PDA

View Full Version : Sickels: Preliminary Top 50 Minor League Hitters for 2013

Seth Stohs
10-08-2012, 01:38 PM
http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/10/8/3474442/preliminary-top-50-hitting-prospects-for-2013

Four Twins in the Top 22, and I think one player is missing from this list... Check it out and discuss!

SpantheMan
10-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Sano #6, Buxton #19, Arcia #21, Rosario #22.
That makes our farm system look strong, but it only includes hitters and we probably won't have any pitchers high on the list.

mike wants wins
10-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Sano seems a bit high, Hicks seems a bit low. If Rosario is an outfielder, he probably drops a bit.

SpantheMan
10-08-2012, 01:49 PM
actually we don't have any pitchers in the top 50
http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/10/8/3474586/preliminary-top-50-pitching-prospects-list-for-2013

SpantheMan
10-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Any idea where in the order hicks will hit? Where has he hit in the minors?

James
10-08-2012, 02:50 PM
He started hitting leadoff this year, I believe.

SpiritofVodkaDave
10-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Zunio 8th and Buxton 20th? lol
Hicks should definitely be above Rosario and possibly Arcia.

mike wants wins
10-08-2012, 04:30 PM
You are laughing at a 21 year old catcher in his first minor league season that hit very well AA ball?

mike wants wins
10-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Billy Hamilton drops now that he is outfielder, right?

John Bonnes
10-08-2012, 05:28 PM
So we were wondering how many prospects the Twins might have in BA's top 50 or to 100 list next year. Assuming about an even split between hitters and pitchers, the answer seems to be four or five, but they might all be in the top 50 or thereabouts. That's awfully good to see.

Brock Beauchamp
10-08-2012, 05:32 PM
So we were wondering how many prospects the Twins might have in BA's top 50 or to 100 list next year. Assuming about an even split between hitters and pitchers, the answer seems to be four or five, but they might all be in the top 50 or thereabouts. That's awfully good to see.

I said earlier that I thought it would be five with a possible six players on some lists. I think Gibson is going to pitch himself back onto the list this fall with Berrios having an outside shot.

clutterheart
10-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Next year Twins will have 1 pitcher on this list - Berrios.
With the #4 draft they are sure to get 1 or two more quality arms. Also E-town and the GCL twins had some nice very young pitchers with some nice years.
Players like R. Rosario that Taiwansee kid and a few others are Twins prospects to watch next year.
I feel like the future is very bright.

Seth Stohs
10-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Billy Hamilton drops now that he is outfielder, right?

I'd say that's just a miss. he's a Top 50 guy regardless of position.

Seth Stohs
10-08-2012, 06:49 PM

I'd still guess that Sano and Buxton are both in the top 25-30. Arcia, Rosario and Hicks should all be in the 60-100 range. Frankly, I would not be surprised to see Berrios in the bottom of their top 100.

Seth Stohs
10-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Next year Twins will have 1 pitcher on this list - Berrios.
With the #4 draft they are sure to get 1 or two more quality arms. Also E-town and the GCL twins had some nice very young pitchers with some nice years.
Players like R. Rosario that Taiwansee kid and a few others are Twins prospects to watch next year.
I feel like the future is very bright.

Rosario is certainly intriguing, as is Lo from Taiwan, but it'll be interesting to see how they do in E-Town next year. I mean, there's a reason it was Berrios called up to pitch up there over those guys... I think with some of the draft picks the last couple of years and the return of Gibson and hopefully a similar recovery for Alex Wimmers. I don't think it's as bad as it is... just 2-3 years from now... now, it's a bit slow.

PseudoSABR
10-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Here's a nice resource for 2013 prospect lists, for those interested: http://www.fantasyrundown.com/2013_MLB_Prospects.html

PseudoSABR
10-08-2012, 07:35 PM
I'm also surprised by Hicks absence, given his pedigree and his actual production at AA. Sickels didn't respond to questions about him in the comments, but he must have legitimate reasons for leaving him off.

diehardtwinsfan
10-08-2012, 08:10 PM
not sure I'd rank Buxton over Arcia, Rosario, or Hicks personally.... but these guys love their tools far more than the ones who are actually performing.

kab21
10-08-2012, 08:29 PM
I believe that Sickels is the first guy that is ranking buxton near Arcia and Rosario instead of Sano. I would like to hear his thoughts on that but luckily he always does the Twins first (I think).

I'm very surprised that Hicks wasn't even on the list. This will be interesting to read about when he does the Twins.

SpantheMan
10-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Meaning he was previously in the middle of the order? It seems like he could profile as maybe more of a #2 hitter just because he has a little more pop.

kab21
10-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Hicks spot in the order will be determined by how good he is and team needs. it's really not something to worry about. Ideally I see him as a #2/3 hitter but if he hits .260/.330/.400 he might end up in the lower half. I'm optimistic about him but reasonable expectations should be much higher than that although he has a lot of upside.

Steve Penz
10-09-2012, 08:13 AM
Zunio 8th and Buxton 20th? lol
Hicks should definitely be above Rosario and possibly Arcia.

In the top 50 prospects list for hitters there is no way Hicks should be above Arcia and Rosario.

Badsmerf
10-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Good point. I do think Hicks makes it back on the list with Berrios also finding his way on the back-side of the list. We will find out when the pitchers come out I guess. Plus, this is just Sickles and not everybody.

greengoblinrulz
10-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Is it just Hicks' age that is goin against him??? Did MN hurt his ranking by not calling him up??
Not sure what a guy can find to not like about a player who was top 25 2 yrs ago....guys like McCutcheon, Maybin etc who struggled in minors didnt slip this far

Twins Fan From Afar
10-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Meaning he was previously in the middle of the order? It seems like he could profile as maybe more of a #2 hitter just because he has a little more pop.

The Rock Cats had Hicks batting 5th at the beginning of the season. You're right -- he does have more pop than a Span or Revere type player, but he really came alive after the team moved him up to leadoff. In my opinion, anyway, he began taking better at-bats. I could see him as #2 hitter with Revere in front of him.

Badsmerf
10-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Hopefully by then Revere doesn't have a starting job. I'd like for it to go Arcia/Hicks/Benson. I'm hopeful Benson can have a bounceback season and force his way on the Twins.

ericchri
10-11-2012, 04:06 PM
There's always the same names mentioned, Sano, Buxton, Hicks, Arcia, Rosario, Gibson. Those are pretty much the consensus top 6 for the Twins. Who's next? (Yeah, yeah, I've already pre-ordered the GM Handbook, don't need to point me at that). I guess Berrios? Is Kepler next? How close is he, good enough to work his way onto the list with another good year?

Badsmerf
10-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Berrios and Kepler are next with Benson behind them IMO. After them you get guys like Polanco, Jorge, the big guy at Beloit, Goodrum, and a mess of other with respectable talents that could have a break-out year and find themselves in the top 10. I'm really excited about the Twins top 20, and it will only be better with another high draft selection and most likely a high competitive position as well (love that new format).

gunnarthor
10-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Berrios and Kepler are next with Benson behind them IMO. After them you get guys like Polanco, Jorge, the big guy at Beloit, Goodrum, and a mess of other with respectable talents that could have a break-out year and find themselves in the top 10. I'm really excited about the Twins top 20, and it will only be better with another high draft selection and most likely a high competitive position as well (love that new format).

So we agree that some order of Sano, Buxton, Hicks, Arcia, Rosario, Gibson are 1-6 and Kepler/Berrios would be 7-8. I guess you're right that Benson probably gets put at 9 but I think I'd rank him below Harrison and Goodrum at this point.

Twins Twerp
10-12-2012, 02:53 PM

What do you mean by high competitive postion?