PDA

View Full Version : Drew Butera

darin617
11-30-2012, 09:09 PM
I can't believe the Twins are going to wait until the last minute to non tender Drew Butera. Come on you can't have 1/8 of your 40 man roster filled with catchers.

On another note, I ran across a pitcher that was drafted by the Twins in the 22nd round in 2007 that never signed and could be a decent bullpen addition. Mickey Storey.

Storey was just claimed off waivers from the Astros last week, but the Yankees needed to clear some space on their 40-man roster. The 26-year-old right-hander had a 3.86 ERA and 1.22 WHIP in 30 1/3 innings this past season and could draw interest on waivers.

jokin
11-30-2012, 09:18 PM
]I can't believe the Twins are going to wait until the last minute to non tender Drew Butera. Come on you can't have 1/8 of your 40 man roster filled with catchers.
[/B]
On another note, I ran across a pitcher that was drafted by the Twins in the 22nd round in 2007 that never signed and could be a decent bullpen addition. Mickey Storey.

Storey was just claimed off waivers from the Astros last week, but the Yankees needed to clear some space on their 40-man roster. The 26-year-old right-hander had a 3.86 ERA and 1.22 WHIP in 30 1/3 innings this past season and could draw interest on waivers.

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised that the Twins haven't pulled the plug. If it was entirely up to Gardy, he'd ascertain that he still didn't have enough Catchers on the 40-man.

Regarding Storey, Ryan has been asleep at the wheel on available pitchers via the waiver wire for many months now. Claiming Storey seems like a no-brainer if Jeff Gray & Maloney were lauded as two of your prime gets last year.

Jeremy Nygaard
11-30-2012, 09:25 PM
I don't think they're waiting to pull the plug... I think they're trying to avoid arbitration.

Having Butera allows Mauer, Doumit and Herrmann (AAA) to play everyday. Not having him means that Herrmann rides the pine or Mauer or Doumit never DHs.

Of course, I could be wrong too.

darin617
11-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Do you really need to have 5 catchers protected on the 40 man? I know Mauer and Doumit play other positions but pull the plug already.

Craig in MN
11-30-2012, 09:50 PM
I'm no Butera fan, but I don't really see the point in dumping him right now. If the 40 man roster was full it would make sense. But he's a super-2 backup catcher who can't even hit .200.....he's due probably a $50k raise through arbitration. They don't need the roster spot and they aren't out any appreciable amount of money. If they decide they need the roster spot, that won't stand in the way of him being waived or probably even another team picking him up. And if he did get released today, they'd probably have to waste time/money calling around for another catcher for spring training/Rochester depth.

If he's released before the end of spring training, the Twins only have to pay him 20% of his salary. The cost to keep him around through at least spring training are rounding errors. If they weren't going to waive him last week when the roster was full, they almost certainly aren't going to do it today.

jokin
11-30-2012, 09:52 PM
I don't think they're waiting to pull the plug... I think they're trying to avoid arbitration.

Having Butera allows Mauer, Doumit and Herrmann (AAA) to play everyday. Not having him means that Herrmann rides the pine or Mauer or Doumit never DHs.

Of course, I could be wrong too.

If anyone in the Twins FO has a free hour or two scanning the waiver wires for 3rd catchers (Isn't that kind of like the Vikes looking for backup fullbacks?), it would far more productive than going through arbitration scenario machinations on trying to retain Butera's services more cheaply.

Jeremy Nygaard
11-30-2012, 10:14 PM
I think the Twins see enough value in Butera's defense and ability to work with their pitchers to keep him around. Butera has options left, so if the Twins and him could agree on a split-contract both parties should be happy. He is guaranteed some money, the Twins are guaranteed having him back. The catching depth in the minors - from top to bottom - and that shouldn't be forgotten, even with five catchers on the 40-man.

Quick, of those five catchers who's primary position is catcher?

Rosterman
11-30-2012, 10:40 PM
Hell, grab Eli Whiteside again.

Riverbrian
11-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Quick, of those five catchers who's primary position is catcher?

DTRE BYRWRQ!!!

I could have typed the answer better if you allowed more time.

johnnydakota
11-30-2012, 11:05 PM
If the twins are going to resign loco liriano , why not sign brayan pena?
Help frankie out by getting a spanish speaking catcher, to help reinforce cuellars teachings .
Plus he hits over .200, with out looking i think a .248 career B.A.

beckmt
11-30-2012, 11:09 PM
Butera is a non issue. He should be non-tendered. Let's hope it is soon. Twins need to have some of the minor leagues who are just about ready play up here and see what they have. It should not be a year for non talent.

jokin
11-30-2012, 11:23 PM
If the twins are going to resign loco liriano , why not sign brayan pena?
Help frankie out by getting a spanish speaking catcher, to help reinforce cuellars teachings .
Plus he hits over .200, with out looking i think a .248 career B.A.

This is exactly what I was talking about in spending an hour looking at the available FAs, blindfolded and coming up with an obviously better option.

B. Pena's career slash line: .248/.286/.350
D. butera's career slsh line: .183/.232/.265

Pena is 30 and is making $875,000.
Butera is 29 and making the league minimum.

And the Twins have many other EASL Spanish-speaking pitchers besides Liriano who would benefit from the Cuban catcher.

This is an obvious no-brainer, so the Twins will obviously balk at the possibility.

Fantasy reason for this signing:

Pena as personal caddie for A. Sanchez?

snepp
12-01-2012, 02:06 AM
Drew's career hitting line puts him among the top 10 worst all-time for players with as many plate appearances as he has.

He doesn't belong on a major league roster.

diehardtwinsfan
12-01-2012, 07:46 AM
unfortunately, the fact that he hasn't been non-tendered says he's still in the team's plans... or at the very least they haven't found someone worth dumping him for so they are holding on to him for the time being... Hope I'm wrong...

Also hoping that Mauer plays a few more games behind the plate next year... That would make Butera a bit more expendable.

ScottyB
12-01-2012, 12:30 PM
According to MLB and mlbtraderumors Butera HAS been tendered. :mad:

greengoblinrulz
12-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Butera bein tendered means that if he doesnt agree to an agreement.....he'll get 800/900K in arbitration meaning he has a 25 man roster spot secured. An absolute waste of 300/400K
This kind of decision is why MN is guarranteed another 90 loss season.....no question.
12 of 13 everyday players are secured....why even have a spring training

luke829
12-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Drew's career hitting line puts him among the top 10 worst all-time for players with as many plate appearances as he has.

But, he has the family pedigree . Just think of the potential :)

Kobs
12-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Butera embodies everything that is wrong with this franchise. I will have to rethink my plans to buy tickets for this season.

Shane Wahl
12-01-2012, 12:50 PM

Haha. Exactly. I can't believe that there is ANY debate about this. I would be nice to him and offer something which I know is stupid, but a long-term AAA deal to work with pitchers. Not as a coach, but as an actual catcher. If there was any way that this could be done, it would be highly idea.

Shane Wahl
12-01-2012, 12:55 PM
It isn't clear to me that Chris Herrmann needs to be playing every day at this point. Now, I understand that he greatly underwhelmed in September last year, but such limited time says very little. I don't think Herrmann is going to ever really be an everyday player anyway, so why not utilize him has Doumit-light as the 2nd catcher (allowing Doumit's time behind the plate to drop at least 20-25% please) and 5th OF? Even if the offensive numbers are DEAD middle between Butera and Doumit, that is a big improvement. And the defensive drop from Butera to Herrmann is at least significantly made up by the gain from Doumit to Herrmann back there. Herrmann ideally also means that the Twins also have a LH bench bat (even if he just walks) that they could actually use in PH role.

greengoblinrulz
12-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Hermann, Gibson, Meyer will all be in AAA till the July 31st deadline.....meaning that the only time to pay attention to the Twins is after they call up their legit players.

old nurse
12-01-2012, 01:06 PM
The Twins hired Stienbach in part to make Doumit a better catcher. They can still outright/demote Butera at any time. Any arbitration tdecision o give Butera more than minimum wage is a best a fantasy. It doesn't matter if they tendered him or not.

greengoblinrulz
12-01-2012, 01:17 PM
The Twins hired Stienbach in part to make Doumit a better catcher. They can still outright/demote Butera at any time. Any arbitration tdecision o give Butera more than minimum wage is a best a fantasy. It doesn't matter if they tendered him or not.
Butera wont be sent to AAA as they are already full on their AAA roster
Arbitration is a tricky thing MN will have nothing to do with the decision. They are forced to pay 800K to a player who wont play but make Gardy feel more secure.

TwinsFanInPhilly
12-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Hermann, Gibson, Meyer will all be in AAA till the July 31st deadline.....meaning that the only time to pay attention to the Twins is after they call up their legit players.

See you in August then

Jeremy Nygaard
12-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Butera wont be sent to AAA as they are already full on their AAA roster
Arbitration is a tricky thing MN will have nothing to do with the decision. They are forced to pay 800K to a player who wont play but make Gardy feel more secure.

Matt Swartz, who is pretty accurate in his arbitration projects, has Butera getting 500K via arbitration. (I have slotted in at $515,000 here (http://www.twinsdaily.com/content.php?901-roster-payroll).)

If, in actuality, the Twins do end up paying him 800K, then yeah, big mistake.

mike wants wins
12-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous. One of the worst baseball players ever. My mind is constantly boggled by anyone thinking he should be on a MLB roster. No amount of mythical catcher defense can make up for his offense.

greengoblinrulz
12-01-2012, 01:58 PM

See you in August then
there is some seriousness to this.
Although it could be the next week, Morneau is not gonna be extended so most serious Twins fans will just wait for his July trade as it will bring the debuts of either/both of Hicks/Arcia.
The next few days, will TRyan sign legit FA pitchers to anything more than a 1yr deal or will he buy low & just look to trade those 1yr deals in August to get to the real pitching prospect of Meyer/Gibson.
Goin into the season with , what is today, the worst middle infileld in the majors--but not thinking anything is wrong with it is just another depressing thing.
Its just frustrating that after becoming the worst team in AL/2nd worst in majors over the past 2 yrs......there doesnt seem to be any urgency

joeboo_22
12-01-2012, 02:58 PM
The Twins being bad is one thing, its constantly making dumb decisions like keeping Drew Butera that is what is bad. Its not little league, doing everything right and playing somewhat good (though over-rated) defense isn't suppose to guarantee you a spot on the roster. At the end of the day you need to be able to hit a bit.