PDA

View Full Version : Clete Thomas is BACK!!!

darin617
12-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Twins re-signed OF Clete Thomas to a minor league contract. Terry Ryan just can't stop adding "quantity" hopefully he can find some quality players to sign for depth...

diehardtwinsfan
12-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Last I checked, quality players don't tend to take minor leauge contracts.

Top Gun
12-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Ryan is a joke!

greengoblinrulz
12-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Ryan is running this team into the lowest point in franchise history........means whichever CF doesnt start in Cf....Benson/Hicks....starts in AA

Winston Smith
12-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Jason Pridie might be out there yet.

gmarais66
12-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Ryan is a joke!

For those who keep ripping Ryan for every minor league signing he makes, please stop. It's getting quite old and it shows you don't know anything about what happens in MLB, during the winter. Every team in baseball is signing numerous players like Clete Thomas. Every team needs organizational depth and fillers. GMs don't pretend that these guys are going to make a difference in the organization, because it's widely understood what their roles are. It's nothing to get worked up about and Ryan is not failing the organization or the fans by signing them. Every GM is doing it. They have to. Just follow the signings on this site and you'll see Ryan is doing the same thing as every other GM. Fantasy Baseball player news, injuries and analysis - Rotoworld.com (http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/mlb/baseball-player-news)

greengoblinrulz
12-17-2012, 11:04 AM
Signings like this will keep Arcia/Hicks in AA rather than ROC....this is what upsets me. Signing these retreads for AA is one thing, but blocking players who will be starting at seasons end is frustrating

Saul Goodman
12-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Signings like this will keep Arcia/Hicks in AA rather than ROC....this is what upsets me. Signing these retreads for AA is one thing, but blocking players who will be starting at seasons end is frustrating

You really believe that Clete Thomas is going to factor into how the Twins decide to handle Arica or Hicks?

Hmmmmmmm

Top Gun
12-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Ryan hasn't done one thing to improve the team, he can't live in the dumpster all winter and hide from the team and lie to the fans.

old nurse
12-17-2012, 01:03 PM
Why these types of players have to be signed is attributable to the lack of development of the outfielders drafted by the Twins. That someone would think they would block the development of a player the Twins have invested millions in is entertaining. Many of theses minor league FA will be a FA again depending on the development of the Twins. It is not inconceivable that Hicks, Benson, and Arcia would be up with the big league club in May whenever their super 2 time has passed. Then they would need the Thomas types unless Ramirez, Wilkins and Ray show so much at AA that they need to be promoted. Highly unlikely

Twinfan & Dad
12-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Bill Smith was the joke. T Ryan has to come in and clean up the mess. As for Thomas, we have seen what he does. If he does make the roster at Triple A he will not block the advancement of the young guys. Everyone knows that many playesr make the jump from AA to the Bigs nowdays. AAA many times is used for older guys trying to make their way back or on rehab. It all depends where the club needs fillers. Some guys will start at AA and others at AAA and if the AA guy is tearing it up he either gets a few more atbats at AAA or goes straight up.

ashburyjohn
12-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Jason Pridie might be out there yet.

Jason Tyner too.

Rosterman
12-17-2012, 01:26 PM
And some folks wanted us to bring back Andres Torres. Hey, is Mike Restovich still out there?

PseudoSABR
12-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Ryan hasn't done one thing to improve the teamYou're never going to convince anyone with asinine hyperbole like this.

Boom Boom
12-17-2012, 01:41 PM
At least the fans at Rochester can enjoy the cool breeze coming from Thomas's bat.

spideyo
12-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Last I checked, Clete Thomas can cover all three OF positions, so he isn't nesc. blocking anyone from getting to AAA.

This signing actually gives us more flexibility in the system. People tend to forget that we do need to field teams at all our minor league affiliates. Having "roster fillers" like Thomas means we can put Hicks in the best spot for him and for the organization without having to worry that we'll leave Rochester without a center fielder.

My understanding of a minor league contract means we can stick clete in AA too, if that's where we need him so we can move our prospects up

mike wants wins
12-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Clete Thomas is not going to report to AA. As for the question of the number of OF and where they play, maybe this means Hicks will actually start in MN. I doubt it, but maybe they are serious about that.

LimestoneBaggy
12-17-2012, 03:11 PM
It's a minor league contract. TR, JR, or FDR for that matter can/should/will sign anyone they want to fill out the minors roster. The only reason we should be getting upset at this at all is if it gets so bad the Twins actually call him up again (without earning it.....it's always possible he could have a BABIP of .500). If he did "earn" a call up, 2013 went as bad as we all think it will.

Then again, the Twins are probably building for 2014-2015, and very few GM's are going to overtly say "We're going to suck this year, but stick with us, eventually, we'll be .500 again." I'm on record saying I like the moves TR made this year (DISCLAIMER: K.CORR didn't happen, we're all in a shared dream).

old nurse
12-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Jason Tyner too.

Jason Vorhees might also be available.

BobbyBaseball70
12-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Signing another just allows their current prospects to rot in the minor leagues. It happens everywhere. Guys are dying on the vine and not pushed to their potential.

Shane Wahl
12-17-2012, 11:11 PM
Let us look for Shawn Roof and Joe Thurston while we are at it! Bring all terrible fillers back into the system and keep prospects down!

Rochester has the following outfielders: Hicks, Arcia, Benson, Ramirez, and Bigley already. If Hicks is with the Twins, that still leaves 4 (that I can think of immediately--is Dinkelman still around?) outfielders.

old nurse
12-17-2012, 11:38 PM
Let us look for Shawn Roof and Joe Thurston while we are at it! Bring all terrible fillers back into the system and keep prospects down!

Rochester has the following outfielders: Hicks, Arcia, Benson, Ramirez, and Bigley already. If Hicks is with the Twins, that still leaves 4 (that I can think of immediately--is Dinkelman still around?) outfielders.
So Thomas is your 4th outfielder. What is the problem with that?

johnnydakota
12-17-2012, 11:49 PM
wheres lew ford when you need him?

ashburyjohn
12-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Jason Vorhees might also be available.

I don't think it would be practical to convert him from hockey goalie to outfield.