PDA

View Full Version : Jim Rantz Retires

Seth Stohs
10-15-2012, 09:00 AM
According to Twins PR Director Dustin Morse, via Twitter:

Senior Director of Minor League Operations & #MNTwins (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MNTwins&src=hash) HOF'er Jim Rantz will retire after 52 years with the club. Congrats Jim!

52 years of time with the Minnesota Twins. He's been there for some downs, and he's been directly responsible for most of the ups. It's hard to argue that he has has as much impact on the Twins organization as anyone. I'm glad he is able to retire on his own decision. He's earned it!! Best wishes to Jim and his family!!

old nurse
10-15-2012, 09:21 AM
He developed the talent he had as well as anyone could have.

Mr. Ed
10-15-2012, 09:25 AM
A new face/new ideas in this position, please.

Jim Crikket
10-15-2012, 11:13 AM
A new face/new ideas in this position, please.

I will be absolutely shocked if the Twins don't promote from within to fill this position, as well as backfill from within to replace whoever gets promoted.

Nevertheless, Seth, get your resume in there!

greengoblinrulz
10-15-2012, 11:21 AM
Glad he went out on his own terms, but glad he's gone as he's one of the most conservative farm directors in baseball.
Time for new blood but im sure Mn will just promote from within again

MWLFan
10-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Jim Rantz is a guy that embodies baseball in Minnesota, his roots trace back to Dick Siebert and the 1960 Gopher National Championship Team. He was involved in bringing countless Minnesotan's into professional baseball, including Goltz,Hrbek, Laudner, Perkins, Neshek and some guy named Mauer.

His time with the Twins involved a lot of low times, Calvin Griffith's later years and the the 1990's post 1992. But his tenure also featured 2 World Championships with mostly homegrown talent. Yes you had the guys that came in from other organizations, but Herbie, Bruno, G-Man, Sweet Music and Puck all came up with the Twins...as did the manager.

So Jim Rantz, my Uncle Ken's 1960 teammate, has done pretty good for Minnesota baseball. Was he perfect, no. Will we in retrospect look back and wish we had him back becasue the new guys is terrible. Probably for some folks this will be true, though probably unfair to the new Farm Director.

Thanks Jim! Enjoy the time away from the grind of the office. My advice. Find a place with great golf, good fishing, good college baseball and a minor league team near by and enjoy the sun and dodge the showers.

mike wants wins
10-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Wow. Overall, he has done a good job. Good luck to him in his next phase of life.

Winston Smith
10-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Jim Rantz is a guy that embodies baseball in Minnesota, his roots trace back to Dick Siebert and the 1960 Gopher National Championship Team. He was involved in bringing countless Minnesotan's into professional baseball, including Goltz,Hrbek, Laudner, Perkins, Neshek and some guy named Mauer.

His time with the Twins involved a lot of low times, Calvin Griffith's later years and the the 1990's post 1992. But his tenure also featured 2 World Championships with mostly homegrown talent. Yes you had the guys that came in from other organizations, but Herbie, Bruno, G-Man, Sweet Music and Puck all came up with the Twins...as did the manager.

So Jim Rantz, my Uncle Ken's 1960 teammate, has done pretty good for Minnesota baseball. Was he perfect, no. Will we in retrospect look back and wish we had him back becasue the new guys is terrible. Probably for some folks this will be true, though probably unfair to the new Farm Director.

Thanks Jim! Enjoy the time away from the grind of the office. My advice. Find a place with great golf, good fishing, good college baseball and a minor league team near by and enjoy the sun and dodge the showers.

They traded with the Angels to get Bruno.

Jim Crikket
10-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Rantz's assistant, 36-year old Brad Steil, will serve as interim farm director. http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/blogs/174229601.html

Not terribly surprising, especially given that Rantz informed the top brass a year ago that 2012 would be his last year on the job.

One thing in Joe C's linked article that I found interesting was Rantz's comment that now was a good time to make the announcement at the organizational meetings, where, "we have about 85 people here." Sounds like a lot of people to me.

twinswon1991
10-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Great news! This org is in desparate need of new blood and a new way of thinking. What TR and Rantz have been doing the last 10 years has been a disaster.

Please go outside the org instead of taking the easy/cheap way and promoting another one of TR's "Good Ole Boys".

TwinsFanInPhilly
10-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Glad he went out on his own terms, but glad he's gone as he's one of the most conservative farm directors in baseball.
Time for new blood but im sure Mn will just promote from within again

Would love to see some empirical evidence to support this claim.

gunnarthor
10-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Great news! This org is in desparate need of new blood and a new way of thinking. What TR and Rantz have been doing the last 10 years has been a disaster.

Please go outside the org instead of taking the easy/cheap way and promoting another one of TR's "Good Ole Boys".

-sigh-

birdwatcher
10-15-2012, 04:31 PM
Just heard Reusse tell the story of when, during the baseball strike, Rantz went off to Illinois to watch his son play baseball, and was told about a chubby little player named Kirby Puckett. Thanks, Mr. Rantz!

Seth Stohs
10-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Rantz's assistant, 36-year old Brad Steil, will serve as interim farm director. http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/blogs/174229601.html.

Hopefully he'll remove the "interim" label soon!! This is the right choice to succeed Rantz. I have no doubt.

mike wants wins
10-15-2012, 05:16 PM
Based on what, Seth? I mean, it isn't like this system is churning out players at the MLB level or that are fundamentally sound, as you yourself have stated.

MWLFan
10-15-2012, 05:40 PM
Winston..you are correct sir. I would like to replace Bruno with Randy Bush, Gene Larkin, Scott Leius, Scott Erickson and Bert Blyleven.

Thrylos
10-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Just heard Reusse tell the story of when, during the baseball strike, Rantz went off to Illinois to watch his son play baseball, and was told about a chubby little player named Kirby Puckett. Thanks, Mr. Rantz!

um
this could have been true other than a little detail: When he was young and in the Twins' minors Kirby was about as "chubby" as Ben Revere is ;)

So file that with the other suburban legends

Thrylos
10-15-2012, 06:11 PM
Interesting quote in that linked Strib article about what Rantz has done to this organization, by the former interim GM:

"You talk about a face of a franchise," General Manager Terry Ryan said. "Even though Jim’s not out there in the public view very much, inside this organization, the roots of the organization -- it is Jim. He hired Gardy. He was part of hiring Billy [Smith]. He was part of hiring me and almost all of our major league coaches and managers and trainers."

So part of the root cause of the Twins' problems is thankfully gone. A few more remain...

Good to see a young 30 something replacing Rantz. At least he grew up with computers

Fire Dan Gladden
10-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Wow. Not even 24 hours and the same old haters can't even give the guy a little respect.

Jim Rantz spent over two/thirds of his life working for the Twins. He was a major part in virtually everything that is and ever has been a part of this team. He was here from Killebrew to Mauer, from the Met to Target Field, from Sam Mele to Gardy, and everything in between. Regardless of what you think he brought to the table, or whether you think he did a good job, you have to respect what he personally gave to this franchise.

For those of you that can't understand this, I am very glad that I don't wake up in the morning with your pitiful outlook on life.

lecroy24fan
10-15-2012, 06:25 PM

um
this could have been true other than a little detail: When he was young and in the Twins' minors Kirby was about as "chubby" as Ben Revere is ;)

So file that with the other suburban legends

Kirby told the story once that I remember. Except the chubby part of course.

Thrylos
10-15-2012, 07:00 PM
Wow. Not even 24 hours and the same old haters can't even give the guy a little respect.

Jim Rantz spent over two/thirds of his life working for the Twins. He was a major part in virtually everything that is and ever has been a part of this team. He was here from Killebrew to Mauer, from the Met to Target Field, from Sam Mele to Gardy, and everything in between. Regardless of what you think he brought to the table, or whether you think he did a good job, you have to respect what he personally gave to this franchise.

For those of you that can't understand this, I am very glad that I don't wake up in the morning with your pitiful outlook on life.

If one thinks that longevity in a position due to factors other than merit, should demand "respect" automatically, methinks THAT Is a pitiful (and mightly pathetic) outlook on life...

birdwatcher
10-15-2012, 07:10 PM
You know, thrylos, some of us like to remember and even celebrate some of the good things, like the Rantz connection to Kirby Puckett.

Leave it to you to come along and piss in the punch bowl. I feel sorry for you.

birdwatcher
10-15-2012, 07:25 PM
The Twins went a full decade not once picking in the top third of the draft (Hicks, 2006, I believe).
If the computerless Rantz (a thrylos rant) was such a big problem, the Twins should certainly have a farm system ranked among the ten worst, right? Instead, the latest rankings will place the Twins certainly in the top third, often higher. Rantz doesn't get all the credit for this, but he deserves much of the praise he gets, most of it coming from people who know what they're talking about. This contrasts with the opinion of some pissant with his snotty little head buried in his little laptop.

twinswon1991
10-15-2012, 07:44 PM
The Twins went a full decade not once picking in the top third of the draft (Hicks, 2006, I believe).
If the computerless Rantz (a thrylos rant) was such a big problem, the Twins should certainly have a farm system ranked among the ten worst, right? Instead, the latest rankings will place the Twins certainly in the top third, often higher. Rantz doesn't get all the credit for this, but he deserves much of the praise he gets, most of it coming from people who know what they're talking about. This contrasts with the opinion of some pissant with his snotty little head buried in his little laptop.

Huh? The Twins have zero, ZERO, pitching prospects in their system other than Berrios. Their top 2 prospects are a free agent purchase (Sano) and last year's #2 pick. They have drafted and developed HORRIBLY. The reason their system has risen so much this year is the #2 pick was signed and they didn't graduate any prospects last year (because they didn't have any good ones) unlike other teams. TB, STL, Oak and other computer literate "new school" teams find prospects every year without picking in the top 1/3 of the draft every year. The Twins under TR have become a good ole boys club with no accountability. They demoted BS to appease the fans even though the astute fans know that TR was behind all of the drafting/scouting when BS was in charge.

I hope this young guy is not just another yes-man who is forced into TR's old school ways of drafting/signing nice guys who are willing to buy into the "Twins Way". The Twins way will be LOSING until they find a way to rid themselves of the old guard who got this organization in this bind.

As a die hard Twins fan I don't want to go another 10+ years without winning a playoff game especially now that payroll is no longer an excuse.

birdwatcher
10-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Huh? Incredibly, twinswon1991, you were able to avoid facts once again. Congratulations.

old nurse
10-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Interesting quote in that linked Strib article about what Rantz has done to this organization, by the former interim GM:

"You talk about a face of a franchise," General Manager Terry Ryan said. "Even though Jimís not out there in the public view very much, inside this organization, the roots of the organization -- it is Jim. He hired Gardy. He was part of hiring Billy [Smith]. He was part of hiring me and almost all of our major league coaches and managers and trainers."

So part of the root cause of the Twins' problems is thankfully gone. A few more remain...

Good to see a young 30 something replacing Rantz. At least he grew up with computers

Are you even aware that computers are only as good ad the person programming them. The same data about players is available now as when when he started. You remain clueless what people of any age are capable of. Brock can give me a weeks vacation from this boar but Thyrloss's cluelessness about people older than thirty is sickening.

Thrylos
10-15-2012, 09:40 PM

"You talk about a face of a franchise," General Manager Terry Ryan said. "Even though Jim’s not out there in the public view very much, inside this organization, the roots of the organization -- it is Jim. He hired Gardy. He was part of hiring Billy [Smith]. He was part of hiring me and almost all of our major league coaches and managers and trainers."

Are you even aware that computers are only as good ad the person programming them. The same data about players is available now as when when he started. You remain clueless what people of any age are capable of. Brock can give me a weeks vacation from this boar but Thyrloss's cluelessness about people older than thirty is sickening.

hmmmm
I suspect that you are referring to me with that "Thyrloss's"...
Unfortunately, I got to confess that I have been personally so not clueless about people older than thirty for the best part of 2 decades now...

TK10
10-15-2012, 09:44 PM
About time. Guy's WAR has been slipping for six straight seasons.

righty8383
10-15-2012, 10:07 PM
Honest question...how involved is the minor league director with drafting? He's not really a scout anymore right? So does he even have any input on drafts and international signings?

Lesser Dali
10-15-2012, 10:08 PM
For the glass half empty guys: he soon will be gone and all of those mediocre years and failed prospects under his reign will be behind you... take a deep breath and enjoy. Savor this moment.

For the glass half full guys: 2 World Championships in 4 years... fantastique! A plethora a very good and a few great great players under his watch... great as well! If you were alive and cognizant of those Championship Years, the joy of those accomplishments remain - an everlasting hangover.

My thought is that it is almost impossible to be a "Arm Chair" Farm Director.

If you are displeased and want to blame someone on the Twin's Mediocrity - blame the owners. After all, they are the ones who have the power to change or not change things.

Seth Stohs
10-16-2012, 02:45 AM

Thank you for writing this!! You are 100% correct!!

Seth Stohs
10-16-2012, 02:48 AM
Honest question...how involved is the minor league director with drafting? He's not really a scout anymore right? So does he even have any input on drafts and international signings?

He's not involved in the drafting at all, or if so, VERY minimally. He also has no (or very minimal) say in the international signings.

birdwatcher
10-16-2012, 04:38 AM
righty8383, thanks for pointing out that Rantz was only in charge of developing the players, and not drafting them. Rantz and about five dozen other employees that is.

birdwatcher
10-16-2012, 04:46 AM
Oh, and Rantz and his staff did such a lousy job developing players that, despite being given so little to work with in the opinion of many of you, he was able to supply the big club with these players this year: Revere, Hendriks, Robertson, Waldrop, Diamond, DeVries, Parmelee, and Dozier.

twinswon1991
10-16-2012, 06:27 AM
Oh, and Rantz and his staff did such a lousy job developing players that, despite being given so little to work with in the opinion of many of you, he was able to supply the big club with these players this year: Revere, Hendriks, Robertson, Waldrop, Diamond, DeVries, Parmelee, and Dozier.

Not to rain on your parade but Diamond may have made it as a #5 on a good team if he even got a chance due to his pedigre and Revere would've played as a nice #4 OF on a contender. The rest don't sniff the bigs in a good organization. Lipstick on a pig....

TwinsFanInPhilly
10-16-2012, 10:00 AM

Ageism is alive and well in the heart of Pennsyl-tucky

nokomismod
10-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Wishing Mr. Rantz the best. That's quite a run and I'm sure the guy has plenty of great stories to tell.

old nurse
10-16-2012, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE=old nurse;58334][QUOTE=thrylos98;58310]Unfortunately, I got to confess that I have been personally so not clueless about people older than thirty for the best part of 2 decades now...

Then are you speaking from experience when you say a thirty something can do a better job than an elder?

The ability to use a computer is not tied to age. I am sure Warren Buffet learned to use one. They were pretty rudimentary in Gates and Wozniak's youth.

gunnarthor
10-16-2012, 11:32 AM
Huh? Incredibly, twinswon1991, you were able to avoid facts once again. Congratulations.

It's his thing. He ignores facts, Thrylos makes them up. The Twins Daily version of Romney/Ryan!

Badsmerf
10-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Farewell to Rantz, can't say I hate to see him go. I know he has put a lot of time in with the Twins, but at some point you have to call it a career. Rantz will be missed by many within the organization. I welcome new ideas in an organization that has few of them.

jokin
10-17-2012, 02:12 AM

It's his thing. He ignores facts, Thrylos makes them up. The Twins Daily version of Romney/Ryan!

Politics-injector always is the loser of the point in question.

jokin
10-17-2012, 02:14 AM
Farewell to Rantz, can't say I hate to see him go. I know he has put a lot of time in with the Twins, but at some point you have to call it a career. Rantz will be missed by many within the organization. I welcome new ideas in an organization that has few of them.

This comment seems to hit all the right notes. I am befuddled by all the people who come on here to advocate for, and blindly defend, maintainance of the status quo.

birdwatcher
10-17-2012, 04:48 AM
jokin, no doubt you're befuddled. Is it possible that some of us just see things differently? How often do you get accused of "blindly attacking" the "status quo"? Not often. I don't observe commenters here advocating to maintain the status quo, but I do observe that some people believe the organization is operating fundamentally well. Of course, it's easy to point to a short-term record as evidence of the need for wholesale change. You could be right. However, some of us carefully regard a number of contributing factors to the current record. We see evidence of change, and believe the organization is directionally on track. Time will tell. No reason for befuddledment, because people are not advocting for and blindly defending maintenance of the statuis quo. People just differ with you about what changes are necessary, so cut them a little slack, OK?. They may actually have a point.

The thing is this: right now, the Twins are holding their annual organizational meetings, attended by roughly 85 employees. According to some of you, this group will be entirely bereft of "new ideas". This group will "blindly defend" the status quo. I for one believe differently. Changes get made all the time. I personally couldn't make a sensible judgment about the quality and performance of this group of people. That would be an act of arrogance. What I hope for and expect is incremental change and improvement.

I for one am really optimistic about 2014 and beyond, and I even expect the 2013 tea to be pretty fun to watch

70charger
10-18-2012, 12:46 AM

Holy crap. I agree with jokin. Who knew? Seriously "gunnarthor." That comment was a massive fail.

old nurse
10-18-2012, 12:55 AM

Holy crap. I agree with jokin. Who knew? Seriously "gunnarthor." That comment was a massive fail.
You all protest the politics but do not disprove the lack of reality by twinswon1991 and Thrylos

Shane Wahl
10-18-2012, 12:55 AM

"You talk about a face of a franchise," General Manager Terry Ryan said. "Even though Jimís not out there in the public view very much, inside this organization, the roots of the organization -- it is Jim. He hired Gardy. He was part of hiring Billy [Smith]. He was part of hiring me and almost all of our major league coaches and managers and trainers."

Haha. Yeah, I am glad that he retired as well.

diehardtwinsfan
10-20-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm not sure I quite get the hate here. It isn't as if the Twins consistently get less out of the talent that they get. If so, he needed to go. I suspect the bigger problem has been talent evaluation, paritcularly with pitching. This team has liked its "nick blackburn" type pitchers for too long. This was in part because they were cheaper and less risky during an era where they had a 60M payroll, and that is defensible to an extent. But that is also why this team has little starting pitching in the upper minors, and that has absolutely nothing to do with Mr. Rantz.

jtrinaldi
10-20-2012, 07:07 PM
There is no reason to bring up politics in a thread like this regardless of political view. On a note of the members bickering with each other, everybody has their own opinions, some people like to make sure everybody knows their opinion. Yes, members on the board have the common sense to realize who is annoyingly aggressive with their opinion, and 95 % of those people who recognize that are mature enough to ignore them. This is a site about the Twins and baseball in general,lets keep it that way.