PDA

View Full Version : Reds as trading partners

minn55441
11-15-2012, 05:01 PM
From MLB trade rumors on Thursday

The Reds' first priority is trying to find a leadoff hitter, though Jocketty said that Michael Bourn (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bournmi01.shtml?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-www.typepad.com) is too expensive for his club and the same could be true about Angel Pagan (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/paganan01.shtml?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-www.typepad.com).

Later he goes on to say

Jocketty said last week that the Reds could deal one of their shortstops (Zack Cozart (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cozarza01.shtml?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-www.typepad.com) and Didi Gregorius (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gregodi01.shtml?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-www.typepad.com)) if the right deal came along, but Jocketty said that neither player is being shopped. "We’re not taking offers,” Jocketty said. “That gets out and then we have to call Cozart and call Didi.”

I still think we are a good trade partner, even if I would prefer we go after pitching

diehardtwinsfan
11-15-2012, 06:23 PM
They have some nice pitching prospects too. Neither of those SS prospects scream at me, but they have several pitchers in the high minors with 1/2 type ceilings.

old nurse
11-15-2012, 07:17 PM
With what Span could do for the Reds they should give up a ss prospect and a quality pitching prospect. Then again, I overvalue a leadoff hitter with a reasonable contract. Having a higher uzr than the gold glove winner in your league doesn't hurt the value either

rgslone
11-15-2012, 07:44 PM
What about Willingham and Revere for Homer Bailey and Drew Stubbs? Bailey is a 26 yr. old power arm, with a 3.68 ERA and a no-hitter this season. Stubbs has great speed and defense in CF, he's also pretty good against LH pitching (although he's a strikeout machine against RH pitching). The Twins would also save a few million that they could use for another piece (e.g., a SS).

minn55441
11-15-2012, 08:52 PM
I'm not sure it is the most intelligent thing to do, but if you take Jocketty at his word. A lead off hitter is his number one priority. Followed by a statement that the two main FA choices are in his own words "too expensive for his club". I would think that puts Span on the top of his list.

I wonder if Jocketty has offered TR one of his SS and TR is holding out for pitching? I"m sure from the Reds perspective, they are close, they just need to fill some holes. They need to fill that lead off spot without taking anything away from what they have already built. SS is an area of excess for them. Pitching seems to be the one area where everyone claims you can't have enough.

I wonder if they have got to the point where we have offers out to the Rays, Braves and Reds and we are just waiting to see who is willing to move first?

Willihammer
11-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Orlando Hudson? I know Dickbert had a running joke about him running his mouth when he was here, I got the impression it was wearing hard on Gardy by the end of the year. Didn't seem to hurt the product on the field too much. Coming off a horrible year, still only 35.

beckmt
11-15-2012, 10:57 PM
Do not know if Reds have pitching to spare. I also would prefer the Twins keep their trade chips for pitching. We still need a lot of it. All of the final 4 clubs(with possibly the exception of St. Louis had very good to excellant pitching. Twins have never had that and need to get there, especially by upping their bullpen if they cannot find enough starters.

Brock Beauchamp
11-16-2012, 08:26 AM
I'd prefer to get pitching but the middle infield isn't going to be fixed from the minor leagues any time soon, either. If Span can't be dealt for pitching, a young SS is a perfectly viable alternative.

ThePuck
11-16-2012, 12:46 PM
St Louis had the 8th best team ERA in MLB...and that was without Carpenter...

notoriousgod71
11-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Neither of those SS are worth Span... and I am all for trading him.

nicksaviking
11-16-2012, 03:38 PM
This team would benefit more if they spent $7 million on Stephen Drew and traded for Tony Cingrani than if they spent $7 million on Joe Saunders and traded for Didi Gregorius. Trade for the young pitching, sign the free agent hitters, a team CAN find offensive value on the market, good pitching almost always requires overpaying.

Willihammer
11-16-2012, 04:28 PM
There is a lot of pitching around this year, and not many middle infielders. We still have no idea what the rates will be for their services. But yeah in recent history, middle infielders are the most undervalued.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/positional-differences-in-the-price-of-war-2/

diehardtwinsfan
11-16-2012, 07:22 PM
This team would benefit more if they spent $7 million on Stephen Drew and traded for Tony Cingrani than if they spent $7 million on Joe Saunders and traded for Didi Gregorius. Trade for the young pitching, sign the free agent hitters, a team CAN find offensive value on the market, good pitching almost always requires overpaying.

Drew isn't getting 7M.