PDA

View Full Version : Terry Ryan Interview - Submit Your Questions

John Bonnes
10-17-2012, 11:30 AM
For our Offseason Handbook, I'm conducting an interview with Terry Ryan on Friday, right after he gets back from the organizational meetings. I'm gathering a list of topics and questions to prepare. If you have something you would like to know, submit it below. I can't guaranteed I'll ask it, or any of them, but it'll be on my radar as we talk through things.

Jim Crikket
10-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Since the organizatinal meetings are going on right now, one question on my mind this week is exactly what goes on during those meetings? We get the general "we discuss all the players in the system" response, but if he would be willing to provide a bit more detail than that, I'd find that interesting.

Boom Boom
10-17-2012, 12:05 PM
I'm sure you're going to ask him questions about acquiring starting pitching, so I'd like to hear how he feels about the Twins middle infield situation going in to 2013.

greengoblinrulz
10-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Innings in 2013 for kgibson and possibly scot baket & how theyll differ as well as how theyll come to those innings. Liriano was allowed 200 innings in 08

sorney
10-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Does he agree with the perception that the Twins hold onto prospects too long and they either become *suspects* or completely stall out in the minors entirely?

jharaldson
10-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Why does it appear that the coaching staff vacancies have been filled with just internal candidates? Do you see any value in new perspectives in the coaching staff?

Fatt Crapps
10-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Why are the Twins racist?

SpiritofVodkaDave
10-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Why are the Twins racist?

slow clap

Craig in MN
10-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Will the big new TV contracts in 2014 change payroll approach for the Twins in 2013. How will they affect the Twins and MLB long term?

e.g. Will that allow them to keep payroll somewhat higher in 2013 than it would have been otherwise. Does it change their payroll = 50% of income rule? Will they try to sign guys to extensions before that money causes inflation in contracts in a couple years?

Twins Fan From Afar
10-17-2012, 01:27 PM
I'd like to get a better idea of Ryan's mindset regarding starting pitching in 2013 and beyond, because everything he has said publicly thus far has been essentially generalizations (as is expected). So here's my question:

The Twins will spend approximately $27 million on player payroll at the catching position next season and $14 milion at first base. The position players, Mauer and Morneau, are expected to be among the best in baseball. Why has there been a reluctance by the Twins to field similar caliber talent when it comes to starting pitching, even if it means that you have to pay on the open market for such talent? Certainly it cannot be simply because the pitchers are not homegrown, or are more injury-prone than our own star players.

Given the difficulty of developing top-level pitching talent, isn't paying market value for reliable starting pitching (meaning pitchers that are superior in talent to "league average" pitchers such as Carl Pavano and "innings-eaters" like Jason Marquis) just the way that it has to be done sometimes in order to field a team that can at least win half its games?

108 Double Stitches
10-17-2012, 01:33 PM
I think it would be interesting if you can work in some questions if he has plans or preferences
regarding the expected logjam in the OF if the Twins best prospects start showing they are ML ready
while we still have the current group.

For instance: is the Muaer / AJ pattern to trade starters before the next player is ready preferable?
Or would he prefer to hold the current players until the new players are proven at the major league level?

old nurse
10-17-2012, 01:51 PM
You are the metrics geek, ask him about what metrics they use in their analysis of players. You will either be very happy, or others will finally be justified in their comments.In past years when making trades Ryan has found a good number of capable pitchers in other organizations. What does he look for that they other people are missing.

Willihammer
10-17-2012, 01:58 PM
How does he plan to fill out the rotation before Baker and Gibson are ready to go? What is the backup plan, if one or both of them isnt' ready in time, or suffers a setback?

edit: I'd also be curious to know whether he intends to be aggressive early this offseason, or take a wait and see what's left in January approach, to signing FAs

JB_Iowa
10-17-2012, 02:01 PM
I'm still a little puzzled by his comments about Joe Mauer and 3rd base seeming like a "perfect fit". Could you figure out a way to artfully ask him if they have initiated (or will initiate this winter) discussions with Mauer about a move to 3rd (recognizing that it would probably be part-time for now).

Winston Smith
10-17-2012, 02:14 PM
I'd like to know what qualifications Vavra has to be an infield coach?

beckmt
10-17-2012, 02:20 PM
I would like to know:
1. Does he have plans to bring in middle infield starters or competition for the current crop we have now.
2. Does he expect to be active in the FA market?
3. Does he think he can get enough starting pitching talent to make a fair assessment of Gardy and Rick Anderson at the end of next season?

108 Double Stitches
10-17-2012, 02:33 PM
I know all the immediate needs questions are going to dominate your in-box, but I think it would be
interestng to query Ryan on how he uses the bottom of the 40 man roster while the Twins have such high
waiver picks (again).

How much or how little an advantage (in his opinion) is it to have high waiver priority for 40 man rosters
moves (like Rule V and in-season waiver claims, not so much the draft which is more self evident)?

Was Mr. Ryan prepared or surprised by how high the waiver claim priority the Twins had for the 2nd entire
season? Did he feel he fully exploited the opportunities that came up?

Do any advantages from high waiver priorities decline as you have them for longer period of times, (like 2 straight
years)?

Brock Beauchamp
10-17-2012, 02:37 PM

I believe he was an infielder in the minors.

Badsmerf
10-17-2012, 02:45 PM
How has the game changed since he started as the GM? How has it changed in the last 10 years to where we are at now?
*JR will love this question

Parker Hageman
10-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Why joe mauer doesn't heet mor homruns?@?!

nicksaviking
10-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Why exactly isn't Paul Molitor a fit for the coaching staff? He was shot down as a candidate about two seconds after he said he was interested.

ThePuck
10-17-2012, 03:01 PM

Yup, a utility IF...just the guy you want instructing our guys...since those are the kind of IFs we have and those seem to be the kind the team covets. Wouldn't want to decide who is best at each position and then PLAY them there as much as possible. Gardy has to move them all around to try and make himself look like a genius. It does the opposite. Gardy even said, before Hardy was traded, that even if Hardy was still on the team, Casilla would compete for the starting job at shortstop with him AND others..

Teflon
10-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Q: Why do the Twins insist on playing Ben Revere in the outfield position that takes the least advantage of his elite range and puts the most emphasis on his weak arm?

notoriousgod71
10-17-2012, 03:12 PM
I'd be happy to get any non-generic answers out of JR.

Bark's Lounge
10-17-2012, 04:03 PM
Question: Mr. Ryan, let's go back to 1987. That was a great year for all of us because the motion picture "Three Men and a Baby" hit the theaters. If you were a woman, which of the 3 stars appearing in that film would you like to have a romantic tryst with - Ted Danson, Tom Selleck, or Steve Guttenberg? I know it's a difficult question because all three of them are super appealing in different ways. What else happened in 1987? I feel like I am missing something.

PseudoSABR
10-17-2012, 04:14 PM
I'd like to ask you about accountability. Many of us worry that the recent dismissals and reshuffling of the front office and major league staff represent a form of (and pardon the phrase) scapegoating. Perhaps you can ease our worries by walking us through the thinking of the front office; what were the coaching problems that can be remedied as a result of the moves, how can we improve in that area? How has the front office changed in the past year with you back at the healm, how does it differ from your first tenure with the team? Lastly, in what ways are the Twins medical and training staffs improving?

ThePuck
10-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Two words: Anthony Slama

Musk21
10-17-2012, 04:42 PM

Three words: Anthony Slama Petition

Why has there been zero response?

Brock Beauchamp
10-17-2012, 04:52 PM
I'd like to ask you about accountability. Many of us worry that the recent dismissals and reshuffling of the front office and major league staff represent a form of (and pardon the phrase) scapegoating. Perhaps you can easy our worries by walking us through the thinking of the front office; what were the coaching problems that can be remedied as a result of the moves, how can we improve in that area? How has the front office changed in the past year with you back at the healm, how does it differ from your first tenure with the team? Lastly, in what ways are the Twins medical and training staffs improving?

Excellent question. This gets my vote.

killer520
10-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Any chance the opening day line up includes Mauer @ 3rd and Plouffe @ 2nd?

Thrylos
10-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Ask him whether he holds himself accountable after a 96 loss season. Or, in other words, does he think that leading the team to 96 losses last season was successful enough to warrant removing the "interim" tag?

TheLeviathan
10-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Second Psuedo's question - it's absolutely excellent.

East Coast Twin
10-17-2012, 07:43 PM
1. Was the drafting of "power" arms in 2012 the beginning of a change in team philosophy?

2. What caused the failure of the "Tsuyoshi Nishioka experiment"?

Nick Nelson
10-17-2012, 09:37 PM
Ask him whether he holds himself accountable after a 96 loss season. Or, in other words, does he think that leading the team to 96 losses last season was successful enough to warrant removing the "interim" tag?

Yep, his acquisitions of players like Willingham, Doumit, Carroll and Burton certainly led this team right down the tubes. He should not only fire himself but commit seppuku on the mound at Target Field.

Do you ever get bored of posting some variation of the same "fire everyone" comment on every thread?

Jeremy Nygaard
10-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Will all four of Butera's arbitration years be bought out with a long-term deal? Or just a couple?

clutterheart
10-17-2012, 11:50 PM
I am interested in Ryan's thoughts on his legacy. Maybe something like:

"You left the team on a high note and were regarded as one of the best GMs in the league. Now you are back at the same job but expectations are higher, and the cupboard is not exactly overflowing.
In this new situation, how do you hope you are remembered by the fanbase when you decide to step down in the future?"

ThePuck
10-17-2012, 11:52 PM

Yep, his acquisitions of players like Willingham, Doumit, Carroll and Burton certainly led this team right down the tubes. He should not only fire himself but commit seppuku on the mound at Target Field.

Do you ever get bored of posting some variation of the same "fire everyone" comment on every thread?

Here's the thing. Willingham and Doumit were brought in to replace the departing Cuddyer and Doumit. They weren't adding Willingham and Doumit and keeping Cuddy and Kubel. They were looking for a cheaper alternative to Cuddy and Kubel.and hoping it worked it. It did, which is nice, but they were replacing often productive players, not adding on to our list of productive players to improve the team. They didn't take the money saved and go get pitching, for example. Now, I was all for signing Willingham and Doumit. In fact, before last season's postseason was done, there were quite a few of us over on another site saying those two players were the exact two we needed to get. It was a pretty obvious move that needed to be made. But it was what it was.

Truth is, the pitching has been a problem for awhile, specifically starting pitching. THAT needed to be addressed, and it wasn't. And really, we all need to remember, Ryan wasn't exactly gone when Smith was GM. He was Smith's special assistant. He's also a big reason why our starting pitching staff is where it is today. Many of those guys are his guys.

So maybe his question isn't such a bad one...even if it is a common type post from him.

clutterheart
10-17-2012, 11:52 PM

YES. With direct, follow up questionss to get a real answer out him.

johnnydakota
10-18-2012, 12:16 AM
does he still think boof bonser was the key player in the a.j. trade? and 2 what kind of photos does he have of jimmy pohlad that allows him to keep his job?

johnnydakota
10-18-2012, 12:20 AM
does curly ryan still think boof bonser was the key player in the a.j. trade? and what kind of photos does he have to blackmail jimmy pohlad with to keep his job?

johnnydakota
10-18-2012, 12:22 AM
Why exactly isn't Paul Molitor a fit for the coaching staff? He was shot down as a candidate about two seconds after he said he was interested.

because if paul is with the team he might get near jim pohlad and wispher in his ear......curly ryan and larry gardenhire dont know what there doing

old nurse
10-18-2012, 12:57 AM

Obviously not

old nurse
10-18-2012, 01:03 AM
Please consider that you are different from a mainstream sports writer and ask questions from your point of view . Terry Ryan has appeared many places. Please use what makes you different from the mainstream and ask questions from that view. It would be a unique opportunity to shed a light on the Twins from a different perspective.

SpantheMan
10-18-2012, 01:13 AM
What are the chances that Gardy and Anderson will be back for the 2014 season?

East Coast Twin
10-18-2012, 06:07 AM
Ask him how often he visits twinsdaily.com. Does he visit other sites? What's his perception of sites such as twinsdaily.com?

birdwatcher
10-18-2012, 07:11 AM
Ryan has indicated a dissappointment with the organization's Dominican player pipeline. What's being done to improve the results?

lightfoot789
10-18-2012, 07:15 AM
I thought the Twins had an excellent draft and went away from their usual philosophy in 2012. Who are the players other than Buxton and Berrios in this years draft that you are excited about and which have a chance to become special players down the line (someday)? Patience is a virtue and this 2012 draft class seems to have produced well at thier respective MILB levels. Who surprisingly stood out at instructionals as well?

Brock Beauchamp
10-18-2012, 07:28 AM
I thought the Twins had an excellent draft and went away from their usual philosophy in 2012. Who are the players other than Buxton and Berrios in this years draft that you are excited about and which have a chance to become special players down the line (someday)? Patience is a virtue and this 2012 draft class seems to have produced well at thier respective MILB levels. Who surprisingly stood out at instructionals as well?

I like the idea of the question a lot but I can already see the response... "There are a lot of kids we like in the draft and time will tell blah blah blah". Ryan isn't going to tip his hand in next year's draft.

On the other hand, if you make the question more about last year's draft and the implied philosophy change that went behind it, I think it would provide a more substantive answer.

NoCryingInBaseball
10-18-2012, 07:52 AM
I realize that Ryan relies on his generalize and cover-all-the bases type of response to all questions, like “there are a lot of starters we need to look at” or “we need to make sure we put the right people in the right place”, but I too would be interested in more specifics.

The biggest question I have is about multi-year contracts for a starting pitcher. Given the reluctance to for a three of four-year contract in the past, does anything change with the Morneau contract going off the books in 2014? Regardless of whether Morneau is traded during the off-season or during the season, there seems little reason to resign him for 2014, which leaves $14 million available that could be part of a SP multi-year deal.

TRex
10-18-2012, 08:09 AM
First off, I would like to thank Mr. Ryan for his generosity... both to the organization as a whole and to me personally. Once he allowed my family to trade seats with him at a pre-season game so that my 3-month old twin daughters could be in the sun rather than the shade on a very brisk 40º day. I am sure he cannot remember all the fans he has met, but he may remember this incident because it was the first game at Coor's Field in Denver in 1996... the day Kirby woke up blind in his right eye.

My question is a little more off topic but...

In light of the recent stories about Lance Armstrong getting away with doping for years in the sport with the most stringent rules and testing, what are Mr. Ryan's thoughts on PED usage and testing in baseball? Does he think that there will be 'Lance Armstrong's' in his sport that continue to taint MVP and Cy Young awards, as well as Division and World Series titles? If so, what does he think about potentially removing these achievements from individuals/teams that are caught breaking the rules?

Perhaps a more generic way to ask, that might get a more meaningful answer is to get him to compare his thoughts on these types of 'cheating':

A) Chicanery: Pitchers doctoring a baseball. Hitters corking a bat. Catchers framing pitches. Hrbek (TRex) pulling Gant's leg off first!
B) Mental acuity: Greenies, speed, caffeine, nicotine, ammonia, weight loss aids
C) Muscle repair/enhancement: Testosterone derivatives, HGH, HCG

nicksaviking
10-18-2012, 08:10 AM

I like the idea of the question a lot but I can already see the response... "There are a lot of kids we like in the draft and time will tell blah blah blah". Ryan isn't going to tip his hand in next year's draft.

On the other hand, if you make the question more about last year's draft and the implied philosophy change that went behind it, I think it would provide a more substantive answer.

Agreed, I'm only on board with Ryan staying because of this percieved change in philosophy on pitching.

I'd also like to know which of the 2012 pitching class will get a chance to start in 2013.

Boom Boom
10-18-2012, 08:15 AM

I don't recall thrylos98 ever calling for Rick Stelmaszek to be fired.

It's really a valid question, I think. After a 96-loss season, Ryan gave himself a promotion. If Gardy says "I don't deserve a contract extension" then I think Ryan should at least be accountable enough to keep the interim tag (symbolic as it may be).

Brock Beauchamp
10-18-2012, 08:41 AM
It's really a valid question, I think. After a 96-loss season, Ryan gave himself a promotion. If Gardy says "I don't deserve a contract extension" then I think Ryan should at least be accountable enough to keep the interim tag (symbolic as it may be).

On the other hand, being a lame duck boss makes it hard to instill confidence in the lower ranks. Removing the interim tag could be viewed as symbolic as well. As I've said all along, JR deserves more than 11 months to get this franchise back on track. If he fails to have a clear path forward a year from now, then it's time to think about moving in another direction. So far, he's done a pretty good job with the franchise. The last draft went off like gangbusters, most of the free agent acquisitions were either good or decent, and now he has his first full offseason to really lay out a plan.

mike wants wins
10-18-2012, 08:52 AM
You claim that you have never been denied money to add to the payroll. The Whte Sox GM says you would have won at least two WS earlier this century if you had added a player or two. Is it true that you decided to reduce payroll last year, and not the owner? Why did you not add a legit DH when this team was one hitter away earlier this century?

On a different topic.....if you do not acquire at least two proven starting pitchers, why should anyone pay their hard earned cash to go to a ballgame?

Boom Boom
10-18-2012, 08:57 AM

On the other hand, being a lame duck boss makes it hard to instill confidence in the lower ranks. Removing the interim tag could be viewed as symbolic as well. As I've said all along, JR deserves more than 11 months to get this franchise back on track. If he fails to have a clear path forward a year from now, then it's time to think about moving in another direction. So far, he's done a pretty good job with the franchise. The last draft went off like gangbusters, most of the free agent acquisitions were either good or decent, and now he has his first full offseason to really lay out a plan.

I agree with you on this - but can't it also be said that Gardy is a lame duck boss?

Brock Beauchamp
10-18-2012, 09:02 AM

I agree with you on this - but can't it also be said that Gardy is a lame duck boss?

Not really... He simply hasn't been extended. He has a full season left on his contract and he was allowed to keep his buddy as pitching coach. He obviously still has some sway in the organization and it appears that JR is going to try to get him some pitching so he can succeed in 2013.

If it's July 1st, the Twins are 15 games back, and a fire sale is starting to commence, then he's a lame duck boss for the rest of the season.

SpiritofVodkaDave
10-18-2012, 09:08 AM
My question:

I understand the organization likes Drew Butera, but what are the odds you shell out the 1 mil to keep him around next year? (Super 2 status) wouldn't it be better to simply cut him loose and then try to bring him back on a minor league contract. Also would it be too early to groom him into a coach for the org?

Brock Beauchamp
10-18-2012, 09:10 AM
My question:

I understand the organization likes Drew Butera, but what are the odds you shell out the 1 mil to keep him around next year? (Super 2 status) wouldn't it be better to simply cut him loose and then try to bring him back on a minor league contract. Also would it be too early to groom him into a coach for the org?

My version:

Drew Butera. What the ****. Seriously. WHY?!?!?!?!

scottz
10-18-2012, 09:52 AM
1) Scott Diamond had a solid year and was the best pitcher on the major league staff in 2012. Does the front office think he can be more than "solid"? That is, can he be significantly better than he was this year?

2a) Who is the highest ranking member of the front office who is fluent in Spanish or any language other than English? (Note from scottz: I have no idea of the answer to this...if anyone on TD knows, please feel free to reply.) 2b) Would the team be better served by having more language-speaking abilities in the front office, given baseball's global-reach?

3a) Is there a specific full-time role for stats-based player evaluation within the front office? Who handles that role? (Note from scottz: Again, if anyone here knows, feel free to reply.) 3b) Would the team be better served by having a full-time stats-based evaluator?

SweetOne69
10-18-2012, 10:20 AM
My question:

While I hope that Butera is non-tendered and that Hermann takes over his role on the bench, even if he is kept he will make no where near $1M next year (or ever in his career). Even though he is arbitration eligible, he will still make close to league minimum next year. MLBtraderumors estimates his Arb salary @ $500k.

Boom Boom
10-18-2012, 10:55 AM
OK, here's one that just came up - Dave St. Peter says the Twins will not be planting trees again beyond the center field wall. John, can you ask TR if the Twins have any plans to make the batter's eye not so disgustingly ugly?

johnnydakota
10-18-2012, 01:14 PM

i dont mind posting over and over again that the 3 stooges need to go....time for real baseball people ...
so untill we see change i will continue to ask for it, thankyou have a nice day =)

Brock Beauchamp
10-18-2012, 02:20 PM
i dont mind posting over and over again that the 3 stooges need to go....time for real baseball people ...
so untill we see change i will continue to ask for it, thankyou have a nice day =)

Did it ever occur to you that the rest of us get tired of hearing the same line over and over? We get it. You don't like the front office and management. Now move on or bring something new to the discussion.

Jim Crikket
10-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Yeah but making up derogatory names for people and using them constantly to impress everyone with how clever you are never gets old.

Brock Beauchamp
10-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Yeah but making up derogatory names for people and using them constantly to impress everyone with how clever you are never gets old.

I dub thee "turnip face".

Get used to it.

johnnydakota
10-18-2012, 02:36 PM
will the twins look at 18 year old janpaneese pitcher shoheo otani? there is no posting fee to sign him , he is a 6*4 18 year old , who throws 99-100mph, wouldnt he be a good 1-2 combination with berros

Jim Crikket
10-18-2012, 02:37 PM

I dub thee "turnip face".

Get used to it.

Oh I've been called much worse. I can live with it. :)

johnnydakota
10-18-2012, 02:38 PM

Did it ever occur to you that the rest of us get tired of hearing the same line over and over? We get it. You don't like the front office and management. Now move on or bring something new to the discussion.
dont worry i will be banned again shortly hahaha independent site sureeeeee

Brock Beauchamp
10-18-2012, 03:55 PM
dont worry i will be banned again shortly hahaha independent site sureeeeee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfFsFUwC4lQ

Kobs
10-18-2012, 10:18 PM
"When the team acquired players such as Tony Batista, Ramon Ortiz, Adam Everett, and Craig Monroe, it was straightforward for most people familiar with the most basic modern statistics to predict that they were very unlikely to help the team win baseball games. What changes have been made to the front office to ensure personnel mistakes that could have been so easily avoided will not occur in the future?"

USAFChief
10-19-2012, 12:07 AM
"When the team acquired players such as Tony Batista, Ramon Ortiz, Adam Everett, and Craig Monroe, it was straightforward for most people familiar with the most basic modern statistics to predict that they were very unlikely to help the team win baseball games. What changes have been made to the front office to ensure personnel mistakes that could have been so easily avoided will not occur in the future?"

Actually, if I recall correctly, many proponents of "advanced metrics" were giddy over the Adam Everett acquisition.

ThePuck
10-19-2012, 12:13 AM
Actually, if I recall correctly, many proponents of "advanced metrics" were giddy over the Adam Everett acquisition.

The way I remember it, people were excited about his defense, since he had been quite an impressive defender up to that point.

lightfoot789
10-19-2012, 01:36 AM

I was actually talking about this years draft (2012). I see how it was misinterpreted though. I want to know about the 2012 Pitchers and Hitters that the Twins drafted last June. Who has raised eye brows other than Buxton and Berrios?

Kobs
10-19-2012, 05:14 PM

Yeah, everyone was ecstatic about that .599 OPS from a guy who played in Houston.

Even the clear minority that defended the signing because of defensive "statistics" will concede that his complete inability to hit was a given. The fact that he couldn't throw from short to first doesn't exactly take the Twins' front office off the hook.

ashburyjohn
10-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Who has raised eye brows other than Buxton and Berrios?

Every single reliever, the day he was drafted.

twinsnorth49
10-19-2012, 10:18 PM
What do you envision happening with Scott Baker? Under what circumstances do you see him staying with the Twins assuming this is something the club wants?

Riverbrian
10-20-2012, 09:31 AM
I'd like to ask Terry Ryan what he thinks of Thrylos?

Riverbrian
10-20-2012, 09:33 AM

Metrodome payroll changed to Target Field Payroll.

Twinsfan46
10-20-2012, 12:20 PM
I would like TR asked if he wants the Twins pitching to be a strength of the team and ask him what he thinks of Mike Rizzo's quote:" We used to have sinker, pitch-to-contact guys. That's who you get when you're not elite".It seems to me that the Twins are not elite and may not be all that interested in being elite. Resigning Pavano and getting some bargain basement pitchers similar to Marquis will signal that even more this offseason.

ThePuck
10-20-2012, 12:41 PM
I would like TR asked if he wants the Twins pitching to be a strength of the team and ask him what he thinks of Mike Rizzo's quote:" We used to have sinker, pitch-to-contact guys. That's who you get when you're not elite".It seems to me that the Twins are not elite and may not be all that interested in being elite. Resigning Pavano and getting some bargain basement pitchers similar to Marquis will signal that even more this offseason.

I believe it was Nantz, I'm not sure, but someone higher up in the organization a few months ago said he felt, without a doubt, the strength of our farm system was pitching...especially after the draft...but that they were quite a bit aways.

diehardtwinsfan
10-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Even though it won't be answered, I'm curious if he's going to go after the 2nd tier of free agents, like an Erik Bedard or someone like that...

Kobs
10-20-2012, 03:38 PM

This has nothing to do with payroll. The Twins had in house options superior to all of those players.

johnnydakota
10-20-2012, 05:29 PM
just luv them grammer police .....kewl video

johnnydakota
10-20-2012, 05:36 PM

Agreed, I'm only on board with Ryan staying because of this percieved change in philosophy on pitching.

I'd also like to know which of the 2012 pitching class will get a chance to start in 2013.
so we draft relievers who wernt good enough to start for there college teams and we try them as starters in the minors , and soon will wonder why they have arm problems?

Thrylos
10-20-2012, 06:36 PM
so we draft relievers who wernt good enough to start for there college teams and we try them as starters in the minors , and soon will wonder why they have arm problems?

Interesting thought and it might worth its own discussion (and y'all know how I feel about the Twins' brass). That said:

Several of the college relievers they drafted last draft have started before. The same with the 2011 draft. The old scout complaint that "a guy has only one pitch so he better be a reliever" should be mediated during player development (and the Twins practically never did that - that's part (like 20% - small) of the reason I am saying 'good riddance' to Rantz).

So: the margins and definitions of a reliever and a starter are vary hairy. Couple fun Twins names to throw into the mix: Rick Aguilera and Brian Duensing. And they both fought (and one is still fighting) to be starters. Eddie and LaTroy gave the ghost up early. But, yeah, in my book at least 5 of the kids they drafted as relievers the last 2 drafts can be starters.

Brock Beauchamp
10-20-2012, 07:06 PM

Interesting thought and it might worth its own discussion (and y'all know how I feel about the Twins' brass). That said:

Several of the college relievers they drafted last draft have started before. The same with the 2011 draft. The old scout complaint that "a guy has only one pitch so he better be a reliever" should be mediated during player development (and the Twins practically never did that - that's part (like 20% - small) of the reason I am saying 'good riddance' to Rantz).

So: the margins and definitions of a reliever and a starter are vary hairy. Couple fun Twins names to throw into the mix: Rick Aguilera and Brian Duensing. And they both fought (and one is still fighting) to be starters. Eddie and LaTroy gave the ghost up early. But, yeah, in my book at least 5 of the kids they drafted as relievers the last 2 drafts can be starters.

I wasn't crazy about the reliever-happy nature of last year's draft.

On the other hand, I think the front office deserves some time to play their hand. It's obvious that they're bringing a different brand of thinking to the table and I'm curious to see how it unfolds. Are we looking at a new Moneyball or have the Twins gone insane? Time will tell.

At the very least, the concept is intriguing.

Physics Guy
10-20-2012, 08:25 PM
I see several comments about Baker. I'm pretty sure that Baker's option hasn't been picked up yet. If I am wrong, please correct. My guess is that Ryan won't comment on him if the option hasn't been picked up (not likely, is it?) or he hasn't been signed to a new contract.

I would be curious to know what the plans are for Sano and Rosario next year. It seems they should move up to High A, but the Twins seem to move players up at a relatively conservative rate. Both players obviously have some defensive issues to work on.

Riverbrian
10-20-2012, 09:43 PM

This has nothing to do with payroll. The Twins had in house options superior to all of those players.

Maybe... But the Twins musta felt differently about the in house options at the time. And the 4 players you mention were attempts at bargain value during a time when the Twins were quite serious about bargain shopping.

PseudoSABR
10-21-2012, 12:20 AM

On the other hand, I think the front office deserves some time to play their hand. It's obvious that they're bringing a different brand of thinking to the table and I'm curious to see how it unfolds. Are we looking at a new Moneyball or have the Twins gone insane? Time will tell.

At the very least, the concept is intriguing.The Twins are looking for value. This is exactly the kind of risk we've been asking the Twins brass to take (and the same people criticize both risk-adverse and risk-heavy approaches it seems). It's not a bad idea to look for starters who turned into relievers because of injury or team circumstances, as such players would be undervalued for their starting ability. I'm not sure it will work out in the long run, but it's a moneyball* approach for sure.

*I define moneyball as valuing that which is undervalued.

minn55441
10-21-2012, 09:20 AM
So John, do we have to wait for the Handbook to find out which questions you actually asked? Or are you going to give us a teaser and at least provide us with the questions, if not his responses?

Brandon
10-21-2012, 10:20 AM

At the very least, the concept is intriguing.

Those relievers were drafted lower in the draft. yes they were top 10 picks but not 1 or 2. If Buxton and Barrios make the team then this is a successful draft regardless. If one of the relievers is able to make it as a starter, then that much more and if one of those relivers makes it as a reliever too then that is a great draft in a supposed weak draft class.

Brandon
10-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Also I would like for TR to give you a sample scouting report that you could post on the website so we can see how evaluating takes place and types of notes are taken and part of the evaluation process. We already know the numbers side of baseball, I would like to understand the scouting side better too.

Andrew Bryz-Gornia
10-21-2012, 03:50 PM
1) Scott Diamond had a solid year and was the best pitcher on the major league staff in 2012. Does the front office think he can be more than "solid"? That is, can he be significantly better than he was this year?

2a) Who is the highest ranking member of the front office who is fluent in Spanish or any language other than English? (Note from scottz: I have no idea of the answer to this...if anyone on TD knows, please feel free to reply.) 2b) Would the team be better served by having more language-speaking abilities in the front office, given baseball's global-reach?

3a) Is there a specific full-time role for stats-based player evaluation within the front office? Who handles that role? (Note from scottz: Again, if anyone here knows, feel free to reply.) 3b) Would the team be better served by having a full-time stats-based evaluator?

Sorry if someone has already covered this, but...

2b) I believe the Twins said that they would like to add a coach that speaks Spanish.

3a) Yes there is, his name is Jack Goin. His name is on the "front office" list of people on the Twins website.

Andrew Bryz-Gornia
10-21-2012, 03:56 PM
In response to some of the "What advanced statistics do you use?" questions... good luck with that. I interviewed Dave St. Peter back in February and I asked him that very question and he was not willing to share very much. He specifically cited Moneyball and that he felt it was a poor decision by Billy Beane to reveal his secrets.

johnnydakota
10-21-2012, 04:02 PM

Sorry if someone has already covered this, but...

2b) I believe the Twins said that they would like to add a coach that speaks Spanish.

3a) Yes there is, his name is Jack Goin. His name is on the "front office" list of people on the Twins website.
adding AAA pitching coach is a must , last year i thought the twins should have picked up a spanish speaking catcher to be frankies personal catcher and mentor ala pudge rodrequez

Andrew Bryz-Gornia
10-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Sorry, really should have condensed my thoughts....

My boss from the Twins (I'm an usher at Target Field, for those that didn't know) gave us our own Terry Ryan Q&A back in August. Here are the questions that he had already answered (so there's no need to ask these to him again). Just so you all know, I believe he was answering these questions via email, which is why the answers are so short.

Why is there no (affiliated) Minor League teams in Minnesota? Wisconsin has 2, Iowa has 5-6, Minnesota has 0. We have the communities to support one (Rochester, Mankato, St. Cloud, etc.) and have a league (Midwest and to a stretch PCL) to play in. It would be nice to not have to travel 6 hours to Beloit to see the closest affiliate. Thoughts?
The Twins don’ decide what city the affiliate is in. The clubs are usually privately owned. If somebody wanted to join the Midwest League, they could buy an existing franchise, possibly get league approval, & move the club.

With the limited payroll that the Twins have to work with on a year to year basis what are you doing to try and rebuild the minor league system with potential pitchers that can help us for the future? Is the international market a good way to build to help in the very near future, or can it strap cash that you can use for the draft and find a hidden gem?
We do not have a limited payroll. We are in the top 10 in the game. Draft & develop is the best way to get pitching. Trades, waiver claims, international acquisitions, Rule 5 selections all are avenues to pursue for pitching.

While Liriano was pitching so well, has the success been partially attributed to Butera being a personal catcher, and when the GM's inquired about acquiring Francisco, were they looking to deal for Butera as well?
We don’t believe in personal catchers. Liriano is doing fine with the CWS regardless of who might catch him.

You were hired this past offseason as interim GM but are still GM. Are you still looking for the right guy to replace you or do you wish to continue with this position for a few more years?
That decision will be made at the end of the year.

What is your most memorable moment working for the Twins?
Winning the 1987 World Series.

How do you find such quality players when you look to fill up the non-roster invitee roster? It seems like you always find god players, such as Jared Burton.
We rely on our scouts & minor league staff to make recommendations.

When sifting through players that go through waivers, possible non-roster invitees, etc., is there something in particular that you look for in a player? To use Burton as an example, since he was coming off of injury, why did you think that he would be a good candidate to fill out the bullpen? Did his past success with the Reds play into the decision, even though it was several years ago?
All of the above. We knew Burton’s history; all he had to do was get healthy. Our scouts, minor league & major league staffs all contribute to player acquisitions.

1) What do you consider the most sought out qualities of an individual that would be successful working in baseball.
Work ethic, common sense, accountability, drive, team oriented.
2) When mentioned, the ‘Twins way’ often has an un-definable or ever evolving quality, when considering it, what aspects of a ball player do you consider to uphold this term?
There is no Twins way.
It is the right way. A player has to play the game the right way. That is all we expect.
3) If you were to work in another area of baseball, within the Twins organization, what department most peaks your interest and why?
Minor leagues & scouting.

Why did you trade Liriano with three days left until the deadline? Doesn't it make sense to wait until teams get more desperate and the offers improve?
We did our homework. We knew the offers. We knew the competition & interest. We certainly didn’t want Francisco to get hurt.

Which advanced statistics do the Twins employ the most to complement their other more traditional scouting methods?
Most advanced stats are used but you have to make a decision on all forms of information. Scouting, age, makeup, stats, need, projection, contract information etc.

Many people focus on the starting pitching as a position of need, but one that I think that has been lacking for several years now is the bench. With the exceptions of Jim Thome (as he was originally signed to be a pinch-hitter and occasional DH) and Sean Burroughs (who didn't turn out as well as we hoped), the bench has usually been occupied by the likes of Matt Tolbert, Alexi Casilla, Drew Butera, and other light-hitting players. This has left Gardy with few pinch-hitting options late in games, meaning he often has to turn to someone like Casilla, who is a career .248 hitter.
Additionally, when a starter goes down with an injury, the Twins have often had to turn to the "replacement level" player to fill in the hole. For example, this is like Butera and Rene Tosoni last year when Kubel and Mauer were hurt. Yes, on the defensive side they are just fine, but their offense did not help out the team. However, a player I think could provide both offensive and defensive value is Eric Hinske, who has experience at both outfield and infield corners, and also has some power in his bat.
With that said, I finally get to my question. Am I correct in my assessment that (excluding Thome), the Twins look for players with defensive versatility.
Hinske is a nice bench player. He decided to stay with the Braves. We look for good baseball players. As you have seen this year, we’re carrying 13 pitchers so pitching is the name of the game.

What has been your most satisfying and least satisfying moment as the Twins GM?
Qualifying for the playoffs is most satisfying & injuries are the most frustrating.
What three aspects do feel you help bring to the organization?
Work ethic, accountability, loyalty.
What was your path to how you became a major league GM?
Player, scout, scouting director, assistant G.M., G.M.

What advice do you have for anyone trying to start a career in baseball?
Get your foot in the door & work your way up.

ThePuck
10-21-2012, 04:12 PM
They don't believe in personal catchers, except when they say Pavano pretty much has Butera as his catcher...

Thanks for posting these, that's awesome. I'm not sure he wasn't full of it in at least a few of his responses...like the personal catcher thing.

Another: 'As you have seen this year, we’re carrying 13 pitchers so pitching is the name of the game.'

Yet, he keeps ignoring starting pitching. We needed to carry 13 pitchers because of that (and Gardy's interesting use of the bullpen).

Kobs
10-21-2012, 04:31 PM

Maybe... But the Twins musta felt differently about the in house options at the time. And the 4 players you mention were attempts at bargain value during a time when the Twins were quite serious about bargain shopping.

You and I have a very different definition of the word "bargain."

Thegrin
10-21-2012, 04:53 PM
http://twinsdaily.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Winston Smith http://twinsdaily.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://twinsdaily.com/showthread.php?p=58575#post58575)

He never played in the major leagues (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball) this was due to two injuries, the first happened in his last triple A game when a runner was stealing and Vavra picked the throw from the catcher only to have the runners cleat shatter his thumb leaving him to have pins put in. = Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Vavra

Riverbrian
10-21-2012, 09:40 PM

Yeah we must... For me personally... It's a lotta money but I think I pay too much at Starbucks. For a MLB club... Those signings are like shopping at Woolworths.

However... Bargains or not... The definition isn't that important. I think payroll constraints from the dome days and the need for power led to rolling the dice on Monroe and flying to Japan to bring back Batista. Everett was released by Houston and could play a few positions. He was defense... He was never expected to hit.

Its more important to point out that Batista sucked in 2006 but the Twins won 96 games and the Central title. 3rd best record in baseball. The Tigers finished a game behind and won the ALCS that year. Starting in LF was a guy named Craig Monroe who hit 5 playoff home runs in 2006.

Everett and Monroe sucked in 2008 but the Twins won 88 games and tied for the Central top spot losing that one game playoff to the Sox.

The mistakes didn't hurt em that bad and personally I remain under the assumption that occasionally you sign crap with the best intention. Not just the Twins but every team.

I think asking for the assurance you want to throw at TR Is like asking for assurance that every restaurant you try knocks your socks off... Every tie for X mas is exactly your color and style. Demanding to walk through this life with no disappointments whatsoever. It doesn't happen to us... we aree not perfect so why would you expect that kind of perfection from others.

Congrats on a great 2006 season. AL title... 3rd best record in baseball but I'm sorry you have to hang for that Tony Batista signing. Any last words? Do you have any kin to contact?

SpiritofVodkaDave
10-21-2012, 11:25 PM

Yeah we must... For me personally... It's a lotta money but I think I pay too much at Starbucks. For a MLB club... Those signings are like shopping at Woolworths.

However... Bargains or not... The definition isn't that important. I think payroll constraints from the dome days and the need for power led to rolling the dice on Monroe and flying to Japan to bring back Batista. Everett was released by Houston and could play a few positions. He was defense... He was never expected to hit.

Its more important to point out that Batista sucked in 2006 but the Twins won 96 games and the Central title. 3rd best record in baseball. The Tigers finished a game behind and won the ALCS that year. Starting in LF was a guy named Craig Monroe who hit 5 playoff home runs in 2006.

Everett and Monroe sucked in 2008 but the Twins won 88 games and tied for the Central top spot losing that one game playoff to the Sox.

The mistakes didn't hurt em that bad and personally I remain under the assumption that occasionally you sign crap with the best intention. Not just the Twins but every team.

I think asking for the assurance you want to throw at TR Is like asking for assurance that every restaurant you try knocks your socks off... Every tie for X mas is exactly your color and style. Demanding to walk through this life with no disappointments whatsoever. It doesn't happen to us... we aree not perfect so why would you expect that kind of perfection from others.

Congrats on a great 2006 season. AL title... 3rd best record in baseball but I'm sorry you have to hang for that Tony Batista signing. Any last words? Do you have any kin to contact?

The Twins were good in 2006 because of guys like Santana, Liriano, Mauer, Morneau, Hunter, etc etc guys who had come up through the Twins system more or less (yes Liriano and Santana were pick ups/trades but still developed in the minors) that doesn't excuse the fact that they wasted money in free agency on crappy veterans everyone knew would fail.

Hell, I am as big of a Ryan apologist as they come and I think he did a pretty solid job last off-season, but even the Jason Marquis signing reeks of Batista/Ortiz/Hernandez, hopefully Marquis was the last of these type of signings.

freshinthehouse
10-22-2012, 01:36 AM
During player personnel meetings, is it OK for the scouts to take their shirts off?

lightfoot789
10-22-2012, 05:53 AM
Who are 2 or 3 of the best scouts in the Twins personnel system in terms of producing future MLB players? and
Why have they been successful at that thier jobs? and
Finally - Who are the (4) sleepers from this past draft and what makes them somewhat special?

Riverbrian
10-22-2012, 07:16 AM

The Twins were good in 2006 because of guys like Santana, Liriano, Mauer, Morneau, Hunter, etc etc guys who had come up through the Twins system more or less (yes Liriano and Santana were pick ups/trades but still developed in the minors) that doesn't excuse the fact that they wasted money in free agency on crappy veterans everyone knew would fail.

Hell, I am as big of a Ryan apologist as they come and I think he did a pretty solid job last off-season, but even the Jason Marquis signing reeks of Batista/Ortiz/Hernandez, hopefully Marquis was the last of these type of signings.

do I think TR is the greatest GM ever? No... I think he's a man doing a job!!! Do i think he has done better than most? Yes I Do!!!

Can anyone name a GM who hasn't signed a Marquis?

Vodkadave Et tu Brute "hopefully Marquis was the last of these type of signings"

I hope a few more mistakes come thru the door because not seeing them would mean he stopped trying!

Bojangles
10-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Why joe mauer doesn't heet mor homruns?@?!
i no rite? i hope JR gets aksed this...i want ansers!

twinsnorth49
10-22-2012, 09:07 PM
People! We don't need to quote the entire thread every time you respond....Sheesh!

Brock Beauchamp
10-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Just read through the interview. There is some really interesting stuff in there and John did a great job with the questions. I'm looking forward to hearing all of your impressions of it when the Handbook ships out tomorrow (for those of you that pre-ordered, that is).

Riverbrian
10-23-2012, 01:28 PM
People! We don't need to quote the entire thread every time you respond....Sheesh!

Need... Of course not... I don't need it... However I like the concentric squares piling up. They get smaller while get
larger at the same time. It's a beautiful thing!

TheLeviathan
10-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Just read through the interview. There is some really interesting stuff in there and John did a great job with the questions. I'm looking forward to hearing all of your impressions of it when the Handbook ships out tomorrow (for those of you that pre-ordered, that is).

Whoa! Tomorrow? You say what ships out tomorrow? And this handbook you speak of, mayhap I could acquire it soon? Tomorrow even?

Brock Beauchamp
10-23-2012, 07:25 PM

Whoa! Tomorrow? You say what ships out tomorrow? And this handbook you speak of, mayhap I could acquire it soon? Tomorrow even?

The five of us spent a month's time and hundreds of hours (maybe even thousands) putting the Handbook together. You're damned right we're promoting the hell out of it.

old nurse
10-23-2012, 08:02 PM
[QUOTE=TheLeviathan;59493][QUOTE=Brock Beauchamp;59388]The five of us spent a month's time and hundreds of hours (maybe even thousands) putting the Handbook together. You're damned right we're promoting the hell out of it.

I hope you go to other local's website and write comments to their stories to shamelessly plug your book. Don't bother wwith the Leed's football team

Willihammer
10-23-2012, 08:55 PM
You are the metrics geek, ask him about what metrics they use in their analysis of players. You will either be very happy, or others will finally be justified in their comments.In past years when making trades Ryan has found a good number of capable pitchers in other organizations. What does he look for that they other people are missing.

Second Psuedo's question - it's absolutely excellent.

Please consider that you are different from a mainstream sports writer and ask questions from your point of view . Terry Ryan has appeared many places. Please use what makes you different from the mainstream and ask questions from that view. It would be a unique opportunity to shed a light on the Twins from a different perspective.

I will laugh if these questions were included in the Jr interview.

There is no pleasing some people.

TheLeviathan
10-23-2012, 09:05 PM
There is no pleasing some people.

Lighten the F*** up. Jesus. I'm ragging Brock.