PDA

View Full Version : Twins re-signed Baker

Thrylos
10-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Still trying to find out the details (while trying to figure out the hurricane issue here and the stuff that comes with it, too)
But it looks like this:
3 year deal with option(s) and incentives. Not certain about the total value (heard a couple of things). Will be announced after the World Series is done.

So that is that. And you will hear the details from the access folks soon (Giants' helping)
If my electric holds Sandy, I might add more.

Just wanted you all to know.

(and I do not mind this move)

beckmt
10-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Hope this is true if not too much money. Very good move if he is heathly by 2014

kab21
10-28-2012, 09:09 PM
Great first move to the offseason. I'm guessing that the consensus will think they overpaid when we find out the dollar values for 2013 but the important thing is to lock in options since those will be the seasons that he should be pretty good. If he's not then you decline the option.

Willihammer
10-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Did someone tweet this?

Thrylos
10-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Did someone tweet this?

other than this (https://twitter.com/thrylos98/status/262710079168577537), I don't know
but it is a fact...

Jeremy Nygaard
10-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Did someone tweet this?

other than this (https://twitter.com/thrylos98/status/262710079168577537), I don't know
but it is a fact...

I tried citing myself when I wrote a paper once. It turns out that I would have been better off citing Wikipedia (which currently has the Twins declining his option, but not ruling out his return).

kab21
10-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Did someone tweet this?

but it is a fact...

I tried citing myself when I wrote a paper once. It turns out that I would have been better off citing Wikipedia (which currently has the Twins declining his option, but not ruling out his return).

The previous poster asked about a tweet when he should have asked about the source. thrylos responded with the only tweet (his own) that he knows about. For now all we have to go on is that thrylos inside source is accurate.

Thrylos
10-28-2012, 09:50 PM
Did someone tweet this?

but it is a fact...

The previous poster asked about a tweet when he should have asked about the source. thrylos responded with the only tweet (his own) that he knows about. For now all we have to go on is that thrylos inside source is accurate.

That tweet thing was a joke (just because he/she asked for it)
Let me put it this way: I know that Baker is signed as much as I knew that Willingham was a Twin and Cuddyer was gone and that Jon Rauch was a Twin at the deadline few years ago...

nicksaviking
10-28-2012, 10:43 PM
Thrylos is Greek for Deep Throat if I'm not mistaken.

Top Gun
10-28-2012, 11:30 PM
Giants sweep!

gunnarthor
10-29-2012, 01:52 AM
A 3 year deal for a pitcher coming off TJ surgery? I dunno, sounds made up.

Boom Boom
10-29-2012, 08:36 AM
I expect the Twins to sign Baker again, but three years for a guy coming off TJ surgery? I don't buy it.

Seems silly for the Twins to bid against themselves like that. I don't think any other team would offer him three years on the market right now.

kab21
10-29-2012, 08:41 AM
A 3 year deal for a pitcher coming off TJ surgery? I dunno, sounds made up.

I'm guessing years 2 and 3 are vesting/team options. I might disagree with thrylos frequently but I believe he has sources and that this is indeed true.

I'm kind of surprised that they didn't pull a Boras and get this contract announced from the stands during a WS game (ala ARod).

Brock Beauchamp
10-29-2012, 09:07 AM
If true, this is very interesting. Depending on the money, I like the move. Baker has been vastly underrated for years. When he's on his game, he's a very good #2 pitcher.

Twins Twerp
10-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Did someone tweet this?

but it is a fact...

That might be the single funniest thing ever posted on this website...EVER!!!

twinsnorth49
10-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Sounds like a few guys are a a little prickly about getting scooped by Thrylos!

10-29-2012, 12:26 PM
I like this move. If it is for three (3) years, it gives the Twins time to see if he is recovered or not. It also allows him to feel comfortable enough to take the time coming back and not try to do too much too fast. I agree that he is a solid 2 or 3 starter in most rotations. However, in the Twins rotation, he would for sure be a #2 unless the Twins sign a couple of high end starters, and I don't think anyone expects that.

Good move.

Jeremy Nygaard
10-29-2012, 01:30 PM
Prickly? Not so much. Remember when Mark Rosen reported that the Twins agreed to sign Mauer to a 10-year extension but didn't have contract details or any idea when it would get done?

I think we've come to expect/accept that the Twins will re-sign Baker. And if it happens to be a 3-yr deal like Thrylos suggests, I will tip my hat and wait for him to break news again.

Twins Twerp
10-29-2012, 01:47 PM
I have been searching the internet high and wide for this story. I have seen it no place other than twitter. What happened to the days where news broke after it happened, not before. I agree that their is a small chance the Twins will give him three years off the bat. My guess is one year, plus team options for year 2 and 3. That would make more sense. But to have it done the day after the baseball classic is very iffy. When can the guy even start throwing?

nicksaviking
10-29-2012, 01:53 PM
If he gets three years, the only issue I see is that the Twins would probably have to overpay him this year in exchange for having him the following two seasons when his value will likely be higher. For the first time in two decades, there are legit #2-3 arms affordable to the Twins on the free agent market, I'd hate to see the Twins think the free agents are $2-4 million more than their budget allows while Baker is getting overpaid by that same amount next year.

Winston Smith
10-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Peter Gammons is reporting that the Red Sux are in on every free agent so Baker could sign with the Red Sux. Rumor mania has started!

Twins Twerp
10-29-2012, 02:02 PM
If he gets three years, the only issue I see is that the Twins would probably have to overpay him this year in exchange for having him the following two seasons when his value will likely be higher. For the first time in two decades, there are legit #2-3 arms affordable to the Twins on the free agent market, I'd hate to see the Twins think the free agents are $2-4 million more than their budget allows while Baker is getting overpaid by that same amount next year.

This is what I thought at first. I thought, well three years is good because he will be grossly underpaid if he performs like he has in the past. But then, I starting thinking about it more. Coming of injury you never know what you are going to get. It is a gamble. If he doesn't come back the same and/or gets hurt again, then the Twins have made a bad gamble and that is dead money on the books...(Blackburn).

Willihammer
10-29-2012, 02:22 PM
It is a risk but would you rather have 3 years committed to Marcum who is coming off 124 innings and shoulder soreness? What about Haren or Dempster who are coming off significant velocity decline, or jeremy Guthrie who has the ceiling of a 2009 Nick Blackburn and the floor of 2011 Nick Blackburn? I'll gamble on the strikeout pitcher fresh off of TJ every time.

gmarais66
10-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Joe C. is reporting the Twins declined Baker's option... http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/blogs/176302831.html

Boom Boom
10-29-2012, 02:35 PM
It is a risk but would you rather have 3 years committed to Marcum who is coming off 124 innings and shoulder soreness? What about Haren or Dempster who are coming off significant velocity decline, or jeremy Guthrie who has the ceiling of a 2009 Nick Blackburn and the floor of 2011 Nick Blackburn? I'll gamble on the strikeout pitcher fresh off of TJ every time.

Who says you have to commit 3 years to Baker?

Twins Twerp
10-29-2012, 02:41 PM

No one, that is what we are trying to say...Thyroid broke the story, before the story happened, and we are saying debating whether or not this is a good idea committing 3 years to him (which is what Thyroid Gland broke on his twitter account).

Willihammer
10-29-2012, 02:47 PM
The market may be saying that. Jr is certainly saying that, in order to fetch free agent starting pitching you have to offer multi-year deals. If you are going to decline the option, that makes Baker a FA.

Boom Boom
10-29-2012, 02:48 PM

No one, that is what we are trying to say...Thyroid broke the story, before the story happened, and we are saying debating whether or not this is a good idea committing 3 years to him (which is what Thyroid Gland broke on his twitter account).

Yeah, I know - I was comparing this to what Marcum or Guthrie might get.

I think three years is a lot for Baker right now. Not everybody comes back from TJ surgery right away, and not everybody is ever the same. I'd give him a year with an option and tell Scott to test the market if he wants more. Baker wasn't exactly the durable type even before the surgery.

Jeremy Nygaard
10-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Last night, Wikipedia had announced (and I mentioned) that the Twins were declining Baker's option. Joe C., you got scooped!

nicksaviking
10-29-2012, 02:55 PM

I'd take three years of Haren at the expense of the injury prone Baker, and if I had to choose between Baker and Marcum, I'd take Marcum too. However, the debate isn't who would we rather have as there should be room for Baker AND a top free agent arm. The issue is there may not be room if Baker agrees to a 3 year deal but the first year is at $6 milion instead of $3 million like it should be.

TwinVike61
10-29-2012, 02:57 PM
[QUOTE=Twins Twerp;60323
No one, that is what we are trying to say...Thyroid broke the story, before the story happened, and we are saying debating whether or not this is a good idea committing 3 years to him (which is what Thyroid Gland broke on his twitter account).[/QUOTE]

Hypo-thyroid does seem to have insider info on breaking hormonal news.

Willihammer
10-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Pitching is an injury risk. And when a guy experiences velocity decline, like we saw with Pavano this year, it may indicate injury. What you should be paying a guy for is expected production, and not what he he already done for other teams. Personally, I'd project Baker to put together a better 3 year stretch then either Marcum or Haren based on his prior injury history being elbow related and that having just been addressed.

John Bonnes
10-29-2012, 03:14 PM
If Thryloss thinks he has some inside information, I have no problem with him posting it here since he has the guts to put his name on it. We should know soon enough if it's true.

diehardtwinsfan
10-29-2012, 03:26 PM
To his credit, he's scooped some things before... He's been wrong as well. We will see. That said, I'm all for Baker on a 3 year deal if at least one of those years is an option year.

Winston Smith
10-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Joe Mays! I'm not sure I'd spend a lot until I knew he could pitch again.

Top Gun
10-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Bakert could be done!

Top Gun
10-29-2012, 05:52 PM
Twins declined RHP Scott Baker's $9.25 million option for 2013.

It's no surprise, as Baker missed the entire season recovering from Tommy John surgery. The Minneapolis Star Tribune confirms that the Twins haven't ruled out re-signing Baker on an incentive-laden, one-year deal.

Source: Joe Christensen on Twitter (https://twitter.com/JoeCStrib/status/262996696018067458)

kab21
10-29-2012, 06:03 PM
I'd take three years of Haren at the expense of the injury prone Baker, and if I had to choose between Baker and Marcum, I'd take Marcum too. However, the debate isn't who would we rather have as there should be room for Baker AND a top free agent arm. The issue is there may not be room if Baker agrees to a 3 year deal but the first year is at $6 milion instead of $3 million like it should be.

3M (money, not the company) isn't going to stand in the way signing a guy like Marcum or Haren.

Riverbrian
10-29-2012, 06:14 PM
Declining the option was certainly expected. Picking up the option would have shocked everyone. Thrylos could still be right here. I'll be checking my Twinsdaily Daily in anticipation!

Jeremy Nygaard
10-29-2012, 07:02 PM
Moonshot Scott said it best himself:

"We’re talking, and obviously I think there’s a mutual feeling that I want to be back, and they want me back," Baker said. "But it has to make sense for both parties, and we’re just not there yet.

LINK (http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/blogs/176343501.html)

jm3319
10-29-2012, 10:59 PM
he's a goner. Bye-Bye Baker. http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8571140/minnesota-twins-decline-option-scott-baker-contract-2013

adjacent
10-29-2012, 11:29 PM
he's a goner. Bye-Bye Baker. http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8571140/minnesota-twins-decline-option-scott-baker-contract-2013
This information is what it was expected, and what the Star tribune reported today, that the option was declined. Now, what Thrylos is saying is that they are working in a totally different contract. In order to do so, the Twins have to decline the option.

USAFChief
10-30-2012, 01:48 AM
This information is what it was expected, and what the Star tribune reported today, that the option was declined. Now, what Thrylos is saying is that they are working in a totally different contract. In order to do so, the Twins have to decline the option.

Not to nitpick...but what Thrylos said was not that they "are working in a totally different contract." I'm sure that's probably true.

Thrylos' claim is that the "Twins re-signed Baker." Done deal. Totally different claim.

We shall see.

Brock Beauchamp
10-30-2012, 08:22 AM

Not to nitpick...but what Thrylos said was not that they "are working in a totally different contract." I'm sure that's probably true.

Thrylos' claim is that the "Twins re-signed Baker." Done deal. Totally different claim.

We shall see.

Declining the option was implied, I think. Did anyone seriously believe the Twins were going to guarantee Baker $9m in 2013?

sorney
10-30-2012, 08:47 AM

We shall see.

Declining the option was implied, I think. Did anyone seriously believe the Twins were going to guarantee Baker $9m in 2013?

Agreed. I was under the assumption that the original post was a about a decline and re-sign....which it still appears to be the case (awaiting the resign)

Nick Nelson
10-30-2012, 01:43 PM

We shall see.
Given that Baker himself said "we are not close," it seems pretty unlikely. I do suspect they will eventually get him signed, though.

Twins Twerp
10-31-2012, 08:24 AM
Still waiting for an anouncement...I have another story I am going to break right now.

"Zack Greinke has been signed by the Twins. Six Years 125 million. The news will break after Friday morning, according to my sources."

twinsnorth49
10-31-2012, 08:29 AM
Still waiting for an anouncement...I have another story I am going to break right now.

"Zack Greinke has been signed by the Twins. Six Years 125 million. The news will break after Friday morning, according to my sources."

Next

old nurse
10-31-2012, 08:38 AM

If you were trying to mock Thyrloss at least propose a contract the Twins would offer.

Twins Twerp
10-31-2012, 08:38 AM
"The Twins have traded Oswaldo Arcia, Aaron Hicks, Miguel Sano, Kyle Gibson, and a player to be named later (Byron Buxton), for Alex Rodriquez." According to my sources the deal is pending a physical by A-Rod. Welcome to the Twins A-Rod.

twinsnorth49
10-31-2012, 08:45 AM
Wow........even.....funnier.......:cry:

minn55441
10-31-2012, 08:47 AM
"The Twins have traded Oswaldo Arcia, Aaron Hicks, Miguel Sano, Kyle Gibson, and a player to be named later (Byron Buxton), for Alex Rodriquez." According to my sources the deal is pending a physical by A-Rod. Welcome to the Twins A-Rod.

I heard that we also had to throw in Joe and eat $50 million of his remaining salary, in addition to the players listed above. Must have been a different source.

SpiritofVodkaDave
10-31-2012, 11:15 AM
Time for the return of the Debbie Gots? Forum?

Brock Beauchamp
10-31-2012, 11:30 AM

I assume you mean "Baby Gots Downs".

The creation of that forum was one of my more enlightened decisions.

USAFChief
10-31-2012, 11:29 PM

I assume you mean "Baby Gots Downs".

The creation of that forum was one of my more enlightened decisions.

Wait...that forum was created by you?

I thought is was created about you.

Top Gun
11-01-2012, 12:28 AM
If you have to lie make it beleveable.

old nurse
11-01-2012, 06:51 AM
If you have to lie make it beleveable.

Not all have the humor of USAFChief.

Brock Beauchamp
11-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Wait...that forum was created by you?

I thought is was created about you.

Why do you believe those two things are separate?

Rosterman
11-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Why has this post managed to stay on this site. It was a joke when posted and should've been deleted at that point.

USAFChief
11-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Speaking of which...has anyone heard from thrylos since the hurricane? Do we know he made it through safely? Seriously.

SpiritofVodkaDave
11-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Speaking of which...has anyone heard from thrylos since the hurricane? Do we know he made it through safely? Seriously.

I'm sure he is fine, Leigh Valley is pretty far inland.

John Bonnes
11-01-2012, 07:09 PM

I traded messages with Thrylos earlier today. He's short of heat, power and water, but other than that, he's fine.

USAFChief
11-01-2012, 07:28 PM

I traded messages with Thrylos earlier today. He's short of heat, power and water, but other than that, he's fine.

Thanks.

Thrylos
11-01-2012, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the concern :)

I am alright (as John B said). Not much more than a phone these days (charged by my car charger) to connect to the 'net. Lehigh Valley kinda mess these days and have been working with folks and chainsaws to clear roads and stuff. Not too much water like NJ and NY and DE, but lots of trees and power lines down and the such and lots of folks who need help. So that's why I have not responded at this. Now I got a WiFi connection nearby, so here we go.

I still stand by the original post. Did not find more details (hey, got other priorities right now, sorry) but I do stand by it. Baker is a Twin with a 3 year total contact including incentives and options (and I do not know how many incentives and/or options). We will find out the details soon.

USAFChief
11-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Glad to know you're OK. Best wishes with the mess.

Fire Dan Gladden
11-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Still trying to find out the details (while trying to figure out the hurricane issue here and the stuff that comes with it, too)
But it looks like this:
3 year deal with option(s) and incentives. Not certain about the total value (heard a couple of things). Will be announced after the World Series is done.

So that is that. And you will hear the details from the access folks soon (Giants' helping)
If my electric holds Sandy, I might add more.

Just wanted you all to know.

(and I do not mind this move)

I think it's time to call this busted. Thrylos claimed the deal was done, which it obviously is not. The claim was not that they are close, or have generals worked out.

I would like to see Baker back, and a 1 year deal with options makes perfect sense.

Glad to hear Thrylos made it through the storm.

Thrylos
11-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Glad to know you're OK. Best wishes with the mess.

Thanks. Messes will go away soon. At least we did not lose any people around here. Just trees and first world taken-for-granded things. Those things will come back...

Thrylos
11-01-2012, 08:30 PM
I think it's time to call this busted. Thrylos claimed the deal was done, which it obviously is not. The claim was not that they are close, or have generals worked out.

I would like to see Baker back, and a 1 year deal with options makes perfect sense.

Thanks.
As far as the deal goes, I still stand by it. It is done. I would suggest to wait until Baker "signs elsewhere" to call this busted....

Teams take time to announce things (esp. the Twins.) I will give you a recent example from about a year ago: I found out that the Twins agreed with Willingham about a week before it was "made official" last off-season. I tweeted that. Same source with this, btw... Lots of deniers then (because they all loved their "Cuddy"), lots of deniers now. We shall see.

Fire Dan Gladden
11-01-2012, 08:34 PM

Thanks.
As far as the deal goes, I still stand by it. It is done. I would suggest to wait until Baker "signs elsewhere" to call this busted....

Stand away, it's still busted. The deal may be close, it may be exactly as you said, but it is not done. His name is not on the dotted line, which is what you said.

Nick Nelson
11-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Teams take time to announce things (esp. the Twins.) I will give you a recent example from about a year ago: I found out that the Twins agreed with Willingham about a week before it was "made official" last off-season. I tweeted that. Same source with this, btw... Lots of deniers then (because they all loved their "Cuddy"), lots of deniers now. We shall see.
Honest question: What incentive would Baker have to tell reporters that the two sides are "far away" and that he's open to other teams if he'd already signed a contract? I understand that teams have a process for making these things public but that's pretty far-fetched.

Thrylos
11-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Nick
Not sure about the timing of Baker's quote. When was it reported? And Baker might not have incentives to make such statement but the ones who sign him may like it to make it seem that it was tough.. Not sure what is the story there...

glunn
11-01-2012, 11:36 PM

Thanks for the concern :)

I am alright (as John B said). Not much more than a phone these days (charged by my car charger) to connect to the 'net. Lehigh Valley kinda mess these days and have been working with folks and chainsaws to clear roads and stuff. Not too much water like NJ and NY and DE, but lots of trees and power lines down and the such and lots of folks who need help. So that's why I have not responded at this. Now I got a WiFi connection nearby, so here we go.

I still stand by the original post. Did not find more details (hey, got other priorities right now, sorry) but I do stand by it. Baker is a Twin with a 3 year total contact including incentives and options (and I do not know how many incentives and/or options). We will find out the details soon.

I am glad that you are OK and hoping that you are correct about Baker.

SweetOne69
11-02-2012, 07:58 AM
Nick
Not sure about the timing of Baker's quote. When was it reported? And Baker might not have incentives to make such statement but the ones who sign him may like it to make it seem that it was tough.. Not sure what is the story there...

Baker's quote was reported after it was announced that they declined his option.

Twins Twerp
11-02-2012, 08:16 AM
My sources are telling me that Josh Hamilton is close to a 6 year contract worth 140 million dollars. Right now, Hamilton is also considering a contract from the Royals, Padres, and Pirates. I am told he is leaning Twins because Minneapolis has the least amount of strip joints and downtown is kind of...eah? (not that great). Baker on the other hand, has not been signed. My sources have said they have no idea how the situation is going and told me there is no indication of any talks going on.

SpiritofVodkaDave
11-02-2012, 08:46 AM

Thanks.

No, your report is "busted" the minute Baker doesn't sign a 3 year contract. 95% of the people here think, have thought he would resign with the Twins.

Glad to hear you are doing ok, somehow we only got some flooding here in our neighborhood in Brooklyn, we have a lot of friends however who weren't so lucky, a lot of their families lost entire houses and lower Manhattan is an eerie ghost town these days. (and starting to smell)

Brock Beauchamp
11-02-2012, 10:25 AM
and lower Manhattan is an eerie ghost town these days. (and starting to smell)

How is that any different from a typical day in lower Manhattan?

kab21
11-02-2012, 08:06 PM
No, your report is "busted" the minute Baker doesn't sign a 3 year contract. 95% of the people here think, have thought he would resign with the Twins.

His report is already busted. Teams don't wait more than a week to announce a done deal. i think it will still happen but if it was truly agreed on then it would have been announced. I highly doubt that they are waiting because they don't want to upstage Hurricane Sandy or the election.

PseudoSABR
11-02-2012, 08:17 PM
It's possible that thyros' source overstated how done the deal actually was. Even a source gets some pleasure about being right about something before anyone else, even before there's something to actually be right about.

Fire Dan Gladden
11-02-2012, 08:29 PM
It's possible that thyros' source overstated how done the deal actually was. Even a source gets some pleasure about being right about something before anyone else, even before there's something to actually be right about.

Then the quote should have been:

Sources are telling me that Baker has a 3 year deal with the Twins but it is not quite finalized. Expect an announcement within a few days.

PseudoSABR
11-02-2012, 08:31 PM

Then the quote should have been:

Sources are telling me that Baker has a 3 year deal with the Twins but it is not quite finalized. Expect an announcement within a few days.Oh I agree. I was being somewhat sarcastic.

fittdogg
11-13-2012, 11:27 AM
I thought this was a done deal?

John Bonnes
11-13-2012, 11:36 AM
If people think they have inside information about a pending move, I have no problem with them posting it in the bulletin board, PROVIDED THEY PUT THEIR NAME ON IT. That's part of what a bulletin board is.

Now we know that Thrylos' sources cannot always be trusted (or that Thrylos is apt to jump the gun.) That's valuable information.

I don't see a reason to pile on about this much beyond that. The last thing I think any of us want is for people to not share information which they have some confidence in because of some holy retribution.

Fire Dan Gladden
11-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Bonnes, you may want to close the comments if you are looking to protect Thrylos on this one.

Thrylos said it was done. Period. No comments about "close to signing" or other caveats with an out clause. Any piling on needs to be done because how it was reported, not that it was reported.

ThePuck
11-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Bonnes, you may want to close the comments if you are looking to protect Thrylos on this one.

Thrylos said it was done. Period. No comments about "close to signing" or other caveats with an out clause. Any piling on needs to be done because how it was reported, not that it was reported.

Who cares...people make mistakes. He thought it was a done deal and he posted. He was wrong. Oh well. I, for one, am glad he was.

gunnarthor
11-13-2012, 12:09 PM

Who cares...people make mistakes. He thought it was a done deal and he posted. He was wrong. Oh well.

Has he ever been right?

ThePuck
11-13-2012, 12:10 PM

Who cares...people make mistakes. He thought it was a done deal and he posted. He was wrong. Oh well.

Has he ever been right?

No idea, but I doubt there's a person on here who hasn't put info out there that ended up wrong...

Jeff P
11-13-2012, 12:34 PM
If people think they have inside information about a pending move, I have no problem with them posting it in the bulletin board, PROVIDED THEY PUT THEIR NAME ON IT. That's part of what a bulletin board is.

Now we know that Thrylos' sources cannot always be trusted (or that Thrylos is apt to jump the gun.) That's valuable information.

I don't see a reason to pile on about this much beyond that. The last thing I think any of us want is for people to not share information which they have some confidence in because of some holy retribution.

I agree, I don't see the benefit of piling on when someone turns out to be wrong.

Jeff

SpiritofVodkaDave
11-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Occam's Razor: Thrylos doesn't have a "source" and was talking out of his ass.

Honest question: Does he contribute anything to this forum? All of his posts seem to be one of two things:
1.Making up things to bash the front office/Gardy/etc
2.Making up things to claim he is some sort of important beat writer/rumor monger for the Twins.

Seriously, pathological lying on the internet is nothing new, I just would expect a site like this to be above it.

twinsnorth49
11-13-2012, 01:26 PM

I agree, I don't see the benefit of piling on when someone turns out to be wrong.

Jeff

Except if it's Thrylos, that's the benefit.

Twins Fan From Afar
11-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Well, I'll defend thrylos since he's not around to do it himself, and since I think that this piling on is a little ridiculous.

Yes, many of his comments involve his dislike of Gardy and Andy, and he clearly has some animus toward the front office. Yes, he probably comments too much on that. To me, that's not much different than some posters here that tie every Twins move (or non-move) back to things like the Mauer contract, or the Pohlads' perceived thriftiness, or the perceived "pitch-to-contact" mantra that no longer works, or the JJ Hardy trade that we got nothing in return for, or the "promote-from-within culture" that arguably hasn't gotten this team very far into the playoffs. I personally am guilty of doing this, too. I think we're all entitled to our sticking points, with the caveat that others probably tire of reading them. Thrylos probably does it more than some others do. And just like anything else on the internet, I guess we're all free to read, or not read, what he writes, and we're all free to comment, or not comment, on what he writes.

I actually enjoy reading thrylos' blog during the season. He has a good knowledge base about prospect stuff. And I will maintain that he does add positive things to this site.

So he was really, really wrong on this. Big deal. And I suppose he deserved a little heat for declaring this a done deal when it clearly wasn't, and for being so wrong on it in the end. But maybe we can move on now to other baseball stuff. Rather than discussing thrylos, I think I'll return to the forum discussing Baker and read some comments from other people on how the heck we're going to add 4 pitchers to create a legitimate rotation.

TwinVike61
11-13-2012, 02:12 PM
I too enjoy Thyloss' insight and perspective and am glad he contributes to Twins Daily. But I will definately wait on investing in a "Baker jersey" the next time he proclaims a done-deal signing.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
11-13-2012, 02:16 PM
That's the risk you take when you post something like this. He doesn't necessarily have to read the posts ripping him either, but he certainly has lost our trust if there was any to begin with. Personally, I think he has a great grip on new world statistics and prospects in the system.

kirbyelway
11-13-2012, 02:25 PM
The Twins have signed Zack Grienke to a 3 year deal.....DONE DEAL....shhhhhh, its a secret.

scottz
11-13-2012, 02:50 PM
I have a source that says faceless people on internet forums are petty and juvenile.

Scott Zilka

Twins Twerp
11-13-2012, 02:52 PM
This is why the internet has ruined journalism. Yes without the internet we would not have this site, but come on. A "done deal," period." That is so laughable. I wish I had a picture with Thyroid wetting the bed while also screwing the pooch. This mess up is so bad that one cliche was not good enough. The best part is that we all called him out the day he said this...and he cited himself as the source. GENIOUS. This guy must do stand up.

In an unrelated matter, my sources, whom I cannot name due to the deal not being made public, that Thyloss is full it. It being poop. Lets not defend the guy and please, I know it is site policy not to personally attack a guy, but we NEED to make an exception for his one. In fact we need to put on the site rules:

12. If someone posts something so idiotic and looks like a jackass, then thou must callith him out to the highest degree...amen.

twinsnorth49
11-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Time out!!

Mindless bickering.

TwinVike61
11-13-2012, 03:06 PM
... he certainly has lost our trust if there was any to begin with.

To quote George W. (and The Who) "Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice...we won't be fooled again."

Ultima Ratio
11-13-2012, 03:27 PM

Honest question: Does he contribute anything to this forum? All of his posts seem to be one of two things:
2.Making up things to claim he is some sort of important beat writer/rumor monger for the Twins.

Seriously, pathological lying on the internet is nothing new, I just would expect a site like this to be above it.

You forgot a third and favorite attention grubbing topic: the rampant racism in the Twins organization. (The Delmon Young 'property' thread most recently).

Sorry, I can't take Thrylos seriously because it's so hard to see truth having to look over a glacier-sized rock of salt.

birdwatcher
11-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Hey, don't scare thrylos off! He's an absolute hoot!

Boom Boom
11-13-2012, 04:07 PM
I don't mind going out on a limb... being wrong isn't a crime. However, if and when thrylos98 comes back with another scoop story, he'll have to expect that he won't be taken seriously.

I think some are mistaking "piling on" for "good natured ribbing".

nicksaviking
11-13-2012, 04:11 PM
Everyone was ripping this post right off the bat because no one believed he had a source. Now everyone's come back to this stupid thread to say I told you so, like they have the need to validate the fact that they didn't buy into the idea in the first place? Grow up, it should have gone without saying that a sane person didn't believe this rumor, piling on makes you guys look immature.

twinsnorth49
11-13-2012, 05:08 PM
I think some are mistaking "piling on" for "good natured ribbing".

+1, some people around here need to stop taking everything so seriously.

Top Gun
11-13-2012, 05:25 PM
A all out lie is serious, and it ruins the creditability of this site.

darin617
11-13-2012, 05:49 PM
So when is Thrylos gonna come clean and tell everyone he was just guessing. Dude has got to say something to try and save a little face on this deal...

darin617
11-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Just waiting patiently to hear what happened with that 3 YR deal.

Anyone else have any scoops about the Twins FA signings they would like to share with everyone?

Mine is somewhat realistic, Twins sign Joe Blanton to a 2 YR $13M deal with a club option for a 3rd year. This would not be the top pitcher added by the Twins this off season.

powrwrap
11-13-2012, 06:03 PM
It's pretty easy to make a prediction like he did and then if it comes true you look like a genius. When it doesn't come true you hope no one remembers.

Thrylos has the third most posts to Twins Daily. He has opinions on just about everything. Sometimes I think he posts stuff just to pass the time. I'd say if people want to take him to the woodshed on this matter they are justified.

70charger
11-13-2012, 06:05 PM
You literally just posted in the other thread. How is this one necessary?

Don't be a dick, dude.

snepp
11-13-2012, 06:27 PM
I think in this case the reaping of what was sowed is justified.

raindog
11-13-2012, 06:47 PM

Agreed. This is a joke of a thread. Honestly, stuff like that this should be a ban-able offense.

PseudoSABR
11-13-2012, 07:14 PM
I think in this case the reaping of what was sowed is justified.
Agreed. Thyros was given ample opportunity to walk his claims back; he responded with cheeky arrogance.

Brock Beauchamp
11-13-2012, 07:27 PM
Okay, I think we've all had a chance to pile on Thrylos by now. Point taken.