PDA

View Full Version : Most Heart Breaking Twins loss ever?

notoriousgod71
12-12-2012, 01:57 PM
I really can't think of anything that I would consider on par with some of the Vikings losses in recent memory. To me Game 163 in 2008 was a great game, but not heart breaking. The closest I can think of Game 2 in 2004. Maybe in retrospect the Eric Fox game?
What does everyone else think?

ChiTownTwinsFan
12-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Game 7, 1965 World Series

USAFChief
12-12-2012, 03:21 PM

Yup. One broken 7-year- old heart for sure.

nicksaviking
12-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Tom Brunansky lost for Tommy Herr.

Brandon
12-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Twins abilty to find Pitching talent on the FA market We just lost again to ourselves. Heartbreaking.

Boom Boom
12-12-2012, 04:39 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXaNe_vMlHS32YbI72kkASifbLAgy2a tfzOfk3eusN-KY03QraaA

USAFChief
12-12-2012, 04:58 PM

Yup. One broken 7-year- old heart for sure.

From your photo I would have guessed you to be a much younger woman.

You'd be wrong on both counts.

Sssuperdave
12-12-2012, 05:14 PM
I'm sure this isn't the most heartbreaking one, but I'll never forget May 17, 2002. I was in college at the time and had stayed up way too late watching this game...

The Twins were playing the Yankees in New York and were down 8 to 3 after 5 innings. They came back with 6 runs in the 6th to take a 9-8 lead through a pirhanna-like combo of singles, doubles, and sacrifice flies. Then in the bottom of the 9th Bernie William hit a homerun off Eddie Guardado to tie it at 9. That was heartbreaking enough but was just a taste of what was to come.

The game went into extra innings and there was no scoring until the 14th, but the Yankees left the bases loaded in both the 11th and the 13th. Then in the 14th inning the Twins broke through with three runs. I remember thinking I would finally get to go to bed with a Twins win. But, the Twins had used up all their relievers and had only Mike Trombley left, who was clinging on to the end of his career. He came in for the bottom of the 14th and promptly gave up 2 singles and a walk, followed by a grand slam by Jason Giambi. Just like that, after 14 innings, the Yankees won.

I remember the look on Trombley's face as Gimabi rounded the bases - it was like he was disoriented, in too much shock to even be frustrated, just dazed and confused at what just happened. He had a couple more garbage-time outings but was released at the end of the month and his career was over. Pretty sad ending to a workman-like career.

Winston Smith
12-12-2012, 05:19 PM
When they lost the last two games against the Red Sox in 67 and missed the World Series.

Ben B
12-12-2012, 06:06 PM
My two votes have already been mentioned. ALDS Game 2 in 2004 and the ALDS game in 2006 against the A's with Kotsay's inside the park homer. I was at the A's game and you could just feel the Dome deflate. I knew it was over then.

70charger
12-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Already been mentioned, but that 2008 tiebreaker was pretty heartbreaking. Blackburn actually pitched a hell of a game there; Thome home run was the deciding factor.

TwinsFanInPhilly
12-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Twins were tied for the AL West lead only a few days prior and were still in the race on 9/28/1984 when this happened:

Box Score of Game played on Friday, September 28, 1984 at Cleveland Stadium (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=198409280CLE)

I remember it like it was yesterday.

luke829
12-12-2012, 06:14 PM
I'm sure this isn't the most heartbreaking one, but I'll never forget May 17, 2002. I was in college at the time and had stayed up way too late watching this game...

The Twins were playing the Yankees in New York and were down 8 to 3 after 5 innings. They came back with 6 runs in the 6th to take a 9-8 lead through a pirhanna-like combo of singles, doubles, and sacrifice flies. Then in the bottom of the 9th Bernie William hit a homerun off Eddie Guardado to tie it at 9. That was heartbreaking enough but was just a taste of what was to come.

The game went into extra innings and there was no scoring until the 14th, but the Yankees left the bases loaded in both the 11th and the 13th. Then in the 14th inning the Twins broke through with three runs. I remember thinking I would finally get to go to bed with a Twins win. But, the Twins had used up all their relievers and had only Mike Trombley left, who was clinging on to the end of his career. He came in for the bottom of the 14th and promptly gave up 2 singles and a walk, followed by a grand slam by Jason Giambi. Just like that, after 14 innings, the Yankees won.

I remember the look on Trombley's face as Gimabi rounded the bases - it was like he was disoriented, in too much shock to even be frustrated, just dazed and confused at what just happened. He had a couple more garbage-time outings but was released at the end of the month and his career was over. Pretty sad ending to a workman-like career.

You just opened up some old emotional wounds with that.

Roaddog
12-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Dont remember what year, thinking 1993. Eric Fox hits a 3 run HR off of Rick Aguilera. A's went on to win the division and sent the twins into an era of putrid baseball

ashburyjohn
12-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Twins were tied for the AL West lead only a few days prior and were still in the race on 9/28/1984 when this happened:

Box Score of Game played on Friday, September 28, 1984 at Cleveland Stadium (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=198409280CLE)

Is that the one where Gaetti said afterward in self-reproach, "it's pretty tough to play this game with both hands wrapped around your throat"?

Or the one where Ron Davis cried?

SpiritofVodkaDave
12-12-2012, 06:53 PM
2009 game 2 ALDS. Was there in person, I actually thought we had that game won. ugggghhhhhh

YourHouseIsMyHouse
12-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Pick any game that we've played the Yankees.

JeffB
12-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Game 3, 2009 ALDS vs. Yankees (last game in Dome). Twins were on a roll, ready to take the lead when this happened:

johnnydakota
12-12-2012, 07:11 PM
the 1st game of 2013.....gardy is still here:banghead:

glunn
12-12-2012, 08:25 PM
I remember almost all of these and am now calling my doctor to ask for some antidepressant medication.

freshinthehouse
12-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Dunno if it has been mentioned, but game 4 of the 2004 ALDS was disgusting. Up 5-2 late, Rincon gives up that bomb to Ruben Sierra.

drjim
12-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Dunno if it has been mentioned, but game 4 of the 2004 ALDS was disgusting. Up 5-2 late, Rincon gives up that bomb to Ruben Sierra.

This. That was the best Twins team in this entire run. Up 5-1 going to the 8th and Rincon had been a stud all year and coughed it up. Haven't won a playoff game since. That whole series was a heartbreaker.

one_eyed_jack
12-12-2012, 09:42 PM
This thread is depressing, but enjoyable on some level. Lots of good mentions so far.

I'm going to go with game 1 of the 2006 ALDS, Santana vs Zito. That was heartbreaking to me because there was so much momentum and anticipation going into that postseason, but once we lost that game, I knew it was over.

The various playoff losses to the Yankees where we had a late lead and blew it were all heartbreaking, but there were so many that they all just kind of blend together for me.

The Vikings have broken a lot of hearts too, but you've at least got to give them style points for finding new, interesting and creative ways to torture their fans. I mean to say, taking yourself out of range of a game-winning field goal in the NFC championship game with a too many men on the field penalty?! Not just anyone could come up with that. With the Twins, it's the opposite. Losing to the same team. The same way. Every. Single. Year.

Izzy997
12-12-2012, 10:43 PM
My two votes have already been mentioned. ALDS Game 2 in 2004 and the ALDS game in 2006 against the A's with Kotsay's inside the park homer. I was at the A's game and you could just feel the Dome deflate. I knew it was over then.
Was that the play Torii botched? I was there also and you're right, the life went out of the place after that.

TheLeviathan
12-12-2012, 11:01 PM
This. That was the best Twins team in this entire run. Up 5-1 going to the 8th and Rincon had been a stud all year and coughed it up. Haven't won a playoff game since. That whole series was a heartbreaker.

2010's team was pretty good too. I went in to that playoffs pretty high on that team so Game 1 was a soul-crusher. But I'd rank this game ahead of it, but I would nominate Game 2 of that same series. Koskie's ball stays in the park and we may win that sucker. Extra inning dramatics only made it worse. We had a chance to put a 2-0 stranglehold on that series too.

freshinthehouse
12-12-2012, 11:02 PM

Yessir. Every playoff loss since hasn't been as bad IMO because we were the inferior team. Even in 2006 our rotation was in shambles once Radke got hurt. A few things go our way in 2004 and we get past the Yankees.

John Bonnes
12-12-2012, 11:09 PM

I'd choose Game 2 of that series over Game 4. Up one game to zero (which the Twins won in Yankee stadium), the boys rally to tie up the second game in Yankee stadium in the eighth inning. In extra innings, the Twins gain a lead in the top of the 12th on (if I remember right) a home run by Hunter. But Nathan goes out for his third consecutive inning to try and close it out and loses on three walks and a double.

The Twins would have been up 2-0 and coming home had they held onto that one. Game 4 was practically anti-climactic after that.

Ben B
12-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Was that the play Torii botched? I was there also and you're right, the life went out of the place after that.

Yep, that was the Torii play. I remember Cuddyer and Morneau had just hit back-to-back homers to tie it and the place was electric...and then the very next inning, that happened.

diehardtwinsfan
12-13-2012, 06:51 AM
2004 ALDS game 2.

USAFChief
12-13-2012, 09:12 AM

Is that the one where Gaetti said afterward in self-reproach, "it's pretty tough to play this game with both hands wrapped around your throat"?

Or the one where Ron Davis cried?

It's the Gaetti game. Although i think the quote was closer to "it's hard to throw to first with both hands wrapped around your neck."

crarko
12-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Definitely the end of '67.

gunnarthor
12-13-2012, 12:16 PM
2010 game 1. Twins up 3-0 on Sabathia entering the 6th. Lirano gets the first out and then falls apart, giving up 4 runs. Twins tie it in bottom of 6th but Hardy strikes out (after taking a meatball for strike one) with bases loaded. Crain gives 2-run homer to Tex in the 7th. Even without Morneau, that was probably our best Twins team. Gah.

Willihammer
12-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Game 2 in 2010 was brutal. Pavano had gone 6 strong and the score was 2-2. Pavano went out for the 7th (he had only thrown like 75 pitches at that point), and walked Jorge Posada. Then he fell behind Berkman and Gardy stormed out to argue with the umpire and was ejected. I was at the game, and the crowd had been roaring the whole game but after that, everyone was screaming. Then Berkman crushed a double to the gap in front of the bullpen. Jorge scored all the way from 1st. Pavano put the next two guys on base and Ullger pulled him. Capps gave up another run in the 9th for good measure. Mauer got on in the bottom of the 9th but was erased on a double play, Twins went down 1-2-3, having lost 2 home games to the Yankees, heading to NY for game 3.

Don't Feed the Greed Guy
12-13-2012, 01:45 PM
I'd have to agree with Ben B. I was at the game when Torii Hunter dove for Kotsay's sinking line drive--inside-the-park home run. We were sitting in center field, and had a perfect, if heartbreaking view of the whole play. The ball rolled to the wall, right below where we were sitting.

But that wasn't quite as heartbreaking as when Calvin Griffith traded Butch Wynegar to the Yankees. He was my boyhood hero. Roy Smalley was traded to the Yanks that year, too, a month before Butch was sent packing. To this day, my two boys have been taught not to swear, unless the word is "damn." And then, it's only allowed if the next word from their mouths is "Yankees."

All time, it would have to be game seven, 1965, when Sandy Koufax threw a three-hit shutout. My dad still thinks Koufax is the greatest pitcher, ever.

old nurse
12-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Dont remember what year, thinking 1993. Eric Fox hits a 3 run HR off of Rick Aguilera. A's went on to win the division and sent the twins into an era of putrid baseball
Wasn't that 1992 and was the start of the slide to oblivion known as the 90's Twins

ScottyB
12-13-2012, 01:59 PM
My 2 biggest losses were letting Harmon go to the Royals and when he passed away.

wxman91
12-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Wasn't that 1992 and was the start of the slide to oblivion known as the 90's Twins

July 29, 1992 Oakland Athletics at Minnesota Twins Play by Play and Box Score - Baseball-Reference.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIN/MIN199207290.shtml)

Up by 3 games entering the series, and Fox's HR completed the sweep by Oakland to tie it up. The Twins actually regained the division lead temporarily in the next week, but lost 5 of 6 in a road trip to Comiskey and Milwaukee and we know how the rest of the 90s went after that.

ashburyjohn
12-13-2012, 03:46 PM
July 29, 1992 Oakland Athletics at Minnesota Twins Play by Play and Box Score - Baseball-Reference.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIN/MIN199207290.shtml)

Up by 3 games entering the series, and Fox's HR completed the sweep by Oakland to tie it up. The Twins actually regained the division lead temporarily in the next week, but lost 5 of 6 in a road trip to Comiskey and Milwaukee and we know how the rest of the 90s went after that.

Yeah, the '92 season was shaping up to have a better Twins team than the '91 champs, and then... suddenly it wasn't. At all.

Sarah
12-14-2012, 05:23 PM
This is an interesting topic because when I saw the title I thought, “hmm, I can’t really think of one.” So I guess that’s good! The one that came to mind was in the 2002 ALCS game 5 when the Angels scored something like 10 runs in an inning. I mean geez, we were already down in the series and the fact that none of our pitchers could get anyone out was just depressing. And since we had won game one of that series and had home field advantage it was disappointing, not exactly heartbreaking though.

I agree that any of our series against the Yankees pretty much sucked but would you really call them heartbreaking? They’re the Yankees and even though I hoped they would win of course, when the Twins lost to them it wasn’t exactly heartbreaking because you kind of expected it to happen. Maybe if we had been one strike away from beating the Yankees in any of those series and then lost that would have been heartbreaking but we were never that close.

Pius Jefferson
12-15-2012, 12:29 AM
Francisco Liriano returns after a five week stay on the DL against Oakland. Second inning he leaves and the Twins lose their co-Ace. Throw in Radke pitching on guts and 2006 might be the biggest what if team in Twins history.

StormJH1
12-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Yeah I don't care what anyone else says, I've been here since 03 and never seen the Twins win a playoff series. This game was the worst.

Retrosheet Boxscore: Oakland Athletics 5, Minnesota Twins 2 (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/2006/B10040MIN2006.htm)

All of the losses to the Yankees could be chalked up to Piranha-ball - losing the second game at home to the Moneyball A's and knowing we were going down in Mauer and Morneau's breakout year (and with Santana) was the worst.

TopGunn#22
12-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Both already mentioned Game 7 1965 W.S. I was 7 and thought Koufax was awesome! Final game of 1967 vs. Red Sox. And just to further show my age...game #2 of the 1969 ALCS vs. Baltimore lost in extra innings.

twinsfaninsaudi
12-17-2012, 04:33 AM
O'Leary's late triple saves Sox | SouthCoastToday.com (http://m.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19960803/NEWS/308039958&cid=sitesearch&template=wapart)

It is an odd one. But I was twelve years old and living in New Jersey at the time and my family had driven to Boston to see the Twins for my Dad's birthday. It was a meaningless game for both teams, but it cemented Rich Becker as my least favorite Twin of all time. He should've caught that ball. We were sitting in centerfielder too.

There were numerous other ones I had to sit through in the Bronx for the 5 years I was in NJ. But this one was the worst. East coast fans are just not nice also, they are not family appropriate and if you are wearing the other team's hat thry do not even care if you are a kid.

IdahoPilgrim
12-17-2012, 06:34 AM
September 28, 1995 - the day Puckett got hit by the pitch. It was the last game he ever played.

spycake
12-17-2012, 09:54 AM

The Twins were playing the Yankees in New York

I remember this one too, exact same circumstances (watching it late in college).

I've always felt that this game set the tone for the Gardenhire Twins record against the Yankees. The plucky 2001 Twins didn't seem to have a problem with NY. Neither did previous Tom Kelly Twins teams, beyond their inherent late-90s sucking in general. Nothing that seemed to foretell a curse.

spycake
12-17-2012, 10:09 AM
Can't comment on 1965 or 1967 (or 1984, for that matter). My worst have generally been mentioned here already:

2004 ALDS Game 2 (decent expectations, curse hadn't set in yet)
2004 ALDS Game 4
2009 ALDS Game 2 (I should have known better, but I didn't)
2002 May 17 vs Yankees (for starting the curse IMHO)
2006 ALDS Game 1 (BIG expectations, no Yankees, what happened?)
2006 ALDS Game 2
2010 ALDS Game 1 (bad games, but by now the curse was expected)
2010 ALDS Game 2
2008 Game 163 (expectations were low)
2002 ALCS Game 5 (not a fun way to go out)

I'd like to add another:

2001 August 14 vs Cleveland -- season expectations were low but this pretty much knocked us out for good that year (although the four-game sweep in Tampa that preceded this game didn't help matters):
August 14, 2001 Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians Box Score and Play by Play - Baseball-Reference.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CLE/CLE200108140.shtml)