PDA

View Full Version : John Lannan to the Phillies

Einstein
12-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Another one gone. Reported 1 year, $2.5 million w/incentives. I'm starting to wonder about TR. Twins couldn't top that? And why did they spend so much more on Correia?

Phillies sign pitcher John Lannan to one-year deal according to reports | NJ.com (http://www.nj.com/phillies/index.ssf/2012/12/phillies_sign_pitcher_john_lan.html)

Tcrose3636
12-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Wow, this is disappointing....

ScottyB
12-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Much prefer Lannan to Corriea

edavis0308
12-15-2012, 12:05 PM
Sometimes you have to overpay if you want the crown jewels of the free agent crop.

nicksaviking
12-15-2012, 12:50 PM
I would have preferred Lannen because he is younger and cheaper than Correia. Otherwise it is a wash seeing as they are pitching clones.

Top Gun
12-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Wow the Philly made a haul on that deal.

snepp
It's a good thing they jumped on Correia before someone else could snatch him up at a bargain price.

*sigh*

rickyriolo
i would have preferred Lannen as well over Corriea and he is left handed...2.5M vs. the 10M we spent on Corriea.....PUNT the 2013 season. Glad i am not a season ticket holder

h2oface
12-15-2012, 01:59 PM
Now that didn't seem too hard or too many years or too much money, eh Terry Ryan? It makes your Corriea signing look awful.

spycake
12-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Lannan is from New York state, so he probably preferred to stay on the east coast and close to his hometown. That said, his arbitration estimate was around $5 million, so Terry Ryan could have offered Washington a PTBNL and gotten Lannan in trade for about 1/5 without needing to bid on him. Probably could have had him for 1/5 guaranteed anyway, against the Phillies 1/2.5 + 2.5 incentives deal.

twinswon1991
12-15-2012, 02:40 PM
I think it is time to put Terry Ryan out to pasture. The game has passed him by long ago!

After seeing some of the other trades for prospects this offseason you could argue he acted WAY too soon in trading Revere and Span.

This team is doomed until TR and his good ole boys have been fired.

Why not take that 10 million he lit on fire when signing Correia and use it to pry away Tampa's GM so we can get set on a decent course???

jorgenswest
12-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Is it possible that Lannon took this deal because it is better than the Correia deal from his perspective?

It is also carries greater risk.

Let's assume Lannon is betting on himself meeting the incentives. His salary for 2013 is 5 million - 500k better than Correia. He also becomes a free agent or accepts arbitration. An average season will bring him much more than what Correia will get for 2014. He also gets to pitch in the NL for a better team. Both will improve his 2013 numbers and 2014 contract.

I don't agree with the Correia signing. I can see why Lannon would prefer this deal and particularly a one year deal.

PseudoSABR
12-15-2012, 03:08 PM
ugh

drjim
12-15-2012, 03:40 PM
I actually think Correia is a better pitcher - though Lannan will probably have a the better year being in the NL.

Lannan has the much better contract.

iastfan112
12-15-2012, 04:45 PM
I actually think Correia is a better pitcher - though Lannan will probably have a the better year being in the NL.

Lannan has the much better contract.

Agree on all counts, though Correia isn't much better.

raindog
12-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Sheesh. I'm no fan of Lannan, but this signing doesn't make me feel like the Correia contract was market value. Not that I did to begin with.

howeda7
12-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Lannan is at least as good as Corriea, IMO and could have gone in the pen if the young guys do well. Corriea signing looks much worse now. I figured Lannan would get at least as much as him.

beckmt
12-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Is it possible that Lannon took this deal because it is better than the Correia deal from his perspective?

It is also carries greater risk.

Let's assume Lannon is betting on himself meeting the incentives. His salary for 2013 is 5 million - 500k better than Correia. He also becomes a free agent or accepts arbitration. An average season will bring him much more than what Correia will get for 2014. He also gets to pitch in the NL for a better team. Both will improve his 2013 numbers and 2014 contract.

I don't agree with the Correia signing. I can see why Lannon would prefer this deal and particularly a one year deal.
Agreed, Lannan was probably not interested in the Twins and this deal is the same as Correia, but Lannan will have better numbers at the end of the year (won - lost) anyway. ERA and HR's will be worse in Phil.

howeda7
12-15-2012, 10:07 PM
nm.

USAFChief
12-15-2012, 11:39 PM
There are posters here seriously proposing that Lannon preferred $2.5m guaranteed over $10m guaranteed?

seriously?

70charger
12-15-2012, 11:55 PM
There are posters here seriously proposing that Lannon preferred $2.5m guaranteed over $10m guaranteed?

seriously?

Oh totally. I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Wait, how does addition work?

jorgenswest
12-16-2012, 12:26 AM
I do think Lannon would only do a one year deal. His one year deal with incentive will better Correia's one year deal.

He has to believe that he can go to the Phillies and put up Blanton like numbers. Once he does that, he will far exceed Correia's deal.

He does risk injury, but the reward of taking a one year deal is well within reason.

As for the Twins, they did not sign Baker because he wouldn't commit a second year. That second year might have been a key to them. Guys like Lannon and Baker want to do a one year deal and put up numbers. Decline phase guys like Correia need to squeeze out every dollar they can before the door closes on their career.

I would rather have Lannon or Baker and risk losing them after the year.

jokin
12-16-2012, 07:12 AM
I would have preferred Lannen because he is younger and cheaper than Correia. Otherwise it is a wash seeing as they are pitching clones.

Close to a wash, but this number stands out:

Lannan GB% 53/FB% 27
Correia GB% 44/FB% 36 (2012 #s nothwithstanding)

So the Twins traded their 2 best defensive OFers and offset that by getting the 33%-more of a flyball-prone FA starting pitcher AND paid alot more in guaranteed money besides?

They must REALLY hate Lannan to not have gotten him in as a throw-in in the Span deal.

diehardtwinsfan
12-16-2012, 11:31 AM
They must REALLY hate Lannan to not have gotten him in as a throw-in in the Span deal.

How does that work given that he was a free agent?

SgtSchmidt11
12-16-2012, 01:31 PM
The Span trade happened before Lannan was non-tendered, so the Twins could have said "hey give us the cherry on top and send us Lannan, we'll pick up his arb year." The Nats would have lost or given up anything more than they did but the Twins would have automatically had Lannan.

jorgenswest
12-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Good point. The Twins could have John Lannan. He was projected to get 5 million or more in arbitration.

I would have preferred him than Correia.

I think Terry Ryan is looking for players that the Twins can count on in 2013 and 2014. That is why they needed the option in a Baker deal. That may be why they did not want to pay Lannan 5+ million in 2013 only to have him resurrect his career and leave in 2014. Maybe that is why a they favored a two year Correia deal. An extension to Burton fits the plan.

If Ryan is thinking 2014 as he builds 2013, it would seem like a Morneau trade should be part of the same plan.