PDA

View Full Version : Chone Figgins

Seth Stohs
11-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Not that I want to encourage a new thread for every player that becomes available, but I do think that Chone Figgins is interesting. The Mariners DFAd him and will own him $8 million for the season. No one is going to pick that up, so he should become a free agent. At that point, should the Twins be interested in signing him at league minimum.

He earned the big contract with many good years with the Angels. He was a mid-600s OPS in his first year in Seattle, and he's been terrible the last two years. So, if he could even post those mid-600 OPS as a utility infielder, would that be worth it. At 34, does he have the ability or upside yet to have one more good year? Can he be the competition for Trevor Plouffe that Terry Ryan is talking about?

Personally, the more I think about this, the more I think that I'd just go with Eduardo Escobar as the utility infielder. But I don't think Figgins would be a bad low-risk, medium reward candidate.

What say you?

CC7
11-20-2012, 09:57 PM
go for it, 1yr/1.5

Craig in MN
11-20-2012, 10:02 PM
He's worth a minor league deal with ST invite, but nothing more. I see no problems if the Twins are interested in that.

SpiritofVodkaDave
11-20-2012, 10:03 PM
No. No. No. No! As someone who has the mariners as their number 2 team (entire immediate family lives in Seattle) I can tell you figgins is the absolute worst,the only and I mean ONLY good thing about his tenure in Seattle was a local bar offered draft bears for the price of whatever Figgins batting average was at the time. As much as I am a fan of sub $2 pints, I can't in any faith endorse them signing this turd for anything period.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
11-20-2012, 10:12 PM
No. No. No. No! As someone who has the mariners as their number 2 team (entire immediate family lives in Seattle) I can tell you figgins is the absolute worst,the only and I mean ONLY good thing about his tenure in Seattle was a local bar offered draft bears for the price of whatever Figgins batting average was at the time. As much as I am a fan of sub $2 pints, I can't in any faith endorse them signing this turd for anything period.

I agree 100%. While I don't probably don't know as much about Figgins as Dave, the absolute last thing I want to do is add more players who can't hit for power. Spend some money on Youkilis for 3B please. He will bring some fans back and his right handedness will be greatly appreciated in the lineup at Target Field.

snepp
11-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Even if he weren't a putrid player, is he even capable of playing a viable middle infield at this point?

Top Gun
11-20-2012, 10:50 PM
I still think Chone could be great! Could he be our 2b? Price would have to be right.

Kobs
11-20-2012, 10:57 PM
I could post this question on a lot of these threads, but here goes:

How does acquiring people who are bad a playing baseball make the Twins better at playing baseball?

SpiritofVodkaDave
11-20-2012, 11:04 PM
Even if he weren't a putrid player, is he even capable of playing a viable middle infield at this point?

No, it says alot when the offensive starved Mariners moved his ass to corner OF this year bc he can't play ANY viable inf position at this point. Fun fact: Punto has a 55 point higher OPS over the past 3 years then Figgins and actually is able to PLAY DEFENSE!!!!!!!!

Brad Swanson
11-20-2012, 11:14 PM
I could post this question on a lot of these threads, but here goes:

How does acquiring people who are bad a playing baseball make the Twins better at playing baseball?

This is my favorite post ever. Figgins had an OPS+ of 54 last year. I think the Twins can let him sign elsewhere and be just fine.

glunn
11-21-2012, 12:42 AM
It will be interesting to see who hires Figgins. I agree with Seth that he could be decent again.

snepp
11-21-2012, 01:37 AM
Do many 35-year-olds with multiple years of putridity become decent again?

Nick Nelson
11-21-2012, 01:38 AM
Figgins is interesting in the same way that a car wreck is interesting. Dude makes Nick Punto look like a stud.

ScottyB
11-21-2012, 01:58 AM
My guess is he could be a utility infielder as much as Brandon Inge could be a backup catcher - in other words - NOT. Besides, we now have no room on the 40-man roster (although I don't know why).

Top Gun
11-21-2012, 02:11 AM
Seattle is not a great place to hit, just ask Beltre. Chone still has career ba of .280 and has average over 40 sb.

Fire Dan Gladden
11-21-2012, 06:45 AM
Minor league contract, ST invite. He could be useful to have in the system, if he is willing.

Brock Beauchamp
11-21-2012, 06:48 AM
I laughed my ass off when Seattle signed Figgins to that contract (lived in Long Beach and followed his entire career with the Angels).

No thanks. Figgins is a perfect example of why you dish off speedy, no-power guys the moment they peak in value. They have a tendency to die an ugly baseball death at age 30.

Brock Beauchamp
11-21-2012, 06:51 AM
Seattle is not a great place to hit, just ask Beltre. Chone still has career ba of .280 and has average over 40 sb.

If anything, Seattle should help a guy like Figgins because he's not going to hit the ball over the fence anyway. All that OF space leaves big gaps for him to hit.

beckmt
11-21-2012, 06:52 AM
He will probably get a minimum salary major league deal somewhere. Should it be here, interesting. Last few years have been really bad. Final opinion, No

minn55441
11-21-2012, 08:24 AM
No to Figgins, No to Valencia. Enough with players that aren't good enough to make other teams 40 man roster. Minor league deal? Perhaps, but lets go get some players that can actually make this team better.

I would make a bad GM, I would eventually get impatient and just say sign him, I don't care about the cost. I'm convinced that is worth it to spend a little more and get quality.

SpiritofVodkaDave
11-21-2012, 08:28 AM
The funny thing is Figgins might be the worst player in baseball currently, and people WANT to bring him in for some reason. In addition to him being terrible at baseball he is also a bad clubhouse guy.

Jim Crikket
11-21-2012, 08:33 AM
Sounds like a perfect fit... if your intent is to get by on the cheap by signing someone with a name that people might recognize but won't seriously challenge any of your younger players for a spot on the roster, yet allowing you to tell your fan base that you "tried" to improve the team.

Twins Twerp
11-21-2012, 08:49 AM
I doubt a Japanese team would even touch this guy.

Boom Boom
11-21-2012, 08:59 AM
Even if Figgins played up to his ability, he'd still be redundant with Carroll already around.

ericchri
11-21-2012, 09:10 AM
This sounds like the kind of thing the Twins would do in the mid-to-late 90's. Sign a washed-up veteran in hopes he reclaims some of his past glory to pretend you're trying to compete when you're really not. I actually kinda wanted the Twins to sign him when he was a FA, I thought he'd look great at the top of our lineup with Span (two guys at the time sporting near .400 OBP), but his performance in Seattle has erased that feeling. Pass on Figgins, please.

Shane Wahl
11-27-2012, 08:59 AM
I laughed my ass off when Seattle signed Figgins to that contract (lived in Long Beach and followed his entire career with the Angels).

No thanks. Figgins is a perfect example of why you dish off speedy, no-power guys the moment they peak in value. They have a tendency to die an ugly baseball death at age 30.

Precisely. Though I didn't listen to myself and still drafted him in my fantasy league not once, but TWICE after the decline.

Twins Twerp
11-27-2012, 09:10 AM
I will say this, Chone was a Twins killer when he was with the Angels. The guy must have been on base 8 out of 10 times, and then would get 8 steals out of 8 tries. When he was a free agent, I remember one the old guys I work with(a twins fanatic) wouldn't shut up about trying to sign him. If I recall, he signed that now laughable deal in Seattle, and we ended up with Joe "no disk" Crede. In the end, they both sucked. At least Joe was a one year no chance guy.

Brandon
11-27-2012, 09:17 AM
He has enough speed to be useful. He plays 3B, 2B, and a little SS if i remember right. will cost the same as escobar with more experience. By signing him to a utility position you can't go wrong. If he hits so bad you gotta replace him you can, and if he hits well he can spell the player in a slump which would be really helpful if 2 players are slumping and Carroll is out there playing everyday. There really is only upside in this scenario.

SpiritofVodkaDave
11-27-2012, 09:37 AM
. By signing him to a utility position you can't go wrong.

Yes you can.

Shane Wahl
11-27-2012, 09:43 AM
He has enough speed to be useful. He plays 3B, 2B, and a little SS if i remember right. will cost the same as escobar with more experience. By signing him to a utility position you can't go wrong. If he hits so bad you gotta replace him you can, and if he hits well he can spell the player in a slump which would be really helpful if 2 players are slumping and Carroll is out there playing everyday. There really is only upside in this scenario.

He has been TERRIBLE​ for three years.

Shane Wahl
11-27-2012, 09:50 AM
He can no longer hit, his BB/K rate is going in the wrong direction dramatically, he no longer really steal bases, his defense is now below average, he has been below replacement level for 2 seasons, is a bit of a problem in the clubhouse, and would take valuable playing time away from players the Twins need to develop in order to figure out the future of this godforsaken infield.

WHAT MORE NEEDS TO BE SAID?

birdwatcher
11-27-2012, 09:51 AM
We have no NEED for a player like this. None whatsoever.

If we want a player likely to dissappoint us, let's just go with what we got.

Shane Wahl
11-27-2012, 10:01 AM
We have no NEED for a player like this. None whatsoever.

If we want a player likely to dissappoint us, let's just go with what we got.

Imagine Drew Butera with bad defense and who plays in the infield. That's Chone Figgins now.

twinsnorth49
11-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Imagine Drew Butera with bad defense and who plays in the infield. That's Chone Figgins now.

That's about all the perspective that should be needed.

Brock Beauchamp
11-27-2012, 10:25 AM

That should be all anybody needs to know about Chone Figgins.

Rosterman
11-27-2012, 10:31 AM
He WILL land somewhere...and he has something to prove...that he deserves to play beyond 2013, I would think...unless is is totally content to drift into the sunset. Any team that signs him will only have to pay the major league minimum, nothing more. I'm sure he will hold out for playing time and the position he wants to play. But don't see him as a good fit for the Twins. His attitude, if I read him right, is me, me, me.

John Bonnes
11-27-2012, 11:09 AM
He's not Drew Butera because Drew Butera never had the success Chone Figgins had. When Figgins signed that bid deal with the Mariners (which nobody thought was particularly crazy) his career OBP was .363. Even now, after two years of having an OPB of .241 and .272, his career OBP is still .349.

Maybe he just got really old really fast. He is 34. But I'd be a lot more comfortable giving him a job at 2B and having Carroll play SS than I am choosing between Dozier and Florimon as a starter next year.

SpiritofVodkaDave
11-27-2012, 11:15 AM
He's not Drew Butera because Drew Butera never had the success Chone Figgins had. When Figgins signed that bid deal with the Mariners (which nobody thought was particularly crazy)

Plenty of people thought that it was a crazy signing at the time, it was ripped universally.

Again, Figgins was probably the worst player in baseball last year. The Twins need to stay as far away from him as possible, I'd rather give Dozier 600 at bats then Figgins 8 days out of the week, and Dozier would actually out preform him by a wide margin.

SpiritofVodkaDave
11-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Also Figgins is GARBAGE defensively at 2B.

Brock Beauchamp
11-27-2012, 11:20 AM
When Figgins signed that bid deal with the Mariners (which nobody thought was particularly crazy)

Not to blow my own horn but I lambasted and heckled that signing from day one.

But, again, I do not like no-hit speedsters going into their 30s. I think they're almost universally a bad idea.

twinsnorth49
11-27-2012, 11:21 AM
He's not Drew Butera because Drew Butera never had the success Chone Figgins had. When Figgins signed that bid deal with the Mariners (which nobody thought was particularly crazy) his career OBP was .363. Even now, after two years of having an OPB of .241 and .272, his career OBP is still .349.

Maybe he just got really old really fast. He is 34. But I'd be a lot more comfortable giving him a job at 2B and having Carroll play SS than I am choosing between Dozier and Florimon as a starter next year.

I think what Shane said was, he has turned into Drew Butera, minus the defense. At 34 I'd pay a lot more attention to .241, .272 over the last two years than a career .363, that's over with, then there's the attitude.

Not that I believe that Florimon or Dozier are the answer but I'd rather find out for sure, at least with Dozier, before I threw in the towel and went with Figgins is at this stage.

Willihammer
11-27-2012, 02:20 PM
I've been trying to figure out why Figgins' BABIP hit the floor. I see a few things:

* IFFB% spiked in 2011 to 15.8% (career avg 8.0%)

That's about it.

His plate discipline, ground ball, line drive, and fly balls rates haven't changed much. He did make contact on 83.1% of out of zone balls in 2011, which was a career high. Mainly I think he's just slower. He didn't get a single infield hit in 2012. His bunt hit% is also down every year since 2009. SB's are obviously down too, though he has attempted fewer swipes.

BBWriterMan
11-27-2012, 06:48 PM
In terms of cost, Figgins may be a good option. But in terms of what he can still offer at this stage of his career, I see some Tony Bautista/Juan Castro/name another low-cost veteran the Twins have signed in recent years in him.

Shane Wahl
11-29-2012, 01:07 AM
How is this still a discussion? He is now TERRIBLE. Trust me, I loved the guy years ago, but once this type of player loses speed there is a disaster coming. Anyway, a .484 OPS in 2011 and a .533 OPS in 2012 should, you know, be pretty damn telling. Couple that lack of ANY offensive production with a sub-par-to poor defense and there is NO REASON WHATSOEVER TO WASTE TIME WITH THIS GUY. I am shocked there is any argument about this. Even Florimon and Dozier at their worst are not going to suck this bad. And there is potential that something happens with at least one of them. As in, they are on the incline and Figgins is obviously on the decline. I would rather have James Beresford start at second base RIGHT NOW than waste anything on Figgins.

Top Gun
11-29-2012, 01:39 AM
Gardy is right, mi speed wins, but Chone has got to prove it first.