2. Alcides Escobar, SS
3. Alex Gordon, LF
4. Billy Butler, DH
5. Salvador Perez, C
6. Mike Moustakas, 3B
7. Lorenzo Cain, CF
8. Eric Hosmer, 1B
9. Johnny Giavotella, 2B
Starting pitcher: RH Luis Mendoza (7-9, 4.63 ERA)
TWINS (59-84)
1. Denard Span, CF
2. Ben Revere, RF
3. Josh Willingham, DH
4. Justin Morneau, 1B
5. Trevor Plouffe, 3B
6. Darin Mastroianni, LF
7. Eduardo Escobar, 2B
8. Drew Butera, C
9. Pedro Florimon, SS
Starting pitcher: RH Liam Hendriks (0-7, 6.20 ERA)

glunn
09-13-2012, 07:15 PM
It would be nice for Hendriks to get at least one win this year. But today's lineup does not seem to be designed to score a lot of runs.

Riverbrian
09-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Hey Glunn... How's things in California. I'm watching Hendriks and hoping for good things. I did the same thing watching Terry Felton many years ago.

glunn
09-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Hey Glunn... How's things in California. I'm watching Hendriks and hoping for good things. I did the same thing watching Terry Felton many years ago.

The weather here is beautiful and the women are still magnificent. I share your hopes for Hendriks, but he is off to a bad start today with two early runs and men still on base. I will need to google Terry Felton.

glunn
09-13-2012, 07:28 PM
Now I understand the Terry Felton reference. I pray that Hendriks does not shatter Felton's record.

JB_Iowa
09-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Congrats to Willinghammer. Could he have trotted more slowly, though?

Riverbrian
09-13-2012, 07:42 PM
Now I understand the Terry Felton reference. I pray that Hendriks does not shatter Felton's record.

Felton had some stuff. It didn't help him though. He did not survive 1982. 0 and 13 is hard on job security. Hendriks has to be tying himself in knots mentally right now. Gardy tells him to attack the zone and the Royals bang out two runs in the 1st.

glunn
09-13-2012, 07:46 PM

Felton had some stuff. It didn't help him though. He did not survive 1982. 0 and 13 is hard on job security. Hendriks has to be tying himself in knots mentally right now. Gardy tells him to attack the zone and the Royals bang out two runs in the 1st.

Assuming that it's not a banned substance, I would recommend that Hendriks get a prescription for Inderal. Inderal reduces the production of adrenaline and performers use it to prevent stage fright (http://twinsdaily.com/www.minddisorders.com/Ob-Ps/Propranolol.html).

glunn
09-13-2012, 07:48 PM
I just got the following error message -- "Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting."

Did I do something wrong?

JB_Iowa
09-13-2012, 07:49 PM
The site has seemed "wonky" today. I've had to sign in about 4 times.

Riverbrian
09-13-2012, 07:53 PM
I've been fine so far. The site has been normal as far as I can tell. U2 are in trouble or something. Too many negative posts from the both of you.

greengoblinrulz
09-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Would anything be better than seeing Butera get hurt (w/Mauer/Doumit unavailable tonight). Took that foul tip off his wrist....got my attention

Riverbrian
09-13-2012, 07:55 PM
What's up with Doumit?

Riverbrian
09-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Clay Matthews needs a hair cut. Oops sorry... Wrong sport.

glunn
09-13-2012, 07:57 PM
I've been fine so far. The site has been normal as far as I can tell. U2 are in trouble or something. Too many negative posts from the both of you.

My negative posts have focused on my own despair not attacking anyone.

Riverbrian
09-13-2012, 08:01 PM

You know I was kidding right? I always read your posts cuz I know you are coming from a good place.

Brock Beauchamp
09-13-2012, 08:02 PM
We're coming after you, Glunn.

Seriously, though... I think the server was just lagging a bit. I approved your post. It never should have been held in the first place.

Riverbrian
09-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Lol... JB Iowa is ok as well?

JB_Iowa
09-13-2012, 08:05 PM

Maybe that's why DPJ has seemingly disappeared today. :)

glunn
09-13-2012, 08:09 PM

You know I was kidding right? I always read your posts cuz I know you are coming from a good place.

Thanks, Brian. I bleed Twins blue.

USAFChief
09-13-2012, 08:10 PM
This site has been slow for me for a couple days now.

glunn
09-13-2012, 08:11 PM

Seriously, though... I think the server was just lagging a bit. I approved your post. It never should have been held in the first place.

Is there someplace I can look to see if Inderal is a banned substance in baseball? I have used it myself when giving speeches and it virtually eliminates stage fright. If Hendriks could use this, it might help him a lot.

Riverbrian
09-13-2012, 08:14 PM
Brock is picking people off... Mmm... I was noticing a red laser like dot on my chest earlier. I changed seats... Just in case.

JB_Iowa
09-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Iowa is good - nice and cool today and we actually had a 1/2 inch of rain yesterday. Although my Hawkeyes look like (seomething I won's mention here).

The boys need to get Hendriks some runs here.

Riverbrian
09-13-2012, 08:16 PM

Is there someplace I can look to see if Inderal is a banned substance in baseball? I have used it myself when giving speeches and it virtually eliminates stage fright. If Hendriks could use this, it might help him a lot.

A large dose of Tequila does the same thing for me.

greengoblinrulz
09-13-2012, 08:17 PM
What's up with Doumit?

Rib strain .....day to day, so possibly out for year??

Riverbrian
09-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Iowa... Percentage of Hawkeye/Cyclone Fans? Is there any reason to be a primary Northern Iowa or Drake Fan with those big programs hanging around? Is the allegiance geographical?

Riverbrian
09-13-2012, 08:20 PM
What's up with Doumit?

Seriously... It's playoff time in my fantasy league. Doumit is my #1.

glunn
09-13-2012, 08:20 PM

Me too, but Inderal does not affect your ability to perform complex tasks like Tequila does.

glunn
09-13-2012, 08:21 PM
What's up with Doumit?

Let's hope that there is not a lot of money at stake in your fantasy league.

Riverbrian
09-13-2012, 08:25 PM
What's up with Doumit?

Let's hope that there is not a lot of money at stake in your fantasy league.

200 bucks... It's not the money... I wanna win!!! If I can keep winning my fantasy league every year. Eventually the Twins will notice and give me the GM job.

JB_Iowa
09-13-2012, 08:26 PM
I couldn't find anything on baseball specifically (although I could just be overlooking it in this article). But this: http://sportsanddrugs.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002037

has Propranolol (I think that's what Inderal is) banned.

(And the Hawkeye/Clone split is somewhat but not entirely geographical. Since they are both state institutions and UNI as well, a lot of allegience is just due to where people went to school).

Riverbrian
09-13-2012, 08:28 PM

Me too, but Inderal does not affect your ability to perform complex tasks like Tequila does.

Lol.. Complex tasks... You mean like standing at the podium instead of leaning on it. Starting every sentence with... Seriously Dude... You gotta listen... Listen... Seriously...

JB_Iowa
09-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Actually it looks like Propranolol may not be banned in baseball.

I could find stuff on precision sports like golf and shooting but nothing on baseball specifically.

Riverbrian
09-13-2012, 08:31 PM
I couldn't find anything on baseball specifically (although I could just be overlooking it in this article). But this: http://sportsanddrugs.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002037

has Propranolol (I think that's what Inderal is) banned.

(And the Hawkeye/Clone split is somewhat but not entirely geographical. Since they are both state institutions and UNI as well, a lot of allegience is just due to where people went to school).

I have the outside impression that Iowa is the biggie in the state. I've only driven through Iowa. The best thing in Iowa is those Maid Rites.

USAFChief
Major league play, Plouffsie.

I've said this before, and believe it to be true: Plouffe has the physical ability to be a damn good third baseman, and when he exhibits throwing problems, it tends to be when he has too much time to think about it. That's fixable.

Top Gun
Ryan Doumit is out of Thursday's lineup with a strained muscle in his rib cage.

He's considered day-to-day for now. Drew Butera will start behind the plate Thursday while Josh Willingham serves as the designated hitter and Darin Mastroianni plays left field.
Related: Josh Willingham (http://twinsdaily.com/player/mlb/3911/josh-willingham), Drew Butera (http://twinsdaily.com/player/mlb/5235/drew-butera), Darin Mastroianni (http://twinsdaily.com/player/mlb/6483/darin-mastroianni)

Source: Joe Christensen on Twitter (https://twitter.com/JoeCStrib/status/246368954828849152)

greengoblinrulz
09-13-2012, 08:35 PM
that Butler ball is the reason that Revere needs to play CF, not Span. Dont know if he catches it, but he doesnt pull up like Denard always does.

Riverbrian
09-13-2012, 08:37 PM

I've said this before, and believe it to be true: Plouffe has the physical ability to be a damn good third baseman, and when he exhibits throwing problems, it tends to be when he has too much time to think about it. That's fixable.

I'm with ya... Plouffe stayed at SS for a long time. If he didn't have the defensive skill to play 3B. He would have been moved from SS a long time ago.

At the plate... He's just back to chasing again. He's got to be more selective at the plate. Hopefully he'll figure it put again.

JB_Iowa
09-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Well, I live in northwest Iowa and Iowa State is bigger here than in the eastern part of the State. But there are also a lot of Cornhusker fans.

LOl on maid rites. They are more of a central-eastern Iowa thing as well.

My part of Iowa seemingly has more in common with the Dakotas than with a lot of the state of Iowa.

JB_Iowa
09-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Ryan Doumit is out of Thursday's lineup with a strained muscle in his rib cage.

He's considered day-to-day for now. Drew Butera will start behind the plate Thursday while Josh Willingham serves as the designated hitter and Darin Mastroianni plays left field.
Related: Josh Willingham (http://twinsdaily.com/player/mlb/3911/josh-willingham), Drew Butera (http://twinsdaily.com/player/mlb/5235/drew-butera), Darin Mastroianni (http://twinsdaily.com/player/mlb/6483/darin-mastroianni)

Source: Joe Christensen on Twitter (https://twitter.com/JoeCStrib/status/246368954828849152)

Starting to look like the Twins might have been smart to spend a little $$$ on a few more September call-ups.

Riverbrian
09-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Two flipping hits... They were back to back... Nothing since. Are we facing Mendoza or Saberhagen? Swinging at some real bad stuff.

JB_Iowa
09-13-2012, 08:45 PM
White Sox - Tigers cancelled. Was hoping the Sox would just have a late game tonight.

Riverbrian
09-13-2012, 08:47 PM
White Sox - Tigers cancelled. Was hoping the Sox would just have a late game tonight.

With the White Sox I usually hope for Polio

greengoblinrulz
09-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Two flipping hits... They were back to back... Nothing since. Are we facing Mendoza or Saberhagen? Swinging at some real bad stuff.

when you just give up the position at 3 spots (Florimon/Escobar/Butera)...you gotta expect that

Top Gun
09-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Liriano or Sele tomorrow?

glunn
09-13-2012, 08:57 PM

Lol.. Complex tasks... You mean like standing at the podium instead of leaning on it. Starting every sentence with... Seriously Dude... You gotta listen... Listen... Seriously...

Seriously, it is used by musicians who must retain a high level of dexterity, including concert pianists. And I have never had any side effects, except a complete loss of any feelings of stress.

Riverbrian
09-13-2012, 08:58 PM

when you just give up the position at 3 spots (Florimon/Escobar/Butera)...you gotta expect that

2 hits 16 official at bats is .125. We could bat the Padres pitching staff and expect two hits of of Mendoza. I think it has more to do with the Twins being way too aggrssive at the plate and swinging at pitches they shouldn't.

Riverbrian
09-13-2012, 09:01 PM
Glunn what do you do... If you don't mind me asking?

Riverbrian
09-13-2012, 09:03 PM

Id guess Sale.

glunn
09-13-2012, 09:05 PM

I am a lawyer -- estate planning and prenups. What do you do, my friend?

JB_Iowa
09-13-2012, 09:05 PM

Sale. Frankie's in the BP.

Riverbrian
09-13-2012, 09:11 PM

Whatever my wife tells me to do... Right now she is making me handle some radio stations.

glunn
09-13-2012, 09:22 PM

Whatever my wife tells me to do... Right now she is making me handle some radio stations.

Obedience -- the key to any happy marriage.

Riverbrian
09-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Nice AB by the hammer. Morneau will do his job now.

snepp
09-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Yeesh.

glunn
09-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Morneau looked pretty bad there -- was he really expecting the 0-2 pitch to be a strike?

USAFChief
09-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Morneau looked pretty bad there -- was he really expecting the 0-2 pitch to be a strike?

He was if he spends much time watching the Twins pitching staff.

Riverbrian
I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure he didn't expect it to dive into the dirt.

snepp
-- was he really expecting the 0-2 pitch to be a strike?

Too much time spent watching the Twins staff.

USAFChief
09-13-2012, 09:55 PM
-- was he really expecting the 0-2 pitch to be a strike?

Too much time spent watching the Twins staff.

You're getting a bit slow on the draw, Snepp.

glunn
09-13-2012, 09:58 PM
I wonder whether the concussions might still be a factor. Morneau seems to me to a bit slower to react than he used to be.

snepp

Same time stamp! :D

Riverbrian
Plouffe!

snepp
PLOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUFSiE!

JB_Iowa
09-13-2012, 09:59 PM
What do you know? Plouffeeeeee!

glunn
09-13-2012, 09:59 PM
That at bat could not have gone any better. I vote for Willingham to be the new hitting coach.

USAFChief
09-13-2012, 10:00 PM

Same time stamp! :D

pfft. Two posts late, in my book.

greengoblinrulz
09-13-2012, 10:02 PM
Oswaldo Arcia wouldnt look good as a PH here would he??

glunn
09-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Oswaldo Arcia wouldnt look good as a PH here would he??

Totally, and he deserves to be there.

glunn
09-13-2012, 10:06 PM
Joe Nathan had a terrible game tonight -- 4 hits, 3 runs and no outs when he left. I hope that he is not injured.

glunn
09-13-2012, 10:25 PM
We win!

one_eyed_jack
09-13-2012, 10:35 PM
We're sitting in last place at the tail end of a disappointing season, but I still love me a walk-off W. Fun to watch.

We'd be in sole possession of 4th if Nathan hadn't choked.

Oh well, here's hoping that I'm sitting in stunned disbelief tomorrow night as I watch the Twins rough up Sale and strike a blow to the Whities playoff hopes.

Top Gun
09-13-2012, 10:44 PM
Good game, nice win for the Twins.

Top Gun
09-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Francisco Liriano will be skipped in the rotation Friday following Thursday's rainout.

Liriano was expected to return from the bullpen to start Friday against the Twins, but the rainout will allow the White Sox to skip him altogether. Chris Sale, Jose Quintana and Jake Peavy will start this weekend while Gavin Floyd is expected to pitch Monday's makeup game against the Tigers.
Source: Mark Gonzales on Twitter (https://twitter.com/MDGonzales/status/246422468569477121)

jokin
09-14-2012, 12:14 AM

From the depths of despair yesterday to the faintest glimmers of hope tonight. For the Twins to have any chance at success in 2013 is largely dependent on some quantum jumps up in consistent major-league level performances next year by the fringy and prospect-level guys like Trevor, Parmelee, Revere, (Hicks? Arcia?) and the pitching staff. Plouffe had a real nice clutch AB in the 9th against a very talented up-and-coming premiere-potential reliever- but the biggest turn-the-corner play that helped make the HR possible was that stop of the screamer to his right in the 5th. It appears one of the keys to his continued success at the plate is solidifying his play in the field at 3B.

FWIW- ESPN had his defensive gem as the #3 play of the day- behind only the Marchado walk-off and the Packers fake field goal TD.

jokin
09-14-2012, 01:33 AM
Did anyone else notice that the Dick Bremer calling the game tonight was from a slightly similar parallel universe? Early on, he insisted that Plouffe hadn't hit a homerun since early July, and then in the 9th, after the Trevor longball correctly noted by Bert as # 21, Dick then interjected: "Plouffe finally gets his 20th Homerun!"

Fairly odd...