PDA

View Full Version : Who plays CF to start the season?

crapforks
12-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Span to WAS, Revere to PHI. Who do you got as the regular CF to start the season? Who bats 1 and 2?

mudcat14
12-06-2012, 01:08 PM
I hope they give the CF gig to Hicks and ledt him sink or swim.

Willihammer
12-06-2012, 01:12 PM
At this point, I'm asking myself: who is left wanting outfielders?

Texas isn't going to go more than 4 yrs for Hamilton. The Twins could deal Willingham to TX and take the Rangers out of the picture.

The buyers for Bourn, last rumor I read anyway, were Phili and Seattle. Would the M's take Mastroianni?

That would soak up two buyers, and put the Twins in a position to make lowball offers to Bourn and Hamilton.

TwinsFanInPhilly
12-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Jason Martinez‏@mlbdepthcharts RT @BenGoesslingPP (http://twinsdaily.com/BenGoesslingPP) Terry Ryan said Darin Mastroianni, Joe Benson and Aaron Hicks will all get chances to compete for #MNTwins (http://twinsdaily.com/search?q=%23MNTwins&src=hash)' CF job.

joeboo_22
12-06-2012, 01:17 PM
I'm sure you mean Twins could deal Willingham not Hamilton. That would be interesting. I'm sure the Braves, Mariners, Yankees and Rangers as well as a few others could all be involved if the Twins were serious about trading him.

I think its wide open. Sounds like its Benson or HIcks if ready if not Mastronni will man it until one of the two is ready.

crapforks
12-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Would anyone freak out over a Carroll-Mauer-Willingham-Morneau top of the order?

Brock Beauchamp
12-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Would anyone freak out over a Carroll-Mauer-Willingham-Morneau top of the order?

I wouldn't. That's a decent top of the order, though it's definitely lacking speed.

SpiritofVodkaDave
12-06-2012, 01:26 PM
I'd put the odds at:
Hicks: 50%
Mastro: 40%
Benson:10%

It's Hicks job to lose.

mike wants wins
12-06-2012, 01:28 PM
I bet on Benson, with Hicks being the higher level prospect, they will want him in AAA for a bit. But, Ryan may be a new man after all.

roberallen
12-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Darin Mastro's minor league numbers are very nice, and he played well last year for the Twins in limited reps after basically making the jump from AA ball in 2011. The guy might be a better basestealer than Revere. I don't want them to rush Hicks and I'm affraid Benson might be ruined for good. I'd like to see them sign a vetran left-handed batter like Ryan Sweeney who batted .286, .293, .294 in his first three season with Oakland in regular playing time. Above average defensive outfielder who could split time with Mastro in CF until Hicks is completely ready. Nyjer Morgan, Rick Ankiel and Endy Chavez are three other guys that are out there.

ThePuck
12-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Jason Martinez‏@mlbdepthcharts RT @BenGoesslingPP (http://twinsdaily.com/BenGoesslingPP) Terry Ryan said Darin Mastroianni, Joe Benson and Aaron Hicks will all get chances to compete for #MNTwins (http://twinsdaily.com/search?q=%23MNTwins&src=hash)' CF job.

Ah, yes, the whole compete thing. Hey guys, if you really wanna win, make sure you do the worst...

Riverbrian
12-06-2012, 02:00 PM
I'd go with Mastro to start the season... Hicks and Arcia up after the Arb clock thing assuming they keep progressing in the right direction and its a whole new ball game after that.

snepp
12-06-2012, 02:02 PM

I think you give Hicks a couple of months in AAA, get yourself a 7th year of team control, then let him sink or swim.

Brock Beauchamp
12-06-2012, 02:03 PM

I think you give Hicks a couple of months in AAA, get yourself a 7th year of team control, then let him sink or swim.

This.

nicksaviking
12-06-2012, 02:06 PM
I'd be more concerned about who bats 1-2 in the lineup. Parker had a great write up a few months back about how much better Mauer hits when he has a guy on 1B. If the Twins can't come up with a couple of decent OPS guys for those spots he could see a dip in production. Moving him to the 2 hole doesn't fix the problem unles the 9 hitter can get on base too.

nicksaviking
12-06-2012, 02:13 PM

I hope we're not going to be that brutal about the situation. We've coddled the guy for half a decade now, I'm not willing to let him sink if he struggles. He hasn't always had the smoothest transitions between levels, I'm fully prepared to see him bounce up and down between AAA and the majors no matter when he gets the call. He should have a long leash too as Arcia isn't a centerfielder. If Benson doesn't rebound, we're then left wating for Roberts, Buxton maybe Kepler and none of them have played above Low A.

2013 likely will be ugly regardless, no need to rush things now that there is finally a clear picture of the future.

whosafraidofluigirussolo
12-06-2012, 02:33 PM
They could still go outside the organization for someone. That's what I expect they'll do, at least as insurance against the young guys struggling and against Mastroianni being overmatched as a starter. I don't see them paying big for a high-end player but maybe taking someone from the shallow end of the free agent pool.

Would Andres Torres make sense? He was a decent starting CF (and leadoff hitter) a couple years ago, and he's kind of old but he could be in competition for the starting CF gig and at least fall into a 4th OF role if he didn't win the job. With poor defenders in the corners, I think they're going to want a reliable backup OF; he'll be playing a lot.

joeboo_22
12-06-2012, 02:42 PM
If Benson is healthy I'd give it to him, he is at that point where I don't know if AAA does him any good, if he is struggling by the middle of May, then he goes down, but I think he needs a sink or swim moment. Whereas Hicks I think can benefit from AAA much more. I'm still betting Mastro gets it at least for April.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
12-06-2012, 02:44 PM
I think it's a two horse race between Benson and Mastroianni. Hicks will have his time, but not this soon.

ericchri
12-06-2012, 02:51 PM
I'm thrilled at the notion of Hicks playing CF for the Twins. And I'm actually hoping that it is Benson to start the season.

Mainly because if Benson looks good enough to get the job it hopefully means he has the potential to still be a good player, and we can safely trade away both Willingham and Morneau at the deadline and roll with an outfield of a then-decent Benson, along with Hicks and Arcia. I love Mastroianni as the 4th outfielder, and I have doubts he's a full-time player.

Is Arcia a LF or RF? I don't honestly know. And how good is his defense?

USAFChief
12-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Unless they add someone:

Mastro: 50% chance
Benson: 40% chance
Hicks: 5% chance
Rallymonkey: 5% chance.

LaBombo
12-06-2012, 02:55 PM
There was nothing about the year Hicks had in New Britain that screamed 'Skip AAA!!!'. I'm hoping the trades don't change that. Given the Twins' patience with prospects, it would be surprising to see him up before June.

James
12-06-2012, 02:56 PM
The clear answer is Wilkin Ramirez.

Danchat
12-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Umm.... Joe Benson sucks and needs to be in the minors. Mastro then Hicks in the summer.

TheLeviathan
12-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Take a flyer on Bourjos if he's on the cheap? Otherwise Mastro it is me thinks.

GCTF
12-06-2012, 04:44 PM
The Ghost of Bobby Mitchell?

joeboo_22
12-06-2012, 04:45 PM
If you look at Joe Benson's numbers throughout the minors, in years where he is healthy he screams top prospect and years where he was bothering injuries he looks like a complete bust. If he is healthy its his to lose. Hicks has not played AAA, he was good but not great at AA, he has a bunch of tools but I'm not completely sold on saying its all his. As far as Mastro, I just don't know, I don't know if he can be an everyday major leaguer. I don't know if he can play CF with Parmelee and Willinghammer and I feel he could really be exposed to everyday play.

I think you have to go in house though.

luke829
12-06-2012, 04:49 PM

I wouldn't. That's a decent top of the order, though it's definitely lacking speed.

Agreed. Not exactly 4.4/40 speed by any means

70charger
12-06-2012, 05:09 PM
I honestly think Mastroianni is being a bit undervalued here. Do we want him as the everyday centerfielder? Not really. Will we completely implode if we put him there until June? Heck no.

You definitely don't throw Hicks into the lineup on day one. It's a bad business decision, and I think it would end up being a bad development decision.

I will say, however, that I am intrigued by the idea of Joe Benson if he's healthy. I agree with an above poster who said that when he's healthy, he screams top prospect. If he's back from him multiple injuries of last year, I'd bet that he could compete for an outfield spot this year.

johnnydakota
12-06-2012, 05:20 PM

Close but no cigar, mauer, carroll, willingham, morneau,doumit,plouffe,parmelee,dozier/florimon,mastroanni

ashburyjohn
12-06-2012, 05:20 PM
At this point, I'm asking myself: who is left wanting outfielders?

Texas isn't going to go more than 4 yrs for Hamilton. The Twins could deal Willingham to TX and take the Rangers out of the picture.

The buyers for Bourn, last rumor I read anyway, were Phili and Seattle. Would the M's take Mastroianni?

That would soak up two buyers, and put the Twins in a position to make lowball offers to Bourn and Hamilton.

My pitch to Bourn, as GM of Philly or Seattle: take our offer, or you're looking at a lowball offer from the Twins.

wavedog
12-06-2012, 05:22 PM
The way the roster is currently set up with outfielders defense is more important than offense. We have to have someone that can cover some ground. I would rank it Mastro, Hicks then Benson. I could see Mastro starting the year with Benson as backup and Hicks in AAA but I have no problem putting HIcks in from the start.

ashburyjohn
12-06-2012, 05:27 PM
The way the roster is currently set up with outfielders defense is more important than offense. We have to have someone that can cover some ground. I would rank it Mastro, Hicks then Benson. I could see Mastro starting the year with Benson as backup and Hicks in AAA but I have no problem putting HIcks in from the start.

We need to sign someone to a one-year deal. Mastro had a good 2012 but as a full-timer he'd be exposed. I'd like to let Hicks play his way to the majors, not just promote him.

greengoblinrulz
12-06-2012, 05:34 PM
I also think there could be an OF signing....Cody Ross anyone to platoon with Parmelee in RF??
Benson having an underwhelming 2012 is obvious. He is agewise ready for MLB.....at least on a part-time platoon role in RF with Chris/defensive sub for Willingham.
I would think Hicks really wont get a true shot in spring training & we'll ride Mastro for 2 months till Hicks is more confortable.

mudcat14
12-06-2012, 06:17 PM
I'm of the opinion that whatever Hicks has left to learn, he can learn at the big league level. Defensively there seems to be no doubt that he can cut it right now, with a ++ arm. Offensively he would benefit as much from watching, talking and playing with guys like Morneau, Mauer & Willingham, than he would from a AAA coach. Film study and opponent scouting are better at the big league level as well. I figure Hicks has about 2-3 years to lay claim on this job or Buxton will be pushing him out anyway.

spideyo
12-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Do we still have Clete Thomas under contract?

Riverbrian
12-06-2012, 06:25 PM
I think the Twins like almost every team will say that the best player will start and the Arb clock has nothing to do with it.

However... I notice that a lot of top notch prospects are consistently called up after the Arb clock.

I think Hicks will start in CF in Rochester regardless if he tears the cover off the ball in the pre season.

diehardtwinsfan
12-06-2012, 06:42 PM
I'd say it's between Mastro and whomever they sign to a 1 year deal. They will sign someone cheap to be a placeholder for Hicks, Acia, and Benson. I woudln't expect anything other... and I'd add that it's probably the right choice too.

syves
12-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Mastroianni in Center. I know he's a fourth outfielder, but just let Hick's and Arcia develop a little in Triple-A.

Lineup would be Carroll, Mastroianni, Mauer, Willingham, Morneau, Doumit, Plouffe, Parmelee, Florimon.

I say the lineup like that because:
1) I'm obsessed with speed guys in the two hole. Can't get enough.
2) Ease the stress on Plouffe and Parmelee. They're still in development mode, and being in the 7 and 8 hole could relax them enough to make them better. One spot back might make all the difference.

Kwak
12-06-2012, 06:49 PM
I'm confident the decision has already been made--so don't look for "competition" in Spring Training for CF! (they tried that game once and everybody saw through it).

Dilligaf69
12-06-2012, 07:16 PM
It's true it may force Gardy to bat mauer 2nd but without a decent leadoff hitter it won't much matter. I can live with Mastro at the beginning of the season if Hicks/Benson can step in around June. Wouldn't suprise if Twins sign a cheap CF in the latter parts of FA to bridge the gap.

gmarais66
12-06-2012, 07:17 PM
I will say, however, that I am intrigued by the idea of Joe Benson if he's healthy. I agree with an above poster who said that when he's healthy, he screams top prospect. If he's back from him multiple injuries of last year, I'd bet that he could compete for an outfield spot this year.

The biggest problem with Benson is his personality. Throughout the season on ESPN 1500, Molitor talked about how Benson has a lot of maturing to do, before he was ready for the majors. He lets his emotions get out of control, which affects his performance. Molitor even seemed to suggest that he didn't know if Benson could overcome this. My bet is that they will give Hicks every opportunity to win the CF position. Having him in the lineup, especially if he's playing decent, could help pacify the average fan after the losses of Span and Revere. He could offer that spark the fans like to see. Although Mastro is a good 4th outfielder, I don't think he's the type of player that puts fans in the seats, which is something that will be crucial for the Twins this year, after two horrible seasons.

Anorthagen
12-06-2012, 08:56 PM
I think hicks has the upper hand in this position. He took a huge step last year in the minors, even though it was double A it was still an overall very well season. He also has the speed to play CF, which Gardy loves. He could also take over the lead off spot IF he can prove to be successful in the majors. But all we can do is speculate.

Alex
12-06-2012, 10:22 PM
The problem as I see it is they need a 4th OF that can play CF. You don't want Hicks there, so if Mastro starts, they need someone else.

Top Gun
12-06-2012, 10:45 PM
They are fine.

glunn
12-06-2012, 11:32 PM
Mastroianni in Center. I know he's a fourth outfielder, but just let Hick's and Arcia develop a little in Triple-A.

Lineup would be Carroll, Mastroianni, Mauer, Willingham, Morneau, Doumit, Plouffe, Parmelee, Florimon.

I say the lineup like that because:
1) I'm obsessed with speed guys in the two hole. Can't get enough.
2) Ease the stress on Plouffe and Parmelee. They're still in development mode, and being in the 7 and 8 hole could relax them enough to make them better. One spot back might make all the difference.

You make sense, but when I see that lineup I am wondering if the Twins could lose 110+ games in 2013.

Rosterman
12-07-2012, 12:15 AM
The Twins will want Hicks in the minors...unless pieces look great in spring training and the Twins may compete.

Remember: HOT STOVE SEASON has just begun. And Drew Butera is still on the roster.

Quick, name 25 guys who are on the 40-man roster who played in the majors for the Twins!?

joeboo_22
12-07-2012, 12:36 AM
If Hannahan is really in a bidding war, the Twins should be shopping Carroll, cut another 3 million in salary and find someone else.

I wouldn't be against Chone Figgins, though I get the impression if healthy and looks decent in ST Joe Benson has a job with the Twins its just whether or not he is starting or not. Which I'm not against, he has already been up, and if healthy he has as high of ceiling as anyone else in the organization.

Shane Wahl
12-07-2012, 12:49 AM
I'd put the odds at:
Hicks: 50%
Mastro: 40%
Benson:10%

It's Hicks job to lose.

I think this is pretty much correct. If Hicks demonstrates offensive competence in ST, the job is his. Mastro is the backup option and that honestly isn't terrible.

By the way, back to my 2012 adopted prospect Chris Herrmann . . . this OF exodus means that it really would make more sense to have Herrmann instead of Butera on the roster, especially if Mastroianni is the opening CF.

Shane Wahl
12-07-2012, 12:56 AM
If Hannahan is really in a bidding war, the Twins should be shopping Carroll, cut another 3 million in salary and find someone else.

I wouldn't be against Chone Figgins, though I get the impression if healthy and looks decent in ST Joe Benson has a job with the Twins its just whether or not he is starting or not. Which I'm not against, he has already been up, and if healthy he has as high of ceiling as anyone else in the organization.

Carroll is a good OBP guy and Chone Figgins is now completely and utterly terrible.

shs_59
12-07-2012, 12:57 AM
Hicks shouldn't be up in 2013 untill AUGUST or SEPTEMBER

don't rush the guy! I'm telling you

Look what happened to Brian Dozier , we all freaked out demanded him up there in Early or Mid May and he fell off the earth, eventually. He should of been in AAA untill August and then you feel MORE confident about Dozier's chances.......

I pray its Ichiro, Mastro , or even Benson or Andres Torres before Aaron Hicks. in April anways.

Reds or Mariners both want OF'ers

Shane Wahl
12-07-2012, 12:58 AM
My dream lineup would be:

Hicks
Mauer
Willingham
Morneau
Doumit
Plouffe
Parmelee
Dozier/Carroll
Florimon/Carroll

spideyo
12-07-2012, 03:20 PM
I would hope in your dream lineup we'd get some better middle infielders

Kobs
12-07-2012, 03:54 PM
My dream lineup would be:

Hicks
Mauer
Willingham
Morneau
Doumit
Plouffe
Parmelee
Dozier/Carroll
Florimon/Carroll

You have sad, sad dreams.

Brandon
12-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Realistic CF alternatives would be Nyler Morgan and Scott Posedinek. they would both be inexpensive and stop gap as in they could be replaced midseason when we bring up Hicks and delay FA and arbitration by 1 year.

Reginald Maudling's Shin
12-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Did they ever figure out what happened to Benson last year? I'm surprised he's being considered for the starting CF gig. Maybe this is a motivational tool? I guess with the Twins org still having a crowded OF, if he can't help the MLB club in the next year or two he never will.

Einstein
12-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Hicks needs time in AAA. How anyone can pencil in Benson after the year he had last year is beyond me. I predict that Darin Mastroianni, although a fourth outfielder at best, will be starting come opening day.

twinsnorth49
12-08-2012, 12:34 PM
You know, you have to think the Twins were considering the Span and Revere moves well before the season ended (Span we know for sure), at least the possibility that if something came up, they would be more than willing to listen. Which makes me wonder even further as to why Hicks didn't get a call-up in September. A month under his belt in the majors would have served him well for what he is likely going to be facing at some point next season.

TopGunn#22
12-08-2012, 12:55 PM
I agree with those who've stated that Hicks won't be up until they get that 7th year of team control. It just makes too much sense. That leaves Benson and Mastro, and I agree with the thought that this should be a sink or swim moment for Benson. I can't see the Twins going out and signing any stop gap OF'ers. If they can' get all they want for pitching, one more guy in the mix for SS/2B makes more sense.

johnnydakota
12-08-2012, 01:02 PM
It's true it may force Gardy to bat mauer 2nd but without a decent leadoff hitter it won't much matter. I can live with Mastro at the beginning of the season if Hicks/Benson can step in around June. Wouldn't suprise if Twins sign a cheap CF in the latter parts of FA to bridge the gap.

of the 3 who had a higher obp? Ben , Span or Carroll? and Mastroanni was .003 less then Revere
also i wondered if Rick Ankiel was a cheap insurance option ?

Alex
12-08-2012, 01:11 PM
I don't understand why people think Hicks is MLB ready. He had a good season at AA, which is great to see and more positive than not, but that is all. This seems a bit like the Dozier movement last year.

Twins Twerp
12-08-2012, 01:26 PM

of the 3 who had a higher obp? Ben , Span or Carroll? and Mastroanni was .003 less then Revere
also i wondered if Rick Ankiel was a cheap insurance option ?

To pitch right?

Riverbrian
12-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Nothing wrong with Mastro to start the season. Matter of Fact... He may become sticky with an everyday job. He Could Steal 50 Plus bases with playing time.

Ben is faster but I think Mastro might be a better SB guy in total.

Rosterman
12-08-2012, 01:39 PM
If you are going to watch someone swing and miss, let it be Benson. The Twins will continue to play the arbitration clock with Arcia and Hicks, unless they blow the opposition away in spring training. I could see them up here periodically during the season, not at all though if the Twins are slow out of the gate. Benson, who Ryan calls the "best all-around athlete" in the system, will get his chance to shine and take lumps. And he will. I hate the thought of a newbee leading off. Carroll can bat second. None of the other light-hitters -- Florimon, Escobar, Dozier -- would be better at the top of the order than the bottom. I'm just worried about who watches the msot pitches, who can get on base, and the effect it may have on Mauer's bat.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
12-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Nothing wrong with Mastro to start the season. Matter of Fact... He may become sticky with an everyday job. He Could Steal 50 Plus bases with playing time.

Ben is faster but I think Mastro might be a better SB guy in total.

Agreed, Mastroianni is a much better base stealer. His SB/CS ratio is exceptional. It's fun to watch him run because he is pure hustle. Mastroianni just has to hit for him to be valuable. He's been able to do it in the minors and he did last season, so I think it's a good bet that he does.

Riverbrian
12-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Sometimes all a guy needs is a chance. Mastro could be getting that chance come April. His window will probably be short so he better be getting himself ready to make the most of it.

The Twins could make a run at Nyjer Morgan or something... That wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility but I don't think the Twins fortunes will sink with Mastro in Center for awhile.

Rosterman... As for Benson... I've read all the reports... I saw him in September 2011... I'm pulling for him. If he hit is potential... It would be huge for this organization. However... That .202 from last year... was a bummer. Not saying he can't bounce back... By no means am I saying that but since that .202 from last year is sitting there. Don't you think that Benson should be given some additional minor league time to build some confidence back before being thrown into the big time?

Of course that leads to an interesting question that should probably be in the Farm Section. Where do you see Hicks, Arcia and Benson starting the year and at what position? Is that our Rochester OF?

SpiritofVodkaDave
12-08-2012, 03:37 PM
I don't understand why people think Hicks is MLB ready. He had a good season at AA, which is great to see and more positive than not, but that is all. This seems a bit like the Dozier movement last year.

Big difference between Dozier and Hicks though.

Hicks is already ML ready defensively.

Brandon
12-08-2012, 04:05 PM
I see a platoon of Nyler Morgan and Mastroianni at first
2nd guess is Benson and Mastroianni
3rd is Ankiel and Mastroianni
4th is trade or other FA from likes of Johnny Damon, Posednick, AAA FA
5th is Hicks

THe Twins will go with the best option but if teh option can delay Hicks for a year then that one will likely happen last.

stringer bell
12-08-2012, 04:35 PM
When I saw Revere was traded, it was the first question that occurred to me. I have like Benson for a long time and was really bummed by his lost injury-plagued season. He's had a cup of coffee in both Rochester and Mpls. I don't know if that gives him a leg up on Hicks or not, but Joe has real power and real speed. I hope he comes back with a strong season and is able to contribute to the Twins.

Shane Wahl
12-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Mastroianni is not a great CF. He is good enough as a backup. With Willingham and Parmelee in the corners, it could be pretty bad. CF is going to matter a ton defensively. Hicks has been MLB ready defensively for awhile now.

Riverbrian
12-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Mastroianni is not a great CF. He is good enough as a backup. With Willingham and Parmelee in the corners, it could be pretty bad. CF is going to matter a ton defensively. Hicks has been MLB ready defensively for awhile now.

I've certainly heard from quite a few that Hicks is a CF Monster. I haven't seen him play but I will trust those words. I've heard it often enough. He may start with the big club but I've seen too many prospects delayed until the Arb Clock and am guessing that it will be the same with Hicks. Just a guess.

As for Mastro... He didn't do anything in the OF that concerns me... Haven't really seen him in CF much to judge him against Revere and Span. Revere is clearly better in my opinion but it would be tough to hold that standard against Mastro. No doubt about it... Our OF defense took a step back but it actually took the first step back when Parmelee replaced Span in the starting lineup. The D will be challenged regardless if it's Span, Revere or Mastro in CF.

diehardtwinsfan
12-08-2012, 10:19 PM
I just don't see Hicks getting called up... Don't see Benson either. The Twins like both of these guys, and both could use some time in the minors. In Benson's case, there are some real question marks as well. I'd guess they will sign one other guy to work with Mastro... Mastro will also get every chance to build some value, as he could get flipped as well.