know of many IFs that could have turned it.

So a mixture of bad luck and very average fielding.

John Bonnes
03-14-2012, 11:41 AM
INteresting to me that Casilla is batting 9th, behind Revere batting 8th and with Nishi batting 2nd. WT?

John Bonnes
03-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Nishi's year continues - he just hit a line drive off his own knee. They're taking a look at him. Maybe that's why Gardenhire batted him 2nd - more chances for injury.

John Bonnes
03-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Oh, and then he struck out.

Twins Fan From Afar
03-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Oh, and then he struck out.

Not that it's funny, but I did just chuckle a bit.

John Bonnes
03-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Willingham strikes again. Opposite field ground gets through the right side of the infield (kinda looked like he got sawed off) and Casilla scores from second ahead of the throw.

Jim Crikket
03-14-2012, 11:53 AM
GameDay just showed injury delay... was afraid it was Casilla or Span. Relieved it was "just" Nishi.

TwinVike61
03-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Nishi's year continues - he just hit a line drive off his own knee. They're taking a look at him. Maybe that's why Gardenhire batted him 2nd - more chances for injury.

that's hilarious...

John Bonnes
03-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Parmelee just laced a home run to right field (really, right). Phils announcers described it as a cutter that didn't cut or a change up. I's also worth noting that Halladay is running on fumes. Still, Parmelee makes it 5-2.

Thrylos
03-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Parmelee's ball hit the back fench of the stands. Almost left the ballpark

pkmcko
03-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Its nice to see out starters hitting so well against Halladay.

Gernzy
03-14-2012, 12:00 PM
We really got 5 runs off Halladay in 2 2/3 innings? Plus 2 HRs? nice :D
Sucks its only spring.

Thrylos
03-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Burroughs boots another one...

twgstl
03-14-2012, 12:07 PM
ruled an error?

Thrylos
03-14-2012, 12:08 PM
ruled an error?
no ruled a hit
but it should had been an error.

woolhouse
03-14-2012, 12:17 PM
That's gotta be disheartening for Morneau... he pops out to second with two runners on, and Parmalee saves him two-batters later with a monster blast to right...

Mr. Ed
03-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Marquis is doing a poor Blackburn imitation. Best hope is he gets ready, does well and can be traded.

Gernzy
03-14-2012, 12:29 PM
I still think Marquis can do better then this, but he does need to show it sometime in spring.

Steve Lein
03-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Willingham's HR was dead pull down the line in Left. interesting to hear about Burroughs trouble with D this spring, thought he was supposed to be a stellar defender.

TwinVike61
03-14-2012, 12:32 PM
I still think Marquis can do better then this, but he does need to show it sometime in spring.

So far today Marquis pitched better than that bum Halladay.

woolhouse
03-14-2012, 12:51 PM
That's gotta be disheartening for Morneau... he pops out to second with two runners on, and Parmalee saves him two-batters later with a monster blast to right...
Plus two strikeouts...

mikeee
03-14-2012, 12:51 PM
What's up with Halladay?
I saw he had at least one other bad outing..

John Bonnes
03-14-2012, 12:58 PM
FWIW, Phils announcers thought Halladay was woroking on some different things.

I'm not too worried about Marquis - he's been a mixture of unlucky and victimized by bad D.

John Bonnes
03-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Manship is the first reliever in the game after Marquis. That's a good sign for him. So is a 1st pitch ground out, followed by a strikeout on that spike slider. (Knock, knock)

John Bonnes
03-14-2012, 01:01 PM
3 easy outs for Manship. Easy bouncer to 3rd, strikeout, high bouncing ball back to the pitcher. Faced Wigginton, Mayberry and D Brown. I'm really starting to think that Manship may be the setup man this team needs.

Fanatic Jack
03-14-2012, 01:01 PM
I feel bad for Morneau but maybe it's time to pull the pin. Parmelee is going to be a stud anyways and will really help this club. The offense could score 12 runs for Jason Marquis and it would not be enough. Somebody please tell my why this guy was signed again? Oh that's right he was dirt cheap!!

John Bonnes
03-14-2012, 01:05 PM
It may be that Marquis is poorly suited for the Twins because of their infield D, and I'd like to see some of those groundballs be hit less hard, but his stats are not giving him proper credit.

Shane Wahl
03-14-2012, 01:06 PM
3 easy outs for Manship. Easy bouncer to 3rd, strikeout, high bouncing ball back to the pitcher. Faced Wigginton, Mayberry and D Brown. I'm really starting to think that Manship may be the setup man this team needs.

Good for him.

Mr. Ed
03-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Manship is working his way to roster spot.

Thrylos
03-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Manship is working his way to roster spot.

Good appearance yes, but he still has options.
I think that at this point Burton and Maloney are ahead of him and Waldrop, Wise, Fien and Gutierrez pretty close to him. Still a long Spring. They just need to start cutting so these guys can pitch more to have separation

Mr. Ed
03-14-2012, 01:17 PM
Gray walked a batter, stolen base off Rene Rivera in the 6th, still 5-4.

Thrylos
03-14-2012, 01:19 PM
That stolen base, was totally on Gray. He throw one at the RH batter's box that Rivera had to reach to get.

Mr. Ed
03-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Burton and Maloney should be considered at the front. If they're striking guys out, that's what the bullpen needs. More K's,less traffic and contact.

John Bonnes
03-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Gray got out of the inning with a couple of fly balls to CF. He was not helped by his IF - there was a ground ball that probably should have been turned for two, but it wasn't.

Just saw highlights of several of the Phils runs. They were all groundballs to Burroughs right. I don't know if they need to literally plant him on the line there or what. I think the report that Gardy cited saying Burrough "can pick it" was talking about something besides ground balls. I don't want to speculate what that was.

glennhl
03-14-2012, 01:27 PM
Good appearance yes, but he still has options.
I think that at this point Burton and Maloney are ahead of him and Waldrop, Wise, Fien and Gutierrez pretty close to him. Still a long Spring. They just need to start cutting so these guys can pitch more to have separation

Good point about having options left, however, I'm betting that Gardy is going to put the best possible players on the field, with or without options. I think Manship is throwing exceptionally well this spring and I'm really hoping he is in the bullpen come opening day.

John Bonnes
03-14-2012, 01:27 PM
JUST a bit outside by Deduno. I have no idea who this guy is, I'll be honest.

Mr. Ed
03-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Morneau 0-4 drops him to .143, with 2 Ks today. Come on big guy, get it turned around. Sure pulling for him, after all he's been through.

Denudo sighting!

Fanatic Jack
03-14-2012, 01:31 PM
John,

Your one of the smartest baseball writers out there. Do you really think Jason Marquis has any talent? The guy was signed for one reason and that is to save Jim Pohlad money. There is a reason the new ballpark was named Target Field. What is Target's motto "Expect more Pay less." This is without question the Twins philosphy of the front office in everything they do. Just look at how many people they are projecting will step up and have a good year. Mauer, Morneau, Liriano, Baker, Blackburn, Capps, Willingham, Doumit, Marquis, Carroll, and 3 unproven bullpen pitchers. There is absolutley no way in a million years the team could be successful. It's like playing the lottery and soon Target Field will be like a ghost town. Other more optimistic people may write what people want to hear, but it's not reality. I really would appreciate your thoughts as what I see as another inevitable losing season.

Thrylos
JUST a bit outside by Deduno. I have no idea who this guy is, I'll be honest.

First appearance this ST. Had leg issues. Played for the Padres & Rockies a bit. Wild thing. Thing Jim Hoey lite

Gernzy
Morneau will get there. It's been awhile since hes played

Mr. Ed
At least Denudo got to face regulars. Good experience.

John Bonnes
03-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Well, just saw Sam Deduno for the 1st time. 1st pitch was a fastball to the screen. But he struck out that batter looking on a slider that fell right onto the lower right hand corner. Threw it for strikes a couple more times, too. His fastball looked solid but was all over the place. he's a 28yo RHP who was with Padres last year and is on a minor league deal. Interesting.

BTW, he gave up a hit, but rally was erased when ground ball was picked up by Burroughs to start a DP.

Twins Fan From Afar
03-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Morneau will get there. It's been awhile since hes played

I think there are two related issues: health and ability. If Morneau stays healthy, I'm confident the ability will come around. He's beyond rusty, I'm sure. If he can't stay healthy, then, that's where the retirement talk comes into play.

Fanatic Jack
03-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Twins Fan From Afar,

I agree with you!! I remember people saying the same thing last year. If Morneau retires the Twins will get back money for his last two seasons (2012 & 2013) because the contract is insured. This means the Pohlad family would get another $28 million to deposit in their already large bank accounts. I know it's depressing to talk about but sure glad the front ofice cut payroll by $15 million. This is essentially a $29 million dollar savings in 2012 alone.

Thrylos
03-14-2012, 01:55 PM
From Joe C:

Marquis not concerned about ground-ball hits. Said first 3 starts were
all sinkers and change-ups. Will mix in slider and cutter soon.

Thrylos
03-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Game over. Twins win! 6-4 Oliveros gets the Save

Gernzy
03-14-2012, 02:15 PM
Besides Morneau, offense looked good today.

Shane Wahl
03-14-2012, 02:30 PM
Sheesh, I forgot about Oliveros too. It's hard to keep track of all of these guys. How many pitchers are going to be cut this week, though? They can't all be destined for Rochester!

edavis0308
03-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Sheesh, I forgot about Oliveros too. It's hard to keep track of all of these guys. How many pitchers are going to be cut this week, though? They can't all be destined for Rochester!

I don't think we will need to worry about having too many good pitchers between the ML roster and Rochester. There are plenty of craptastic options to get cut.