PDA

View Full Version : Who's left for the IF?

spideyo
12-12-2012, 11:05 AM
I know we still need a pitcher or three, but I'm nervous about our IF. Between Morneau and Parmelee we've got 1b covered, and I'm willing to accept Plouffe as a regular at 3b, but for the middle we've got Carroll, Dozier, Escobar, Florimon and Santana on the 40 man.

Carroll is the most proven guy, but he's getting old and isn't exactly a big threat offensively.

The other 4 guys have played in 190 MLB games COMBINED.

But what can we do to get a little insurance? Skip is going to the Dodgers, the Yankees signed Youk, Jack is headed to the Reds, Scutaro is with the Giants, Maicer Izturis went to Toronto.

Is there anyone left on the FA market or trading block that'd be worth throwing a flyer at? Is going forward with Grampa Jamey and the Kids our best bet?

whydidnt
12-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Good question. Based upon the lack of movement it looks like the Twins plan to go forward with what they have. I think Kelly Johnson is still out there, perhaps a late signing like Hudson a few years ago is possible if no one else shows interest in him. He's not great, but an upgrade offensively over Florimon or Escobar. It was interesting how Ryan called for competition at 3B, but has been pretty silent about doing anything up the middle. Shouldn't be surprising based upon the guys we've had up the middle during most of Ryan/Gardenhire's time here though I guess.

spideyo
12-12-2012, 12:21 PM
I wonder if Ryan has been looking for someone willing to take a minor league deal w/invite to compete in Spring Training, someone that's actually more on the same level as Plouffe, for 3b.