PDA

View Full Version : Trade with Toronto Blue Jays

TRex
12-17-2012, 12:19 PM
If Toronto Trades for RA Dickey, they will have at least 7 starting pitchers for 2013 at over $50 million.

RA Dickey $5 million (at least)
Josh Johnson ~$14 million
Mark Buehrle $12 million
Brandon Morrow $8 million
Ricky Romero $8 million
JA Happ ~$4 million
Dustin McGowan $1.5 million
(Kyle Drabek)

I realize the Blue Jays get $9 million in salary relief for Johnson/Buehrle/Reyes, but that is still a lot of salary.

Would you be excited or mortified if Terry Ryan's plan all along was to trade for Buehle?

Twinfan & Dad
12-17-2012, 12:24 PM
I would take any of those arms that you listed.

Top Gun
12-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Mortified, There a still better FA.

whosafraidofluigirussolo
12-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Buehrle's still owed a bunch of money after this year if I'm not mistaken. And he's on the down slope of his career. I wouldn't want that.
The Jays have also been bitten by injuries to their pitching recently so I imagine they want to keep most of that depth, esp. since they're pretty seriously loading up for a playoff run. But maybe one of the lower-end arms becomes expendable?

greengoblinrulz
12-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Been hoping for a Brandon Morrow trade.....think this guy is hugely primed for a monster year

zenser
12-17-2012, 12:54 PM
ESPN reports Dickey agreed to a 2 year, $25 million contract. That is pretty cheap for a guy coming off a Cy Young. R.A. Dickey agrees to contract extension with Toronto Blue Jays, sources say - ESPN New York (http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/8754705/ra-dickey-agrees-contract-extension-toronto-blue-jays-sources-say)

mike wants wins
12-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Wouldn't it be cheaper to just sign a legit FA, and not give up anything but money, than to trade for Buerhle, pay the same amount of money, and have to give up something else also?

Knotholemike
12-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Would you be excited or mortified if Terry Ryan's plan all along was to trade for Buehle?

Ryan will not trade prospects for Buehrle and the 3 years ($36M) remaining on his contract when he probably could get Boras to agree to either a make-good one-year deal for Edwin Jackson or a 2 or 3-year deal for the same or less without giving away any prospects.

SpiritofVodkaDave
12-17-2012, 01:32 PM
I'd be very interested in Josh Johnson, Morrow,Romero or Drabek.

Drabek could be a good buy low candidate. The rest would prob cost significant prospects, it would be a good time to target Romero as well, but the Jays have no real reason to trade him.

Rosterman
12-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Buehrle is not worth it at the moment. Sign Saunders, but he is only needed for two years, so probably not worth the expense. I would still look at Myers or Padilla with a 2-3 year deal and an option for a 4th. I imagine Happ will be long relief. Right now, today, it doesn't pay for the Twins to trade prospects...that is their future. The bigger question is that at some point the Twins need to play prospects, which will be hard to watch and endure, but until they play, you don't know. Seriously, the Twins are rebuilding. I hate the fact of them not spending money, yet I wonder why spend money if it isn't going to make much of a difference...you can't necessarily buy victories. Too bad the Twins spent all that time and energy selling us on going to Target Field to watch baseball (not the team at that time). Now is when you have t promote the outdoors Target Field experience. TwinsFest is on the horizon. The Twins are all screwed up. Will be interesting to see how they spin 2013 and beyond.

Saul Goodman
12-17-2012, 01:41 PM
I'd love to see the Twins go after Drabek.

nicksaviking
12-17-2012, 01:44 PM
If the goal is to get the team K/9 under 5.0, getting Buehrle might be vital. Not a goal I'm fond of, but seems to be the current effort of the front office.

halfchest
12-17-2012, 01:58 PM
I'd like to see them buy low on Romero. Guess I dont' know why he dropped off so harsh this last year but I think depending on the cost he'd be a nice upside guy to take off their hands.

crapforks
12-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Toronto Blue Jays Depth Chart | MLB Baseball at CBSSports.com (http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/teams/depth-chart/TOR/toronto-blue-jays)
They certainly have some players I wish my team had. They really don't have many glaring needs that I see. Maybe they have use for Morneau (EE at DH, Lind trade bait?) or Willingham (trade Davis, or Rasmus?) I really don't know much about the team, who they prefer, who's expendable, etc. But they are as win-now as a team can possibly be, right? JW and JM both offer potential upgrades. I'm sure it's just a pipe-dream, but some of those arms would sure be nice.

SpiritofVodkaDave
12-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Morneau seems like an obvious fit due to the 1 year contract and the whole Canadian thing, doubt it would be enough to land much though.

Twins best friend
12-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Is it too out of line to wish for them to go after Drew Hutchinson? I was surprised I didn't even see him mentioned in the original post. Package Morneau with someone?

GCTF
12-17-2012, 06:05 PM
Is it too out of line to wish for them to go after Drew Hutchinson? I was surprised I didn't even see him mentioned in the original post. Package Morneau with someone?

As an added bonus Hutchison has already had his TJS.

TheLeviathan
12-17-2012, 06:06 PM
Yeah Drabek would be a mighty nice target.

Twins best friend
12-17-2012, 06:12 PM
As an added bonus Hutchison has already had his TJS.

It's like the chicken pox right? It's best if they get it young. In all seriousness though I completely forgot about his injury.

Top Gun
12-17-2012, 06:54 PM
If the Twins want a Blue Jay sign Villaneva would be the smart thing to do.

Big City
12-17-2012, 07:37 PM
The Twins best trade bait right now is Glenn Perkins, Josh Willingham, and Justin Morneau and trading any of those 3 would be punting 2013 which is why a trade with the Blue Jays wouldn't fit. Toronto's not going to trade any of the top-4 you listed because they're trying to win now and none of the rest align with our 2014-2015 prospects. IF the Twins trade Perkins, Willingham, and/or Morneau I'd hope they'd continue to acquire pitchers in the mold of Meyer and May. For example, the Mariners, Braves, and Rangers all have top pitching prospects that fit into our 2014-2015 group that we should acquire.

old nurse
12-18-2012, 08:44 AM
Given the history of injuries and ineffectiveness the Blue Jays would need to keep all of their pitchers.