12-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Punto could be coming back!!!

Shane Wahl
12-13-2012, 10:04 AM
Let's hope not.

Boom Boom
12-13-2012, 10:12 AM
I never liked Punto.

I think he'd be better than Florimon, though...

gunnarthor
12-13-2012, 10:16 AM
How's his defense grade out now? He was a very good defender when he was with us. I wouldn't be shocked if he came back.

SpiritofVodkaDave
12-13-2012, 10:18 AM
I'd love to see Punto back in a Twins uniform. The minute we got rid of that scrappy son of a bitch our team went to ****.

Shane Wahl
12-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Florimon will be better in 2013 than Nick Punto in 2013.

beehles
12-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Let's hope Gardy doesn't get his hands back on Punto, probably hasn't slept since the guy left.

Boom Boom
12-13-2012, 10:23 AM

I know we're still upset about LNP getting thrown out over-running third base... but you have to reach base to get thrown out at third. I'm not convinced Florimon can do that.

That's not to say I want Punto back. I'd rather not have either of them.

ChiTownTwinsFan
12-13-2012, 10:25 AM

I wouldn't bet on that.

Not saying I want Punto back, but I'm not certain he'd be worse than what we have.

TK10
12-13-2012, 10:31 AM
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology's (MIT) new 2013 statistical analysis has been released. Now, when it comes to Punto, some numbers are alarming, which shouldn't be a surprise given his age. First concern: his ability to hit breaking balls from left handed pitchers who are taller than 6-3 has dropped by a 1/4 each year for the last three years. Oddly, his ability to hit breaking balls from left handed pitchers who are between 6-6 and 6-9 has gone up, go figure. Second concern: his dive into first base is, again according to MIT, 1/84 of a second slower than it was in 1999. To me, that's a massive red flag. However, in his defense, the Weather Channel's Hitting In All Conditions (HIAC) 2013 guide has also been released. HIAC notes Punto was a 17 in 2010, a 20 in 2011, and a 22 in 2012. Those numbers blow me away, as I'm sure they blow all of you away. I'm also sure some knucklehead will look at those HIAC numbers and scream "Steroids!" but we all know Punto isn't that kind of guy. In the last analysis, the HIAC numbers out weight the concerns the MIT stats raise. I say bring him back with a modest and team-friendly two-year deal.

spideyo
12-13-2012, 10:32 AM
While it may be totally coincidental, Dave is right. The Twins team WITH Punto had a combined .545 winning pct over 7 years, and only one season below .500. Since he left, our win pct has been .398. Pretty drastic drop.

Personally, I liked the guy. He seemed like a class act, willing to take whatever role the team the gave him, never once (that I recall) publicly complained about bouncing around or moving between starter and backup. His offense wasn't great, but he was always a very solid defender, regardless of his position.

snepp
12-13-2012, 10:38 AM
"Might" be coincidental?

Brock Beauchamp
12-13-2012, 10:50 AM
The Twins have Butera on the roster. I already have one player I irrationally (or rationally, really) hate. I don't need two of those guys.

spideyo
12-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Tolbert, Casilla, Nishioka, Plouffe, Escobar, Carroll, Dozier, Florimon. These are the guys that have played SS in the last two years. Carroll and Plouffe are the only two that have had better offensive stats than Punto in his time with the Twins, and Plouffe gave up 11 errors in 45 games at short.

His departure wasn't directly the cause of our rapid decline, but if we'd had him to cover SS the last two years (especially 2011) it could only have helped.

Craig in MN
12-13-2012, 11:21 AM
I don't have any sort of hate for Punto, but it sort of brings up the question of what other players are out there that the Twins could bring in (cheaply) to add some depth and flexibility. I really think they need some extra depth in one or two spots. If Punto is the best there is, then I'd be totally fine bringing him back. Here are the other options, as I see it:

Poor 2b & corner utility guys, could hit lefties:
- Ryan Raburn, Jeff Baker, Ty Wigginton, Bill Hall

Mediocre infielders, not outfielders:
- Placido Polanco, Freddy Sanchez, Ronny Cedeno, Adam Kennedy (I'm left handed!)

Just corner guys, probably can't hit anyone:
- Casey McGehee, Don Kelly, Mark DeRosa

Ultra flexible...has played corners, CF and MI
- Chone Figgins

I didn't expect much, but there's more to like there than I thought. I could see useful (if limited) roles for half of those guys. The Twins could use a MI, someone to provide depth at 3b, a backup corner OF.

If I could only shop from this list, I think I'd try to sign Raburn and Sanchez.. If they aren't interested, I'd go with Baker and Polanco or Cedeno or Punto. At worst, Raburn is an ok platoon outfielder/DH. He fits well with our lefty heavy 1b/LF/DH situation and can play 2b or 3b well enough to let them carry one less IF. At best, he could start often in the OF or 2b. Baker is Raburn-lite.

Sanchez likely is broken beyond repair, but if he can come back, he can be an above average 2b. Cedeno, Polanco, and Punto aren't embarassing IFs and allow the Twins to field a team if no AAA player deserves job. I'm really sick of infielders that can't cut it at AAA playing for the Twins.

spideyo
12-13-2012, 12:45 PM
If we got Los Angles Figgins instead of Seattle Figgins, I'd go for it. Otherwise, I'd rather we focus on someone who can cover short rather than 2b.

Riverbrian
12-13-2012, 01:16 PM
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology's (MIT) new 2013 statistical analysis has been released. Now, when it comes to Punto, some numbers are alarming, which shouldn't be a surprise given his age. First concern: his ability to hit breaking balls from left handed pitchers who are taller than 6-3 has dropped by a 1/4 each year for the last three years. Oddly, his ability to hit breaking balls from left handed pitchers who are between 6-6 and 6-9 has gone up, go figure. Second concern: his dive into first base is, again according to MIT, 1/84 of a second slower than it was in 1999. To me, that's a massive red flag. However, in his defense, the Weather Channel's Hitting In All Conditions (HIAC) 2013 guide has also been released. HIAC notes Punto was a 17 in 2010, a 20 in 2011, and a 22 in 2012. Those numbers blow me away, as I'm sure they blow all of you away. I'm also sure some knucklehead will look at those HIAC numbers and scream "Steroids!" but we all know Punto isn't that kind of guy. In the last analysis, the HIAC numbers out weight the concerns the MIT stats raise. I say bring him back with a modest and team-friendly two-year deal.

ROTFLMAO... plus plus plus.

johnnydakota
12-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Rather then pursue LNP wouldnt we be better off adding a piece to the puzzle that is our future?
With the angels apperently signing Josh Hamilton,wouldnt trading for Mark Trumbo to replace Justin Morneau?

TwinsFanInPhilly
12-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Who the @#%$% do you trade to bring in Trumbo?

Winston Smith
12-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Who the @#%$% do you trade to bring in Trumbo?

Punto! The trick is getting Punto so you can flip him.

Top Gun
12-13-2012, 01:55 PM
OX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the Angels have signed Josh Hamilton to a five-year contract. CBS Sports' Jon Heyman says the deal is worth a total of $125 million. The Halos weren't even mentioned as a potential suitor for Hamilton until a couple of hours ago, though that shouldn't surprise anyone given how last year's Albert Pujols negotiations went down. Anaheim has now landed the top position player on the free agent market two offseasons in a row. Hamilton, who turns 32 years old in May, slugged 43 home runs and tallied 128 RBI this summer for the division-rival Rangers.
Related: Angels (http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/clubhouse/mlb/ana/angels)

Source: Ken Rosenthal (https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/279305040458559489)

Top Gun
12-13-2012, 01:56 PM
The Red Sox have signed Ryan Dempster to a two-year, $26.5 million deal, reports FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal.

Related: Red Sox (http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/clubhouse/mlb/bos/red-sox)

Source: Ken Rosenthal (https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/279312225427148801)

Top Gun
12-13-2012, 01:59 PM
We got Carroll no need for Punto.

raindog
12-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Punto and Carroll middle infield, get it done!

In all seriousness, it probably would be a better infield than Dozier, Florimon, Escobar/Carroll.

TwinsFanInPhilly
12-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Punto! The trick is getting Punto so you can flip him.

Definitely thinking outside the box

70charger
12-13-2012, 03:45 PM
The Red Sox have signed Ryan Dempster to a two-year, $26.5 million deal, reports FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal.

Related: Red Sox (http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/clubhouse/mlb/bos/red-sox)

Source: Ken Rosenthal (https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/279312225427148801)

All it took was a million and a half more than what he turned down earlier? WTF? I'd have given him that...

mike wants wins
12-13-2012, 03:50 PM
How does Punto help the future at all? Would it not be better to play the younger players, and see if they are good or not....not for a week, only to be replaced by an older guy, but for months? It certainly appears they are not trying to compete this year....still hoping to be wrong....

ThePuck
12-13-2012, 03:53 PM
How does Punto help the future at all? Would it not be better to play the younger players, and see if they are good or not....not for a week, only to be replaced by an older guy, but for months? It certainly appears they are not trying to compete this year....still hoping to be wrong....

Punto is ageless.